Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yes, we get it, games are counterrevolutionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I played Risk and literally genocided all of Africa.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey! This CAH and racism stuff and Trump all go together.

This Vox article has posted a series of tweets by a dude who points out that 'just joking' normalizes things like racism.

Since I'm not able to correctly finagle this into working inline in thread, here's a link to the article instead.

quote:

This, Steed explains, is why "it’s a joke" isn’t a good defense of racist jokes. By telling the joke, the person is signaling that they think racism is an appropriate thing to express. "Just joking" is just what someone says to the people who don’t appreciate hearing racist stuff — it shouldn’t matter any more than saying "no offense" after saying something offensive.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

SedanChair posted:

It's a class thing, I guess. Rude plebs need to be shepherded through a gauntlet of activities to keep them from thinking.

SedanChair doesn't have parties, but get-togethers. When he gets together with his friends, they stand in a featureless room speaking to each other in quiet tones, like normal adults. After the prescribed 4 hours of appropriate talking (each person taking breaks appropriately to allow others to participate in the conversation, which occurs in a circle with each person allowed eye contact with the others) they each shake hands and leave.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dexo posted:

I'm bored so I'll engage. What's racist about Black people?

"Black People" is one of the 'answer' cards. Meaning, someone plays an offensive mad-lib, like "The only thing I hate more than ______ is Mondays!" and you play 'black people'

And it's oh-so-funny.

Because you see, there is nothing funnier than a phrase weighted with hundreds of years of continuous, torturous oppression and literal chattel slavery.

The rest of the deck is 'Same thing, but for literally every group that isn't straight white male boardgame designers'

The whole thrust of the game is it gives you cover to express your racist/transphobic/sexist beliefs, and hide under a veil of dead-baby and holocaust jokes.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Deadulus posted:

Did you do the housing shortage strategy?

Nah, just got really lucky early on. Plus I was using the shoe, which everyone knows is the winning-est piece.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bip Roberts posted:

I played Risk and literally genocided all of Africa.

So you roll-played as Belgium?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

"Black People" is one of the 'answer' cards. Meaning, someone plays an offensive mad-lib, like "The only thing I hate more than ______ is Mondays!" and you play 'black people'

And it's oh-so-funny.

Because you see, there is nothing funnier than a phrase weighted with hundreds of years of continuous, torturous oppression and literal chattel slavery.

The rest of the deck is 'Same thing, but for literally every group that isn't straight white male boardgame designers'

The whole thrust of the game is it gives you cover to express your racist/transphobic/sexist beliefs, and hide under a veil of dead-baby and holocaust jokes.

So serious :smugdog:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Crow Jane posted:

Nah, just got really lucky early on. Plus I was using the shoe, which everyone knows is the winning-est piece.

You're thinking of the Race car. Idiot.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

And it's oh-so-funny.

the game allows you to make fun of heteronormativity and white privilige as well

just because a game is stupidly transgressive doesn't mean it's the sole domain of cishet white men, this is the kind of empty posturing that discredits leftism by reflexively tarring "thing i dont like" as "bastion of whiteness"

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

MariusLecter posted:

You're thinking of the Race car. Idiot.

Look at this stupid pleb not knowing the Battleship is the best.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey! This CAH and racism stuff and Trump all go together.

This Vox article has posted a series of tweets by a dude who points out that 'just joking' normalizes things like racism.

Since I'm not able to correctly finagle this into working inline in thread, here's a link to the article instead.

It greatly depends on context. There are two potential jokes - "haha black people" and "haha the concept of racism". One reinforces it, one undermines it. It entirely depends on whether it's satirical or not.

There are numerous cards recognizing that white people are the worst

edit: one must be careful when making "racist jokes" to an audience that are an attempt to undermine racism, because satire straight up doesn't work on half the population, the same reason that Dave Chappelle quit his show back in the day

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the game allows you to make fun of heteronormativity and white privilige as well

just because a game is stupidly transgressive doesn't mean it's the sole domain of cishet white men, this is the kind of empty posturing that discredits leftism by reflexively tarring "thing i dont like" as "bastion of whiteness"

Yeah but making fun of heteronormativity and white privilege has no effect, so the end result of CAH is to promote racism

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crow Jane posted:

The only winning move is not to play.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

And it's oh-so-funny.

The worst part of the game is that everyone I know likes it so I get to find out which kinds of bigots my friends of friends are when someone brings it to a party.

Also the second someone busts it out the entire party huddles around instead of whatever they were doing.

Shame on whoever it was that needed am excuse to drink lmfao

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Yeah but making fun of heteronormativity and white privilege have no effect, so the end result of CAH is to promote racism

i dunno man i play games to entertain myself and friends, not to launch the revolution. maybe this is why i deserve the reeducation camp

watch this get spun as "yeah well you play racist games with your cracker friends"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

And it's oh-so-funny.

