Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Paralysis: Paralyzed targets have around a 50% chance to do nothing for a turn, which is determined at the start of the turn. Paralysis also completely disables evasion.

This isn't true anymore. They changed Paralysis in EO2U to only disable evasion if the target can't act. Meaning that it's much worse than Blind now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 65: Drake

I swear to the gods, if you guys drag me out to fight another big monster one more time...
Oh, be quiet. Think about how many times I've been in the active party since we started.
...Hang on, we didn't mention fighting a big monster. We're just going to look for Quona.
Unfortunately, even the most mundane tasks seem to end in fights for us...
Trouble... Keeps... You... Running... Faster...
What kind of nonsense is that?!
Ripped up bits of a song from Colette's anthology that Jackie and I are trying to put back together.

No point in hiding that we're going to be fighting a boss, really. Let's get moving.

Quona!
SYSTEM: The small, faint figure must be the innkeeper's daughter. It was the quest you accepted at the bar that brought you here... You came to find the little girl's whereabouts. She is crouched over, working intensely on something.

SYSTEM: She straightens as you approach, and you can see that her hands are full of white clover.
Your charm...it withered away...so I was picking flowers to make a new one!
Quona, we appreciate the sentiment, but everyone's very worried about you. Going into the Labyrinth is dangerous, even for us!
SYSTEM: You smile and gently warn her of the danger she may have faced.
I'm...sorry. I knew if I told someone, they would just say no...
SYSTEM: You kindly pat her on the head and praise her for her efforts before taking her home.
Well, no harm done. Let's go get an early lun--

W-who goes there?!
SYSTEM: You have no notion of when it appeared, but you now face a powerful adversary. Three necks, spear-sharp horns, foul yellow eyes, blue scales... The being before you is a dragon!
Oh COME ON.
SYSTEM: You freeze, seeing that its claws are clutching the innkeeper's daughter... She is breathing, but unconscious. She must not have had time even to scream...
PUT HER DOWN NOW OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!
SYSTEM: The dragon's twelve eyes pierce through you, and its three heads give a mocking howl! You clutch your ears at the high, screeching noise as the dragon soars into the sky! You attempt to give chase, but it disappears into the northeast side of the forest. The situation is grim... The girl's life is in the grasp of the blue dragon! At that moment, as it had before, the Ice King's Book in your backpack begins to tremble and shake. Could it be that this book is reacting to the blue dragon? Perhaps if you go to the Ice King's tomb, you may be able to see the dragon and the girl again... There's no time to waste! If you want to save the girl, then head over to the Ice King's tomb right away!
Dammit dammit dammit, that was careless of me! We need to get moving NOW!

Good thing that earlier quest already made us go through the secret area.

That thing isn't nearly as cute as the yellow one was.
SYSTEM: The innkeeper's daughter lies unmoving at its feet...
Q-Quona looks like she's breathing, at least...

Meet your end, fiend!
Because what I really needed to make this day even better was corniness.

VIDEO: Boss Fight: Blizzard King

In case you need a refresher on the Blizzard King's stats:

quote:

Blizzard King
HP: 45000, STR: 88, TEC: 69, VIT: 64, AGI: 46, LUC: 61
Skills:
  • Ice Breath: Uses the head. Deals 600% ranged TEC-based ice damage to each party member. Has a 50% speed modifier and 180 base accuracy.
  • Mirror Shield: Nullifies all damage to the Blizzard King for one turn, and counters damage instances with 150% of the inflicted damage to the original source. Has a 1000% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Crushing Arm: Uses the arms. Deals 110% melee STR-based bash damage to each party member. Attempts to bind hit target's heads, with a 20% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Cold Regen: Uses the head. Restores 182% healing power (around 367 HP) to the Blizzard King at the end of each turn for 4 turns. Has no speed modifier.
  • Wail: Uses the head. Reduces each party member's physical/elemental defense by 50% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict sleep on each party member, with a 50% base chance. Has a 200% speed modifier.
  • Triple Strike: Uses the head. Deals 3 instances of 100% melee STR-based cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Snow Pterygoid. 100% chance. Sells for 21000 en. 1 needed to make Hisamemaru (+241 ATK, normal attacks become cut+ice).
    "Ice dragon's wingbone that spreads, fanlike. A flap of this wing can cause blizzards."
  • Rare: Blizzard Scale. 25% chance. Sells for 24000 en. 1 needed to make Blizzard Orb (Immunity to ice). 1 Dragon Scale, 1 Blizzard Scale, and 1 Emperor Scale needed to make Dragonbane (+210 ATK, +5 all stats).
    "The only reverse scale on the ice dragon. It takes great fortune to acquire this."
  • Conditional: Frozen Wing (Kill with ice damage). 100% chance. Sells for 44000 en. 1 needed to make Dragvandil (+220 ATK, +40 HP, +40 TP).
    "Ice dragon's wing, encrusted in ice. Some say it holds the key to ultimate power."
  • Ingredient: Blizzard Neck. 15-19 given. 7 needed to make Traditional Osechi (Chinese Cuisine; stops random encounters).
    "Elastic white meat from the neck."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 0% 150%
Disable resistances:
25% 75% 25% 25% 0% 25% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 25% 50%

A legendary blue dragon whose attacks are too powerful to withstand.

Blue Heart
HP: 7500, STR: 88, TEC: 69, VIT: 64, AGI: 46, LUC: 61
Skills:
  • Resonant Ice: Cannot be disabled. Deals ranged TEC-based ice damage to the entire party at the end of the turn. Damage is based on the number of turns that have passed since the Blue Heart was summoned: 60%, 90%, 135%, 200%, 300%, 450%, 675%, 1000%. The damage resets when the Blue Heart dies. Does not check for accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 0% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

I have a very specific plan in mind here, and it somewhat hinges on an arm bind to reduce the Blizzard King's normal attack damage.

YOU LIKE KIDNAPPING LITTLE GIRLS, HUH? HOW ABOUT I SEVER YOUR HEADS FROM YOUR NECKS?!

Ranger'll just dish out pain from the get-go.

Stardust prepares to dish out pain.

Milly does her usual things.

I could probably just use Madness Curse here, but I really don't want someone crucial dying to a normal attack, and a head bind means the Blizzard King just does nothing for this turn.

WAAAAAAAAAH IT'S COLD!
I mean, were you expecting a piping-hot meal from a giant blue dragon that lives in this frozen hellhole?

Ooh, that was somewhat lucky.

The Blizzard King is not going to get to do a single thing to me this entire fight.

Well, that's over one-tenth of the BK's HP just gone in one action.

Things are gonna get really ugly for the BK starting next turn.

I'm gonna inflict panic on this turn anyway, but why not give myself the chance to use Ecstasy?

Shock Fantasia lowering the BK's volt resistance means Ranger and Stardust are going to inflict severe pain.

Already mentioned I was gonna do this.

Death is imminent.

Kinda because of that.

But mostly because of that.

Oh, fantastic, another one of those things.

Doing that much damage to the BK in such a short timespan usually means I'd have everyone hold off on this turn for fear of Mirror Shield, but the panic negates that problem.

Just in case Freyja and Stardust don't put the BK at near-death levels of HP this turn.

It's frankly kind of disgusting how much both Creeping Curse and Black Mist propel Hexers into being one of the best classes, honestly.

Freyja isn't even hitting an elemental weakness here and she's still dealing more than either Ranger or Stardust.

If the Blizzard King isn't near death, I'll be very surprised.

A minor annoyance now, potentially run-ending if I actually let the BK do anything.

Okay, yeah, that's low enough.

Time to put the BK out of its misery.

PERISH AND DECOMPOSE IN THE SNOW FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!

Jesus H. Christ.

Well, that was nice and painless! ...Except for my brain freeze.
How many times have I warned you about eating or drinking cold things too quickly?

SYSTEM: The ice dragon falls at last to your final strike! Victory! You have defeated one of the Labyrinth's strongest monsters, and saved the girl!

I'm sorry... I fell asleep... I think I...had a dream...
SYSTEM: The innkeeper's daughter rubs her eyes as you help her up. You let out a long-held breath, which subsides into a shaky laugh.
Um... There was a really big monster... And I was r-really scared. But then...an explorer appeared...and rescued me. So I was okay.
SYSTEM: You see now that the smiling girl is holding the Pure Auratum you gave to her previously.

Wh... Whoaaaa...!
SYSTEM: Once the light fades, you see that she is holding a pure white whip! It is intricately decorated, and a marvel to behold. This is the Frost Whip, the favored weapon of the Ice King. He has deemed you worthy... Congratulations! You have bested the ice dragon, and gained the most powerful whip in the land!
Uh... Wh-What is... this...?
SYSTEM: The girl stares down at the weapon in her hands, unsure of how to react--blinking in utter confusion.
But... this is really pretty...oh, I know what to do. I'll give this...to Lumen. It's pretty, but I c-couldn't use it, and it'll help you on your adventures...right?
Th-this looks like an excellent whip... Of course it will!
SYSTEM: The girl hands you the whip with a timid smile, and you accept the whip and her gratitude that she presents you.

The Frost Whip has all of +2 ATK on the Queen's Whip...but, it's still a little more ATK in exchange for losing a secondary attribute I don't care about. Freyja equips this after we finish this cutscene.

Oh, yeah, our level cap got raised up to 90 now. That's neat.

The game automatically takes us back to town here.

Go on and get some rest now. Your mom's worried sick...
Okay, I'll make sure to go to sleep early...but first I have to apologize to mommy... Since I worried her so much, she might be angry... I want to go see her soon. Lumen, you should come visit us too. I'll be waiting. I hope we see you again soon.

Ahhh, here come the stars of High Lagaard! Haw haw haw!
Do you have to be so facetious about us, Cass?
Oi, don't give me that look! The innkeeper was just by to express her thanks. Looks like the whole city's relieved to hear the girl's awright. Yeh did it again! I heard yeh had to fight quite the beastie in the process! Were yeh hurt at all?
The dragon itself didn't even touch us. Its heart kinda did, though.
That...sounds incredibly strange out of context...
Haw! The real immortal fiends in all this mess are yeh lot! Here yeh go... Yer reward, plus a little on top, courtesy of the city. Come back anytime! Haw haw haw!

Look at all of that EXP.

The level ups are completely uninteresting, so I skipped them. In fact, from here on out, I'm gonna skip all level ups because there's basically nothing new in them.

It's a bit of shame I didn't get the scale here. C'est la vie.

Dragvandil (+220 ATK, +40 HP, +40 TP) is made from 1 Frozen Wing. I prefer the Dragonbane (which we'll see after the final dragon fight), honestly.

Hisamemaru (+241 ATK, normal attacks become cut+ice) is unlocked by selling 1 Snow Pterygoid. This is the third-best katana, and it's only third-best by 1 ATK.

And before we end, Hanna has some words for us.

I've given her a good scolding, so she won't be doing anything like that again any time soon. That girl's been full of surprises recently... She can watch the inn fine on her own, and she's going out in the city more and more even though she hated going out. And now this! I know I shouldn't be praising her for doing this, but it made me a little happy... She was so withdrawn until you came around, and now she's growing up so fast... That's what makes me happy... Her health is getting a lot better too. Before I know it, she's going to be old enough to get married and leave this place behind... All this makes me really happy, but at the same time it makes me a little sad...
She's young enough that you've still got plenty of time left with her, don't worry.
...Oh dear! I've been rambling again, haven't I? I'm sure it'll be fine. I probably won't have to worry about a thing while you loves are around here! Bahaha!

Well, that certainly was something resembling a mini-adventure. Next time: we advance further into the Forbidden Wood, with 28F.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bonus: Blizzard King

Now that Ragnar Homsar covered the Blizzard King (And told me he had no intention of showing off what I'm about to show you myself), I thought I would show off an alternative method of taking it down.

Here's my party setup for the fight. I'm not using the Story party for this, because I can't do what I'm about to do with them. Oh, I realize that their levels are unusual, but just trust me on this. Anyways, let's start the fight.

I'm gonna have my Landsknecht use War Cry, which boosts the amount of physical and elemental damage a row deals by 35%, but unfortunately causes them to take 20% more damage from physical and elemental attacks.

Gonna have my Beast use True Endurance.

And gonna have my Hexer curse the thing.

My Hexer is too slow for what I want her to do, so I'm having my Survivalist use Swap Step on my Hexer so she can move before the Blizzard King.

My Gunner is completely useless for this fight. I only brought him so that my team would have 5 people in it.

BAM! DEAD.

Oh and the best part is, Curse damage is Untyped + the damage type of the original attack, so I snagged its conditional drop as well! Not only that, Curse damage breaks the damage cap. (Which is normally 99,999.)

Anyways, here's a more detailed look on how I pulled this off. I needed the triple Curse damage food, otherwise the Blizzard King wouldn't have been one shot like that.

Speed Up was to ensure that my Landsknecht would get off War Cry in time.

Which was used to increase the amount of damage my Beast took, so that the Blizzard King would take more Curse damage.

My Beast needed a shield skill Grimoire, so that they could equip the Slaughter Shield. With the Fullface Helm, my Beast would be taking 2.3 times the damage from all attacks.

I just basically tried to increase my chances of landing Curse as much as possible. Oh and as for why my Hexer was at such a high level, it was because LUC has a pretty massive effect on inflicting stuff. (Unlike in EO2 where the boost was pretty negligible.)

My Survivalist had Swap Step so my Hexer could get off Corrupt Curse in time. My 5th party member was purely so that Ice Breath would hit my Beast 5 times.

Sadly, you can't really use this strategy on too many bosses. Atlus knew about this interaction, and made it so that most bosses are really resistant or outright immune to Curse, despite it being a useless ailment in all the other EO games. Blizzard King is the only dragon this works on too, the other two are immune to Curse.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Good thing that earlier quest already made us go through the secret area.

That thing isn't nearly as cute as the yellow one was.
SYSTEM: The innkeeper's daughter lies unmoving at its feet...
Q-Quona looks like she's breathing, at least...

Meet your end, fiend!

There's some dialogue here before the fight that's missing. Also, 100,422 damage with Curse?? :eyepop:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Always a pleasure to see those jokers again :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 30: A Rocky Opponent

Did you... really bring me ingredients from the Yggdrasil Clover!?
I never expected that one day, I'd have all of these ingredients... They're all so rare...! Heh. Typical Guild...
This will be the final recipe.
I wonder what the tea's going to taste like this time. I can hardly wait!
I'm looking forward to it as well. Go ahead, try testing out the recipe.

And here's the last of the teas.

It's done. This is Yggdrasil-clover tea!
Hmm...? This smells a bit like medicine. Is it drinkable?
Yeah. It's... drinkable.

Let's drink it.

......A very grassy and bitter taste hits your tongue...!

Yggdrasil clover. You brought it to me. According to the notes, it's a medicinal drink.
Medicinal... The taste makes sense.
...Hey, kid. If it's medicine, then tell us ahead of time. We need to be prepared here.
Ueh... I can feel it spread from my mouth, through my nose, into my eyes...
I figured that being a secret recipe, it'd be best for you to try it without any prior bias. Besides, though it tastes terrible, the notes say the effects are great. Don't you think you should suck it in and drink it all?
Er, well, yeah...
But being this bitter and horrible, my stomach's still stirring...

Uhh, let's not drink it.

Don't be so reserved. The smell and taste are horrible, but it is very nutritional.
Hey, kid. Did you just quietly mention that the taste is horrible?
Yeah, I did. According to the recipe, this is more like a medicine than a tea.
Medicine... It does smell like it. ...But this smells worse than any other medicine I've had.
B-But it's good for the body, yes...? It's a rare drink, so it should be worth drinking it...
...This'll take some courage.

Dialogue merges here.

Good medicine tastes bitter. ...It's the tough part about being an explorer.

Hoo boy, the Yggdrasil Clover Tea. What it does is triple all exp gain, which includes quest and mission exp! Not only that, any party members that are at the guild get all the exp your main party gets as well! (This is useless for Story Mode.) Oh and here's the last audio only conversation that plays in Cafe.

Oh, Dame Chloe. Why are you tied up here?
Hey, you're right. She's-
Wait, tied up!? What were you doing!?
Regina punished me.
Not only did she enter the kitchen without permission, I caught her filching food! Kid or no kid, I have zero tolerance for that!
So sad... But it was delicious!
You little-tch! At least show some remorse for what you did!

Anyways, let's get on with exploring the 4th Stratum.

Uh, I don't think those are for decoration. Isn't that a bird's nest?
Ah! Is this a nest...!?
If the dwelling is that large, then its owner must be sizable as well.

It must be pretty huge.
Don't you think? It would have to be capable of carrying those thickly stacked branches in its talons...
Doesn't that mean we're in danger?
...Oh? Now that you suggest it, perhaps you're right.
The nest doesn't seem abandoned. The big one might not be far off.

Considering the size of the nest and its location in this forest of powerful beasts, it is undoubtedly a dreadful bird indeed. You keep in mind the possibility that you may encounter this bird in your travels...

Sir Knight! Please look!

It looks mad.
Is that because we're too close to its nest...!? Wh-What should we do, Knight!?

You may valiantly stand up to the bird, or retreat from the room.

The birds in this stratum will chase after you, but if you can shake them off, they'll just go back to the nearest nest. You'll have to utilize that behavior to get past them.

I know there's something up there, but I can't get a good look at it with the flowers in the way.

You may be able to get what's in the tree to fall by shaking its branches...

Shake shake!

You try shaking the tree, but the many other branches along the way keep the object from reaching the ground.

SHAKE SHAKE!

You don't have time for half-measures, and shake the tree with all your might!

C'mon... If you shake it like that, won't the whole branch come crashing down on us?

Just as the trunk began to creak, something small falls down upon you...

What the... C-Caterpillars!? Ew! Knight, stop!
S-Sir Bertrand, might we take shelter under your shield!?
Shoo! This old man's shield is only big enough for one. Find your own cover!
Trand, that's not fair.

Though your guildmates are vexed by the shower of caterpillars, you are certain of one thing... With just a bit more effort, you will have your prize! With that certainty in mind, you stop shaking the tree... and tackle it instead!

Wha--!? No, it's gonna--Gyaaaaaaaah!

Along with the downpour of hairy caterpillars comes a bit of material!

You happily report this unexpected result to your guildmates.

Good for you. Looks like this kid's hit his limits, though.
Flavio isn't breathing.

For some reason, the others do not seem to rejoice over your valuable find.

Sir Knight, you're covered in hairy caterpillars too... Oh dear, and rashes besides... Don't they hurt?

Arianna's comment finally causes you to notice that you have broken out in red rashes. At last, the pain hits you...

Please stay still and I'll remove them right away.

You thank Arianna for her thoughtfulness. Once Flavio has regained consciousness, you return to your exploration.

Before I go up to the 17th floor, here's an audio only conversation that can play in the 4th Stratum.

Choo! Ugh. What in the world? Ever since we got here, my eyes have been itchy and-achoo!
Was that suppose to be a sneeze?
What an adorable sneeze! I wish mine was that way!
Ugh. Enough about my snee-choo! Shouldn't you be more worried about me? Ah-achoo!
You're adorable.

And we're done with this floor.

New floor, time to go back to talk to the townspeople and accept new quests.

