Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They're loving bad, dude. People around here talk about Whedon's Avengers movies with a lot of antipathy, but for me that's the Thor movies. The second one in particular is painful in how tedious and by-the-numbers it makes everything.

At least Thor 2 was the forgettable kind of bad, unlike Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Forgettable bad is actually way worse than exceptionally bad.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

Yuuuuuuup. Any movie that makes people feel something strongly, even if it's hatred, is worth something IMO.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked both Thors more than Beavis.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yuuuuuuup. Any movie that makes people feel something strongly, even if it's hatred, is worth something IMO.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just felt like pointing this out.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I liked What We Do In The Shadows well enough but I think I would've rly loved it if it committed more to it's genuinely scary/unsettling moments, the way it makes sure ur comfortable & know everything'll be alright is to the detriment of the humor & the horror. Not exactly an area I expect a studio movie/a Marvel movie to improve on, but heck, it'll still probably be fun.

RBA Starblade posted:

That's very shocking that you had a bad opinion involving Superhero movies

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I liked What We Do In The Shadows well enough but I think I would've rly loved it if it committed more to it's genuinely scary/unsettling moments, the way it makes sure ur comfortable & know everything'll be alright is to the detriment of the humor & the horror.
Nah, that's actually a super New Zealand attitude to take to things in general.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

Nah, that's actually a super New Zealand attitude to take to things in general.

Okay....it's still to the detriment of the humor & the horror

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Heavy Metal posted:

Also the Rurouni Kenshin live-action trilogy from a couple years ago.

I really liked the first one, but felt the last two tried to cover too much story at once, and ended up having to cut or abridge a whole bunch of the most interesting characters, stories, and scenes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean yeah, they're bad but not THAT bad. Hiddleston and Hemsworth are at least game even if the scripts and direction let them down completely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

I liked What We Do In The Shadows well enough but I think I would've rly loved it if it committed more to it's genuinely scary/unsettling moments, the way it makes sure ur comfortable & know everything'll be alright is to the detriment of the humor & the horror. Not exactly an area I expect a studio movie/a Marvel movie to improve on, but heck, it'll still probably be fun.

Yeah, same, there's a couple moments that are genuinely creepy and the laffs would punctuate them better if they were played up a bit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hodgepodge posted:

I just felt like pointing this out.

I didn't feel particularly strongly about Beavis though, just that it was kind of crap, especially after MoS.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

NTRabbit posted:

I really liked the first one, but felt the last two tried to cover too much story at once, and ended up having to cut or abridge a whole bunch of the most interesting characters, stories, and scenes.

I really enjoyed them, but needless to say you can't beat the anime/manga, especially for that Kyoto arc. I think they work on their own, I could see people who aren't even already Kenshin fans enjoying the movies.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Heavy Metal posted:

I really enjoyed them, but needless to say you can't beat the anime/manga, especially for that Kyoto arc. I think they work on their own, I could see people who aren't even already Kenshin fans enjoying the movies.

I barely remember anything about Kenshin other than the amazing prequel OVA, which was also the first thing I watched.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hodgepodge posted:

I barely remember anything about Kenshin other than the amazing prequel OVA, which was also the first thing I watched.

Maybe you'd dig a well done movie trilogy live-action romp through Kenshin memory lane! In some ways they're the closest thing to a big budget superhero movie series Japan has had these days.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe you'd dig a well done movie trilogy live-action romp through Kenshin memory lane! In some ways they're the closest thing to a big budget superhero movie series Japan has had these days.

I probably would! Although being ground zero for animes might make actual superhero films almost redundant as well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Hulk Gladiator gear looks cool.

Wait, there are actually pictures of this now? Or is it one of those unreleased Comic Con things that people have seen but hasn't leaked yet? Can't see any real pictures on a quick GIS at least.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean yeah, they're bad but not THAT bad. Hiddleston and Hemsworth are at least game even if the scripts and direction let them down completely.

Wait, you didn't like Batman v. Superman?!?!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tsob posted:

Can't see any real pictures on a quick GIS at least.

Try 'thor ragnarok hulk gladiator armor'

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

tsob posted:

Wait, there are actually pictures of this now? Or is it one of those unreleased Comic Con things that people have seen but hasn't leaked yet? Can't see any real pictures on a quick GIS at least.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tsob posted:

Bit of both. SDCC teaser showed some early footage of Gladiator Hulk and the armor's been revealed as well.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Hollismason posted:

I enjoyed both Thor films so maybe I am the weird one, but them having Bruce Banner in the new film has me totally stoked because I loooooove Mark Ruffalo.

I enjoyed them both, too. :hfive:

Thor 1 was fun, even if the second was a bit forgettable. I think I just enjoyed the "fun with wormholes" thing that was going on in 2, and the mid-credit scene with the Collector.

