Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grundulum posted:

There appears to be a very very vocal part of the "progressive/left-leaning" population who believes that Hillary Clinton and the DNC cannot, axiomatically cannot, do anything good.

The DNC platform being the most progressive it's been in the history of the DNC apparently isn't worth poo poo because:

1. There are no mechanics for holding the candidate to the platform the moment they enter office (which means it'll be instantly ignored)
2. All of the stuff that wasn't in the platform, that would have been had Sanders gotten his way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf30UcX8TqI

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Being enthusiastic for Jill Stein is clearly their greatest sin. If they are actually liberals and not libertarians that call themselves liberals, start calling them libertarians; that should annoy them on a very deep level until they can't stand it anymore.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Whatever happened to the Unskewed Polls guy anyway?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Whatever happened to the Unskewed Polls guy anyway?

He gives people sixers whenever he shows up while Trump is having a good day

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Why are there so many assholes everywhere?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

We didn't kill Hitler by trying to minimize radical germanic extremist casualties, now did we?

We didn't kill Hitler at all

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

After 36 hours of insisting Obama and Hillary literally founded ISIS, suddenly it was sarcasm. Is this the pivot we've been waiting for?

:wow:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

pacerhimself posted:

After 36 hours of insisting Obama and Hillary literally founded ISIS, suddenly it was sarcasm. Is this the pivot we've been waiting for?

He's gonna cling to the "just joking" defense to the day he dies whenever he screws up, isn't he?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Geostomp posted:

He's gonna cling to the "just joking" defense to the day he dies whenever he screws up, isn't he?

I like Trump because he's a straight talker who says what means and means what he says.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Luckily it's customary in geopolitical wranglings to give all statements a "cooling off" period of 48-72 hours where the person who said it can say they were just kidding and everybody goes along with it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That's how Presidents do things.

"Release the hostages, now!

Or... just kidding??"

"You need to stop putting your dissidents into an industrial blender!

Maybe just kidding?"

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Grundulum posted:

There appears to be a very very vocal part of the "progressive/left-leaning" population who believes that Hillary Clinton and the DNC cannot, axiomatically cannot, do anything good. Anything that Clinton says is either a lie to earn her votes (if they agree with it), or her true opinion that will be enacted as soon as she is in office (if they disagree). Among my friends list, these people went hard for Sanders and are now equally enthusiastic for Jill loving Stein.

I have a friend who fits this to a T. Really disappointing. He has a propensity to share about 10-15 FB posts a day which can get annoying but now it's even worse because it's all Hillary tinfoil.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/764064821000056832

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What the gently caress is this poo poo, NPR?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

gradenko_2000 posted:

The DNC platform being the most progressive it's been in the history of the DNC apparently isn't worth poo poo because:

1. There are no mechanics for holding the candidate to the platform the moment they enter office (which means it'll be instantly ignored)
2. All of the stuff that wasn't in the platform, that would have been had Sanders gotten his way

over the last 25 years, politicians have voted in accord with their party's platform 82 percent of the time. yes, there is no formal mechanism to guarantee compliance but platforms set the foundations of debate and set voter expectations.

unless you think hillary clinton is a dramatic break from the past, the criticism makes no sense.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My carefully curated list of hardcore insane Bernouts is down to just two people - one who legit loathes Clinton and everything to do with her because ??? who does the whole, "lol that sourced argument you made is lovely, the truth is X and lemme find some stuff to support it" and then never does thing, and the other is one of those people who shares a thousand delusional posts at 4am. Both are hardcore for Stein and neither responded when I asked them their opinion on the fact that our children's heads are being cooked by wifi. Neither responded to my, "the people who are still holding out will never vote for Clinton or a Democrat under and circumstances, so gently caress'em" either. I guess they still feel like they're a relevant bloc despite neither major party wanting anything to do with them

One of my sarcastic, traditionally Democratic friends did respond with this however

Which I enjoyed.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Maybe, just maybe, the truth is in the middle, arghle bargle glargle

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
wtf is he breaking character

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Every one of these quotes needs to be followed by - Posted from my Android or - Posted from my iPhone, so we know which one's are the crazy ones and which ones are the ones trying to not be driven crazy by the other one.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Comstar posted:

Every one of these quotes needs to be followed by - Posted from my Android or - Posted from my iPhone, so we know which one's are the crazy ones and which ones are the ones trying to not be driven crazy by the other one.

