Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

CAH has more cards about jews so i dont understand why these so called 'allies' are trying to distract from the inherent anti-semitism of the game by complaining about racism

This is a baffling post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I hate CAH because when people play that I can't get anyone to play Catan

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
it is impossible to laugh at things you don't agree with, satire does not, in fact, exist

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I spend a good deal of my time volunteering at a game store, one which is a registered Safe Space and fosters inclusion and has worked hard to chase out the young white libertarian shithead male demo that makes games stores (and hobby gaming in general) hostile to women and minorities. The people who still come in and play CAH in the cafe are the worst humans on the planet without exception. CAH has lasting appeal only to racists/everything-else-ists, and if someone says they love it, that's a huge red flag.

Anecdotes are fun. Some of the most fun I've had with my friends was getting drunk and playing CAH with friends. A group that consisted of every 2 white dudes, 3 white chicks(one of them was born in a males body and transitioning), 2 black dudes, and an Asian dude.

Like I'll grant anyone who can play it like every loving day or something is probably suspect. But as like a 5 times a year or so thing it's plenty fun. That games just not something to play with randoms.

As an aside good on you and that gaming store. As someone who loves board games tabletop stuff it's cool to have a store that ensures people don't act like shitheads to different people. Because my first experience in one of those places as a black dude was lovely as hell at age like 16 or so.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rollofthedice posted:

This is a baffling post.

i'm pointing out how people who don't agree with me are less leftist, and therefore bad, than i am

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Sharkie posted:

*A joke about the sexual abuse of a child*

"Ha ha, wow, that's so bad lol. But I am very chill and nothing phases me"

*An article about how a thing you like can be racist*

"Whoa. Hold up. Not cool bro. Not cool. How can you say that about my nerdgame, and by extension, me, and furthermore..."

Boom.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hate CAH because when people play that I can't get anyone to play Catan

It sucks that there isn't a good Catan port outside of the XBLA version.

The Carcassonne iOS port is SO GOD drat GOOD. Ticket to Ride on iOS is also decent.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

iOS version for iPad is decent :shrug:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

Anecdotes are fun. Some of the most fun I've had with my friends was getting drunk and playing CAH with friends. A group that consisted of every 2 white dudes, 3 white chicks(one of them was born in a males body and transitioning), 2 black dudes, and an Asian dude.

Like I'll grant anyone who can play it like every loving day or something is probably suspect. But as like a 5 times a year or so thing it's plenty fun. That games just not something to play with randoms.

As an aside good on you and that gaming store. As someone who loves board games tabletop stuff it's cool to have a store that ensures people don't act like shitheads to different people. Because my first experience in one of those places as a black dude was lovely as hell at age like 16 or so.

Yeah, playing it a couple times a year with chill people that aren't racist pieces of poo poo can be fun.

I can't imagine how cringe worthy playing it with college republicans would be though.

e: Secretly filming college republicans playing it though should be mandatory for future political attack adds.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
We deserve Trump

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

The Carcassonne iOS port is SO GOD drat GOOD. Ticket to Ride on iOS is also decent.

If you like Ticket to Ride I highly suggest Thurn and/und Taxis. You wouldn't believe how fun a game about mail could be.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Conversations overheard at Shoal Creek Country Club?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cah is fine like once a year and their Black Friday sales are funny and it's cool that they took out a card that was just making GBS threads on trans people but anyone who really likes it and plays it all the time and jumps to defend it is probably a huge douchebag

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, playing it a couple times a year with chill people that aren't racist pieces of poo poo can be fun.

I can't imagine how cringe worthy playing it with college republicans would be though.

e: Secretly filming college republicans playing it though should be mandatory for future political attack adds.

Really just only play in groups where everyone can grasp and respect each other's boundaries. Playing it with relative strangers, or even the wrong combination of friends, is a recipe for disaster.

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
The real problem with cah is that there are only like 5 funny answers per black card even if you are racist

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The real problem with cards against humanity is that you won't stop talking about it.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/nate_cohn/status/763837952850100224

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

Hey, what's wrong with hating everyone? Is there some sort of problem with being an utter misanthrope?