...Oh, Mister Bertrand! The clasp on your boot is loose.
Hm? Oh, this. That's not loose, kid, that's plain old broken. It's too much of a pain to go get it fixed, and it's not really causing me any problems, so I just let it be.
Oh, it'll be dangerous to just leave it like that! Here, let me take a look at it. ...There, that should do it!
Huh... that's pretty impressive. You did a fine job there, kid.
Well I am my father's daughter! Just let me know--I can fix it if you ever need me to.

That's pretty amazing.
Eheh... wh-when you praise me like that, it's a little embarrassing...

You're the heir of this shop, all right.
H-Heir...!? D-Do I really seem like one!? ...Hee hee... I'm glad to hear that!

Dialogue merges here.

I just want to learn more, so that I'll be able to better help you... ...One day, I'll be good enough to be of proper use to you... so please, be patient until then!

Well, only a few townspeople. From this point on, a lot of the town dialogue is the same as in Classic's. Mainly because the story itself slows down heavily at this point. But here's the last audio only conversation for this place in Story mode.

So many interesting things. Huh? What's this?
Ah! Miss Chloe, please! Try not to break anything, okay? Please?
Does this spin?
Oh.
Noooo! Daaaaaad!

Now let's go take a nap.

As you sit there, you hear a knock at your door. Who could it be at this hour...?

Next up is Flavio.

Buuuut, I guess this is business as usual for us.
I was just talking with the old man... About the last ritual and stuff, and how he's lived for over a hundred years.
We've been him for so long, and I think this is the first time we've had a serious talk. It was kind of interesting. He seemed real shady when we first met him, and I wasn't too keen on him... But I guess he's been through a lot.
I never even imagined half the things he's gone through. ......
Actually... I'm a little embarrassed to say this now, but I always thought we had it tougher than anyone else.
We have no parents, we don't know our roots, no one really cares about us... My best friend had something horrible happen to him, and no one believed me...
But I see now it's not just us. Everyone's got problems... everyone's got it tough.

That really is embarrassing.
Sh-Shut up! I know I'm narrow-minded, and I know I can be self-centered.
Haha, I'm glad I could open up to you about that. I kind of knew what you'd say about it. That's probably why I came to see you after talking to the old man.

https://gfycat.com/FlashyCreativeDrafthorse.webm

You're planning on heading back to the Library after this, right?
I don't think I ever talked about it with you. It just seemed obvious that we'd go back... but man... I wonder what I'll do there... Something I'd want to do...

What Flavio says here is actually dependent upon what you said back in that conversation at Ginnungagap B3F.

Is there anything you like to do?
Something I like to do? Hmmm... well...
I never liked studying much, but I did like the hands-on training and taking care of the little kids.
Whenever I found a new species while we were out exploring, I wrote it down in my notes. I liked doing that.
The ecosystem in the Labyrinth turns everything I learned at the Library on its head! I'd never get bored of that...
...Huh. I guess that's all I really needed to think about. I just gotta keep doing what I like...
Haha, after talking to you, I kind of feel like I have an idea of what to do! Thanks.

I should start charging.
Wait, you're going to charge me!? Uh... How about I just owe you one?
Well... sorry to keep you up. We gotta wake up early tomorrow, so I'd better get to bed. G'night, Knight.

It is late, and you decide to rest in preparation for tomorrow...

I heard the Duke's guards were sent to the fourth stratum based on your findings... but as you'd guess, they were wiped out. By now, there's only a few explorers remaining in High Lagaard that can keep up with you all... including myself. In a one-on-one duel, my victory would be assured, but against all of you... well. I doubt I'd make it out alive. What's the phrase...? Something like: “Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." ...I know it isn't what you came here for, but I have no doubt that you will be the ones to reach that castle. I wish the best of luck to you, Guild...

And here's the last audio only conversation for the Explorer's Guild.

So many explorers!
I ask that you don't wander around the facility too much.
So many guilds! *gasp* Is that a newcomer?
Hee hee!
Hey! No running in the-ugh. Where is her guardian?
Hey old man, she means you.
Tell her he ain't here.

Okay, let's get back to exploring.

My...! How adorable!
Y-You think so? It reminds me more of raw meat than cherry blossoms...
Something this captivating must be equally delicious to eat, wouldn't you agree?
Good mushrooms are yummy. But there are a lot of bad ones too.
But the good ones...

Chloe seems to be saying, in her way, that the mushroom is worth eating despite the risks. There is nothing preventing you from eating the cute mushroom if you wish.

Let's eat the mushroom.

You pick the mushroom and break off its cap before putting it into your mouth. The mushroom tastes wonderful on your tongue as you bite into it. It might taste even better roasted... Just thinking about that brings a wide smile to your face.

It must be scrumptious indeed to make you smile that much.
Whoa, you're right. I can't remember ever seeing you smile like that.
It's pretty rare.

You hadn't intended to beam so brightly... You try moving your cheek muscles to tone down the smile. Nothing happens, however. You cannot now remember why you would restrain yourself from smiling at all. You feel so elated and euphoric that you see no need to hold back, and begin to laugh until your sides ache!

Okay, something's definitely wrong here! Knight, are you all right!?

Even your friend's face as he tries desperately to calm you down is hilarious to you. Before your eyes, the forest becomes a delightful landscape of vibrant color. A thought occurs to you... The delicious mushroom is still in your hand. Shouldn't you share it with your guildmates...?

Chloe said she wanted to eat some mushrooms, right?

Since Chloe rarely changes her expression, you feel she should share this experience with you. You smile heartily as you force the mushroom into the girl's mouth!

Wha... What?

The black-robed girl is perplexed by your sudden action, but munches gamely on the mushroom as she cocks her head.

H-Hey! Stop chewing! That mushroom's really suspicious!
But it tashtes and shmells sho good.

With that, the black-robed girl finishes chewing and swallows the mushroom.

Oooh...

It didn't go exactly as you intended, but Chloe seems to be having fun... as far as you can tell.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is that mushroom poisonous!? H-Hey! Calm down, you two!

Both of you giggle goofily at each other for a while, until you suddenly feel very sleepy and fall unconscious.

Fade to black.

...You don't remember?

Neither of you remembers anything that happened after eating the mushroom. All you know is that your heads hurt.

...That was horrible. The mushroom was yummy... but still dangerous. It was really tasty, though.
Chloe... Are you thinking about having another one?
But it looked so adorable... Truly, the food found in the Labyrinth can be frightening.

You feel foolish for having ate what you found in the forest, and return to your exploration still clutching your head.

In Classic mode, if you have a Beast in the party, you can avoid that outcome entirely. Unfortuantely Story mode gets the short end of the stick here, as there's no way to avoid the HP and TP loss whatsoever.

This event starts as soon as you step on this tile.

Wh-What is that...!?
Crap... I've only heard rumors, but it fits the description of what they call Etria's nightmare.
E-Etria's nightmare!? I heard about that too, back at the Library...
They say a team of our strongest investigators had a hard time dealing with it.

All you can do is cower in fear before this monster that men call a nightmare... But this is no dream! You must rouse yourself from your stupor and choose what action to take! You may avert your eyes from the nightmare you behold, or stand and face it.

Trying to sneak away results in getting blindsided, and I'd rather not have a repeat of THAT INCIDENT.

Our way out of this is before us!

You each take your weapons in hand to stand against this dreadful threat! There is only one way to awaken from this nightmare: to slay the monster!

I proceed to kill it. Oh and there's no after battle dialogue.

So if you're wondering what the heck just happened? Okay, so in EO1, once you beat the game, it spits out a password you can put in at the start of EO2 to import your EO1 party to get bonuses in EO2. And penalties. They're Atlus games after all. One of those penalties was the Etria's Nightmare event, which couldn't be seen if you didn't import a party in from EO1. In the original game, you were pitted against a bunch of Petaloids, a bunch of merely annoying enemies in EO1, which got upgraded to extremely deadly encounters in EO2. Essentially that event was purely a screw you if you played the first game.

Now EO2U severed that connection between EO1 and 2. There's no way to import your EOU party into EO2U, and the EO2U Story party are not the same people in EOU's Story mode. But for some reason they kept that event, and labeled the Hurt Babirusa (A strong enemy in EOU's 5th Stratum) as Etria's nightmare instead of the Petaloids. It feels incredibly shoehorned in, and honestly that event should have been scrapped, or rewritten from scratch.

The lustrous fruits shine like gems, swaying in the wind as if enticing you to pick them.

This fruit looks good...
But it is of the Labyrinth... are we certain that it is safe to eat?

You may eat the fruits or ignore them.

If you're having flashbacks to explosive fruits (long story), worry not. They're safe to eat.

As you reach towards gem-like fruits, you feel a deadly gaze trained upon you!

Uh-oh... we're surrounded!
Sheesh, can we not get one drat second to relax!?

Could the monsters have gathered to eat these fruits...? They growl menacingly as they charge directly at you!

I kill them easily.

You follow Flavio in checking your surroundings, but there seem to be no more of the monsters.

If the monsters wanted these fruits too, then they must taste good.
Yeah. After all we went through, I say these are a fair reward.

You each pick the lustrous, red fruits for yourselves.

Ooh...!
Mmm, this is amazing!

You bite into the red fruit, whose sweet juices are pleasing on the tongue... The fruit's captivating taste and small size cause you to eat one after another off the tree. The delicious fruits were greatly effective in soothing your exhaustion!

That was good...
There's a bunch more here that aren't ripe yet. Maybe we can have some more if we come back another day.
That would be amazing. Let's mark this place on our map, Knight.

You all agree that it is worth remembering this place as you go on your way deeper into the maze of cherry blossoms.

As someone who's played the original EO2, it's a bit strange seeing a bunch of weak random encounters promoted to tough FOEs. (That rhino was merely a trash mob in the first Stratum in the original game.)

That's a hell of a big monster. I hope we can get past it without making it mad.

I wonder what its patterns are...
Who knows? I'm sure we'll find out the hard way once it notices us.
I'd rather try to make some progress without that happening.

You decide to exercise care while moving on, while paying close attention to the giant monster.

I get its attention.

:cawg: AHAHAHA! Dumb rhino fell down a hole!

Whoa, that was one clean drop.
Once that monster starts running, it can't stop. Not even if there's a hole in the way.
This may be trouble for those on the floor below... but it could be an elegant solution should we encounter more of its ilk.

You decide to keep careful track of the topography and the monster's positions as you go.

Why wouldn't I kick a rock?

Oh, that's why.

Whoa! A-Are you okay?
Now that's what I call instant karma.

...You have no rejoinder to this. You leave the area, regretting your impulsiveness.

Oh we are not done here.

Last time, it only brought you injury, but there's no guarantee that the same will happen this time. You may pit yourself against the stone once more, if you wish to prove the previous loss was only a fluke.

No way I'm letting a little rock get the best of me.

You ignore Flavio's confused remarks and take some calm, clear breaths before kicking the stone with gusto! The stone goes flying before ricocheting back from a tree, just like last time! However, you have anticipated this, and devised a counter strategy...

Dive! Dive!

You dive forward to dodge the stone as it passes overhead, using your momentum to execute and elegant forward roll!

A-Amazing, Sir Knight...!

“Nailed it," you think to yourself... From behind, you hear the “clink" of a stone falling to the ground. You have overcome your prior limitations!

Uhh... C-Congrats?
What's to congratulate?
Don't ask. Actually, just stay out of this.

With a sense of deep satisfaction, you return to exploring.

And here's the end of this floor.

And a new floor means going back to town yet again.

...After I finish gathering up 8 Arc branches for the Before the festivities quest.

Yes! It appears we have collected 8 Arc Branches for the quest!
They're gonna need them before they can get the festival underway, right? We should probably go deliver them.
This festival idea interests me. Let's hurry.
Ugh, what a pain...

You have collected everything required for the quest. All that remains is to return to the bar to report your success.

...Sometimes, when my daughter and I look up at the Labyrinth, we try to guess which branch you're on... Haha. You're all just kids when you're here, but you must be so different when you're in the Labyrinth... I wish I could see it. Oh, I know! How about I go along with you on your investigation? You'll all protect me, right? Then there's nothing to worry about!
Protect you... But aren't you pretty tough?
Hey, that's rude! I mean, true, but... rude! I'm pretty sure that's not what she wanted to hear...
Oh, dear! Whatever is that supposed to mean? I'm nothing but a fragile, swooning maiden. Bahaha!

And here's the last audio only conversation for the inn.

Well if it isn't Chloe. Always so cute. Would you like some candy?
Uh-huh!
Hmhmhm. Here you go, do you anything? I just get so worried about such a little girl going adventuring.
No need, I'm strong.

Now why don't we get to sleep?

As you sit there, you hear a knock at your door. Who could it be at this hour...?

Next up is Chloe.

Are you hungry?
N-No. That's not it. It's...
I came to say thank you. I thought about it. And I don't think I've thanked people enough.
But I don't know what the best way to say it is. That's what's wrong.

A gift is always nice.
A gift? Something to show my thanks?
I get it, I think. I should give you some meat, right?
Here, take this. It's the best jerky I have. I always carry some on me.
There, I properly thanked you. I'm satisfied now. ...Thanks to your help, Trand's gotten over his past. I really wanted to make sure you knew I appreciated that.
I thought there wasn't much I could do for Trand since he never told me anything. That's what Grandma thought too. She said Trand's an adult, and she's lived a long time, so we shouldn't butt in on his business. He knows what he's doing. So I decided I'd help Trand with whatever he wanted to do.
But after talking to you... that didn't seem like such a good idea. There are things I want Trand to do. And he won't get it if I don't tell him. So from now on I'm going to be more clear with Trand. You taught me that, Knight. Do you think it's enough...?

Heehee... You're kind of like Trand, Knight.
Well, I thanked you. I think that's all I need to say.
I'm finished talking now, so I'm going back to my room. 'Night.

Alone again in your room, you have only the silence for company. You decide to rest in preparation for tomorrow.

To be honest... I have also tried my hand at exploring the Labyrinth before. I went in alongside many comrades. However... there are very few that I still see today. Many of the faces I once knew were consumed by that Labyrinth. ...But as a survivor, I will remember all of their names and faces. It is my duty. Not only I... There are many in this city that remember them fondly, as well... They may be gone, but their stories of courage will linger on, and keep them alive in the peoples' hearts. ...Hm, perhaps that sounds a bit strange. I merely felt... nostalgic, after hearing all the citizens talking of you. Pay me no mind, I suppose. Only the addled ramblings of an old man, hm? I wish the best of luck to you.

And here's the last audio only conversation in the Grand Duchy.

That mustache!
Hm?
Do you groom it everyday? What tools do you use? Scissors? A comb?
What's this now? Are you interested in mustaches?
Very. I can't grow one after all.
I-is that how she talks to a minister?

Oh one last thing, if you already fulfilled the request for The item trade III quest, this happens.

Hello, and welcome! How can I help you all...? The request...? Oh! Ah! I'm so sorry! This is my mistake... I really do apologize! You see, um, the materials that we asked for in that quest... you've already brought them to me... I'm very sorry. I was thinking about telling Cass to close it... I-I was so busy, it totally slipped my mind... I'm really, really sorry! But since you gathered the materials in the first place, we can say you completed the request! So please, feel free to get the reward from Cass at the bar, okay? Seriously, dad should remind me about this kind of thing... Oh, you still haven't met him, right? Look, he's peeking out from his door--Oh, dad...! He hid again so quickly... I'd really like for you to meet him, but no matter how many times I call him, he just won't come out... I'll be sure to introduce you properly next time, so please be nice to him! You see, dad's never met you, but he keeps saying something... If he ever gets a son-in-law, he wants it to be someone like you! And he wants to hand this store down to my husband! ...Isn't that something he should work out with that person, instead of deciding it all on his own...? Eheh... sorry, I guess I got sidetracked. I really am sorry for the mistake, but please help out again if anything comes up!

And back into the Labyrinth we go.

As you're investigating the area, Chloe tugs on your sleeve and points. What she is attempting to show you is a depression in the tree where a sticky fluid has pooled.

I think this is sap. Looks like it's dripping from that cut there.

You are somewhat curious as to how it might taste...

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow, we die.

Whoa, this is sweet!

The tree sap is extremely sweet and cures your fatigue!

It mystifies me that something so sweet could flow within a tree...
It's nothing unusual. There's a country called Ontario where they harvest the sap from trees as a national export.

...Really, ga-actually I guess that wasn't really a plot point in the original game.

They call it maple syrup. It can be spread on meat, used in ice cream... it's the best kind of sap.
Oh, I know that stuff. One of the senior Library investigators has it sent from her home country all the time.
She shared it sometimes with those of us who live in the dorms. Man, was it ever good.

This is a reference to a specific character from EOU.

I had no idea... It seems I've still a lot to learn.
...Might I taste it a bit more for future reference?
Kid, don't use expanding your horizons as an excuse. Just have some.
Was I that transparent?

Arianna's fascination with the sap does not surprise you, as its sweetness is truly divine. However... it seems you weren't the only ones drawn to this delectable sap. As you reach towards the sap again, you feel a chill down your spine!

I-Is a monster nearby? But I don't see anything...
Whoaaagh!

As you cautiously check the area, Flavio gives a strangled cry. You look at what his trembling finger points towards...

I guess it's true that people who hate things are the first ones to spot them.

For what you find are the many-legged insects that Flavio despises more than anything!

You hate them, but you keep finding them. I feel kind of bad for you.
No time to feel bad for me now! Let's get rid of them! Right now! This instant!

As Flavio is almost in tears, for his sake you take your weapons in hand and face the insects!

This would be a really mean encounter if I didn't outfit everyone with Owl Earrings. In fact I recommend having those be your party's accessory of choice due to how deadly Panic is as an ailment. Anyways, I manage to take them out easily.

The ambush by the monsters Flavio hates so seems to have drained his energy, as he slumps to the ground. It's times like these when you most want some of that sweet sap to cure your fatigue, but alas, there is none left... However, when you look to the recession in the tree, you find that sap is slowly pooling once again. At this rate, there will be enough for you all to enjoy again by dawn tomorrow.

Ah, so there will be more to enjoy later...? I'm quite looking forward to that already.
But... don't bugs like it too? Bugs drink that stuff too, right...?

So what?
'So what'? Th-That's all you can say...?
What're you talking about? The maple tree's sap always attracts tons of insects. With how sweet the stuff is, it's natural that humans wouldn't be the only creatures who want it.
Hrgh...

You note this place down on your map and return to your investigation, already looking forward to tasting the sap again.

It seems stuck fast... Will it be all right?

You can brush away the web and save the butterfly, or simply leave it to its fate.

Funny little fact about this event in the original. There was a butterfly that would lead you down a pitfall if you tried to catch it. (Pitfalls are no longer in EO2U.) That same butterfly would then get caught in a spider's web, so you could leave it to its fate as comeuppance if you chose to. Though there was a benefit to helping it out back then, and like in EO2 there's a benefit to helping it out now.

I feel bad for the spider as well, but we did spot the butterfly first.

After you free the butterfly from the web, it lazily flits around you.

Could it be thanking us?
Nah. Bugs don't think that way.
But it's really shiny and pretty...

As you gaze rapturously at the butterfly's beautiful, iridescent wings, it eventually disappears into the trees. After you've seen it off, you notice an odd phenomenon... It feels as if a second wind is rising within you. The fatigue you had felt up to now has vanished!

That butterfly... it was shedding a lot of scales. Maybe this is a side effect?
There are butterflies that can do that? This forest never ceases to amaze me...
It must have floated around us knowing this would happen.
...It's still hard to believe.

