Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

IRQ posted:

Let's not forget Al Jazeera either, their unfortunate failure to crack the US TV news market notwithstanding they're generally really good.

Why did they fail? All I can remember about their push was some anti-Gore propaganda and advertisers unwillingness to buy ad space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Al jazeera America was a really hosed up and weird thing where al jazeera did everything it could to force Americans to use a weird fox newsified version of their English affiliate and it went over so loving well barely anyone remembers it happening.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh. I thought they literally just tried to add AJ English to American cable.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

hemophilia posted:

We have PBS and NPR and before, you know, the powers that be realized they were paying for bad press and rebroadcasts of british media, they used to be pretty good news sources. They may still be, but I just remember the 90s where my grandpa didn't want to pay for cable and my parents couldn't afford it so I only knew broadcast TV until basically 1999, PBS used to be pretty good then.

I don't know about PBS at this point, but NPR's horseshit is entirely dominated by what corporate entities cut the big checks during their pledge drives. This isn't NPR's fault so much as the fact that radio is nearly a dead medium and I seriously doubt pledge drives for NPR or PBS pay the bills anymore without big, influencing checks from assholes with an interest in controlling narratives.
There's some decent reporting going on there, but mainly NPR and PBS seem to be more and more oriented toward servicing their donors with their segments, yeah. I can't even listen to some of their discussion shows, they have moved toward bringing a "fair and balanced discussion" to every subject, and a lot of times they end up with some reeeaaallllyy sketchy lobbyists and paid shills and people from places with names like "The Family Reconstruction Initiative" which actually reduces funding for schools and welfare programs while claiming a bunch of bunk science, and your average swoft-spoken NPR host just cannot steer a conversation with these shills shouting over everybody or being smugly condescending while using bad data.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh. I thought they literally just tried to add AJ English to American cable.

That's what most people wanted.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Honest question, what safeguards are in place for something like the BBC to ensure the state doesn't interfere with them? I'm always immediately suspicious when a journalism outlet is reporting on the people giving them their money, and since a major responsibility of journalists is to keep an eye on the government it sounds like a conflict of interest. Same question for PBS' investigative reporting I guess. I'm not against the idea of state funded journalism but not sure how you keep it from turning into state sponsored "journalism".

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

In the case of the corporation for public broadcasting, the threat is that running stories on politics gets you enemies that may eventually severely reduce or entirely sever one of your few steady revenue streams.

In the case of the BBC, i dont know. Its probably similar, i seem to recall the conservatives taking a poo poo on BBC funding as reprisal for not beong a Rupert Murdoch rag yet or something.

There's nothing to really stop state news from becoming loving pravda or something aside from cultural tolerance for that kind of overt propagandistic nonsense and legal protections like the first amendment.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grand Fromage posted:

Honest question, what safeguards are in place for something like the BBC to ensure the state doesn't interfere with them?

They have a governing body which oversees their impartiality, etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Trust

The ABC in Australia has a similar body:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Board

Also the ABC not only takes great glee in reporting on governmental fuckups whenevethey can but they also report on their own fuckups - they have a show called Media Watch which highlights lovely journalism and it absolutely does not hold back in pointing out the ABC's fuckups.

Edit: they also get reviewed fairly often and they have pretty robust complaints procedures where people can bitch about stories being unfair or unbalanced

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 10, 2016

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
More safeguards than there are for private, for-profit news outlets.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Denmark also has a pretty robust media service 'Danmarks Radio'. They run a few TV and radio channels and they produce a fair few documentaries and other shows. I can't speak for their news though, I haven't consumed TV news for years.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They have a governing body which oversees their impartiality, etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Trust

The ABC in Australia has a similar body:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Board

Also the ABC not only takes great glee in reporting on governmental fuckups whenevethey can but they also report on their own fuckups - they have a show called Media Watch which highlights lovely journalism and it absolutely does not hold back in pointing out the ABC's fuckups.

Edit: they also get reviewed fairly often and they have pretty robust complaints procedures where people can bitch about stories being unfair or unbalanced

Speaking of Media Watch they've had some pretty great coverage of the death of journalism recently. Had a different angle from Oliver too going into how the ad money is still there just that Google/Facebook/etc. take it all with their data mining instead news companies ads did in the past among other things.

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

sbaldrick posted:

Newspapers are really trapped in-between a rock and a hard place that John didn't get into. The internet has now evolved to a place where people are willing to pay for things, see netflix and itunes but Newspapers have become so lovely no one is willing to pay for them.
Possibly it is not only that the quality of newspapers has dropped but also that people are increasingly unwilling to sit down and read for any length of time. If I'm not mistaken book sales (including electronic versions) have been flat or falling for a while yet audio book sales are up; I've also found an annoying number of manuals and/or FAQs are now just videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b00HsZvg-V0
A loving video for Hello World. As much as I might wish it to be this doesn't appear to be a joke.

However, if this is what people are coming to expect, perhaps newspapers would be better served putting out audio versions. Just provide a transcript for those of us who still want to live in the past (but with better network access).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

prak posted:

However, if this is what people are coming to expect, perhaps newspapers would be better served putting out audio versions.