I know you're joking (maybe) but "I'm not racist I hate everyone" is just dumb even as a joke because if you hate everyone for their race you're just being even more racist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/30/exclusive-former-wikileaks-employee-james-ball-describes-working-with-julian-assange.html

quote:

Introduced to WikiLeaks staff and supporters under a false name, Shamir was given direct access to more than 90,000 of the U.S. Embassy cables, covering Russia, all of Eastern Europe, parts of the Middle East, and Israel. This was, for quite some time, denied by WikiLeaks. But that’s never a denial I’ve found convincing: the reason I know he has them is that I gave them to him, at Assange’s orders, not knowing who he was.
Why did this prove to be a grave mistake? Not just for Shamir’s views, which are easy to Google, but for what he did next. The first hints of trouble came through contacts from various Putin-influenced Russian media outlets. A pro-Putin outlet got in touch to say Shamir had been asking for $10,000 for access to the cables. He was selling the material we were working to give away free, to responsible outlets.
Worse was to come. The NGO Index on Censorship sent a string of questions and some photographic evidence, suggesting Shamir had given the cables to Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, Europe’s last dictator. Shamir had written a pro-Belarus article, shortly before photos emerged of him leaving the interior ministry. The day after, Belarus’s dictator gave a speech saying he was establishing a WikiLeaks for Belarus, citing some stories and information appearing in the genuine (and then unpublished) cables.
Assange refused and blocked any attempts at investigation, and released public statements that were simply untrue.

Disturbingly, Assange seems to have a personal motivation for staying friendly with Shamir. Shamir’s son, Johannes Wahlstrom, is apparently being called as one of Assange’s defense witnesses in his Swedish trial. That’s not the only time self has come before principle.
On other occasions, Assange’s selfishness needlessly risked WikiLeaks financial future.
When first trying to gain bail money, Assange sought to empty WikiLeaks’ bank accounts to pay the cash (a scheme which would never have worked given the rules). But luckily for WikiLeaks, the trustees of the organization’s then-main bank account, the Wau Holland foundation, rightly refused the request, which would have all but cleared out the account. Given the duration of the banking blockade, that money eventually had to last around 18 months. Had Assange got his way, the money that got WikiLeaks through the blockade wouldn’t have been there.

Welp.

Also in what world is someone waking you up and sitting on your bed going SIGN THIS NDA RIGHT NOW going to actually make any sane person sign the NDA.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Julian Assange is a crazy person

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Is it too much to ask for a whistleblowing organization that isn't run by crazy people or total pieces of poo poo

yes

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Lol #MakeAmericaBrannigan

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yinlock posted:

Is it too much to ask for a whistleblowing organization that isn't run by crazy people or total pieces of poo poo

yes

You don't like how the Panama Papers were handled?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yinlock posted:

yes

Probably not.

In order to be a whistleblowing org you need to operate in a grey area, and when that grey area forces you to decide between self preservation, protecting sources and not being an rear end in a top hat it can lead to some very bad decision being made.

Assange though is just all rear end in a top hat dodging rape charges.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

You don't like how the Panama Papers were handled?

That was done by a Soros backed group so... :tinfoil:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Lol #MakeAmericaBrannigan

He sounds very Fry in the first two.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Pleasing Shape posted:

Zapp Brannigan Trumpisms

This probably outs me as an old but is there a volume setting for twitter videos that isn't just off or on?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I can't believe there was a loving slapfight about Cards Against Humanity in this thread. I mean, yes I can, but jfc. :psyduck:

obligatory opinion: CAH is okay, but I don't have the gutter-trash sense of humor to really enjoy the risque stuff. I like 9/11 jokes and dead baby jokes like any goon, but not tampon jokes or transphobia. Still, SedanChair is an unpleasant person on these forums and I hope he/she/it is much nicer to people in real life.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

RuanGacho posted:

The biggest problem is how powerful the telecom lobby has become in the interim, and why I suggest state level activism. If you need an example of what I mean, look how the Republicans reacted to the Title II order and net neutrality.

In more blue states GOP members have to at least pay lip service to not being corporate owned.

I know this is a bit old, but this is a really stupid statement. Speaking as a former telecom regulator you can't do it at the state level because the FCC has already preempted virtually all state power to regulate broadband. States are not permitted rate setting authority, consumer protection rule making, it's even questionable whether state truth in billing regs apply.

There is no possibility of state action on regulating broadband.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Sure, I'll take the bait. This card combination would probably not end up being the one that earned a point (unless the other cards were basically throwaways), but it could still potentially earn a few laughs if the person reading it out loud (and CAH is generally only fun if the current judge reads out the cards) does so in some sort of 'snobbish old person' voice. At this point the joke has become less about the words on the cards and far more about making fun of the racist caricature it has evoked. Like in that Twitter article about the function of humor, assimilation and alienation are still at work here, but the group being alienated through humor are the racist people who would actually utter such a line in a serious manner. Tying this back into actual politics, it's a similar situation to how many of Trump's quotes have been mentioned in this thread for the express purpose of mocking them (and by extension Trump himself) even though they were originally said in all seriousness.