You discuss it at length, but cannot come to a consensus as to what the butterfly was thinking. Still, the effects were undeniable, and you return to exploring with a lighter step.

Suddenly, an overpowering voice echoes from above!

Father Sun and Mother Moon. Bless the earthbound people with the gift of new life...

After saying this, the winged one looks at you as if in judgement.

Whoa...! We got a glimpse of him before, but he really does have wings...
Hey. Is Mr. Wings looking at us?
Um, Sir Knight. Should we respond to him...?
He doesn't seem hostile... I guess we should at least tell him that we come in peace too.

He's a parrot man, right?

You try repeating the winged ones' words back to him.

Hm...? I had not expected to hear those words from earthbound ones. But that is not sanctioned by the Almighty Star. Return to your earth! You have strayed from your fate. The path to the heavens remains closed to you.

The winged one's voice is firm, and he remains resolute in barring you from passing here.

H-Hey, wait a sec! You could at least listen to what we have to--
Enough, Flavio!

Before Flavio can finish his protest, you pick up on an air of palpable menace in the room.

That branch, that tree, that bush... There are winged people everywhere.
When were we surrounded...?

As you are surrounded by hostile winged creatures, you recall something... They may relent if you speak the phrase you learned from the Duke's daughter.

Those words...!

When you repeat the words that the Duke's daughter taught to you, the winged one gazes at you in surprise. He then spreads the wings on his back and rises into the air, as if opening the way to you!

The question does not seem addressed to anyone, and the winged one disappears. You feel as if you are once again alone in the room...

Looks like that did it.
Then... is the path leading to the castle in the heavens beyond here?

Let's hurry on ahead.
Yes... Let us proceed onward!
We're heading up into a new floor. Let's be very careful as we go.

You move to climb the stairs to the next floor with your guildmates. However, Chloe remains behind, wearing a disgruntled look on her face.

They didn't lend us their wings. I wanted to ride on them...
Sheesh... You're still hung up on that?

Ignoring the black-robed girl's petulant protests, you proceed onward and upward.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 11, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

There's a Guild Name in there instead of a Guild Guild.

I never heard almost all of the audio conversations. They're fun!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Apparently this update contains all the Best Things, because drat if that rock event wasn't the most glorious one thus far. I appreciate that the events make it possible to characterize the Fafnir as an enormous dork. Do all the other options lead to failure states? (Also, because I live there, references to the distant land of Ontario always made me giggle. Although don't they know that most maple syrup comes from Quebec?)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hope you know that in a bar in High Lagaard Bellamy is crying on the inside because you didn't take him instead of Fedot. Caressing his chess piece.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

There's a Guild Name in there instead of a Guild Guild.

I never heard almost all of the audio conversations. They're fun!

Oops, fixed. It's actually supposed to be just Guild there. Though I do still giggle every time Guild Guild shows up. :v:

For anyone that has the game, you can listen to them in the Albums section under voice. They're all in the conversations section. The facilities even have audio only dialogue in Classic, though they're listed in the respective sections for those NPCs.

vdate posted:

Apparently this update contains all the Best Things, because drat if that rock event wasn't the most glorious one thus far. I appreciate that the events make it possible to characterize the Fafnir as an enormous dork. Do all the other options lead to failure states? (Also, because I live there, references to the distant land of Ontario always made me giggle. Although don't they know that most maple syrup comes from Quebec?)

All of them work, but it's actually random if they succeed or not. Failure just has Knight lose some more HP.

The rock event is still in Classic but nowhere near as glorious.

alcharagia posted:

I hope you know that in a bar in High Lagaard Bellamy is crying on the inside because you didn't take him instead of Fedot. Caressing his chess piece.

There was no way he was being invited. :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 11, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 31: Waiter For a Day

A new floor, which means it's back to town.

Oh, it's Guild. ...That must mean... Arianna's here too!?
Yes! I am right here.
Haha... Sirs, I hope your day is quite enjoyable!
Y-Yeah, you too! Wow. Arianna's pretty, she's kind, and she's even strong. How can anyone not like her? You kids better not hold Arianna back, y'hear me!?
...Hey, why do you suddenly have a cult now?
Arianna's super popular.

Hmm. I'm not sure if the game was implying that multiple people were talking there or not. Anyways. here's the last audio only conversation for the bar.

I want that, and this and... that over there!
Of course, lassie! Eat yer fill!
Dame Chloe, how do you stay so thin with such a prestigious appetite?
I dunno, I don't do anything special.
Awww, how I envy you.
Ha ha ha, ladies are always worried about that, eh? I say yeh need to fatten up a teeny bit more lass! Here, yeh have some more meat too!
N-no thank you.

Ah, Guild Guild. How may I assist you today? Please do not hesitate to ask anything. ...Hm? Where Lady Gradriel is? Ho ho ho, that's quite the brush-off. Tired of being greeted by my old face? Unfortunately, Lady Gradriel is currently meeting with an ambassador. I doubt that she will have time to come down today. She has quite a full schedule, but I will be sure to pass the message along. Why do you look so surprised? It is only natural that I report to her about you. Ho ho, Lady Gradriel is concerned for your well being too, you know. Just as I am.

Yeah that's pretty much all the new stuff the townspeople have to say in Story. Oh well, time to see another inn scene.

Time to meet up with Arianna.

Come in.

Did something happen?
Well... It's not that anything happened, but my mind tends to wander when night falls. As a Daughter of the Mark in Caledonia, I have been told since I was young that my role in completing the ritual is essential. I always fully believed that it was my destiny to perform this duty.
But there were so many things about it I never knew... They... sent me to do this without ever telling me of the last Daughter of the Mark, only a hundred years ago...
Did... did my father know...? Did he choose to withhold this from me? When they chose an escort from the Midgard Library, resulting in our reunion... was it all planned in advance?

...You might be right.
Yes... I began to have my suspicions after hearing what the last guardian had to say.
I believe that Father feared I might follow the same path as the previous guardian... He was afraid that I would sacrifice myself. Perhaps that is why he kept all of this from me. All to keep Caledonian casualties to a minimum...
I... I'm so angry at myself. I came here in ignorance, and as a result, so many have suffered. I involved you in all this, and caused Sir Bertrand much grief... And it's not only today. My bloodline has caused the suffering of so many... My family... my country... why...?

I... I... *sob*... ...Sir Knight...

I'm... impinging on your kindness again, Sir Knight. The true victim here is you, with all the changes you have undergone.

Don't worry about it.
Sir Knight... How are you able to think that?

Casting blame isn't going to help.
Oh...
Perhaps... you're right...
The same could be said about Caledonia... Arguing whether my father or grandfather acted wisely changes nothing...
Please allow me to promise you this... I won't cry anymore. I will do all I can at your side, Sir Knight. I don't want to be a pawn in need of protection. I want to fight alongside my friends.

I'll be counting on you.
You may rely on me!

And back into the Labyrinth we go.

It's amazing, all right... But how does it work?
A lot of things in the Labyrinth don't make any sense, kid. Probably better we don't think about it too hard.
Point... Anyway, we should be thinking about how we're going to proceed.
Um... Might we board it?
Hm? You mean that floating thing?
Yes. It seems stable enough there, so I thought perhaps we could ride it.
All right. Let's do it.
Just like that!?
Hmm... I'm a little nervous about this, but it's true that we're running out of paths on this floor...
What's your call, Knight? Should we try getting on this thing?

Won't it be dangerous?
...Wimp.
Uh, what he means is that we shouldn't do something so reckless without thinking about it first.
Though if there's really no other wayforward, we'll have to try getting on this thing sooner or later.
Guess we'd better brace ourselves...
Well then, shall we try searching for another way?

Well before we do that, let's look around first.

Wow, that smells nice...

You think that you could easily break off the branch if you reach out to it.

Let's break off a branch.

Hmm. The flower's pretty plain, but that smell is amazing.
Yes, it's most refreshing. I could see it being desirable to perfumers.
There are other branches here... should we take another?

And another.

I bet the kid at the trading post would love to get her hands on this. I bet it'll fetch some good coin.
There are more branches. Should we take another one?

And another!

As you break off a handful of the flowering branches, you hear the savage growl of beasts behind you!

Wh-What the!?

You turn to find a pack of beasts, enraged by the plundering of their territory!

Haha... Guess it serves us right for getting greedy.

There is no escape in sight... Take your weapons in hand and face them!

Anyways, back to where we were before.

I should note that thanks to technological improvements, you're actually shown as being transported to the other side instead of a fade to black transition when you step on them. And yeah you actually have to step on them instead of merely interacting with them like in the original game.

That made my heart skip a beat, but it was quite enjoyable nonetheless!
Looks like it takes us right to the other side, depending on which direction we get on it from.
We'll get lost quick if we don't keep in mind what direction we're going and how to note that on the map, though.
Who cares. I want to do it again!
We definitely can't leave keeping track of anything to the kid here, so we'll be counting on you.

It seems these footholds take forward in the direction that you embark upon them. This may help you delve deeper...

Ragnar Homsar already shows how to get through this floor in his Classic playthrough, and there's nothing left to show off in Story here. So I'll just put in the last audio only conversation for the 4th Stratum here.

I can't help but be awed. Such beautiful flowers.
It feels a bit weird for someplace this dangerous to be so... beautiful.
Yeah.

And here's the end of this floor.

Not heading back to town just yet.

Whoa...! This one looks important...

Descending from the sky is a winged one, but his bearing is quite different from the others that you have met. He is adorned with fine jewelry and shows a noble bearing as he quietly speaks.

So, you are the earthbound ones who bear the ancient pact. Shall those who descended to the earth return to the heavens?

To seek the aid of the castle's lord.
The Almighty Star...? Hm, so the earthbound ones keep His lore as well. Very intriguing. But words will not be enough for this. If you wish to gain entry to the path to the heavens, you must present other proof.
What is this 'other proof'...?
I believe the earthbound ones called it... Ah yes, the Ancient Periapt. It was passed down through kings as a sign of those who may return to the heavens.

Sadly, you cannot think of anything in your belongings that matches this description...

Hm. Then though it pains me to do so, I cannot permit you to pass.

With that, the man who seems to lead the winged ones falls silent, blocking your path forward. He seems to be serious in his stated intent to prevent you from passing, and is uninterested in further discussion.

Something passed down through kings... Might it remain in the Duke's family?
Should we ask at the Grand Duchy...?

It seems you have no choice but to inquire after the Ancient Periapt at the Duke's Palace.

Okay now we're heading back to town, as we can't progress in the Labyrinth without meeting that important Winged One. First up, I opted to rest.

Um, uhhh. People wanted to see more of Bertrand, right?

I can take or leave it.
Yeah. It's just candy.
Well, if you don't hate it, mind taking some of these off my hands? Think of it as helping a pal!
Huh? Where did I get all these? Uh… from the innkeeper.
Every single time she sees me, she says I need to put some meat on my bones, and dumps a bunch of these on me. I keep telling her I don't really have a sweet tooth, but it never stops her.
Why do women that age never listen to what you have to say...?

Why not give them to Chloe?
It's bedtime for little kids. She never wakes up once she's conked out, anyway.
Well, now that I've gotten rid of these, I think I'll head back... Sorry to bug you, Knight. I'll ask for your help again if I ever feel I need it.

Before we talk with the people at the Grand Duchy, let's do some cooking.

Alright, it's done. Could you try eating it now?

Sound of something falling and then a thud.

Flavio passed out.
What? Why? What did I do?
Sir Flavio does not like insects... spiders in particular.
What a coward.
Whoa, whoa, hold on there, kid. Just this once, I'm with him. Now, let me say this on his behalf:
What the hell is this!?
Fried whole spider. I told you the recipe name before, right?
Like that tsukudani before, why the hell does Apicius want to eat bugs as-is!?

If you didn't cook that dish, Bertrand actually says this line instead.

That's not what I meant. Why the hell does Apicius want to eat bugs as-is!?
High Lagaard wasn't an easy land to raise livestock, I hear. This was a precious source of meat, most likely.
I see... It is a dish that tells us the history of High Lagaard.
That's not the point...
Uhhh... Sorry, kid. This old man is out of things to say.
However, coming face to face with it... It is rather difficult to eat. I do feel sorry for it.
...You said that before, thinking about it.

If you didn't cook the Monster Fish Panino, she says this instead.

Hrm, is that so? Knight, what about you? Do you dislike the looks of this dish?

It's instinctively gross.
I see...

It's acceptable.
Hrm, I see. So it varies from person to person.

Dialogue merges here.

It looks like I need to think about this. I can only see them as ingredients, so I don't understand it. Though I feel really bad about what I did to Flavio...

Don't worry about it.
Thank you, Knight.

Let's hide it before he wakes.
Yeah, that's for the better. ...Too bad since it's tasty and healthy.

Let's make him eat it.
...I see. Make him eat it so that he can overcome his fears, huh? That may be a good idea. If he eats what he's afraid of, he might no longer become fearful of it.
...Allow me to speak on Flavio's behalf.
Don't.
Do you think? I thought it was a good idea...

Dialogue merges here.

I'll add a note to the menu warning those who can't stand insects. When you order it, I'll make sure Flavio doesn't pass out again.

Trash effect. I mean having an endure effect is nice, but only for the first 3 turns? If you're expecting to die within that period of time, there's either an alternative method to deal with that, or your party is really poorly thought out.

Oh my, it's a bit cute heaped up like this.
Wow, this scent...! I'm pretty confident in my fried rice, but you really are a pro, Regina!

Brava, Regina!
I-I told you before... Flattery will get you nowhere.
Here, have a second helping.
Ooh! Thanks a bunch, Regina!
Stop flattering me! I won't give you any more seconds, you got it!?

Seconds!
...Ha, fine, fine. Here, have as much as you like.

Dialogue merges here.

Is it just me? Regina's face looks gentle.
It just shows you that she can't be angry forever.
...There may be some change of heart.

If you've progressed Regina's subplot far enough, Bertrand says this instead.

She's settled things in her mind. She's got a refreshed look on her face.
Just like you, Sir Bertrand?
...Quiet, kid.
I'll add this to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it. I'll be waiting.

If someone gets inflicted with an ailment or bind, they recover 5% of their max TP. And no, if someone gets inflicted with multiple disables, they don't recover any more than that. I see absolutely no use for this. Like TP starvation is a problem in this game, but ailments and binds are much worse problems to have.

What an aggressive pasta this is...! Um, so what are we supposed to do?
...Hm? Eat it, what else?
Like... this?
Yeah. The venom's been removed, so you can just crunch into it. It's got good texture.

I'd like to try it.
Yeah, you can enjoy it by eating it with the pasta at the same time.

...I'm a bit hesitant.
I do understand what you're saying, but… Well, you don't have to eat it if you don't want to. Try eating it if you feel up to it, though.

Dialogue merges here.

I'll add this to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it. I'll be waiting.

This food increase your chance of escaping by 10%. If this game was EO4 or EOU, I would say it was worth taking since the escape rates in those games are abysmal. But in EO2U? Well the escape rates aren't as skewed in the player's favor like in EO3, but they're acceptable enough that this food is pretty much a waste.

Anyway, once you cook enough food the next scene in Regina's subplot starts the next time you enter the restaurant.

...Did it not work?
...No. It didn't.

It worked, right?
Ah...
... You shouldn't poke fun at Regina like that. Look, she's tearing up.
Wh--I-I am not tearing up!
I tried... I'm still trying, but whether or not it's having any effect... I still don't know. With you getting me all the new recipes, I'm not too worried about losing the customers we have, but...

Just spit it out.
Ah... ...Well, it's... not going so well. I tried... I'm still trying, but whether or not it's having any effect... I still don't know. With you getting me all the new recipes, I'm not too worried about losing the customers we have, but...

Dialogue merges here.

...Idea. I've got one. This is our time to shine.
Huh? And what do you exactly mean by that?
Dun-dun-dunnn. We should show Regina how to interact with customers.
That sounds like a wonderful idea!
...Though I've never done anything like that before. I do hope I'll be able to set an appropriate example.
Don't worry. I've never done this before either.
How can we not worry!? How does this sound even remotely like a good idea!?
Hm. It might actually work.
I tried visiting other restaurants for some kind of reference, but I just came back moping. I can't just copy their service style.
It might be easier for me to try something more realistic.

Then let's give it a try.
Yeah... thanks for the help.

...You, mopey...?
Q-Quiet. That has nothing to do with this. Now show me how to talk to customers!

Dialogue merges here. Also, the sound of a door opening plays.

Oh! It looks as though someone has just come in.

Welcome!
Y-Yes! I'm here! ...It's a little strange when you're the one saying it, Knight...

Are you running errands?
Oh, no. Actually, I... came here to eat lunch today.

Dialogue merges here.

I heard that you were all helping out with the cafe... but I didn't know you actually worked here.
*giggle* It's just for today. We'll make sure to serve you well, as our thanks for all the help you give us at the shop!
Oh, um... You don't have to! Normal service is fine by me!

Let me show you to your seat.
Oh, um, yes! Thank you very much...

Please, take my hand, milady.
Milady...!? M-My hand...!? O-Oh...

Dialogue merges here.

Hmmm... pretty smooth. He's not bad at this.
Wow... there's so much to choose from on the menu... and they all look so good. ......U-Um, there's something I wanted to ask you. May I?

I'll do all I can to help.
Oh...! It's so reassuring to hear that from you, Knight!

It's not gonna be weird, is it?
I-I don't think it is! It's a normal, reasonable request...! I think...

I don't want to hear it.
H-Huh...!?
Oh, c'mon. You could at least let her finish...
And aren't you supposed to be showing an example of how to treat your customers well, here? Do it right!
So, kid, what exactly did you want to ask us?

Dialogue merges here.

It's actually almost my dad's birthday, and I'd like to celebrate it at this cafe. ...So, um, I was wondering if there was something specific on the menu you'd recommend...?

Bizarrely enough, that last option is still there even if you haven't cooked, or even unlocked the Fried Whole Spider recipe.

Anyway, I wonder what her father likes.

Hmm... my dad likes... Oh, he likes things with a really strong flavor! He also likes meaty dishes.
Oh. Your dad and I will be friends. I recommend the steak then. It's really thick, and the sauce adds a really strong flavor.
The... venison steak, then? Well, okay, I'll have that!

Let's see what Regina thinks.

M-Me? Well... I suppose I'm confident about any dish on the menu... It's your father's birthday, right...? Then maybe... a steak might be good?
Steak... oh, that's a great idea! My dad loves to eat meat. Okay, I'll have this venison steak then!

Fried Whole Spider. :unsmigghh:

Wha--!?
Okay, stop right there! Why the hell would you recommend that!? You think that's the best we have to offer!? Of course not! Right?
Flavio. Shut up.
You know what? No! Over the line, man! I'll make a scene if I have to, but I have to set this guy straight! Why the hell would you ever recommend that to a first time customer!? And--And as a birthday meal!? Are you nuts!?
U-Um... if possible, I'd like something a little more normal... M Maybe like a meat dish, or something...?
Meat, huh... well, there's always steak?

Instand. I see.

Oh, that makes sense! Then... I'll have this venison steak!

Dialogue merges here.

Understood. Dame Regina... if you please!
Got it. I'll be back in a bit.

Fade to black and sounds of cooking.

Wow, it's really thick-cut...! It looks amazing...!

It tastes amazing too.
Mhm, I can't wait! Time to try it! ......