In the end, it is the iPhone ones that will be the most lunatic

Anyway I thought Trump banned all Apple products and/or just iPhones from the campaign? Whoever else is in control of that account is playing with fire

Probably eats Oreos while they do it too. Probably feels the most beautiful adrenaline high from fear

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I dunno Donald, Prester Jane figured you out to a tee.

I'd suggest someone send him a copy of her analysis to see how he reacts to someone reading him like a book, but nobody deserves the direct attention of the Donald or his followers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I dunno Donald, Prester Jane figured you out to a tee.

I'd suggest someone send him a copy of her analysis to see how he reacts to someone reading him like a book, but nobody deserves the direct attention of the Donald or his followers.

Maybe the most confusing thing about this election are people who still somehow think Donald Trump willingly reads anything.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

We're a serious news organization with a serious readership! Our readers know we're not biased because we equate banning all Muslims with some emails or something.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

NPR's political stuff is generally loving trash because a bunch of their funding either comes directly from conservative leaning sources or if they skew too hard to the left with the GOP in control of congress they'll be operating out of a shack under a bridge

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

NPR's political stuff is generally loving trash because a bunch of their funding either comes directly from conservative leaning sources or if they skew too hard to the left with the GOP in control of congress they'll be operating out of a shack under a bridge

I don't think it's entirely motivated by funding. I think it's about appealing to liberal readers who smugly don't want to think of themselves as "biased".

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Grundulum posted:

There appears to be a very very vocal part of the "progressive/left-leaning" population who believes that Hillary Clinton and the DNC cannot, axiomatically cannot, do anything good. Anything that Clinton says is either a lie to earn her votes (if they agree with it), or her true opinion that will be enacted as soon as she is in office (if they disagree). Among my friends list, these people went hard for Sanders and are now equally enthusiastic for Jill loving Stein.

Sorry for not letting tribalism blind us to the ills of the Clinton clique, I guess?

That said, my fellow Bernie supporters in my metropolitan area seem to be about ⅓ in favor of toeing the party line, ⅓ in favor of Stein, ⅙ in favor of Johnson, and another ⅙ split between a general protest vote and not voting. I'm in the latter group, myself—Stein's an anti-nuclear, anti-GMO, and anti-vaccine kook whose greatest achievement in life is running for president a half dozen times with nothing to show for it; John's a conservative scumbag with little to no good ideas for the country; and Clinton is the embodiment of the braindead entitlement of our political class that has led the country to the political climate we find ourselves in today. That's only going to get worse once she assumes the presidency.

Nah, I'll indulge my privilege and write-in either myself or, as many a proud Minnesotan before me, 'lizard people'.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Solkanar512 posted:

Epic High Five posted:

There you go. There was a big controversy within the last few years where NPR started going after the GOP a bit more than the GOP liked, and the GOP in congress decided to threaten to pull funding. So if anyone has to do "Truth is in the middle" and the horserace narrative, it's them, and not by choice either.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Economist Jared Bernstein has an analysis of Trump's tax plan up at

http://jaredbernsteinblog.com/some-points-you-may-have-missed-on-trumps-ill-advised-tax-plan/

quote:

He claims to close one loophole but opens up a much bigger one. This, to me, is a big deal that’s easy to miss. I’m talking about the Trump plan for a 15% tax rate on “pass-through” income.

His updated plan sets the top income tax rate at 33% but creates “a much lower rate than 33 percent for a substantial number of very-high-income households by allowing people to pay a new low rate of 15 percent on “pass-through” income (business income claimed on individual tax returns). More than two-thirds of all pass-through business income flows to the top 1 percent of tax filers (see figure).”

This invokes Jared’s first rule of tax avoidance: when you can pay a lower a rate on a particular type of income, lo and behold, it turns out that’s the very type of income you now have gobs of!