This card combination is only a problem if it is played by someone or awarded points by someone because they somehow think it's funny in and of itself to ban black people from a group (at which point you learn to stay as far away from that person as you possibly can in the future). In this regard, CAH absolutely can and has been used to encourage racism/sexism/etc, but I think it is a mistake to claim that it is inherently a "thinly-veiled racism-enabler" when it can be used for the exact opposite purpose. If you are playing with someone who is likely to take offense with or feel uncomfortable from certain cards regardless of how they are played, the answer is to put those cards to the side and if CAH starts to feel stale you mix in official and unofficial extra sets until you realize that most of these consist of nothing but oddly specific pop culture references and never play again.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The whole thrust of the game is it gives you cover to express your racist/transphobic/sexist beliefs, and hide under a veil of dead-baby and holocaust jokes.
Bet you're a blast at parties, huh?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Seeric posted:

Sure, I'll take the bait. This card combination would probably not end up being the one that earned a point (unless the other cards were basically throwaways), but it could still potentially earn a few laughs if the person reading it out loud (and CAH is generally only fun if the current judge reads out the cards) does so in some sort of 'snobbish old person' voice. At this point the joke has become less about the words on the cards and far more about making fun of the racist caricature it has evoked. Like in that Twitter article about the function of humor, assimilation and alienation are still at work here, but the group being alienated through humor are the racist people who would actually utter such a line in a serious manner. Tying this back into actual politics, it's a similar situation to how many of Trump's quotes have been mentioned in this thread for the express purpose of mocking them (and by extension Trump himself) even though they were originally said in all seriousness.

This card combination is only a problem if it is played by someone or awarded points by someone because they somehow think it's funny in and of itself to ban black people from a group (at which point you learn to stay as far away from that person as you possibly can in the future). In this regard, CAH absolutely can and has been used to encourage racism/sexism/etc, but I think it is a mistake to claim that it is inherently a "thinly-veiled racism-enabler" when it can be used for the exact opposite purpose. If you are playing with someone who is likely to take offense with or feel uncomfortable from certain cards regardless of how they are played, the answer is to put those cards to the side and if CAH starts to feel stale you mix in official and unofficial extra sets until you realize that most of these consist of nothing but oddly specific pop culture references and never play again.

I woulda went with a poo joke.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Just got this email from Mr Donald, including this choice quote:

From all that I remember, didn't DNC viewership win every day except the last?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Phone posted:

I'm not 100% tracking on this one. Are you saying that Deus Ex using Aug Lives Matter and Mechanical Apartheid is fine/not offensive? I personally think it's slightly gross for using BLM as the template, but it's fairly obvious that it isn't a thin coat of paint like with All/Blue/Coal/Ball "spin offs".

I actually don't have a strong attachment to the games, I just know that they're mechanically robust and the narratives being told are head and shoulders above most video game scripts.
When the "mechanical apartheid" phrase showed up in previews some people in the gaming media rushed to call it problematic cultural appropriation etc, only to end up with egg on their faces when it turned out that a dev team led by PoC came up with it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I woulda went with a poo joke.

Just the tip.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Truly woke people play Puerto Rico and make comments about how all the worker pieces are brown.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

FetusSlapper posted:

This probably outs me as an old but is there a volume setting for twitter videos that isn't just off or on?

I fuckin wish

but I am also old

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is the worst USPol derail I've seen in months.

Trump is crashing and burning so hard we are taking card games.

That's good I guess.

Meanwhile 70-something Republicans signed a letter asking the RNC chair to defund the Trump campaign and focus on house and Senate seats.

But card games guys. That the real news story of the day. =D

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Monopoly legitimizes exploitation of renters. Risk legitimizes imperialism. Chess legitimizes authoritarianism and the exploitation of the most vulnerable. Don't play any games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

TheLoquid posted:

Monopoly legitimizes exploitation of renters. Risk legitimizes imperialism. Chess legitimizes authoritarianism and the exploitation of the most vulnerable. Don't play any games.

Scythe legitimizes raiding other nations for resources resulting in reductions in your popularity - oh wait...

• Locked thread