Please, enjoy.
Oh, r-right. It just looks so good, I was a little surprised. Well… time to try it! ......

Dialogue merges here.

How is it?
It's... so delicious! I don't think I've ever had venison that was this tender!
*giggle* I'm glad to hear. I quite enjoy the venison here as well!
*giggle*... I'm sure my dad would really like it, too. I can't wait to come here for his birthday.
Yeah. I'm sure your dad would look forward to it too. Oh, hey, I know! Why don't you make a reservation?
Oh! A reservation...! I almost forgot. If you don't mind, could I make one right now?
O-Of course. Could I have you write the date and your name, just here?
Okay! Thank you for the meal. It was so delicious!

Please come again.
Mmhm! I'm looking forward to next time. Thank you!

Give your dad our regards.
Okay! Oh... Knight, remember to keep this a secret from Dad, okay?

Dialogue merges here.

Of course. Please take care on your way home.
I will! Bye! ... *giggle* I'm glad I came by today!
Hm...?
Bye bye.

Abigail leaves.

Hm? Regina, you alright? You look a little out of it.
... No, it's nothing. It's just... that's the happiest I've ever seen a customer. I'm... well, I'm impressed.

That's right!
...I wonder if I can do it as you did.

We just did what we usually do.
What you usually do... hm. Do you think I could do that, too?

Both of these lead to Regina saying the same thing.

I'm sure you can.
...I see.
First you need to make sure the birthday goes well. Then they'll be really happy.
Yeah, she's right... If everything goes well, her dad might end up so happy he starts crying.
Birthday... huh...
...Yes, you're right. I'll do everything I can to make the dinner a success. You've taught me a lot today... thanks.

Since a Classic mode party never does the whole food server for a day thing, the townsfolk actually have an entirely new set of Cafe dialogue for this. Oh and for the record, everyone's normal talk dialogue, aside from Abigail's and Dubois', are the same as in Classic.

I guess I hadn't ever considered that before...

Well, why didn't you say so!? I missed the chance to see you in that outfit! I'm sure Quona would have liked to see it too. If you ever have the time, why don't you work at my shop every once in a while too? Bahaha!

You were working as a server at Cafe, right...? D-Do you think you could you help out at the inn again too?

...Hee hee, it feels a lot more natural for me to welcome you than the other way around... Um, thank you very much for your advice! With your help, I got a reservation at a really nice place! I'm sure Dad will be so happy!

And here's her normal conversation.

Um, if you head out and to the left, there should be a tall building close by. Look across the street, and you'll see the deli.
Very valuable information.
Yes, it is! Everything they sell is really tasty. I definitely recommend this one snack where they mix ground beef and potatoes, and then fry it all up. It's so good!
...I'd love to go, but I get the feeling that once we get Chloe in the door, she's never coming out again.

Oh and if you already fulfilled the requirements for the Academic obsessions quest...

Welcome back again! Thank you very much for your patronage! Ah, wait... um... you aren't here to ask about the quest, are you...? Oh, I'm so sorry! I was going through our stock, and it looks like we already have the items I was going to request, so... it's already complete! I'm sorry, I really should've told you sooner, but I always mess up like this... I-I'm really sorry! And you came all this way, too... I'll be more careful from now on! *sigh*... If I was a proper lady like her, I would've done everything right, with no mistakes... Eh? Like who? Oh, I mean the alchemist! She's such a beautiful lady... You just might fall for her if you saw her!

And then she goes into her normal quest dialogue at that point.

D-Don't get me wrong, I ain't really worried 'bout yeh. Just... that cook came here wearin' some kinda goofy disguise... ...Just what the hell are yeh kids doin' over there!?

Word on the street is Knight can not only explore with the best, but he makes a fine waiter as well. Hmhmhm... You seem to be enjoying yourselves. I'm almost jealous.

Well... the winged ones that we met in the Labyrinth demanded that we obtain something called the Ancient Periapt.
The... Ancient Periapt. Hm. I suppose in hindsight, I should have given it to you when you first agreed to search for the floating castle.
Then, you will lend it to us?
Yes... However, the Ancient Periapt is an heirloom of High Lagaard. There are procedures that must be observed.
Procedures?
Yes. In order for me to lend it to you, I must first have you accept this as an official quest from the country.
What, you're serious? I'll never understand bureaucracy... what a pain.
I am sorry to give you such a heavy burden. But... I confess, the thought has crossed my mind many a time. Your true intent is Caledonia's ritual, but you have entered the Labyrinth time after time to protect High Lagaard from danger. I wished to officially make a request on behalf of High Lagaard... so that I may support you in your endeavors. Members of Guild. Won't you please accept my request?

Alright, let's do this. The last mission in the game.

Wait here a moment and I shall call for the Lady at once.

It's for the Ancient Periapt.
It is indeed vexing that I must devise these foolish pretexts, when all I wish is to aid you. You ought to take this... it is a pendant with an engraving of an ancient sword. It has been in our family for generations. This will surely serve as the proof of the ancient pact that they seek.

Members of Guild... Make your way to the floating castle and bring back the means to overcome the Calamity!

Let's see what Dubois has to say. Oh and for some reason, he has no dialogue for Cafe here.

Now go forth, with no hesitation!

I'm most grateful that the Lady is taking this issue to heart.
We must do our best to repay her kindness!

It doesn't change anything.
I suppose not... But doesn't it spur you on to try even harder?
Not for me. I say it's better to treat this like we always do, rather than get too keyed up about it.
Nothing good comes from getting nervous...
That sounds like it comes from experience.
C'mon, enough fooling around. We gotta go show this pendant to the high muckety-muck of the winged ones.
Yes, of course... I do hope that he allows us through.

In any case, let's go.
Yes. And if he is not satisfied, then we shall simply find another way.
...Will he let us ride him this time?
You're still going on about that...?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

That scene with Abigail's the best part of Story Mode, hands down :3:
Especially with the Fried Whole Spider :unsmigghh:

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

BlackPersona posted:

That scene with Abigail's the best part of Story Mode, hands down :3:
Especially with the Fried Whole Spider :unsmigghh:

Everyone's reaction to the Fried Whole Spider makes Story Mode 100% worth it.

Dr. Fetus posted:

This isn't true anymore. They changed Paralysis in EO2U to only disable evasion if the target can't act. Meaning that it's much worse than Blind now.

At least there's that one food that makes enemies near-guaranteed to skip their turn when paralyzed. In that case, you can stop an opponent's actions completely while get the evasion disable, instead of dealing with enemies who use moves that don't care whether or not they can see (buffs and the like). Not that I can think of any particular moment where this really applies, just thinking out loud.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 32: Lethal Cuisines

Huh? Something wrong, Regina? Not every day you come to us looking for advice.
Maybe. But... I've been asking some of the customers what they usually enjoy on their birthday. I have a couple ideas now, but I'm not really sure which one to choose... So I thought I'd ask your opinion.
Which would you prefer: someone sing a song for you, or bake a cake for you?

Cake.
Hm, I thought so. It's only natural to have cake for a birthday celebration...

A song.
H-Hm... so you think a song would be good? I suppose singing a song is an old tradition of birthday celebrations.

Both.
Oh, of course...! There was no reason to restrict myself to one!
B-But... a song would be...

Dialogue merges here.

So... you're going to have the Sitoth Trading owner's birthday here?
Y-Yes. They're planning on having a celebration at this cafe... so I was hoping I could do something for them.
Hey, that sounds like a great idea! I agree wholeheartedly!

I hope they like it.
Yes... so do I. Thanks for your input. I still have some time, so I'll give it a little more thought.

You can do this, Regina.
Y-Yes. I'm not very used to doing things like this... but I want to do something for them. Thanks for your input. I still have some time, so I'll give it a little more thought.

Oddly enough, that didn't cause the townsfolk to have new dialogue. But while we're here, why don't we get to some more cooking?

Oh, but it's meat. Is something the matter, Dame Chloe?
You're being quiet for once. Not gonna sing the meat song?
Do you have a fever or...? Maybe you have a stomachache!
I'm not sick. Chloe is simply... moved.
The meat is so big and juicy... It's a waste to eat it...

Good for you, Chloe.
Chloe cannot thank Regina and Apicius enough for this...
I want to just gaze at this dish all day...
Er, eat it, by all means. It's good cold, but it'll be a different taste.

Then, I'll go first.
!!!?!!!
...Hey, don't do it. You'll be hated for life.
Yeah, if you take the meat from Chloe right now, I don't think even I could back you up...
Same here.
Oh, everyone...! Sir Knight would never do something so heinous as that.
You think so? He sure looked serious to me.

Of course I was joking.
*giggle* Of course. I believe in Sir Knight!

I'm sorry.
*sigh* Make you you apologize to Arianna for believing in you, too.
Huh? ...Um, what do you mean? Why are you apologizing...?

All paths converge here.

Well, take your time to enjoy it. I'll add it to the menu, so order it again. I'll be waiting.
Yes, I'll take my time to eat it. ...I'll savor it.
She really does look happy...

Increases the party's Panic resistance by 80%. This would probably be a good food effect if you didn't have to kill the strongest FOE in the Stratum to unlock this, as chances are the Great Moths are nothing at this point. And there's not much else in the game that can inflict Panic, so this food is really situational.

You know, this looks too simple... Is it me, or do I have a right to be wary?

It's just you.
Huh, it's just me? Really?
It's true we've been served some bizarre dishes, but there's never been a problem with the taste, right?
Exactly. We have faith in Dame Regina's cooking abilities.
Only Flavio is wary.
U-Urgh...

Actually, me too...
Yeah, right!? There's no telling what's what with her.
Well aren't you two rude. I simply prepared the ingredients you brought.

Worrisome Flavio.
Wha-- Don't give me weird names! Treeclimbing Flavio is enough as it is!
Hey, you two! Stop making a ruckus during the meal!
S-Sorry!

Dialogue merges here.

A 10 point increase to AGI does a lot of things for the party. Increases their action speed, accuracy, and evasion. Not only that, if you have a Survivalist or Gunner in the party, it's a pretty massive boost to their damage.

Wow...! Since High Lagaard is a cold country, I'm sure warm food like this is welcome.
Yeah, a lot of customers order warm dishes. This recipe is perfect.

I hope they like it.
...Yeah, I hope so too. Lately, I have been having fun imagining the looks on the customers' faces as I cook.
Dame Regina...
Wh-What's with those eyes, Arianna? Don't look at me like that.
What do you mean “like that"? I was just gazing at you out of joy...
Stop that, I said! I'm still not use to that aspect of you...
Regina... Do you hate Arianna?
That's not what I meant...
Argh, I'll just add this to the menu! Come eat it whenever you want!

Seconds, please!
Haha, that's the spirit. I'm hoping everyone thinks it's good enough for seconds.
Oh, this'll definitely become popular! I want seconds, too!
Me too.
*giggle* Eat as much as you want. I still have a potful.
I'll add this to the menu, so order it whenever you want to. I'll be waiting.

This food increases the item drop rate by 15%. It's not a bad effect, and can be handy if you're really hunting for a specific drop. But I don't find this food all that necessary since the drop rates in this game are pretty reasonable. Also if you have the DLC teas, this food is completely redundant.

Meat!
Calm down, Chloe! First, take a look at what's below that!
...A shell? And, it's cooking the meat?
But it has nothing to do with the meat part. Chloe says this is edible.

Something might seep out.
Whoa, that sounds a bit scary!
What do you mean by “something"? That's rude to say that in front of the person who made it.

There's no problem.

Dialogue merges here.

I'm just using that in place of a grill. It's no different.
Then why don't you just NOT use the shell?
...I thought that too and tried it in a normal pan, but… The taste turned out differently.
So maybe something IS seeping out!
Huh? But it's delicious.
Meat paradise.
You're already eating it!?
...I can vouch for the taste. Could you order it when you feel like it?

YESSSS! I can feel the power flowing into me! :getin:

This food increases the chance of paralyzed enemies not acting from 50% to 99%! Effectively this takes enemies out of the fight completely. They won't be able to evade any attacks since the Paralysis will almost always kick in, and this prevents them from using non-damaging skills such as buffs and ailments as well, and shuts down skills that skip the game's accuracy checks. So this food makes Paralysis a much stronger ailment than Blind. The main downside to this food is that Paralysis is a much harder ailment to inflict than Blind in most cases. Still, expect to see this food in action very soon.

Alright, it's done. Can you try eating it now?
...... That's huge! THIS is half!? It's as big as my head!

It's all-you-can-eat.
I guess you can say that. It's not often when you can eat all you want. Let's give it a try!
Ooh... You kids have young stomachs, too. This old man'll just take the strawberry part.
Then I will take the filling part! *giggle* I'll take a lot.
I'll take all.

Can we finish this...?
Well, we have Regina, so maybe the six of us can take it on...?
That's right! We can do it!
Hoorah.
You young'uns have young stomachs, too.

I wanted one for myself.
Wha-- You're not going to order another, are you!? This here is one Flavio; you gonna eat two Flavios!?
We need to be challengers.
Yes, if we work together... we won't lose to anything!
Was the conversation this epic!? This is dessert we're talking about here!

Dialogue merges here.

Hrm, just as I thought... This dish is perfect for groups. I'll add this to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it. I'll be waiting.

That description is a big fat lie. It doubles attack item damage, not triples it. This isn't the result of a mistranslation either, the game says the same thing about this food in the Japanese version, so I have no idea what's going on there.

Anyway to elaborate on how much of an effect this has, the AOE Jars deals 220% TEC damage. The Alchemist's AOE formulas deal 320% TEC damage at level 20. Of course eating this food increases the AOE Jar damage to 440%, which actually makes them the strongest elemental attacks in the game. Even stronger than (postgame spoilers) the Dragon breaths! Which deal 380% damage at max level. Add in a level 20 Compression and you're looking at 880% TEC damage there. Which is pretty nuts and is a must have food if you're using a Compression Alchemist.

Unfortunately since the Story party doesn't have an Alchemist, this food is useless to us.

Alright, it's done. Could you give it a drink?
Hrm... Gotta love tea. I like black tea, but green tea isn't bad, either.
...Come to think of it, I see you drinking tea all the time instead of eating. Are you a tea-lover or something?
Ahhh, well... I guess you can say that.
...Trand, you're not going to tell him?

Let's ask.

...Well, I guess I should tell you.

Let's not.

Oh, don't make that face. It's not anything serious, I tell you.

Dialogue merges here.

It seems my body changed a little since the last ritual. I don't get very hungry. I tested it out one time. I can live off of just water for two months.
So there you have it. After that, it's been a habit of mine to drink water and tea.
The last ritual...
...The reason you always shared your meal with Chloe was because you weren't hungry?
Yeah. Useful body, eh?

It is useful.
Yeah, it was a valuable trait back when I was traveling alone.

...Not really.
...Yeah, maybe you're right.

Dialogue merges here.

It's hard to believe... You said you don't get hungry, but what about taste?
Hm? I can taste the difference. I can smell, too... That's why I prefer tea over water.
Regina, don't worry. Trand isn't a fan of eating... but he's having fun eating here.
Ah... is that so?
Well, I suppose. It's not a bad thing eating here with you kids. I used to skip out because eating was a pain, but now... not so much.

Let's eat together more.
Yeah, at this restaurant... right?

No skipping out anymore.
Yeah, yeah, I get it. I'll eat with you kids at this restaurant.

Dialogue merges here.

...I see. ...I'll add this tea to the menu, so you're more than welcome to come eat, even if it's just for tea.

Grimoire chances have a 40% chance of becoming a Passive Chance. Not all that great. But if you do have the DLC Grimoire Tea, you can't exactly control which passive you want to get, so I suppose it's a bit more situationally useful than the other Grimoire foods.

That's all the food I can cook for now, as I'm only missing one more ingredient. So, let's go back into the Labyrinth.

Words alone will not suffice. That is the Star's decree.

In answer to the man's persistent request, you raise the pendant entrusted to you by Lady Gradriel.

Almighty Star! Just as you foresaw, the lord of the pact has appeared before us!

The winged one calls out excitedly before unabashedly staring at you with intense curiosity.

Allow me to ask you this, earthbound ones. What is your name?

Your reluctance to state your name elicits a questioning look from the winged one.

I wonder, earthbound ones... are you wary of me? You are free to keep your name to yourselves, but we are bound by duty to guide you from here on. This will prove difficult if we do not know your names. I would appreciate it if you told us.

The winged one waits patiently for you to reveal your name.

...Are we stuck here until we say it?
He strikes me as quite stubborn...

Alright alright.

I'm Knight of Guild.
Ah. That has an odd ring to it. Knight... of Guild. Knight of Guild... Yes. I shall remember it well.

After repeating your name a number of times, the winged one delivers an odd bow and resumes his speech.

We obey our fates and live within the forest. We do not mingle with earthbound ones and live by the Star's will. As chief of the winged ones, I accept that you are given the right to return to the heavens.

Very well... Can we go now?
Indeed. All is as the Star decreed. But hear me. Our duty is to present those with the proper credentials to the path leading into the heavens. Listen, and think on my words. Do you truly have the resolve to throw yourself on the sky's mercy?

Canaan points to the forest behind him, speaking slowly.

The path to the heavens is the path to the Star. It is real enough. Yet at the same time... it is a pathway to death.
Well, that's ominous. What in the world's waiting for us there?
There is a winged beast perched before the sacred gate. We call it the Queen of the Skies. It is a dire threat to my people, and so we named it after our dread of the demon bird who hunts us as prey. If you would venture to the castle in the heavens, you must face the Queen of the Skies...

I'd rather avoid it.
If that is the Star's wish, it may not be impossible. But only a select few of our people have slipped past the Queen's vigilant eyes.

Canaan, having said what must be said, spreads his formidable black wings.

Farewell, Guild. If the Star wills it, then we shall meet again when you have reached the path to the heavens.

The winged ones fly freely through the sky and travel as they like through the Labyrinth...
That sounds real useful.
They still won't let me ride them.

You are free to proceed on or head back to High Lagaard.

I should note that if you aren't going to kill these birds on the floor, then it's in your best interest to lure them to the other nest in the room. Eventually I head back to town to restock. Upon heading into Cafe again...

Oh, about her dad's birthday...? Did it go well?
Yes, it certainly did! I baked a special cake, and... I even sang a song with Abigail for him.
Th-Then the other customers joined in the singing...
...Well, I don't mean to brag, but we ended up throwing an excellent birthday celebration.

Good job, Regina.
...I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help, so… thanks, Knight.

I wish I was there...
O-Oh, really? I'm sorry--it didn't occur to me to invite you all...
*giggle*... Then, how about we celebrate our birthdays here one day?
We may be busy with exploring right now... but one day, we can make the time.
A birthday party, huh...? Yeah, sounds good!
Yeah, not too into the whole party thing... but I wouldn't mind hearing Regina sing.
I want to see that too. I can't imagine what it's like when you sing.
W-Well, I'm not going to sing by myself! I'll sing along if someone else sings though.

Dialogue merges here.

*giggle* But I'm glad you had fun.
I really did. It's been such a long time since I've participated in a birthday party... There was a lot of preparation involved. The first person to tell me that I was a good cook was my Grandpa... It was his birthday, so I decided to cook for him.
He praised me so much, then... I was just so happy... ...I suppose I started cooking because I wanted my Grandpa to be happy.
Now... I remember why I started in the first place.

