Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

users are lying shitheads and will actively ruin your business buying a terrible competing product with a flashy UI when they know that's not what they want

rule 0 of UI design: users lie

the best thing we ever did was install screen recording software on our terminal servers. all the data said the users were lying but its hard to convince dumbass managers that data is real so we'd spend shitloads of time trying to hunt down and fix problems they swore existed but didn't.

then we got the screen recorder and they start freaking out cause we can point to exactly where they lied and did the wrong thing just like the data said they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

jony neuemonic posted:

so uh, what's the correct way to build a .net web app now? i just realized yesterday that you can target .net 4.6 with asp.net core and that it's not limited to .net core.

i hope that's the answer, because asp.net core kinda rules.

short version is if you aren't going to need a lot of 3rd party libs and don't want to use any windows-specific stuff and you're gonna do sprocs and poo poo rather than an ORM

then go hog wild it's pretty ok and you can put it in a container real easy

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

oh, do you still miss out on libraries and specific os features even when you target 4.6 instead of .net core?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah, if you use asp.net core on .net 4.6 you get all those libraries that are in there. 4.6 is still windows only.

regardless of if you use .net 4.6 or .net core, asp.net core has a few things here and there that aren't done yet on the asp.net side. like signalr support is more recent (tho u could hack it in before) and there are other aspnet things from asp.net 4.6 that haven't been ported yet, I cant think of them off the top of my head tho.

then there are some 3rd party libs that are still being ported. ex: identityserver 4 is still a work in progress. if you're doing regular mvc/webapi stuff then ur probably fine to use it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'd like to spend some time with asp.net at some point but i don't web dev. at least i still get to write c#

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Luigi Thirty posted:

huh. i found the old 486SLC 25MHz laptop that my cousin gave me when he graduated college. i tried to run POLYGON.EXE on it and it just crashes. could be because i'm running it on a 486 with no FPU, it has 3MB of RAM, or something else! oh well

you're not compiling it with 586 instructions are you?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sweevo posted:

you're not compiling it with 586 instructions are you?

ah. that's probably it. i'll need to figure out how to set watcom to 486 with floating point emulation and not pentium pro

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

triple sulk posted:

i'd like to spend some time with asp.net at some point but i don't web dev. at least i still get to write c#
webapi is so good, its laughably easy to create web services in it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

thanks shaggar and uncurable mlady, i'm going to give it a shot. :toot:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

St Evan Echoes posted:

suave + f# story

last week I wanted to show off a bit, so I showed my boss a simple REST webservice with several endpoints I had written to query customer data and fidelity information (we'll need to build something like that in the near future, i won't be the one to do it but want to save my colleagues some pain if possible)

then I gave him the full source code for it

on a single sheet of A4 paper

printed in landscape mode

32 lines including boilerplate

he made a memorable face and asked if I was joking

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

well some fuzzy business logic may have led to our """"""independent"""""" contractors getting overpayed. patching this is gonna make me sad.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

so true. the whole reason theyre forcing this on me is that we lost a couple sales to trizetto and the feedback was basically "wow, your system is much more functional than theirs, but its just so ugly". people literally dont give a poo poo what your software does or how good it is if it doesnt look like a spaceships bleached butthole.

get some bleach on their t shirts

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

maaan is there a case where Linux syscalls to connect(3) for TCP are allowed to return eaddrinuse when the {LocalIP:Port, RemoteIP:Port} tuples still have free entries or some poo poo?! Can't make sense of some errors I'm seeing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

CTO has ruled all employees and contractors at all locations must report to the office 5 days a week.... it's already a loving poo poo show finding parking with people working from home whenever they want

best part is his reasoning because we're transitioning to agile.... loving lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
oh yay, the part of the software where my project is going is still vb6 and apparently i was told to do the card ui by someone who didnt know that. we dont have any native tools for that outside our .net stuff.

except hes an important guy so he said "figure out how to do it anyway". talking to people from the team he used to be in charge of, it sounds like the only way to accomplish this (he makes this order a lot) is to use our embeddable browser control as the entire screen and then just write a bunch of html as string literals in vb6. kill me. at least some guy wrote a library to generate the common poo poo, so ill only need to write raw html for some of the finer details. but still, jesus christ.

to reiterate, i am literally going to embed an ie10/11 window into a vb6 control, and then use that to show html to the end user. inside of a program that is built out of 100% vb6 assets so its gonna clash like all hell. sometimes i wish i worked on our clinical poo poo. the risk of killing someone is higher, but the tools are better and you get to use .net. nobody gives a poo poo about the poor ladies in the claims office except for me (even though i actively hate their employers because i am a filthy communist).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
have you guys ever heard of windows' git's bash falling into infinite loops whenever autocomplete or the error ding is invoked?