I haven't played black people in that situation. though i suppose even if I did it would come off way differently.

I mean, gently caress, this forum and Twitter gives people the opportunity to be racist. Some people take them up on it others don't. It's all who you play with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"I'm not racist, I hate everyone" --CAH players when stripped of the ability to express themselves through slips of paper they have purchased

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
there are no games. there is only politics

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

It's actually about ethics in raunchy copycat board games.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

maybe just don't take a card game so seriously, i dunno

USPOL August: Donald Trump probably plays Cards Against Humanity

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
People not playing Settlers of Catan and Merchants and Marauders are human garbage IMHO :colbert:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The same people that use CAH as a veil to make racist jokes are people who are people who are going to do the same during any other social activity.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I play scrabble sometimes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I spend a good deal of my time volunteering at a game store, one which is a registered Safe Space and fosters inclusion and has worked hard to chase out the young white libertarian shithead male demo that makes games stores (and hobby gaming in general) hostile to women and minorities. The people who still come in and play CAH in the cafe are the worst humans on the planet without exception. CAH has lasting appeal only to racists/everything-else-ists, and if someone says they love it, that's a huge red flag.

Zerilan posted:

The same people that use CAH as a veil to make racist jokes are people who are people who are going to do the same during any other social activity.
Yeah, so maybe giving them a vehicle to distill down and/or get others to engage or normalize that poo poo is A Bad Thing.

I mean, there's no excuse for "A Poorly-Disguised Tranny" to exist, yet there it is in CAH, like that's an acceptable punchline. (to Max's credit, they took that out of future printings, but it still was printed)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 11, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I spend a good deal of my time volunteering at a game store, one which is a registered Safe Space and fosters inclusion and has worked hard to chase out the young white libertarian shithead male demo that makes games stores (and hobby gaming in general) hostile to women and minorities. The people who still come in and play CAH in the cafe are the worst humans on the planet without exception. CAH has lasting appeal only to racists/everything-else-ists, and if someone says they love it, that's a huge red flag.

ok thats great but you're confusing a stupid board game with a demographic of people you dont like

i'm not trying to defend CAH here like i said i think it's a boring game but you're kind of being a little touch hyperbolic

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The Challenger Explosion and Boistrous were a fun combo in A2A.

SedanChair posted:

"I'm not racist, I hate everyone" --CAH players when stripped of the ability to express themselves through slips of paper they have purchased

Hey, what's wrong with hating everyone? Is there some sort of problem with being an utter misanthrope?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Boon posted:

People not playing Settlers of Catan and Merchants and Marauders are human garbage IMHO :colbert:

It's about the cones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0BrozMucE

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MariusLecter posted:

You're thinking of the Race card. Idiot.

The best way to play Monopoly.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
*A joke about the sexual abuse of a child*

"Ha ha, wow, that's so bad lol. But I am very chill and nothing phases me"

*An article about how a thing you like can be racist*

"Whoa. Hold up. Not cool bro. Not cool. How can you say that about my nerdgame, and by extension, me, and furthermore..."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I love to play this game because it lets me put together bigoted statements I definitely don't think are funny or true. I should not be judged by the things I say or laugh at, during this activity. I don't actually think the cards say valuable or amusing things, which is why I bought them and play with them often.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bang the dice game is much better than the card game just saying.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sharkie posted:

*A joke about the sexual abuse of a child*

"Ha ha, wow, that's so bad lol. But I am very chill and nothing phases me"

*An article about how a thing you like can be racist*

"Whoa. Hold up. Not cool bro. Not cool. How can you say that about my nerdgame, and by extension, me, and furthermore..."

"I am not mad, I am making fun of you and your Care" *turns beet red, votes Johnson*

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Discuss.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Or take the passive-aggressive route and hide cards like "black people" with the blanks in one of the add-on boxes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
CAH has more cards about jews so i dont understand why these so called 'allies' are trying to distract from the inherent anti-semitism of the game by complaining about racism

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Using the "White Privilege" card on this combo instead makes me laugh every time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

i dunno man i play games to entertain myself and friends, not to launch the revolution. maybe this is why i deserve the reeducation camp

watch this get spun as "yeah well you play racist games with your cracker friends"

real talk, it's weird seeing you post in the rimworld thread.

double real talk, i want to play rimworld so bad, but I just moved and I have a bunch of stuff to do. :(

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

CAH has more cards about jews so i dont understand why these so called 'allies' are trying to distract from the inherent anti-semitism of the game by complaining about racism

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I mean, yeah, this is America?

• Locked thread