That's a touching story.
I had forgotten about it completely until now... That's so bizarre.

There's that smile.
Haha, thanks... It must be how I smiled when I cooked, back then.

Dialogue merges here.

Well, that's all I have to say... Sorry to take up your time.

And this scene actually triggers new Cafe dialogue.

Oh, sorry. I just... remembered something funny. It really is nice... to see others happy.

Yeah. She used to look irritated all the time, but now she doesn't at all!
But she gets mad whenever I steal food from the kitchen.
And she gets mad at me for loitering around in the cafe.
Well of course she'll get mad at you for that.
Cooking food to prove some point to others...
That's what she used to say, but I feel that she thinks differently now.

I doubt she remembers.
*giggle* Perhaps you're right. She looks so cheerful when she's cooking these days.
Well, hope she gets more customers now. Looks like the birthday party got a lot of attention... maybe word'll spread.

Seems like everyone had a really good time! Now that I think of it, Quona's been acting a little strangely since then... She's been asking how much it would cost to eat at Cafe, and what kind of foods I like to eat... Bahaha! She's so adorable when she thinks she's being subtle. Haha... If you notice her acting strange, just pretend you didn't see anything, okay? Oh, she is just the cutest when she does that. Bahaha!

M-My mom likes fish. I wonder how much it would cost to get seafood... What do you think...? ...Oh! Y-You have to keep this a secret from Mom... you have to swear, okay?

Regina always seemed so scary to me... but she even sang the birthday song wth me. She's so pretty, and she's such a great chef, and she even has a beautiful singing voice. I really look up to her... Hee hee... I think I'll go to Cafe again when we have another celebration. And it's all thanks to your help, Knight. Thank you so much!

Haw haw haw, can't really hold a heartwarmin' little thing like that at the Stickleback! It's all fine by me so long as we can satisfy the folks who come in here.

*sigh*... What is this strange feeling...? I've been frequenting Cafe only because their food is so delicious... but recently, the place feels different. I can't put my finger on why... but it's just not scary anymore. In fact, it's... really relaxing. Comfortable, even. Just the other day, someone held a birthday party there, so the chef came out to the dining area, too... And the chef even looked at me, and asked if I wanted to sing happy birthday with everyone... Th-That adorable face... It's just not fair!

Hmhm, I'm rather jealous... Hm? Of who, you ask? ...Well. Who do you think?

...Hrm. I suppose it's nearly time. Hm? Nearly time for what? Oho ho ho, no need to worry! This is nothing that concerns you... At least, for now. I'll be counting on you to continue helping Regina.

I also got my hands on the last ingredient for the Stratum, so I go ahead and cook the last of the 4th Stratum food.

Chloe.png. Again.

Hey, this jam is made from that humongous strawberry, right? Wouldn't you have an incredible amount of jam if you made it from that?
Come to think of it... you're right. Is the kitchen jam hell right now...?
You don't have to worry about that. It's a watery fruit, so boiling it reduces the amount by quite a lot. Plus, there are plenty of ways to use the jam, like including some with bread. ...Or maybe filling up small jars to give to customers to take home.

Crafty, eh?
Y-You think? ...I just thought of that because there were customers that asked me if they could take home some spices...
*giggle* Dame Regina always thinks about her customers.
It's no big deal. But, well... I think the same about you.
Alright, I'll add this to the menu, so order it again whenever you feel like it. ...I'll be waiting.

You should charge.
I thought about that, but I figured it'd be a good advertisement for the cafe to give them out for free first.
I see...! You have to lose in order to gain, right?
Yeah. I know of a few customers that'd like to use my spices, so I think they'd advertise for me. Alright, I'll add this to the menu, so order it again whenever you feel like it. ...I'll be waiting.

Not a bad food effect, but VIT is probably the least important stat to be concerned about giving a boost. It only decreases physical damage taken in most cases, but there are a few situations where 10 extra VIT can help.

My, this is quite a refined taste. The potato is nice and hot... *giggle*
I cannot help but smile!
...Arianna really eats food so deliciously.

She's cute, huh?
Yeah, I agree. She is a cute person.
U-Um... Is something the matter, you two?
It is hard for me to eat while you two are staring at me...

I won't lose either.
Haha, I see you're not. You and Arianna make a great couple.
Urgh!?
What's wrong, Arianna? It's not like you to choke on food.
Th-That's because... Um...

Dialogue merges here.

You're a strange one. But, as long as you like this dish, there's no problem. I'll add this to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it. I'll be waiting.

Doubles the chance of getting added effects on your Grimoires. In all honesty, you don't really need them, the effects are pretty negligible. The important effects are obtained through an alternative method. And if you have the Original Sin DLC, this food effect is completely redundant.

This is...
Wow, that looks good! I like that look of it: as rich as it looks!
Flavio. That is not the problem at hand.
Dame Chloe...? Is there something wrong with this dish?
Something really wrong. This dish... it is difficult to remove the vegetables.
Oh my...!
Would it not be a problem if you simply ate them together?

Don't be so fussy.
He's right. Dame Regina's vegetables are also very delicious.
Urgh...
I've always thought this, but you're too picky with your food, Chloe. Eat before you pass judgment.

Let's work at it.
Sorting the vegetables out, one by one... When the ritual is over, I feel like something good can be summoned.
What do you mean ritual? Stop eating like that too, Knight.
*sigh* I shake my head watching the fanatics of you two meat worshippers...

Increases the party's Curse resistance by 80%. I suppose there are a few bosses this might be handy for.

That was the last of the food we can cook in the 4th Stratum, so let's make our way to the floating castle.

Truly, we are atop the very clouds. It's none the less fascinating for having climbed here on foot, isn't it?
Yeah. We haven't been keeping track of how high we've been, so it's kind of neat to see.
Hrgh... Though now that I'm looking down at it all, I'm getting vertigo...
What would happen if we fell?

We'd get stuck on a branch.
Oh. Maybe. Yggdrasil has lots of branches. We might be okay?
How do you not see the gap in that logic!? There's no way we'd be okay!
Easy, fella. The air's thinner this high up. You're gonna wear yourself out if you keep yelling.
Oh... This is true. The air does feel different here, like when I once climbed a tall mountain.
Thinking more about it... we now stand taller than any mountain in Caledonia.

It's at this moment that you realize how unusual your position is, and you all take deep breaths. Bertrand is right about the air seeming a bit thin, but it also feels pristine compared to the surface air... If you wish, you can rest from your long walk here and spend some time enjoying the breathtaking sight.

Let's rest.

That sounds wonderful! Let's enjoy this view while we can.
That's fine and all, but make sure not to fall, okay?

I can't promise that.
C'mon, it's an easy question! Why, what were you thinking of doing?
Don't try anything funny, Knight. Hey... speaking of which, where's Chloe?

Flavio's question causes you to look about for the girl... only to find her leaning over the edge, gazing below!

H-Hey! What're you doing!?

All four of you quickly move to pull Chloe back to safety!

I was about to touch a cloud.
What...!?
What do clouds feel like? Are they as soft and fluffy as they seem...?

Let's try and find out...
Shall we!?
No one's touching anything! You people are going to give me a heart attack!

Idle chatter holds sway as you enjoy the cool breeze and the peaceful moment spent together.

C'mon, let's get going. If we stay here too long, we'll get cold.
Trand's calling time on a break? That's rare.
I'm freezing. When you're stuck in metal armor like me, you get cold real fast.

This does seem like the time to be on your way. As you stand back up, you feel refreshed from the leisurely rest.

All agree that it was a well-deserved break, but just as you prepare to resume your trek...

What...!?

Suddenly, you feel a piercing gaze directed toward you from the area's center!

A winged creature flies out and settles on the platform in the center of the floor.

You look to see a monster with giant wings descending from the heavens! Though it is still far away, the sight of it chills you to your core!

Could that be... the Queen of the Skies!?

You draw your weapon at once and stand ready for any attack it may unleash! But though the monster seems aware of your presence, it comes no closer.

It's not coming.
Seems that way... Even if we wanted to fight it, we can't get at it from here. If we're going to beat that thing, we'll need to find another way to reach it.
Yeesh, that's scary. And that's the thing we're trying to get CLOSER to?

You must first find a way to reach the Queen of the Skies. Knowing this, you must brace yourselves and continue to proceed deeper into this floor.

There's something over there.

You squint and can just make out a small animal. The animal shows no sign of fear in your presence. It chirps brightly and comes closer to nuzzle your feet.

Yeah, it's cute... but haven't we seen this routine before?

You may reach out to this suspiciously familiar animal, or ignore it and be on your way.

I'm sure that suspicious feeling is nothing.

You kneel down and gently reach out a hand so as not to startle it. But at that moment...!

Eek!
What the--That thing just got into our stuff!

With surprising agility, the small animal slips into your belongings and runs off with something in its mouth!

It took something...

Of course.

Didn't something like this happen to us before...? It was a different animal then, but...
Betrayed again...

Arianna, who seemed eager to finally pet the adorable animal, slumps her shoulders.

I'm sure it'll happen someday.
True... If we are persistent enough, it's sure to bend to our wishes one day.
Uh, I don't think that's in the cards. Every one we've seen has been different.
Don't be such a wet blanket, old man!

You each harbor different emotions about the small animal that vanished into the trees as you resume exploring...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, so now that the Story party is going to be reaching the 5th Stratum pretty soon, I'll hold the last inn scene vote now. (The 6th Stratum does not have any inn scenes because... reasons.) So out of the Story party, who's your favorite?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr. Fetus posted:

There was no way he was being invited. :v:

I can't believe that those guys would snub their best friend Bellamy G. Bosconovich VII The Resplendent, the best hero of High Lagaard (Class: Alchemist) (Catchphrases: "BUT OF COURSE!" and "OH ALIARA PLEASE :cry:") (Noted skills: Art decor tips, defeating the Overlord in a man-to-man duel, chess appreciation) (Status: Single, but married to his craft) (Mood: Magnificent) (Listening to: Hall of the Mountain King)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, and it's Flavio.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

This is loving art and it's going in the OP.

Also Chloe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll give my vote to Trand just so votes can keep all being different from each other and also because Trand is the best.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Flavio.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm always :allears: about Trand myself.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Trand is the best Fafnir that isn't Ranger or Knight :colbert:

shadowofshinra
Apr 12, 2014
I'll throw in a vote for Chloe

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No more votes seem to be coming in so, voting is closed!

Bertrand: 3
Flavio: 2
Chloe: 2
Arianna: 0

Since Chloe's vote came in later, hers will be the 3rd inn scene I'll show off.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of weird how some dishes actually incorporate all of the ingredients and how some dishes are just "it's pasta, oh and there are scorpion pincers hangin' out too".

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 33: Harpuia

There's no way to reach Harpuia from here, so we have to go down to get back up.

There's an outer and an inner ring that we have to travel through. Not much happens in the inner ring, so I'll skip most of it aside from the events.

What a breathtaking view...!
Look how high we've come. Man, this is a sight to see.
Flavio? Why are you holding back? Come up and see.
N-Nah, I'm good here...

Your guild collectively rests their weary fate, enjoying the splendid view. As you do so, a thought comes to mind... It must feel very refreshing to let out a good, solid yell in such a place.

YELLO!

You give into your rising impulse and shout at the top of your lungs!

Waaah! Wh-What was that for!?

Your voice quakes the air as if it could reach far into the heavens... It then slowly melts away into the sky. After having to mind every breath while traveling the forest, it is quite liberating to yell in such a carefree manner.

Knight, that was loud... Ow.
Haha, but I can understand the impulse. I imagine it feels good to shout out when you're as high up as we are.
It did seem enjoyable….
Sir Knight! Might I try one as well?
Ooh, if you're gonna do that, then why don't we all yell at the same time?
If we went together, I bet our voices would carry all the way down to High Lagaard.

You may try it once more if you wish, or go back to your investigation.

This is totally a good and safe idea.

Alright, then let's do this!
Me too?
Yes, all of us at once!
Oh dear... What a pain.

You look to each other to synchronize the cry, and all yell to the heavens on a count of three! You discover that yelling alongside your guildmates feels even more refreshing than when you did it alone...!

Ahh... That was exhilarating! I've never shouted out loud like that.
Me either. I could get used to it.
You hardly ever talk to begin with. Why don't you make this your hobby?
Don't joke around like that, old man. A hobby of shouting would be a problem if she did it anywhere but here.

As you playfully banter with each other, you hear the echo of a loud roar...

Huh... did that sound to anyone else like it came from close by?

You hesitantly turn around, and are met with the glare of an enraged monster!

Oops.

M...Might our whooping have angered it!?

You regret yelling carelessly not once, but twice. But it is too late for regrets...! The monster blocks your escape--you must face the furious beast as it charges for you!

Really? That's it?

I kill them easily.

Hey... Isn't that Canaan?

You look up and indeed, it is Canaan, chief of the winged ones with whom you spoke earlier.

We meet again, members of Guild. How astonishing for those without wings to have advanced this far... The will of the Star truly rests with you.

We were just lucky.
Yet that luck was arranged by the Star as well, no? You earthbound ones say such strange things.

Canaan smiles in sincere respect for your victory over the Labyrinth's hardships.

I will do my duty and tell you of what lies ahead. Beyond here was our sacred ground, where the Queen of the Skies now nests. You will find the path to the heavens there. If the Star's will is with you, you will vanquish this terrible fiend. But you have come a long way. Is there anything you would know? I will answer what is in my power to do so, as chief of the winged ones.

Canaan falls silent in anticipation of your first question. Upon consideration, you know surprisingly little of these winged ones. It may be best to ask some questions before venturing forth.

We are those of whom you speak. We live by the will of the Star, and are the sons of Father Son and Mother Moon. We are born in this forest, and die within it. Our people live according to the will of the Star.
That's it?
What else is needed?

Canaan holds his head high as he speaks. You doubt you can learn anything concrete.

After every question, you'll have the option to ask more or just skip ahead. I'll ask every one.

Hm? Do the earthbound ones not know of the will of the Star? How to explain...

Canaan looks up into the sky and composes his thoughts before responding quietly.

The will of the Star gave birth to us all. It dictates all that happens. We live and die in accordance with the Star's decree. Its will is our law, and is absolute.
I guess I understand... but that seems like an odd way to live. Isn't there something that you want to accomplish, Canaan?
Something I want...? I do not understand your meaning, earthbound one. We all live in accordance with the Star's decree. Everything happens as it should. Nothing deviates from that. Though I might wish it mightily, the sun will never rise from the west and set in the east. The will of the Star is the same.

And you accept that?
There is nothing to accept. It is as it is.

Canaan's voice is nonchalant as he continues his explanation.

One of our oldest commands is to escort those who bear the pact to the heavens. In addition, we are told to carry the injured earthbound ones to the heavenly castle.
You carry the injured to the castle? Does this Star being treat them?
That is beyond the bounds of what has been revealed to us. We do not know.
So you carry them and just leave them there? Well, that's not very responsible.
That is the Star's decree. It is not for us to know its will. You may as well ask why the rain falls, no?

Canaan falls silent. He seems to truly have no interest in the subject.

So they carried people to the castle. No one came back?
Yeah. If anyone had, we'd have known that the castle in the sky really did exist...

The way those taken there never returned leaves you with doubts, but Canaan offers no answers. Though you doubt he has any to give... There is unlikely to be any use in asking further on the matter.

It is where we go to heed the Star's voice. It is said to be the place nearest to the Star.
The Star... you mean like the ones in the night sky?
Of the multitude that exist, we exalt the one in the center of the heavens. But a star is just an effigy. Our Star is that which exists at the center of all the stars which attend it.
I... I don't really get it. So it's a star... but a different star?
Indeed. I am glad that you are so quick to understand.

Canaan nods with satisfaction before falling silent again, as if there is no need to say any more on the matter. He seems to have no particularly useful information for you...

The Queen of the Skies appeared before us suddenly, out of the blue heavens. We know nothing else of it. It descended upon our sacred ground, laying waste to our brothers and sisters who had come to hear the Star's voice. It was so sudden... Many of the people of the skies fell victim to the foul bird that day. It has since taken the sacred ground as its own, driving my people out.

Though Canaan speaks of the loss of his people's sacred ground, his expression in doing so is calm and unworried.

Isn't that frustrating for you?
Frustrating...?

Canaan repeats your phrase with a quizzical expression.

It was a serious event. But all is dictated by the Star. We had no strength to repel the demon bird. That is all.
Y-You say so rather dismissively...
Your qualms about this are foreign to us. If the holy land is deemed necessary by the Star, then one of our number shall eventually rise to slay the demon bird. All we can do is sharpen our fangs and talons to obey the decree that will come someday.

The chief of the winged ones says so with quiet indifference, though you detect a subtle menace to his words. They must believe in the day that will come, and are confident that they can slay the demon bird on that day.

But before we received such a decree, it seems that you will be challenging the demon bird. It is disappointing that it was not given to us to take our sacred ground back. But we trust in the Star's will.

Pictured: One of the few times in the entire series where the games warn you about an aspect of the boss you should prepare for. Fear protection is probably the most important thing to bring for the fight.

After delivering this warning, Canaan blesses you and promises to pray for your safety.

We're done here.

With no further questions to pose to Canaan, you thank him for the information. Canaan raises a hand in response to your thanks, and then points to the stairs behind him.

Ascend those stairs to meet the Queen of the Skies when you are ready to slay that demon bird. If it is the Star's will that you will return to the castle in the heavens, then you will find yourselves victorious. If the Star wills otherwise... then so be it. So, Guild. May the Star bless you...

That sounded pretty casual for how scary it actually was, right? Was it just me?
So if we're not 'fated' to get to the castle in the heavens, we'll end up dead?
The winged ones sure don't mince words.
But it's easy to understand.
I cannot be sure that the mandate they speak of is with us.
But there is nothing to be done for it than to charge headlong into the fray!

We'll win, no matter what!
Yeah!

You are free to challenge the demon bird awaiting your arrival, or head back to High Lagaard first.

I actually did not mean to go this way first. There was one more event I was looking to show off.

Huh? A fish...?
A fish? Don't be ridiculous... we're in the sky. Are you sure you didn't just see a bird?
Yet this is the Yggdrasil Labyrinth... Is it so hard to believe that such exotic fish might exist here?

Both Bertrand and Arianna have a point. If you wish to confirm this unusual creature's existence, you might try casting a fishing line.

Let's take a better look first.

Could a fish that swims the skies truly exist...? You take another look at the sky beneath your feet. The sky continues for miles, and the branches below you sway in the breeze that blows from time to time.

Hm... that might have looked like the outline of a fish. Chloe, you're sure that's not what you saw?
No. It was fishier. I think.

If you trust Chloe's account, then you might try casting a line into the sky.

Let's fish.

Well, let's give it a try.

You each cast a line into the sky that spreads beneath you.

I've never held a fishing rod before. Might I truly catch a fish?
We should have a contest.
A fine idea! Be warned, Dame Chloe, for I will not lose!
They seem enthusiastic... but are we really going to catch anything?
There's no water to feel on the line. What are we doing?

Indeed, it feels a bit awkward to cast a line straight into the sky... ...... As you wrestle with that uncomfortable feeling, to your surprise, you feel a powerful pull on your line! It seems a fish of the sky has taken your bait...!

Wait, seriously!? There's really a fish!? Hang in there, Knight!
Don't let it snap the line! Move the rod along with the fish's movements!