Is emoji news a thing yet?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
People stopped spending money in newspapers and started spending it on Netflix, so obviously the answer is "Netflix presents: Your Local News". Or "An HBO feature presentation: Your loving Local News. gently caress you and also here's some sex".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Afro posted:

That's what most people wanted.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just put the AJ English channel into their slot for a few months to test when they shut it down. Licensing issues?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Is emoji news a thing yet?

A 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 of 5 killed today in 🇧🇷 after a 🚂 derailed at high speeds. Acting president Michel Temer was reportedly feeling very 😭

override367
Apr 29, 2013
the answer to local news not funding journalism is, like most problems in america, a collective action problem that needs government

so it's not going to ever be solved

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think there's also something odd about this idea that local journalism is the only/best way to deal with local corruption and that we should be funding local papers because they are the real heroes.

It makes more sense that the government should be encouraging a more active political citizenship, which actually attend local government meetings. Or maybe the problem is that America insists on defunding all of its regulatory agencies which should be the ones auditing this kind of poo poo.

Corruption is a structural problem that isn't going to be solved by just making sure that The Springfield Gazette or whatever has enough money.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think there's also something odd about this idea that local journalism is the only/best way to deal with local corruption and that we should be funding local papers because they are the real heroes.

It makes more sense that the government should be encouraging a more active political citizenship, which actually attend local government meetings. Or maybe the problem is that America insists on defunding all of its regulatory agencies which should be the ones auditing this kind of poo poo.

Corruption is a structural problem that isn't going to be solved by just making sure that The Springfield Gazette or whatever has enough money.

One step at a time.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That may have been one of the filthiest gags they've done in ages.

I loved it reappearing after the credit audiobox spam.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I loving love that they bought that demon car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Demiurge4 posted:

I loving love that they bought that demon car.

It wasn't the demon car. They mentioned it got stolen and the demon car was a 2004 while they said that one was a 2003.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You can bet they were planning on buying the demon car if they actually did track it down, they'd probably already hired a priest for the exorcism

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Did anyone else notice that really weirdly inserted text that John voiced over, like it was added later? It felt so obvious and out of place. They've never done anything like that before. Weird.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, must have been some 11th hour ADR for some reason, it was really jarringly done.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The audio mix in general was messed up. On both my recording and HBO Go, John's voice wasn't anchored to the center channel. He was bleeding into the front channels and the surrounds. It was very distracting and hard to listen to.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

bull3964 posted:

It wasn't the demon car. They mentioned it got stolen and the demon car was a 2004 while they said that one was a 2003.

Oh too bad. It was the one in the pictures during the segment. They used a stand in I suppose.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Who the hell steals a 10 year old Kia?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

A car thief with low self-esteem.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

IRQ posted:

Older cars are generally easier to steal and stick out less.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh my god that baby was THRILLED about all the confetti :kiddo:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

Older cars are generally easier to steal and stick out less.

Sure but if I was out looking to steal a car that blended in I'd just go for a camry or something that at least will run, not the demon kia with a transmission possessed by satan and a bill reminder beeper (I had no idea that was even a thing holy poo poo).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Sure but if I was out looking to steal a car that blended in I'd just go for a camry or something that at least will run, not the demon kia with a transmission possessed by satan and a bill reminder beeper (I had no idea that was even a thing holy poo poo).

I doubt the person who stole the car knew about its mechanical issues and bill reminder beeper beforehand. It's not like they do a lot of field research before grabbing a car off the street.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The beeper thing sounds like something you could just jank out. You bought the car right? Is a loan clause that it has to stay in lawful?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Demiurge4 posted:

The beeper thing sounds like something you could just jank out. You bought the car right? Is a loan clause that it has to stay in lawful?

You're buying a car with a loan from the dealer. Guarantee the beeper and shut off switch are in the loan clause.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

It might be either very difficult to remove, a condition of the loan, or set up in such a way as to disable the car if removed. And before you scoff at that last one, remember that all cars nowadays are computer-controlled to some degree. They can't run without their onboard computers, and those computers can be customized. There's a whole industry that does that, in fact.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

END ME SCOOB posted:

That may have been one of the filthiest gags they've done in ages.

I loved it reappearing after the credit audiobox spam.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tarlibone posted:

It might be either very difficult to remove, a condition of the loan, or set up in such a way as to disable the car if removed. And before you scoff at that last one, remember that all cars nowadays are computer-controlled to some degree. They can't run without their onboard computers, and those computers can be customized. There's a whole industry that does that, in fact.
My current vehicle was a mid 90s rental sedan, and it came with one of those godawful fob "security" devices that would prevent the car from starting if you didn't plug the fob into a little reader thing and leave it in. The problem was that the fob was supposed to clip on your keychain and then unclip, multiple times a day, so it was easy as gently caress to lose the fob and end up stranded. I ended up paying to have it cut out, since the car has a security system anyway.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I like the little sound that went along with it in the post-credits one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Say I'm dedicated to bypassing the computer on a shifty loan car. Can I?

I've never fooled with my car's computer. I've owned only two and while i got this one off a self-finance lot, I also paid cash to walk out with close to the car's blue book +/- the loving shot tires i had to replace. If there's some secret loving beeper/engine killer on it i want to know and also gently caress the computer up.

• Locked thread