When I'm not overly invested in a character as a fan who read the comics, it's a lot easier to relax and just enjoy the film for what it is. Which is exactly where Thor falls. But Ragnarok looks like it's going to be loving great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That should be Ares' gear.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

Wait, you didn't like Batman v. Superman?!?!

no, should I have?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/764152697784336385

So I take it Bruce will show up with a banjo and that's how he'll recruit Aquaman? Not what I expected but still very interesting indeed!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue2QAD9gHVI&t=26s

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Who's the perfect power metal band to score Aquaman?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Blind Guardian, of course. Or Alestorm.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Oh, Alestorm, the memories of debauched college drinking you conjure.

Speaking of which, also the best band to start playing when the party's over and you want everyone except your closest friends to get the gently caress out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWViNX-KcfY

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

K. Waste posted:

Who's the perfect power metal band to score Aquaman?

Ahab

Although technically, it's funeral doom metal. You know.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

Yeaaah. I liked Thor 2 a lot when I saw it, and then I tried to remember literally anything about it other than the Predator-esq Space Elf ship designs and that neat practical monster and I couldn't. It isn't good at all.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/764152697784336385

So I take it Bruce will show up with a banjo and that's how he'll recruit Aquaman? Not what I expected but still very interesting indeed!

Thats a badass aquaman costume but loving yeesh I am sick of DCs 10% color saturation costumes. I was pretty surprised when flash showed up in suicide friends and you could actually tell he is red.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The high contrast lighting and low-value color scheme are what make the costume look awesome, emphasizing texture. Aquaman has a Lemmy Kilmister, "Please Don't Touch" vibe to him. You just got to love how, continuing the thread of the Adam West series and Schumacher films' barely closeted homoeroticism, Snyder's male gaze just spurges out. Clark's quest to 'out' the Batman's ineffectual and racist war on crime is literally juxtaposed with two men kissing. It's like the film all but overtly correlates Clark's clinging to Lois, this hyper-heterosexual relationship where she stands as the phallic equivalent of ALL ELSE, with a fear of 'loving men,' i.e. all of mankind. Snyder's just managed to find a way to depict this which isn't flamboyant or 'jokey.' Like, his movies are full of goofy poo poo, but this 'queer-ness' is not presented as 'queer' in and of itself.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

K. Waste posted:

The high contrast lighting and low-value color scheme are what make the costume look awesome, emphasizing texture. Aquaman has a Lemmy Kilmister, "Please Don't Touch" vibe to him. You just got to love how, continuing the thread of the Adam West series and Schumacher films' barely closeted homoeroticism, Snyder's male gaze just spurges out. Clark's quest to 'out' the Batman's ineffectual and racist war on crime is literally juxtaposed with two men kissing. It's like the film all but overtly correlates Clark's clinging to Lois, this hyper-heterosexual relationship where she stands as the phallic equivalent of ALL ELSE, with a fear of 'loving men,' i.e. all of mankind. Snyder's just managed to find a way to depict this which isn't flamboyant or 'jokey.' Like, his movies are full of goofy poo poo, but this 'queer-ness' is not presented as 'queer' in and of itself.

So... Male Gayze?

:rimshot:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Equeen posted:

So... Male Gayze?

It's critical to point out at this juncture that the film's only sex scene ends with a steamy shot of Clark's glasses hitting the tiled floor. The film doesn't just fetishize the male looking - it fetishizes the idea of being looked at by this male icon. The joke is constantly that Clark is simply too much man for mankind.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Equeen posted:

So... Male Gayze?

Sounds like a pretty good hair metal band.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, same, there's a couple moments that are genuinely creepy and the laffs would punctuate them better if they were played up a bit.

Played out comparison but it's very UK The Office vs US The Office

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Yeaaah. I liked Thor 2 a lot when I saw it, and then I tried to remember literally anything about it other than the Predator-esq Space Elf ship designs and that neat practical monster and I couldn't. It isn't good at all.

Yeah K. Waste is right in that, even though I think BvS is worse, it at least actively repulsed me as opposed to Thor 2 which was just a film length mild annoyance. You can discuss Batman v Superman even if it's just in a "what the gently caress" way, there's nothing to talk about with Thor 2.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The funeral scene in Thor 2 was very pretty and good, but otherwise yeah that movie is so incredibly forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

The funeral scene in Thor 2 was very pretty and good, but otherwise yeah that movie is so incredibly forgettable.

I don't even remember that. The only bits I remember liking were the bit where Loki reveals his prison cell to be an illusion and the final fight scene being mildly clever. The rest just annoyed me, the action throughout was so bad and the production design was so lazy.

Thor 1 at least had some great design with the Asgard stuff and a few remarkably funny fish-out-of-water comedy, but it's still kind of a trash pile overall.

• Locked thread