The pull is heavy, and the fishing line sways left and right… You patiently keep pace with the fish's movement until the line stops moving, and then quickly reel it in! But at that moment, you hear something snap, and the weight on the line mysteriously vanishes. Without the counterweight on the other end of the line, you stumble backwards!

Are you all right, Sir Knight...? What happened so suddenly?
Hm? Is this what you caught...?

As Chloe cocks her head in puzzlement and pulls up the line... you see a tree branch on its other end.

No wonder it was heavy... the hook must've gotten snagged in a tree.

What a huge catch...

It seems that what you struggled against was a gigantic tree that would easily dwarf you on land! When seen in that light, the heavy pull is understandable.

You're quite an optimist, huh...?

You ignore Bertrand's exasperated mutterings and check to see what it is you reeled in.

This is Bloom Wood. Aren't these rare?

I guess we came away with something, at least.
Thank you for your valiant effort, Sir Knight.

You carefully stow away the rare material before returning to your journey.

Okay okay, now back to the Queen of the Skies deal.

We've seen it once before, but... it's not any less daunting up close.
It doesn't seem bothered by us.
Still, I am anxious to approach it...

You sense no palpable menace from the demon bird, but Arianna is correct in that there is an eerie tension in the air.

Don't let it unnerve you.

You tell your guildmates not to let the monster's unhurried attitude rattle them.

Right. We won't know what it's capable of until we start fighting it, so it's best to be ready for anything.

You nod to each other, to shake off the fear constricting your movements. Now, prepare for battle! A powerful enemy stands before you to be defeated!

Here's my setup. I was holding back on the game before, but now since things are going to be easier, I figured I would go all out on these fights. No mercy. :getin:

ENGAGING MURDER MODE! :black101:

Harpuia
Level: 52
HP: 19660
STR: 45
TEC: 45
VIT: 41
AGI: 38
LUC: 45
Skills:
  • Shrill Cry: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict fear on the party, with a 60% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Claws of Despair: Uses the arms. Deals 2 instances of 150% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Storm Feather: Uses the arms. Deals 110% melee STR-based Stab damage to the party. Attempts to inflict blind on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Feast: Uses the legs. Deals a variable amount of instances of 80% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times from the second cast on. Attempts to bind every body part of hit targets, with a 10% base chance. The number of hits Feast deals varies based on how many times Harpuia has casted it. In order based on number of times: 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21. The number of times a target can be hit also scales based on number of casts: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Has a 40% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Chaos Scream: Uses the head. Triples the chance of all party members being afflicted with ailments and binds for 6 turns.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 75% 25% 25% 25% 50% 0%
0% 0% 10%
75% 25% 25%

In the original game, Harpuia was pretty much a complete joke, especially compared to the terror that was Scylla. Things... haven't changed much in the remake. Harpuia is pretty much a joke here too. She's pretty predictable and her moves are very easily countered. Her most threatening move is Shrill Cry, which is easily dealt with by wearing Scorpion Plumes. Also the game warns you about that ahead of time. Feast does get deadly if the fight lasts for too long, but you would have to take an incredibly long time for that to happen.

Harpuia will always cast Shrill Cry on the first turn, so I'll just have Bertrand smack her with his sword.

I don't see this fight lasting long, so I activate Flavio's Force Boost.

Unfortunately, Harpuia is immune to Blind, so I have to make do with Paralysis instead. Not counting the 9 LUC disadvantage Flavio has, he has less than a 27% chance of landing this, which isn't ideal but there's not much else he can do.

There's a couple of buffs that I really want to waste as little time as possible setting up.

Less than 27% wasn't that great anyway.

Since Shrill Cry is her main skill to worry about, since it has the highest infliction rate out of all the skills, and Fear really sucks to be hit by. Of course it's easily dealt with through Prevent Order, or Scorpion Plumes.

Man if that Paralysis landed, this would be doing so much damage right now.

Showtime.

The waves are Knight's best form of damage, but they are expensive at level 20. With Knight's TP pool being as small as it is, they'll run him dry after a few uses. This is why I had him the Force Energy passive. It restores quite a bit of his TP, 2% of his max TP from levels 1 through 19, 3% at 20, on top of a static amount. This is also why keeping him Transformed as much as possible is important, it'll reduce the amount of TP he spends, or just flat out restores some since it's possible for the TP restore to outpace the amount of TP Knight can spend.

And Bertrand's pretty much gonna Front Guard for the rest of the fight. Exciting.

I'm setting up an AOE Prevent Order to deal with something later.

That all you got?

And that's a 10th of Harpuia's HP gone.

Finishing up the combo with a Blade Recoil.

And she's already lost that much HP in 3 turns.

At this point, why not? Harpuia's not that much of a slog.

...Pfft, really?

Once Harpuia's HP drops low enough, she'll use Chaos Scream at the end of the turn, which places a debuff that triples the chances of her ailments landing. But it has an additional effect. Remember those Luminous Birds on this floor? If you didn't kill them or lure them to the outer nests, they'll head straight for you once Harpuia uses Chaos Scream for the first time. You have 4 turns to finish the battle before the first bird joins in. Fortunately, I solved the floor puzzle, so I don't have to deal with that.

Also Prevent Order counts as a resistance buff, so it will block or dispel the effects of resistance debuffs.

Gonna prepare for a little something here.

Head binds lower the target's TEC stat, so they take more damage from TEC-based attacks. Unfortunately this doesn't affect Ailing Slash since it's calculated against the target's VIT.

Feast ended up not doing much, and Arianna just shrugged off the damage thanks to one of her Grimoire effects.

Now Arianna will join in on the fun.

That was over 3000 total damage. Offense isn't really a problem anymore for this team.

And here comes the assau-

Are you serious!? The head bind wore off that quickly!?

I'll just have to hope I can reapply it.

:cawg: AHAHAHA! And now Harpuia can't do anything as long as she's Paralyzed.

Bah, the head bind didn't land again.

So here's a little trick you can do with Accelerate. If you have Force Charge at a high enough level, you can cast it at the start of the turn to get an extra damage boost. It saves TP and increases your overall DPS more than just casting offensive skills 3 times. But if Force Charge's level is too low, you'll lose out on damage instead. The overall damage boost at each level would be as follows.
  • Levels 1 through 4: 6.66% damage loss.
  • Levels 5 through 9: Break even. Saves some TP though.
  • Levels 10 through 14: 6.66% damage boost.
  • Levels 15 through 19: 10% damage boost.
  • Level 20: 13.33% damage boost.
Unfortunately, when used during Accelerate, the effects of Force Charge change to affecting the current turn instead of the next turn, no matter when it's used.

Now that Harpuia is Paralyzed, I'll have Flavio spam Multi-shot instead. I would have loved to spam Hazy Arrow, but given that Harpuia is immune to Blind, that wasn't really a viable strategy there.

Those numbers would have been even bigger if that head bind stuck. :sigh:

Oh and it turns out the reason the Paralysis food doesn't say always unable to act is because there are a few skills in the game that are scripted to go off even if they're Paralyzed. Even though they can be disabled through other means.

Now it's back to this again.

And I've got that conditional drop in the bag.

Poor Harpuia didn't do anything for the rest of the fight once she got Paralyzed.

Oh wow, talk about insult to injury. I got an extra copy of her normal drop thanks to a Grimoire effect. That only had a 6% chance of happening. So yeah, a pretty easy boss, even for Story.

You have defeated the dreadful tyrant reigning over this Stratum!

drat, but that was one nasty monster. That fight took a lot out of me...

Yeah. Sure was a tough fight.

You could work harder, you know.
Boy! Think you could be a little harsher on an old man? Yeah, yeah, I'll keep working harder...
Hah... To hear those two bicker, you'd never think we just pulled through after a tough fight.
I find it endearing. Particularly since we did emerge victorious, after all!
Don't you think at least a smidgen of celebration is warranted?
So should we celebrate too?
I say we do just that!

As you shout for joy in celebration of your victory, a figure descends from above.

It would appear you have slain the Queen of the Skies, Guild. I was unsure whether earthbound ones would have the strength to do so... But all is clear now. It was the Star's will that you would reach this place.

Canaan seems impressed with you, and gives a pleased smile.

We have recovered our sacred ground and you have reached the path to the heavens. Everything has gone as it should. Just as the almighty Star decreed. The path you seek is ahead. Please proceed, those favored by the Star.

With that, Canaan spreads his wings and flies off into the sky.

...He's gone. I would have liked to speak with him more...

He didn't lend us his wings...
True... Perhaps 'lending us his wings' was a metaphor for his services escorting us through the Labyrinth.
...A bait and switch. I was really looking forward to it. I wanted to fly.

Now that you've seen the chief of the winged ones off, you are free to proceed further in or return to town.

You pause before a pillar of light which rises into the sky. You look up, but the hazy air above blocks your view of the heavens.

We've finally made it. We sure took the long way here, huh?
A lot happened.
Too much, if you ask me. When we first came to the forest, trying to reach the floating castle never entered my mind.

I thought about it...
Even though that's not why the Library sent us!?
Wow... just don't let the Professor hear you say that.

As you exchange banter with each other, you look up once more at the path leading to the heavens.

Yet the Guild guild stands here now, with a full complement. Since you have foregone the long-lived ritual to seal the Calamity, you must forge onward to find a way of destroying it. You address your guildmates once more before proceeding with newfound resolve.

Now, let us go bring peace to this world.

You all nod to one another and take a step onto the path into the heavens.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 13, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 34: The Floating Castle

After four Strata of vicious monsters and terrain to fight through, we've finally reached the Heavenly Keep... Even though that wasn't originally our goal in the first place. I do have to admit that I like this remix less than the original song, though it's not a bad song itself.

Astonishing...! The castle truly does float in the sky!
Boy... it was worth living this long to know something like this actually exists.
Amazing...
I-Is it safe to walk on...? Well, I guess if it's already supporting a giant castle, it can handle our weight.

...Probably.
C-Cut that out! You're going to get me even more worried!

As you converse with your guildmates, a mysterious voice intrudes into your mind...

I, the Overlord of the heavens, created this keep. No one may enter without my permission.
What is this voice?
The Overlord of the heavens, huh... Is he the master of this castle?
What do you yearn for that brought you here? Speak.

You consider how best to answer the question put to you by the mysterious voice calling itself an Overlord...

Your cooperation.
Oh? You chose well to seek power from me. And what is it you hope to accomplish with my power?

You speak of your duty as Fafnir, the breaking of the seal, and what led to your audience with the Ruler of Heaven.

The power of Fafnir, hm...

A heavy silence reigns for some time before the voice speaks again.

I maintained a path for those who left my side that they might return to me. And now, you have gained the means to travel that path. I grant you permission to enter my keep.
Truly...!? Then you'll aid us?
That... will depend on your strength. Prove your strength within my domain. Should you find your way to my throne, then I will consider your plea.

The mysterious voice falls silent.

Prove our strength, huh? I'm not looking forward to finding out what's in there...
Probably going to be a hell of a welcoming committee.

The Overlord has challenged you to enter and prove your strength, but it may also be prudent to return to town first...

Well, let's take a look at the inside of the Heavenly Keep.

Oh man, out of all the Strata that got a visual upgrade, Heavenly Keep probably got the biggest one in the transition from the DS to the 3DS. In the original game... Well, uh... Just take a look for yourself.

The place looked like a giant piss castle and was pretty eye-searing! I said EO2 had the best looking Strata in the series, but that did not apply to the original version of Heavenly Keep!

But now? Just look at the place. More visible stained glass windows and a much nicer color palette overall. I still consider Petal Bridge to be the better looking Stratum, but the new Heavenly Keep looks real snazzy. But enough admiring the view. A new floor means that we should head back to town and see what the people there have to say.

Haha, what do you think? Lovely, isn't it? Quona drew it for you.
My...! Could this one be me...? *giggle* She's quite an artistic young girl.
Isn't she just? It looks like she's taken quite a liking to all of you! Now she even helps out with the room cleaning, and preparing dinner... Hahaha, I'm so proud of her. Now you go on and make my daughter proud! I'm counting on you!

Let's see some more inn scenes.

Once again, Bertand's was the one people wanted to see the most.

Plus... there's something I want to tell you.
I wanted to talk to you about the stuff that's going on with your transformations. We've figured out a way to get rid of the Calamity without having to sacrifice any of us. But now that you've gone through the ritual... you've changed, and you don't know how to turn back to normal. That Grail's supposed to do all kinds of things, so maybe it could cure you... but that's still no guarantee.
Maybe you've already noticed by now, but... since you got your powers through the ritual, you might be like me now. This goddamn body of mine hasn't aged even after a hundred years. I never even get hungry. I'm not out to scare you here, but people who don't age can't really stay in any one place for long. A few years isn't such a problem, but you go a decade looking the same and people start to get suspicious.
That's why I traveled all over the place... So even if you go back to the Library... I doubt they'll treat you like a normal human being there.
Does that scare you at all?

Yeah... it does.
You're drat right it does. When I realized all this, I was terrified. How long was I going to live like this? Does anyone suspect me? Those were the things I lived in fear of.
I think it was around fifty years later that I started getting wrinkles, which was a huge relief. I was still aging, just really slowly.
Maybe I'm worrying too much. Maybe the minute the Calamity's gone, you'll turn back to normal just like that. Who knows? And when that happens, maybe I... can finally die in peace.
But what if none of that happens? What if you end up staying that way?

I'll worry about that if it happens.
Haha, alright. Our situation changes all the time, so maybe that's for the best.
I'm sure whatever path you choose, you'll manage just fine.
But there's one thing I want you to remember. Once I've finished my business here, I plan to go back to wandering. I still won't be able to stay in any one place for long, but I'm pretty confident that I can manage wherever I am.
So Knight... If you ever find that body of yours getting in the way of the path you choose...
You're always free to call on me. We can hit the road together if it comes to that. I mean hey, having someone as strong as you around will make things much easier on this old man. Don't you worry about me. If you ever feel stuck, you can always just think of your pal Bertrand.

A journey with just the two of us?
Hahahahaha! Yeah... I know what you mean. Eh, but it's not so bad. Well... that's all I really have to say. Sorry for bugging you this late. I'll see you tomorrow, Knight.

Alone again in your room, you have only the silence for company. You consider what Bertrand said to you for a while, then decide to rest in preparation for tomorrow.

Cass has nothing new to say himself, and there's only one new bar patron in Story.

Hey, how are you doing? ...Well, you don't have to tell me. Everyone in the bar knows. Heck, everyone in the entire country probably knows. ...How did it turn out like this? We entered the forest at the same time, so how did the gap get so large? I... kept talking big, but I never challenged any Chimaera, and... to be honest, I'm afraid of even regular deer... But when I started talking, I just couldn't stop myself... Now, we're a laughingstock, and everyone calls me a liar... What should I do...?

If you don't like it, just change it.
...... Ughhhhh! Mister Knight, you're so cool! I wanted to become just like you, Mister Knight, but I just couldn't...! I know I'm no good! But I'll do my best, and turn this around! Watch me, I'll... I'll make sure that nobody calls me a liar ever again!
That fellow... He looks much more relieved now. It's as if a weight's been lifted from his shoulders.
Yeah... it's nice to have someone who you know will call you out on your crap.
Flavio is having emotions.
Oh, uh, yeah. I guess he kinda reminded me of the old days... Right, Knight?

A building that floats among the clouds... One day, I'd like to witness it with my own eyes. The Duke's Palace has informed me of all the details... I expect great things from you. I believe you can save High Lagaard. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

Hmmm... To think that I would live to see this day. Well done, Guild Guild. All that remains for you is to explore the castle, and search for a means to overcome the Calamity. ...I am certain that you will be able to accomplish this, and carry out your wishes, Guild Guild. Good luck!

Back to the Labyrinth, then.

Oh, something I do want to highlight. Mandrakes in the original game were pretty badly designed enemies. They had a skill called Scream which had a 35% chance to instantly kill all your party members, which was boosted by their ridiculously high LUC. They had a 49% chance of using that skill if they weren't at full HP. Which isn't the actual problem with them. The actual problem is that they had a 25% chance of using the skill if they blindsided you, and could come in groups of 5. Even worse was that there were no real answers to dealing with that, Instant Death resistance accessories were only available in the post-game.

Here they got reworked significantly. Their Last Cry skill has a 120% base chance of instantly killing everyone, and they can use it anytime. However, now they have to spend 1 turn charging up for it, and it can be interrupted with Blast Grenades. This basically means you have more ways to deal with them now. And if all else fails (Or you get blindsided by a rare breed Mandrake) you can just use a Return Flute for a guaranteed escape. Also as a kicker, they're no longer as ridiculously evasive and their LUC got toned down to more reasonable levels. Basically, one of the many ways the remake fixed the original game's problems.

Gracious, this is quite large... It is about Sir Flavio's height, is it not?
Unlike him, it's solidly built, so it looks bigger.
Hey. Are you hinting that I'm scrawny?

You ignore Flavio's crabbing at Chloe and get a better look at the large box. The device displays three pictures. Under each of them is a glowing protrusion.

It all seems rather ominous, but... could these images be depicting food? Hmm, this writing here... dark chicken soup, muddy miso soup, and Srimuang tom yum goong...
Those are provocative-sounding names. They certainly live up to their images.
Can those... really be food?
The buttons have food names written on them. Maybe if we push them... food comes out?

If you are curious about these dishes, you may try pushing the protrusions.

Let's try the muddy miso soup.

Pressing the protrusion elicits a light, chirping sound, followed by a deep growling noise!

Wh-What the...? Did that box just growl at us? Is there something inside it...?
We must be cautious, Sir Knight.

As you each nervously draw your weapons, the giant box continues to growl, and something emerges from it... But to your surprise, it's a delicious- looking soup, looking very unlike the images shown on the box!

Whoa. The person in there is nice!
What in the world...? There wasn't any sign of a fire, but it's nice and warm. And what's this bowl made of? Paper? How come the soup doesn't leak through...?
Obviously, there are a lot of questions raised here, but I know one thing.
What might that be, Sir Flavio?
This soup looks seriously delicious!
Sheesh, another member of Team Hungry... Can't you think with something besides your stomach even for a minute?
Oh...? See there... What used to be a picture of food has changed.

You look back at the box and see that she is right. The device now shows the name of an ingredient alongside an arrow.

The arrow's pointing to a hole... Does it want us to put that ingredient in there?

The soup you received had no ingredients in it. Perhaps this displayed component will be added to it...? The image shown on the device looks to be something like soft dirt... Unfortunately, you are carrying no such ingredient. Without ingredients, the soup is a tad simple, but you decide to enjoy the warm, aromatic soup nonetheless.

Ahhh... This is great. It's got a gentle flavor you don't get with the fancy-schmancy gourmet stuff...
Indeed, it's very soothing...
Hm? It just tastes really bland to me...
It's a subtle flavor. You have to drink it slow.
I didn't know there was such a thing...

The soup's odd aroma does bother you somewhat... but its taste still calms your mind.

As you cheerfully enjoy the soup together, you notice that the picture on the device has changed once again. Instead of displaying the images of food, it now shows the words, “That's all for today!”

Does this mean Mr. Box can only cook one meal a day?
Ah... How kind of them to inform us. Such gracious hosts.

The woman bows deeply towards the box, but it offers no response.

...This box is definitely useful, but I wonder how exactly it works.