Being of sound fiscal personality, I probably wouldn’t go there, but if you’re in the top income bracket, any putz with a tax lawyer will march into their boss’s office and declare that “I’m no longer Joe Paycheck, I’m Joe Paycheck, LLC. Pay me the same salary but call it a consultant’s fee for services provided by my limited partnership.” Joe then passes that income through from the business to the personal side of the tax code and pays 15% on it.

He has some more stuff on the childcare stuff and the estate tax also.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

over the last 25 years, politicians have voted in accord with their party's platform 82 percent of the time. yes, there is no formal mechanism to guarantee compliance but platforms set the foundations of debate and set voter expectations.

unless you think hillary clinton is a dramatic break from the past, the criticism makes no sense.

Where is this statistic curated from, I'd like to cite it

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It doesn't even matter because the President doesn't vote. Executive stuff is what matters. SCOTUS is what matters. Having the veto pen (and having someone who will not veto progressive legislation) is what matters. Have fun explaining this to low-info voters though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nvm, misread.

Scratch that. New comment later.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 12, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Antti posted:

It doesn't even matter because the President doesn't vote. Executive stuff is what matters. SCOTUS is what matters. Having the veto pen (and having someone who will not veto progressive legislation) is what matters. Have fun explaining this to low-info white voters who care more about being "anti-establishment" than people's lives though.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Sorry for not letting tribalism blind us to the ills of the Clinton clique, I guess?

That said, my fellow Bernie supporters in my metropolitan area seem to be about ⅓ in favor of toeing the party line, ⅓ in favor of Stein, ⅙ in favor of Johnson, and another ⅙ split between a general protest vote and not voting. I'm in the latter group, myself—Stein's an anti-nuclear, anti-GMO, and anti-vaccine kook whose greatest achievement in life is running for president a half dozen times with nothing to show for it; John's a conservative scumbag with little to no good ideas for the country; and Clinton is the embodiment of the braindead entitlement of our political class that has led the country to the political climate we find ourselves in today. That's only going to get worse once she assumes the presidency.

I chose my words very carefully. This is not letting party allegiance blind me to differences in policy. I am aware that Clinton doesn't match all of my personal political beliefs. The people I was describing have shown no indication that Clinton matches any of theirs, in spite of claiming the mantle of progressivism.

On a personal note, it's getting incredibly frustrating, because they spam their Facebook wall with more poo poo than I can easily research and rebuff, and it's slowly drawing other friends into their insane tinfoil circle.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You say potato, I say potatoe.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Antti posted:

You say potato, I say potatoe.

Look at these poor, dummy slobs chatting away about some loser food like potatoes. I like people who discuss steak. We need more steak in America, big, beautiful steaks, the best steaks. Michelle Obama's brainwashed, she's brainwashed American children to think about potato! I mean, potato! Can you believe it? It's horrible. We're gonna make American schools great again, steak for every child, the best steak, there's no problem there I guarantee it! Loser Obamas and their potatoes. Losers who hate steak! They hate America!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

Did you read the article? It's an explanation of why Trump's controversies attract so much attention, not a callout of Corrupt Hillary.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AmiYumi posted:

Ugh some "expert" is on NPR comparing Trump's "Obama and Clinton are the Founder and MVP of ISIS" quotes (which they did at least play the direct audio of and fact-check as "no") to claims that Reagan is responsible for Al-Qaeda just because he equipped and supported the mujahadeen. As in, they're both just lies and slander.

EXCEPT ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHER.

Well, they are both lies and slander.

Carter and Brzezinski equipped and supported the Mujahadeen and deserves the credit for bringing down the soviets.

E: this was covered

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

pacerhimself posted:

"my dudes, I was just running for president for the lulz. you seriously think I want that job? You guys are like puppets on a string"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Epic High Five posted:

In the end, it is the iPhone ones that will be the most lunatic

Anyway I thought Trump banned all Apple products and/or just iPhones from the campaign? Whoever else is in control of that account is playing with fire

Probably eats Oreos while they do it too. Probably feels the most beautiful adrenaline high from fear

Don't forget Starbucks!

• Locked thread