im trying to use docker on my work laptop but this terminal emulation thing is the most confusing and fuucked up poo poo i've ever seen

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
if spring is lol, what are you supposed to use to make a web in java?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

oh yay, the part of the software where my project is going is still vb6 and apparently i was told to do the card ui by someone who didnt know that. we dont have any native tools for that outside our .net stuff.

except hes an important guy so he said "figure out how to do it anyway". talking to people from the team he used to be in charge of, it sounds like the only way to accomplish this (he makes this order a lot) is to use our embeddable browser control as the entire screen and then just write a bunch of html as string literals in vb6. kill me. at least some guy wrote a library to generate the common poo poo, so ill only need to write raw html for some of the finer details. but still, jesus christ.

to reiterate, i am literally going to embed an ie10/11 window into a vb6 control, and then use that to show html to the end user. inside of a program that is built out of 100% vb6 assets so its gonna clash like all hell. sometimes i wish i worked on our clinical poo poo. the risk of killing someone is higher, but the tools are better and you get to use .net. nobody gives a poo poo about the poor ladies in the claims office except for me (even though i actively hate their employers because i am a filthy communist).

can anyone at his level explain to him why that is poo poo?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Corla Plankun posted:

have you guys ever heard of windows' git's bash falling into infinite loops whenever autocomplete or the error ding is invoked?

im trying to use docker on my work laptop but this terminal emulation thing is the most confusing and fuucked up poo poo i've ever seen

I remember having some issue like that

I "solved" it by just using cygwin git instead :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

stop using git bash and docker. they are all bad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wheany posted:

if spring is lol, what are you supposed to use to make a web in java?

All the ootb solutions in Java kinda suck honestly.

Guice gives you nice dependency injection and it has some basic integrations with JPA and Servlets, I guess you could maybe do something with that. I usually end up writing my own bidirectional URL mapping thing on top of it though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KidDynamite posted:

can anyone at his level explain to him why that is poo poo?

nope. leadership doesnt program much (despite all being upjumped programmers) and they are 100% about chasing trends and buzzwords these days. everybody is being told to do poo poo like this when they make new controls for vb6 portions of the system.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mr Dog posted:

All the ootb solutions in Java kinda suck honestly.

Guice gives you nice dependency injection and it has some basic integrations with JPA and Servlets, I guess you could maybe do something with that. I usually end up writing my own bidirectional URL mapping thing on top of it though.

if the alternatives are "uhh...", i think i'll just stick with spring then.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
spring was the epitome of everything bad about java last time I used it. like, bad enough that id need to see unanimous praise for it from everyone itt before I'd be willing to try it again.

if spring is really the best answer then that's a pretty serious shortcoming imo.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 12, 2016

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

dropwizard is cool but may or may not be appropriate for what you're doing, it's pretty minimal.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's stuff like Play or Dropwizard but it feels like those packages want you to write Python in Java.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

iirc using play from java is really obnoxious, but i only tried it briefly. it seemed very much designed around scala.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I don't like dropwizard's config handling one bit

Brb gonna define every setting in code, then again in a yaml template

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Has anyone used UPX on their builds? Got some statically linked code that it'd be a good fit for

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

spring was the epitome of everything bad about java last time I used it. like, bad enough that id need to see unanimous praise for it from everyone itt before I'd be willing to try it again.

if spring is really the best answer then that's a pretty serious shortcoming imo.

i will post this every time spring is mentioned
http://java.metagno.me/

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Looked like the worst case is someone using antivirus from 2009 could get a false positive or smth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i hate the days after technical interviews where you second guess things you said like calling vector<bool> "a microcosm of everything wrong with c++"

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

someone obviously never tried to use Struts~

Struts was the old "standard" and trying to use it is comparable to trying to reassemble a clutch while simultaneously sawing your own arm off
compared to that Spring is loving fairy magic

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

There's stuff like Play or Dropwizard but it feels like those packages want you to write Python in Java.

any time you need a 'lightweight' java thing you should just use go

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

i hate the days after technical interviews where you second guess things you said like calling vector<bool> "a microcosm of everything wrong with c++"

wait in what way? like how it's implemented as a bitmap underneath?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

wait in what way? like how it's implemented as a bitmap underneath?

and because of that "optimization" breaks everything

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HoboMan posted:

Spring is loving fairy magic
that is the problem

i will post this every time spring is mentioned
http://java.metagno.me/
we have a dev here who i really really like as a person but he's a bad dev and one of the reasons is that all of his names look like spring names except that he also does a thing where it seems like he is running all of his words through a weird thesaurus (he's not, he's a great nice guy, i think he's got a brain thing with words).

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also spring names but sometimes he'll use a random Spanish word instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

and because of that "optimization" breaks everything

idk the only time I used it was when I wanted a dynamically sized bitmap