Though your doubts about it remain, you must admit that this soup will be useful in your travels. You think it might be a good idea to mark this place on your map as you return to exploring with a fuller stomach.

In case you haven't figured it out, those are vending machines. There's a couple of these lying around throughout the Stratum, and they're pretty much the same event. You can pick a soup to heal up a bit, and if you have the right ingredient on you (You can't have dumped them at Regina's) their effects increase. This is what each of the soups do, along with their effects if you add the right ingredient:
  • Dark chicken soup: Restores 150 HP to the entire party. Restores 450 HP is Black Breast is added.
  • Muddy miso soup: Resotres 130 TP to the entire party. Restores 400 TP if Soft floor is added.
  • Srimuang tom yum: Restores 50 Force to the entire party. Refills the party's Force Gauges entirely if Purple Gel is added. Does not restore broken Force Gauges.
Wait a minute. The Heavenly Keep's floor is actually used as an ingredient in soup! ...Overlord, what the hell did you build this place out of!?

It seems to have been neglected for years, but it somehow manages to catch your interest. Though pressing it seems to accomplish nothing, before long a disembodied voice sounds.

Listen, all of you. Our... country has completely... vanished...
Hm...? It sounds a little like that Overlord, but it's not the same voice. Where is that coming from?

The garbled voice continues without answering your questions.

...Our old home... has no more meaning... A new leader must now... I... I will create an ark... new utopia...

The voice abruptly ends there and does not respond to any subsequent queries.

What was that all about?
A lost country, a new leader... It raised some interesting questions, to be sure.

You cock your heads, marveling at the strange phenomenon, before returning to your quest.

In Classic mode, the identity of the voice was a bit more ambiguous, though you could probably piece the information together pretty quickly. In Story mode they outright spell out that it's the Overlord speaking.

And that's all for floor 21.

I've observed you for a while now... the engineering at work is marvelous indeed. The power that flows through you... It is her working, no?

The Overlord seems greatly intrigued by your transformative abilities, and his voice sounds rather pleased with them.

Who's 'her'?
Your DNA has been tampered with. I had assumed it to be her doing. Was I wrong?
Wait, what...?
The lore of High Lagaard's founding... Guess the tale of the Lady who descended from the heavens to the earth was true.
She was a truly prodigious engineer. Her descent to the earth was lamented... Yet it would seem that even years after her descent, she continued her research. The same holds for me. I continued my work alone here for an eternity, searching for a way to defy the providence of nature.
The providence of nature? What do you mean by that?
Man's body is weak. Frail. It cannot live long once it has left the earth. I sought a means to reverse its nature in order to continue to create.
So that's the power that changes a person... what created the Guardian. You and the Lady made that together.
You are correct. Yet her outlook changed before the goal was complete, and she quit this place. But time passes. And now the owner of the power she created has returned to me. It is an event to rejoice over. Now, her orphans... Hurry to me.

With that, the voice speaks no more.

Research that defies nature... He meant the monsters from the forest, right? Does anybody else feel uneasy about this? Are we making a mistake coming to this guy for help?

Probably...
'Probably'? Seriously, Knight!? You're okay moving ahead when that's how you feel about it?
It's the only way. We were told to meet with the Ruler of Heaven, whether we can trust him or not.
What choice do we have but to keep going?
Well, if you put it that way... No matter what the Overlord has planned for us... we have to go see him.
True. But... I have faith. I believe that we will find a way forward by meeting with this Overlord!
Those who believe will be saved, eh? Remember, he did say something about testing our strength. We should be careful as we go.

You resume your explorations in order to reach the Overlord where he waits for you.

Interestingly enough, the Overlord does hint about the Lady in the original game, but only in 1 line. The person who directed EO2 still did the same for EO2U, so I wonder how long this was planned. Anyways, we got to a new floor, so it's back to town again.

...I wonder who created that floating castle. Why does it exist in the first place...? If someone created it, then surely it was created for some kind of purpose. So what exactly could that castle be? Historically, a castle has either been a symbol of absolute authority... or a fortified stronghold of war. Was it truly good fortune that led us to the castle...? I can't help but feel uneasy, the further onward you press... In any case, report to me if anything happens. I'll do all I can to help. That's really all I can say for now. No... Halt, Guild. There is... one more thing I must say to you. ...Thank you. I am glad that you came to this city, and that our paths crossed. ...I've said everything I needed to. You may return to your exploration.

And that's all the new town dialogue in Story. Time for the next inn scene.

Flavio's up next.

Well, whatever. This is as much for my sake as yours.
This might be a little sudden for you... But I want you to hear me out about this, Knight. Back at the orphanage, we were always together, and roommates as far back as I can remember. You were my best friend.
But even then... I was so jealous of you. You were stronger than me, more decisive, always kind even though I lied all the time... You always had the adults' praise. I was proud to be your friend, but ashamed too. We grew up at the same orphanage, so how did we turn out so different?
Whew, I finally got that off my chest.

I know.
...You're serious? Do you know how nervous I was saying all that out loud!?
But eh... it's still good that I said it. Even if you already knew, I had to tell you myself. How... I've always been jealous of you.
When the old man tried to sacrifice himself to protect us, he called us “outsiders," remember? It made me mad at the time, but later, I realized...
I wasn't conscious of it... but I always considered your problems to be my problems as well. The way I envied and resented you, how it was my fault you were involved in all this... That's all I could think about.
So I wanted to come clean. And I'm not saying all this because I felt guilty, but... because I'm your friend.

You think too much.
I can't really help that. It's just how I am!
Well, sorry for taking up your time with something weird like this. Whew... I feel kinda weird now. Like there's a huge weight off my chest. It's nice, really... Strange, though--after all these years, I feel at last like I'm really your friend.

So what were we before?
What? No, I'm not saying we haven't been friends all this time! That wasn't my point at all!
Wait... you're just messing with me now, aren't you? Quit that!
Well, I'm going to head back to my room. We have to wake up early tomorrow.
I'll see you tomorrow... and the day after that, and when we're all done with this too.

It is late, and you decide to rest in preparation for tomorrow...

There were some more quests I completed. One was Healing innovations. If you already sold Abigail the materials for that quest, she has this to say:

Yes, welcome...! Oh, it's you! What would you like today? Ah, you came for the quest! Thank y--Wait, I was going to ask for... something you already... brought me... ...Ah! I'm sorry! I must have forgotten to tell Mister Bartender about it... Ugh... I'm so sorry... B-But since it was thanks to you that we managed to make a new medicine, you can take the reward whenever you want! Eheheh... o-oh, I'm sorry! I was just remembering that the healers at the Hospital are a little strange... I mean, everyone just brightens whenever I talk about you.

And then she goes back into her normal quest dialogue. I also happened to complete the Haute Cuisine quest, where you need to name 50,000+ en from an advertising plan. The Story mode party had this to say about it.

Makes you think, though... Restaurants really make some good money, huh?
Restaurants don't make good money. Regina's cooking makes good money.
Don't think opening a restaurant would be an easy way to get rich.
H-Ha... Haha... M-Me, open a restaurant...? Pff! R-Ridiculous! I wasn't thinking...
Okay, yeah, maybe just a little.
But... perhaps with Sir Flavio's cooking skills, it might be possible for him to succeed in such a field?

He'd get scammed trying to get started.
I-I wouldn't let myself get scammed!
...P-Probably.
Ugh, I can't trust you with that kind of stuff... look, don't go taking any shady loans or anything, alright?
Stop arguing. Let's go report. We have to tell him about how hard Regina worked.
You're right. Cass is probably hanging around waiting to hear back from us, too.

Speaking of cooking, let's get around to doing a bit of that.

Alright, it's done. Now, eat up!
This soup doesn't have meat...
Well, yeah. There wasn't any meat in the ingredients.
But what's this white thing? ...Hm, it doesn't really have any flavor.
Hey guys, bird nests are expensive ingredients here. That's an unworthy opinion, eh?
Huh!? This is THAT expensive!?

No wonder it's so good.
Wh-Whuh!? I-It's good...? I mean, the soup is great, but this white thing not so much...
Calm down. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean the flavor's good. This ingredient is valued for its texture and nourishment... and most of all its rarity. Well, this is from the forest, so the price is probably different from the regular ones.

...I don't get what's the fuss.
Y-Yeah, huh? Huh!? I mean, the soup's great and all, but this white thing isn't THAT good, right?
You're right. This ingredient is valued for its texture and nourishment... and most of all its rarity. Well, this is from the forest, so the price is probably different from the regular ones.

Dialogue merges here.

Nourishment... Is it a medicine? What kind of effect does it have?
Let's see... According to Apicius's recipe… it's good for the throat and skin.
The skin...!?
Wh-What is it? Is something wrong?
Dame Regina, please give me another serving of this soup!
O-Okay... Sure. What happened to her, all of a sudden?
...Just goes to show that she's a girl, too. Do you want my soup, too?
Yes, please!
I don't understand... but if you like it, then you can order it again. I'll prepare it for you anytime.

People who get inflicted with ailments and binds restores 20 Force. However, the effect doesn't stack if it happens multiple times in a turn. Eat something else.

Alright, it's done. Now, eat up!
...Ooh! It's full of meat! Wonderful!
...Mm!?
...Shoot, I forgot to warn you. Hot soup is inside, so be careful when eating it.
...Too late, Regina. My tongue is burning...
It's my fault for not warning you earlier, but you should eat more calmly, you know.

Yeah, let's eat slowly.
See? Knight agrees.

It's meat. We can't help it.
*sigh* Not you, too.

Dialogue merges here.

Hey, let's cut with the chit-chat and eat them before they get cold.
You're right. Let's.
Let's eat!
Yeah, bon appetit. I'll add this item to the menu, so order it again.

Increases the party's resistance to head binds by 80%. Handy.

And back into the Labyrinth.

Could this be like what we found previously...?

If it functions the same as before, then it will only summon a voice, and should be harmless to push. You press the button and the same voice rings out...

Environmental changes... still happening... everything... inevitable extinction... Elite researchers... every nation... human... genome recombinant... I... machine's... body... human weakness... Live... eternally... If... must live... become king... new lands... Genes... human cells... split... immortality... In... this world... live... Telomere... improve...

The voice abruptly ends there and does not respond to any queries.

I couldn't hear most of that. What was it saying?
Genes... cells... machine...? I wonder if they'd know anything about that stuff at the Library.

You cock your heads in wonder at the mysterious phenomenon before returning to your exploration of the castle.

Chloe presumably means the mysterious box that displays the three images of food. You recall that pressing the protrusions beneath these pictures will cause it to dispense nutritious food... If you are hungry for soup, you may try pushing the protrusions again.

Let's try the Dark Chicken Soup this time.

When you press the protrusion and the box makes its deep rumbling noise, a paper container of warm soup emerges. Just as before, the picture changes to display the name of an ingredient, and a slot to insert said ingredient opens up. The image shows a chunk of blackened breast meat, but unfortunately, you are carrying no such ingredient on you. Without ingredients, the soup is a tad simple, but you decide to enjoy the warm, aromatic soup nonetheless.

Aah... Gets me nice and toasty...
Indeed...

Though the flavor was a bit bland and not entirely satisfying, the soup gently warms your bodies, taking away your fatigue!

You finish drinking the soup and return to exploring with lightened hearts.

Hmm, but what if we had that ingredient?

A chunk of blackened breast meat is shown here. Perhaps the Black Breast you carry is called for... If you wish, you may insert the Black Breast in the hole.

You produce the Black Breast and drop it into the hole in the box. The box begins its low growling noise, which it emitted before the soup came out from the slot...

Oooh... The person inside is working hard.

After a short wait, dice cubes of meat come out fully roasted and are dropped into the bowl of soup! The broth turns a deep black, just like the image that was once displayed!

Whoa, this looks... really good! I wasn't too sure about that picture, but this is totally different!
One rarely sees a black soup. What might it taste like?

There is only one way to find out... You each take a sip of the soup! The sweetness of the vegetables that is only attained by stewing them... the juicy, savory taste of the gristle on the meat... What a full, rich flavor... The food you eat in town pales in comparison! As you gulp down the soup, you realize that it has warmed you from within, eliminating all trace of exhaustion!

Thanks, Mr. Box.

Having enjoyed the delicious soup, you return to exploring with a fuller stomach.

There's not much else on this floor, so here's an audio only conversation that plays during the 5th Stratum:

So many things I've never seen. Amazing. Hm.
We better get moving, or Chloe's gonna start making a nest.
Making a nest? You're exaggerating, right?
Wait. No you're not.
Good. You're starting to understand.
Alright, let's forge on. Double time.

It is lying helplessly on the ground, squeaking weakly.

Is that animal sick?
I fear that it will be set upon by monsters if it remains lying in the open this way...

If you wish, you can carefully lift the squirrel to see what's wrong with it.

Oh no, I'm not falling for this again!

I see...

Feeble as it may be, it's unwise to let your guard down around any of this forest's denizens. You give one last glance to the weakly chirping animal before leaving this place.

Uh wow, this event is pretty much inferior to Classic's version. Incidentally, the squirrel sticks around until you take a closer look at it.

So fine, Arianna. We'll have it your way.

You slowly reach towards the feeble-seeming animal, careful not to alarm it. But at that moment...!

Aah!

Belying its feigned weakness, the squirrel quickly jumps to its feet and runs up your arm! It darts directly into your backpack and emerges with something in its mouth!

Th-That little sneak...!

NEVER. TRUST. A. SQUIRREL.

I guess it was playing dead. What a dirty trick to pull... why would it want the thread that bad?
Maybe... it's good to eat?
Uh, I really doubt they're eating it... Still, what a vile little thing. And after we were so worried about it...
True... though I'm relieved to see it wasn't hurt.
Such vulnerability in this dangerous castle would invite certain death.
Sheesh... you never change.
Yeah, seriously. You just keep on being Arianna.
What? E-Er, how do you mean that?

A-And as I asked: how do you mean that!?

The perplexed woman aside, it would be impossible to pursue the squirrel now. You decide to give up on the thread and return to exploring the deadly castle.

That's the last time the squirrel shows up in the game. Unlike the original, it doesn't show up in the 6th Stratum. Mainly because there aren't any events at all in the 6th Stratum.

That's all for this floor. Next time, floor 23.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 35: Juggernaut

And that's all for floor 22.

Your form surpasses that of any ordinary man... But have you no interest in attaining even greater power? In immortality?

The question rings in your ears as if a corporeal presence had spoken it not two feet away.

Have those who have fallen to earth forgotten the terror of the shadow of death? Influential men, mighty kings... All who gained power shared the same dream in their hearts. Immortality. Countless men yearned for it, and each faced death in turn regardless. The Grail of Kings I have obtained is what gives humans the power to overcome death.

What's the Grail of Kings?
I created the Grail of Kings in order for mankind to overcome their limits. I've had great success in using that power to regenerate life which had faded in human subjects. Through continuous research on the panacea long ago known as Elixir, I have succeeded in creating it.
That's some pretty impressive research, I'll grant you. But if you used it... does that mean no one would have to die?
Unfortunately, no... My research has not yet reached that stage. Even with the heightened vitality the Elixir affords, damage to the body cannot be repaired. Further... even in an undamaged body, the brain deteriorates over time. There is no preventing that.
So... it's not finished?
In the world of research, each has their own specialized field. In my desire for power greater than man could achieve... I created the Grail of Kings and gave life beyond man. But that power warped man into a form capable of containing such might. You should know well of whom I speak...
You mean... the Flame Demon and Scylla?
Indeed. I thought them suitable candidates for an infusion of vitality. They surpassed my expectations and became monsters. But you... since her engineering has reinforced your DNA, you should be able to draw out the Grail's full power! Intriguingly, those of you who have not benefited from her work seem powerful enough to accept my blessing as well.
...Was that a compliment?
Probably. That aside, I think it's about time we got to see your face, Mr. Overlord.
I look forward to meeting you in person as well. However... I must first determine your strength.
Our strength...? What do you mean?
I have prepared a challenge for you on this floor. The prime fruits of my research... They are the guardian machines, and the beastly Juggernaut, set to protect my work! Overcome them, and I will admit that you are qualified to meet me.

The voice ends the moment it has finished making its demands of you.

In other words... we're going to meet some ridiculously deadly enemies up ahead.
Basically. The prime fruits of the creator of this castle's research… I'm interested to see what they might be like.
I've got nothing but misgivings about all this, but... I guess there's nothing to do but face the music.

It'll be simple for Guild.
I wish I could share our leader's confidence there.
If this Juggernaut dwells on this floor... we must exercise caution. What sort of monster do you suppose it might be...?

Despite the woman's anxiety, you begin exploring the new floor of the castle to challenge this unknown adversary.

Before we do that, let's go back to town to see what the townspeople have to say.

Haha... well, isn't this strange. Even after climbing the Labyrinth and discovering the castle, you all still haven't changed. Maybe all heroes are like you. When you actually meet them in person, they aren't quite as grand as you imagined. ...Oh, don't look at me like that! I wasn't saying that you children don't look heroic. Bahaha! You're all just so adorable!

This one isn't exclusive to Story, Ragnar just missed this one in his playthrough.

Hmmm, it's not coming out... You might have to give this one a thorough washing. I got most of the mud off, though you should have Hanna wash this for you once you get back. She'll make it squeaky clean! Oh, there's even mud on your face, too... Um, if you don't mind... There! All clean!

Thanks.
Hee hee, it was really nothing! I can't help you when you're off exploring, so it just makes me happy to know that I can be helpful here... in my own little way. Hee hee... I'm looking forward to seeing you again!

You didn't have to do that.
That's not okay. You're Guild's leader! You're the champion of this city now, so you need to take better care of your appearance! I can't help you when you're off exploring, so it just makes me happy to know that I can be helpful here... in my own little way. Hee hee... I'm looking forward to seeing you again!

There's a quest on that becomes available once you reach floor 23, A girl's best friend, that requires you to have a Beast in your party to complete. Unfortunately, the Story mode party does not have access to that class, and they can't even reclass into one. But there is an alternate solution you can take.

Oh, if it isn't the superstar Guild guild. Was there something you wanted from me? Huh? You want an animal costume...? Well, if I had the materials, I could fix that up for you, no problem. But what am I getting out of this...? ...Oh, actually, hey. Maybe you can give me a hand on my newest project? You see, I'm working on some new clothes. But I can't finish them without certain materials... that you only find in the forest. ...Eheh. Get the picture? Just give me a hand with this, and you'll have your animal costume, I swear. What do you think? Not a bad offer, right?

Sure.

That's the Guild I know! Should've known the top-class fighters would be pretty quick on the draw, huh? Here, I'll tell you what I need for the clothes, so listen up. What I need are 3 Blue Carapaces and 2 Plum Hides. Might be kind of hard to track them down... but hey! You're Guild! It'll be no problem for you, right? Eheh. I'll be waiting here, so just bring them over once you get them. Thanks in advance!

:sigh: Oh boy. A fetch quest. Everybody loves those, right? A reminder that the drop rates for those items are pretty low. Plum Hides have a drop rate of 45%, and Blue Carapaces only have a drop rate of 35%. Thankfully the later EO games moved away from those (Except for EOU because most of the weaknesses of the original game had to be kept for some reason.) At least EO2U has a lot less than EOU's. Anyways, I managed to get those eventually.

