Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Goalpost shift emphasized.

The depth of a performance is entirely composed of the range of emotions an actor brings to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

I'm not sure what you are trying to demonstrate by showing a blank picture

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

The depth of a performance is entirely composed of the range of emotions an actor brings to it.

What an odd claim.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

What an odd claim.

Can you elaborate?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It is when you try to tackle attachment to or perception of one's humanity. If superman really turned out to be as unfeeling or unemotive as his portrayal batman would be vindicated in his hunt. The revelation that he found out supes has some semblance of humanity rather than the alien, impersonal force of nature he was assumed to be is what stopped batman.

Nonsense, plenty of incredibly non-naturalistic/expressionist films address humanist themes. Metropolis, 2001, Solaris, etc.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

No.

Anyways how are you doing man, everything good where you are? I'd like to think so, so that this internet bullshit doesn't pile on you too much, but you never know anymore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Judakel posted:

Would you feel the same way if you had not seen the film and superimposed the fullness of the performance per the film onto that still image?

Of course you have to see the movie first in order to judge the still photo! How the hell are you supposed to know how much of the performance is captured in the photo without the context of having seen the film?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

Can you elaborate?

Among other things, performances include the selection of and transition between displays of emotion to convey complex internal thoughts or conflicting states. You can see this in the scenes between Clark and Lois. Henry Cavill tends to beam out one particular emotion with each line, and he's got perfectly fine range for this. Amy Adams frequently moves between different emotions, sometimes just in the buildup to a line, to convey what she's going through in thinking through her response. She gives a deeper performance, but not one built out of conveying a greater range of emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUrryh9kh5U

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Judakel posted:

No, reread my posts.

Judakel posted:

If you didn't have such a vendetta, you might've realized it is a pretty simple point.

Judakel posted:

Why do you make me repeat myself?

Ever wondered if the problem wasn't with other posters' reading comprehension, but with you being amazingly lovely at making points?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nonsense, plenty of incredibly non-naturalistic/expressionist films address humanist themes. Metropolis, 2001, Solaris, etc.

Yeah but the framework to support that does not exist in BvS. The cinematography, the design, the dialogue. It's not there.
To try to find one in there is to give Snyder much more credit than he is due.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Among other things, performances include the selection of and transition between displays of emotion to convey complex internal thoughts or conflicting states. You can see this in the scenes between Clark and Lois. Henry Cavill tends to beam out one particular emotion with each line, and he's got perfectly fine range for this. Amy Adams frequently moves between different emotions, sometimes just in the buildup to a line, to convey what she's going through in thinking through her response. She gives a deeper performance, but not one built out of conveying a greater range of emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUrryh9kh5U

Transitioning between displays of emotion to convey complex internal thoughts or conflicting states is all part of conveying a range of emotions. Cavill fails to transition in a smooth and subtle way.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

Ever wondered if the problem wasn't with other posters' reading comprehension, but with you being amazingly lovely at making points?

No, I am usually very clear when I am not joking. Sometimes there is a need to define terms because other people may not be used to them, but that is about it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

Transitioning between displays of emotion to convey complex internal thoughts or conflicting states is all part of conveying a range of emotions. Cavill fails to transition in a smooth and subtle way.

What is used in "conveying a range" is not the range itself. It's completely unsurprising you'd decide to conflate the two, but it's not particularly convincing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

No, I am usually very clear when I am not joking. Sometimes there is a need to define terms because other people may not be used to them, but that is about it.

If you have to say "No, that's not what I said! Read my post again!" every two posts, your posts are lovely my friend.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Saying Cavill emotes with his face seems like the most faint praise one can give to an actor. Like, that's the bare minimum.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Saying Cavill emotes with his face seems like the most faint praise one can give to an actor. Like, that's the bare minimum.

Go and watch a few episodes of Columbo to see a guy emoting with his hands. Body language is a thing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

WampaLord posted:

People note it because he's very expressive with his face. But you're basically right, which is why it's funny that people try to deny him that rather than any number of other comments they could make about his ability.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

WampaLord posted:

The original complaint was "Cavill always has the same expression! He's a robot!" which is what the pictures were about. This is why people have been complaining about goalpost shifting, this is what it does and why it's used. Arguments are shifted back and forth at such a breakneck pace that something as simple as "uh no Cavill can emote with his face" looks like someone stating something insipidly obvious, but it was a direct response to people saying he couldn't do that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

WampaLord posted:

It's how well he does that I am praising. Some actors act through their dialogue using tone of voice, others use strong body language, and some just play themselves in various roles. Facial expressions aren't necessarily a bare minimum, it's just part of the bag of tricks.

e: sorry for the dogpile haha

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

When does the hype machine for Doctor Strange start up? We've gotten two trailers, which may be it now that I think on it. Marvel does tend to do the whole "145 clips before the movie is even out" thing though. Maybe they want to maintain some mystery when it comes to Doctor Strange.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
We're not going to be able to come to some final evaluation of Cavill as an actor based on his Superman because of the nature of the character and the way Goyer and Snyder write/direct.