What's up, Guild? Did you manage to get those materials?
I got them.
R-Really!? You got them for me already? Lemme see here... whoa, that's amazing! It's all here! Ahaha! You're really something, you know that? Honestly, I figured you'd just drop the whole thing! Well, now I owe you something back, right? So, what kind of animal costume were you hoping to get? ...As realistic as possible, huh...? Sure! I'll make it right now, so just stand back and feast your eyes on these skills!

Fade to black.

Eheh, there we go! How is it? Can't tell it apart from the real one, can you? I know, I shouldn't flatter myself, but admit it. It's some pretty nice work, eh? Take it-- the costume I promised you.

If there's anything else you need help with, just ask me. I'll gladly help if you need me. Good luck, Guild!

Oh, yeh guys... Gah, dammit, she's here! Make sure nobody steals nothin'! I gotta run! Stealthy, now, stealthy...
Tch, Cass is out again...? Ah! Guild Guild. How goes the request we made? I certainly hope you haven't forgotten. Time is of the essence. Hmm...? What in the world...? An animal... costume? Yes, it looks quite realistic. Remarkably so. E-Er, stop! Halt! I see the point, yes! It's... it's good enough! That'll do! So stop getting closer! ...Hahh... phew... Do that again, and you will deeply regret it... So, someone of adequate skill must wear this costume while serving as the young lady's bodyguard... Wh-What? Me!? You cannot be serious! And… I tried it before, but I just couldn't... Dammit... anyone will do! Hey, you there! Yes, you! There's work to be done...! A-Anyway, I'll borrow this for a while. Someone should be coming to guide us soon. Let's have one of you put it on immediately. ...Wow. The resemblance is truly uncanny--G-Gah, get away! I already told you, I don't like animals! Tch... even though I know there's a person inside it, it still puts me on edge... Well, I'll contact you when the job is done. Tell Cass to pick this thing up afterward. Immediately. And... not a word about any of this. All you need to tell him is that you've taken the job. I knew I could count… ugh... count on Guild.
...Is she gone? Hah, fantastic! But I honestly didn't expect that. Who'd have thought that animals were her weak point? Now that's news yeh can use... Haw! Ahh, come on now, I won't do anything. Yeh know me. But yeh know, I do get a mite lonely here... Maybe it's time I got a dog for the place. Yeah... a big, shaggy dog. He could take care of burglars, rowdy drunks, unwelcome guests... yeh name it. Right? Haw haw haw! Looks like yeh've turned out pretty useful for me again. Almost makes me want to add a little bonus to yer reward. Only almost, though. Why don't yeh and I have a niiiiice long wait until the work's done with? Catch up, have a drink! Haw haw haw!

Fade to black.

Hey, we're back! Now that was a good time! Haw haw haw! When I went to pick up yer friend, that Marion was tryin' to act all calm, but she was pale and sweatin'. Now that's some good craftsmanship! Whenever yer friend moved, she nearly leapt outta her skin! Haw haw haw haw! Ahh, I haven't had so much fun in a dog's age, and it's all thanks to yeh lot! Awright, buddy! See yeh next time! Haw! Ahh... my stomach hurts from laughin' so much... haw haw haw haw haw!

The rewards are the same. It's just that one method to complete the quest is far less tedious.

There are some questions I would like to ask you. Do you have any time to spare?
Questions from Lagaard's minister...? Better not be anything troublesome.
We were just thinking of keeping a record of your achievements here in Lagaard. We can't quite make everything public yet, of course, but you are the heroes of this city for discovering the floating castle. It is only natural that we keep records of our heroes, is it not? Ho ho, I'm certainly looking forward to writing this one.

And now, time for another inn scene.

Chloe is up next.

It's supposed to help you calm down, so it's perfect to drink at night.

https://gfycat.com/FondUntimelyKawala.webm

It smells nice. I think it's working.
I... actually had a really scary dream. It was about Trand going through those doors again. I always try to stop him, but I never reach him in time. And then Trand's face suddenly changes into yours. ...It really scares me.

I can imagine.
Mm-hm... It was really, really... scary. I got scared it was real, so I came here.
Knight. I don't want you to leave us behind, okay? You can't leave me behind. You're going to be there even when I'm an old lady.

That's a really long time...
It's not long at all. I could last even longer if I wanted.
...... I'm getting kind of... sleepy...

Wake up.
I can't. My eyes are so heavy. They weigh a ton...

That's not your bed.

Hm... I thought she'd be here.

Oh, a nightmare, huh? Man, she never changes... She's been having these since she was little.
*sigh* And of course she brought all her books. Can't she show some consideration for the guy who's gotta carry all this?
But I'm kind of surprised she fell fast asleep here. I always suspected, but it looks like Chloe really trusts you.
...Guess she won't need her old man as much anymore.

You're not her father.
Haha, you got that right. I just felt like saying it.
She's so attached to me that sometimes her folks get upset about it. They say I act more like her parent than they do. You ask me, parents aren't treasures, though. They're more like security blankets.
Well, I'll carry her back. For today, anyway. This is a little weight off my shoulders... Good luck playing the part of security blanket, kid.

Alone again in your room, you have only the silence for company. You decide to rest in preparation for tomorrow.

Let's head back to the Labyrinth.

As you stand stymied by the door, the mysterious voice echoes in your mind...

The door has been locked. Fret not... It is only until the ordeal is done. Slay the Juggernaut and you shall find it unlocked.

With that, the voice subsides again...

So he means to bar our way until we have bested the Juggernaut...
Oh well. We'll just have to get ourselves ready for a fight.

Your only choice is to return the way you came and face the ordeal that the Overlord has lain upon you.

There aren't any encounters in the central part of the floor, but there's a room with a lot of bombs in it.

You cannot help but flinch at its terrible visage, when a voice echoes in your mind...

Behold... the prime fruits of my research. The Juggernaut born from my limitless power!
That's what I thought it might be... That thing looks brutal.
Yes... It's much more vicious-looking than the monsters we commonly face.
Show me what her research has wrought! The power that surpasses human potential! Exert your might to its fullest!

You pause, wondering if you are fully prepared to challenge the Juggernaut to combat. If you are, the time is now... Use all your strength and expertise to stand against it!

Hm. I wonder what happens if I send a bomb right into Juggernaut.

It doesn't seem that hurt. Should we send more at it?
Uh, before we worry about that... Is that thing glaring at us?
Yep... it sure is. It's got murder in its eyes if I ever saw it...

Let's send more bombs at it!
Yeah, let's wear it down with a few more bombs before we fight it.

You decide to plan your next moves to cast more bombs at the Juggernaut.

Bomb number 2!

Uhhh...

It simply crushed the bomb...!
So hitting it from in front won't work. ...That's not fair.

It seems greater consideration must be put into how the bombs strike the Juggernaut...

Okay, so you want to send up to a maximum of 4 bombs into Juggernaut to lower his HP to far more reasonable levels. You probably don't need to do this if you're playing in Classic mode. If you're playing Story, you definitely want to completely solve this puzzle. I'll show you a foolproof way of sending 4 bombs into Juggernaut without taking any damage from them.

Starting from this point, follow these directions:
  • South
  • West
  • South
  • East
  • South 3
  • West 2
  • South
  • West
  • South 2
  • West 2
  • North 2
  • South 7
  • East 3
  • West
  • East
  • West
  • East
  • North

The first bomb should have hit Juggernaut there, and you should be standing on the same tile I'm on. Now for the 2nd bomb:
  • North 4
  • West
  • North 2
  • West
  • East
  • West 2
  • South 2
  • West
  • South
  • North
  • West
  • North 2
  • South 5
  • East
  • West
  • South
  • North
  • South 2
  • West 3

Bomb 2 should have hit its mark, and you should be on the tile I'm on. Here's the 3rd volley:
  • South
  • West 2
  • North 5
  • East 9
  • North 3
  • South 7
  • West 2

And there's bomb 3. If you followed my directions exactly, the last bomb should be a piece of cake to send into him:
  • West 3
And that's it! No more bombs will spawn, and you're free to get a preemptive strike on it. If you somehow sent a 5th bomb toward it, it won't deal anymore damage.

It's faltering. Now?

Let's fight!

Seeing this as your best opportunity, you take your weapon in hand. Your guildmates follow your lead and make ready to charge at the Juggernaut. The time has come to fall upon the weakened beast and claim your victory!

Before I tackle him, let's check out something else on this floor.

It looks like one, but I don't know...
You should try it out, Knight.

You go along with Chloe's suggestion and reach out towards what looks oddly like a Geomagnetic Pole.

Ah! Thank you very much.
What're you thanking it for...? Wait, never mind, forget I asked.
Looks like this isn't a Geomagnetic Pole, but some kind of healing machine.
We should use it if we get tired.
Hm? Weird. It's not doing anything now...
I guess it can't be used all the time. Maybe the way it works is we have to wait a while before we can use it again.
Hmm. In that case, let us return to our journey until it is ready once more.

Now that you have divined the pillar of light's function, you return to the task at hand.

Once per day, you can use this to fully heal your party. You can also save here, which is handy after solving that puzzle to even the odds against Juggernaut.

Here's my party setup. I changed things around so Flavio's in the front row, mainly so he'll get targeted more often. Bertrand's fine in the back, Front Guard doesn't really care what row the user is in. Juggernaut mostly has Bash attacks, so I put Bash Talismans on everyone, which decreases the amount of damage they do by 30%, so it gives them a bit more survivability in case things go wrong.

Here we go!

Juggernaut
Level: 58
HP: 72000
STR: 60
TEC: 45
VIT: 49
AGI: 28
LUC: 51
Skills:
  • Berserk Cry: Uses the head. Increases all party members' and Juggernaut's physical/elemental attack by 100% for 6 turns. Has a 10% speed modifier.
  • Tusk Strike: Uses the head. Deals 115% melee STR-based Stab damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Has a 10% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Brandish: Uses the head. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member, with splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 20% base chance. Has a 10% speed modifier and 90 base accuracy.
  • Eradicate: Uses the legs. Deals 110% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Reduces hit targets' physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 10% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Putrid Breath: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict blind and poison on the party, with a 25% base chance and 60 base poison damage (around 115 adjusted for level). Has a 10% speed modifier.
  • Violent Cry: Uses the head. Used if any party member has any buffs 5 turns after Berserk Cry. Dispels all buffs on the party and deals 30% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to anyone who has buffs dispelled. If Juggernaut uses Violent Cry, he will follow it up on the next turn with King's Rush.
  • King's Rush: Uses the legs. Deals 250% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Attempts to bind all body parts of hit targets, with a 10% base chance. Has a 10% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Reckless Barrier: Uses the head. Used in response to being damaged with Fire/Ice/Volt. Increases Juggernaut's physical/elemental defense by 75% for 6 turns. Has a cooldown of 3 turns or so, where Juggernaut will not recast it if he is damaged with Fire/Ice/Volt again/
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 0% 75% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%

Juggernaut has a lot of HP, more than Classic Mode's final boss even! But don't be put off by that, it's actually a lot less than it seems. So I've been pretty much ragging on most of the boss fights in this game for just being badly designed, and not all that fun. Juggernaut isn't actually one of them. He's actually a really fun fight! (Once you know what to do anyway.) For one thing, he has no summons. It's just your party and him. The other aspect about him is that the fight revolves around a specific gimmick we'll be seeing shortly.

For once, I'm not opening up with Delayed Chase. I'm starting out with Mind Shut to deal with something later. Now I actually don't want it to head bind the thing. It happened one time and utterly derailed everything and forced me to reset.

Just gonna dish out as much damage as I can for now.

And set up an Attack Order with Arianna.

I suppose that's some respectable damage.

Now I'm setting up a Delayed Chase.

A big part of my strategy relies on Blinding Juggernaut. If I can't pull that off, I do have backup plans.

Ahahaha! That was absurdly lucky! Flavio had a 47% chance of pulling that off, but that would have been severely lowered by his 14 LUC disadvantage.

If you think this is good damage, just you wait. :getin:

This is the central gimmick to this fight. Berserk Cry doubles everyone's damage for the duration. Utilizing this buff properly is the key to whittling down Juggernaut's massive HP pool.

With Berserk Cry in effect, it's go time!

Time for pain!

That Blind food is seriously overpowered. The important thing to look at here is that Flavio dodged an attack.

Whoahoho, those are some big numbers!

And this is why I wanted the Mind Shut debuff on Juggernaut. Normally he'd raise his defenses by a ridiculous amount, but since there was a defensive debuff on him, all it ended up doing was nullifying the debuff. It's also why Flavio Blinding the thing on turn 2 was really lucky, I would have had to use Ad Nihilo to get rid of the Berserk Cry buff, which also would have gotten rid of the Mind Shut debuff. But since Juggernaut can't hit our party, there was no reason to do that.

The reason Flavio dodging an attack was so important was because it allows him to use Hazy Arrow, which is the strongest damage skill in the Survivalist's skillset.

Admittedly it's less damage than what Knight and Chloe can dish out, but if you're planning on taking the Story party into the post-game, you don't really have a choice there. Chloe's gonna be too busy operating as a support to even get many opportunities to use Ailing Slash, so Flavio is gonna have to take up the role of secondary damage dealer.

And Juggernaut missing again opens up another opportunity to use Hazy Arrow.

Counting Bertrand's Shield Smite (which didn't do much) that was a total of 9669 damage in one turn! If you lowered Juggernaut's HP all the way down to 43200, that's over 22% of his remaining HP!

Poor guy is just getting slaughtered.

Come to think of it, he hasn't even touched the party once! I almost feel sorry for him.

Unfortunately, the fun has to stop eventually. If your party has any buffs or debuffs on them 5 turns after Juggernaut uses Berserk Cry, he'll use Violent Cry, which dispels every single buff on the party. And then he'll follow up with King's Rush, which is pretty much a party wipe at this point. If you can avoid having Juggernaut trigger Violent Cry (disables don't count for that) he won't cast King's Rush. Use a Unihorn to dispel all your buffs and debuffs when you see the timer on Berserk Cry reach 2. That aspect of the fight really could have been communicated better.

Fun fact, in the original game Colossus (Juggernaut's name in EO2 due to space constraints) got a little ticked off if your party had more than 4 buffs on them at any point, and used Mad Rush, which pretty much operated the same way as King's Rush. In that game it was just a screw you if you brought a Troubadour to the fight. But they reworked that screw you into a pretty enjoyable fight gimmick in the remake. Once you figure out what's going on, anyway.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

:allears: Please do keep targeting Flavio.

...Never mind. He won't be able to do much next turn since Arianna can't outspeed him.

I decided to go for Juggernaut's conditional, purely for kicks. So I activated Chloe's Force Boost there.

There's not much of the fight left. In fact, I'm pretty confident I can take him out next turn.

But I have to get rid of that Reckless Barrier first. I forgot to do so in one attempt, which turned what was supposed to be a surefire victory into a party wipe. :bravo:

Denied!

...Okay, that was lucky. And unnecessary overkill.

I missed the timing on that screenshot, but I did manage to leg bind him through Legcut.

Time to end this.

So long, Jugg!

The word for that is breeze.

That was probably the smoothest Juggernaut fight I've had in Story mode. The party didn't even get touched once.

Amazing...! To think I'd once given up on that research... But now we see the birth of a superhuman through our combined skill!

The Overlord's voice is excited and somewhat manic-sounding.

Now come... to the highest floor of the heavenly castle! I shall await you there!

With that, the voice fades...

I know we have to go further in at some point, but maybe we should go back to town first? To be honest... I'm all spent.
Me too. That was really strong.

None of you got touched at all in that fight.

Tempting as it is to press onward, the concerns of your guildmates do have some merit...

And we're done with the 23rd floor!

Normally I would say it's back to town, but there's no new town dialogue in Story mode that hasn't been seen in Classic mode. But there is an inn scene, so I'll show that off.

Arianna is the last one up.

Haha... I came tonight so that we could share another snack. I prepared cheesecake for the occasion. I bet that you'll never guess who gave me the recipe. Go on, try!

I don't know.
Hahah... It was actually Sir Hrothgar who taught it to me.
As I was discussing what to make with Hanna, Sir Hrothgar stopped by and showed me some things. Apparently, he and Wulfgar are working with the Minister to help new explorers.
Though he did mention that he should like to explore the floating castle for himself one day.

Wonder if he'll join our guild...
If the two of them would join us, our guild would surely become a force to be reckoned with. Though... they seemed unwilling to give up the Beowulf name.
When I walk through the city, I tend to run into those we've crossed paths with before. There are so many people who live in this city, and I have so many powerful memories tied to them...
Would that my life in High Lagaard could go on forever... Tomorrow, the next week, the next year, a century hence... I hope that this city will endure. I... have a strong desire to keep this city safe.

By the way, I absolutely love that guild name you all voted for.

We can, as the Guild guild.
Yes, it's just as you say. The Guild guild will not rest until we have defeated it.

https://gfycat.com/EagerUglyGoa.webm

I do love this city. But... Perhaps that is because it's the place you and I have spent so much time together in. All my precious memories of this place... They were all formed because you were here with me, Sir Knight. That's why I... I wish to always remain at your side...

What do you mean?
Ahahah... I'm sorry, but that must remain my secret. I don't feel worthy of saying anything more explicit. Not yet, at least... Sir Knight, let us end this struggle, so that I may tell you my true feelings. Until then, though... could we remain as we are now...?

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 15, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

My last few runs, I didn't bother removing the buffs. I just leg bound Juggernaut a turn in advance. :black101:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God drat it all to hell. I didn't know you could send bombs into the thing's face. Not even remotely...I was on Normal in that fight, but still, I fought the thing at full health.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
The Juggernaut in the original EO2 was probably my most memorable boss fight. It was down to a sliver of its health, but I was down to just my war magus with about 10 HP left. I managed to get off one of the old status effect cuts before it could finish me off and it was just enough to kill it. As a bonus, since the cuts were non-elemental I got the conditional drop and never had to fight it again. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://gfycat.com/EagerUglyGoa.webm

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbQ0_7dLj30

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I'll admit, I broke out the item drop tea for any of the drop quests.
Having 100% drop rates for all items made them a breeze.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Drop quests were miserable in EO5 until I installed the DLC that gives an accessory that is basically a permanent drop tea that also boosts the holder's LUC.

It's kind of nice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

InwardChaos posted:

I'll admit, I broke out the item drop tea for any of the drop quests.
Having 100% drop rates for all items made them a breeze.

I have no shame in admitting that I abused the item duplication glitch for infinite Formaldehydes in EOU because of the sheer amount of drop quests in it. I'm really glad the later EO games moved away from those for the most part, and I'm really glad EO2U didn't repeat EOU's mistakes such as trying to keep most of the original game's weaknesses for no reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Drop quests were miserable in EO5 until I installed the DLC that gives an accessory that is basically a permanent drop tea that also boosts the holder's LUC.

It's kind of nice.

Really? I never really had any problems with them. The ones that want rare materials from mining/chopping annoy me more, although generally those have scaling rewards for not having the rare ones.

I did have 3 people with the Anatomy skill though.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Clarste posted:

Really? I never really had any problems with them. The ones that want rare materials from mining/chopping annoy me more, although generally those have scaling rewards for not having the rare ones.

I did have 3 people with the Anatomy skill though.

They're miserable because I can't easily remember what quest wants what. At least when it comes to quests that want monster drops I can put that accessory on and usually complete the quest by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, it would actually be kind of neat to get Hrothgar and Wulfgar to join your story party. Unlock a little class variety, at least.

• Locked thread