Only thing we can do is evaluate what he's done with what he has to work with, and I really don't think there's much more he could be bringing to the role than what he already has.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Judakel posted:

You can't, you moron. Not Brando, not a young De Niro, not Clift, not Day-Lewis.

You couldn't have picked four worse examples. All four are and were obviously very attentive to body language and facial expressions because they're actors!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

What is used in "conveying a range" is not the range itself. It's completely unsurprising you'd decide to conflate the two, but it's not particularly convincing.

There is no conflating. Human beings do not switch between emotions mechanically, and we are talking about a human character's range of emotions. A performance is entirely composed of this range.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You couldn't have picked four worse examples. All four are and were obviously very attentive to body language and facial expressions because they're actors!

But the full depth of their great performances cannot be captured in one or a handful of still images, as I have already argued in posts you did not read.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

Go and watch a few episodes of Columbo to see a guy emoting with his hands. Body language is a thing.

Better yet, watch Columbo because it loving owns bones.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

A performance is entirely composed of this range.

It is composed of this range, but the nature of the composition is not built out of the extent of the range but also the choices made of expression within it. A painting is composed of a range of color, but the painting is not defined just by its range, but also how that range of color is applied to a canvas to form a picture.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

If you have to say "No, that's not what I said! Read my post again!" every two posts, your posts are lovely my friend.

Did you understand them?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Judakel posted:

But the full depth of their great performances cannot be captured in one or a handful of still images, as I have already argued in posts you did not read.

I brought up an example, and you counterpoint was that I had already seen the movie therefore I was superimposing the performance onto the image. Are you saying you can tell if a performance is going to be lovely based on a single still photo even before you see the movie?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah but the framework to support that does not exist in BvS. The cinematography, the design, the dialogue. It's not there.
To try to find one in there is to give Snyder much more credit than he is due.

Give me an example of how "the cinematography, the design, the dialogue" don't fit the characterization.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 11, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WampaLord posted:

Judakel posted:

Full depth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cool kids inc. posted:

When does the hype machine for Doctor Strange start up? We've gotten two trailers, which may be it now that I think on it. Marvel does tend to do the whole "145 clips before the movie is even out" thing though. Maybe they want to maintain some mystery when it comes to Doctor Strange.

It comes out November 4th, so 3 months from now? Early-Mid September maybe. It doesn't look like there's too much around it until Fantastic Beasts comes out, so they might do a last minute push starting in October.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

It is composed of this range, but the nature of the composition is not built out of the extent of the range but also the choices made of expression within it. A painting is composed of a range of color, but the painting is not defined just by its range, but also how that range of color is applied to a canvas to form a picture.

Now you're talking about choices, which are not part of what a performance is composed of, but instead are conscious decisions made by the actor which we are not privy to in any direct way. These meta-processes are kept private by the actor. We only witness the range itself, which is the full extent of the range and the transitions between emotions.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Basebf555 posted:

I brought up an example, and you counterpoint was that I had already seen the movie therefore I was superimposing the performance onto the image. Are you saying you can tell if a performance is going to be lovely based on a single still photo even before you see the movie?

No, I am saying the exact opposite.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

Now you're talking about choices, which are not part of what a performance is composed of, but instead are conscious decisions made by the actor which we are not privy to in any direct way. These meta-processes are kept private by the actor. We only witness the range itself, which is the full extent of the range and the transitions between emotions.

I like how you say that the range is both "the full extent of the range" and then also another thing, like we wouldn't notice.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Give me an example of how "the cinematography, the design, the dialogue" don't fit the characterization.

I originally had nearly the exact same thing written but I decided not to post it. I would like to get some concrete examples of movies with design that fit the humanist theme or dialogue that fits the humanist theme or ESPECIALLY cinematography that fits the humanist theme. Like, I'm genuinely excited to see this.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 11, 2016

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Couldn't find a similar infographic for Clarks but here's a comparative study of Bruces

The funniest part about this graph is that someone, somewhere thinks they have the chest measurements for 'Comic book Batman' catalogued.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

Did you understand them?

Yes. They are dumb.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not the characterization. The claim that BvS is exploring those themes in some avant garde way.
Cinematography wise: It's shot super conventionally/conservatively. Thread has talked about this before better than I have.
Design wise it's just a string of 'what looks coolest'. Why does superman look like he does? because that's his established design? If he popped out more as distinctly alien or different in contrast to the myriad bland backgrounds it would have been a credit to the movie. It's a shame that they didnt play around with contrasts and lighting.
To draw from the comics:

In this certain series Batman is always portrayed as a shadowy silhouette, as top left. Until this set of panels. (I wanted the entire movie to be like Sir Kodiak's avatar)
Dialogue was bland my first philosophy forums posts back and forth between characters.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Like, I'm genuinely excited to see this.

cripes you're expecting a bit much of me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I originally had nearly the exact same thing written but I decided not to post it. I would like to get some concrete examples of movies with design that fit the humanitarian theme or dialogue that fits the humanitarian theme or ESPECIALLY cinematography that fits the humanitarian theme. Like, I'm genuinely excited to see this.

You mean humanist, not humanitarian.

• Locked thread