Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

The Dot Hack one.

doesn't exist anymore outside of wholesalegaming.biz

which, if you ever want to visit a fuckin museum of dead games? that website has them. its rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Literally The Worst posted:

doesn't exist anymore outside of wholesalegaming.biz

which, if you ever want to visit a fuckin museum of dead games? that website has them. its rad

Also the dot hack one was actually pretty good I just wanted to namecheck it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

yugioh because its the worst card game with the worst players

luck and logic, a game made by bushiroad, a company that makes anime tcgs and anime and also owns New Japan Pro Wrestling and got one of their top dudes to be a character in an anime about one of their TCGs, which features anime boob girls heavily, is a way better game with a super great combat system

I think I'll pass and just keep to crpg games

That's slightly less weird and stigmatizing than openly keeping any anime titties paraphernalia

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I think I'll pass and just keep to crpg games

That's slightly less weird and stigmatizing than openly keeping any anime titties paraphernalia

or you could play magic, which is still probably the best tcg in existence and the one with the least stigma attached to it

Lady Naga posted:

Also the dot hack one was actually pretty good I just wanted to namecheck it.

yeah that's fair, i usually go with magi nation or l5r depending on how nerdy i think the person i'm talking to is

l5r is coming back next year though without randomization, get hype

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

or you could play magic, which is still probably the best tcg in existence and the one with the least stigma attached to it

I may, depending on how good Bloomington IN is to me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
or you could see if there's a Living Card Game community in your area and play those, because there's no randomization or secondary market

you buy a core set. it is identical to every other core set.

you buy an expansion/booster. it is identical to every other booster/expansion with the same name as it.

it kinda rules

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

or you could see if there's a Living Card Game community in your area and play those, because there's no randomization or secondary market

you buy a core set. it is identical to every other core set.

you buy an expansion/booster. it is identical to every other booster/expansion with the same name as it.

it kinda rules

It's a fairly small college town so I'll look into it!

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

yeah that's fair, i usually go with magi nation or l5r depending on how nerdy i think the person i'm talking to is

l5r is coming back next year though without randomization, get hype

Or you could play Dominion, which, is structured like a proper loving game rather than extended nerdbait, so winning is based on skill rather than willingness to spend money in the secondary market (Dominion has no secondary market; everybody buys the same standardized box sets), and it's actually popular with people who like tabletop games in general, as opposed to the hypernerd subset that congregates around MTG. Dominion arguably did for card games what Settlers of Catan did for board games: make them actually fun and start/ride a huge wave of popularity for mainstream tabletop games.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Curvature of Earth posted:

Or you could play Dominion, which, is structured like a proper loving game rather than extended nerdbait, so winning is based on skill rather than willingness to spend money in the secondary market (Dominion has no secondary market; everybody buys the same standardized box sets), and it's actually popular with people who like tabletop games in general, as opposed to the hypernerd subset that congregates around MTG. Dominion arguably did for card games what Settlers of Catan did for board games: make them actually fun and start/ride a huge wave of popularity for mainstream tabletop games.

they're entirely different types of card games you dingbat, also no it absolutely did not do for card games what catan did for board games

comparing magic with a deckbuilding game so that you can scoff at something with an entirely different model as being inferior is the height of nerd snobbery, gently caress off with it

edit lmao actually readin this you just have a huge hateboner for magic which is fine but it is legitimately the best TCG on the market and has been for a long time, p much the only one i've played that i liked more was the World of Warcraft one because i fuckin LOVED its resource system, and you busting in to go WELL ACTUALLY YOU COULD PLAY SOMETHING ENTIRELY DIFFERENT is just kinda silly

double edit extra lmao at the idea that magic is no skill and all money

BENGHAZI 2 has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Aug 12, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
and you picked basically the worst deckbuilding game to do it with and the one that has a bazillion 40 dollar expansions

the correct deckbuilding suggestion was Star Realms because it's like 80 bucks for everything that's out right now and its actually a better game

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

and you picked basically the worst deckbuilding game to do it with and the one that has a bazillion 40 dollar expansions

I was with you up until this, but Dominion is still the best deckbuilder out (mostly because all the other ones after it were really bad.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Asymmetrikon posted:

I was with you up until this, but Dominion is still the best deckbuilder out (mostly because all the other ones after it were really bad.)

star realms motherfucker

fifteen bucks for a two player game about buying spaceships and shooting people with spaceships, the absolute purest form of deckbuilding with no cruft

another like 50 for all the expansions that are currently out including another one that's the size of the base game, costs fifteen bucks, and adds a shitload of new cards plus enough basics for two more players

when hero realms comes out that'll probably be a close race because i love star realms, and i love the idea of a deckbuilding game with a campaign mode like Pathfinder ACG

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

star realms motherfucker

fifteen bucks for a two player game about buying spaceships and shooting people with spaceships, the absolute purest form of deckbuilding with no cruft

another like 50 for all the expansions that are currently out including another one that's the size of the base game, costs fifteen bucks, and adds a shitload of new cards plus enough basics for two more players

when hero realms comes out that'll probably be a close race because i love star realms, and i love the idea of a deckbuilding game with a campaign mode like Pathfinder ACG

Is #CommonCore the ultimate idiocracy or complete anti-white sabotage?

A good friend of mine recently has become embedded in his state’s common core debate and, as a result, I’ve been been proxy to some of the chain emails among his friends. I’ve always thought common core a bad idea for various reasons but it’s never been something I’ve really looked into. Some states have recently dumped common core, as it has been attacked both by traditionalists and even some inner city districts. But as the ship is going done, it seems to become more and more radicalized. Based on the info I’ve received recently from a couple friends, one of whom is a professor of mathematics, here are some interesting facts I’ve discovered about Common Core.

– Common Core was originally packaged as standardized testing on reading and math, which was supposed not to involve content, but that quickly changed. The original intent, it seems, all along was to modify content.

– Common Core has radically change the way mathematics is taught — basically the general trend from Newton / Leibniz to the present has been overturned. Most of the symbols, notations, descriptions, vocabulary, etc., have been discarded and are replaced by more “visual” approaches, often involving silly video-game-like graphics. A math professor I know said students who have learned math by this approach aren’t even able to comprehend traditional math because it seems like a foreign language to them. Apparently the unspoken rationale behind this approach is that blacks and mestizos cannot learn traditional math and Common Core is more “POC friendly,” although it seems to have made little difference in test scores. Nonetheless, at least trying to advance blacks is a worthy cause to discard two thousand years of accumulated mathematical wisdom.

– Common Core has dumped the study of grammar altogether. Literally, no grammar. Grammar has been replaced by “feel good” unstructured expository writing and basic new-speak guidelines. There are students now who have no idea what an adjective or relative clause is. Students who learn English this way would never be able to learn an inflected grammar-heavy language, like Latin or German, but maybe that’s the point. Rationale? Apparently the Schools of “Education” think grammar is racist because blacks and mestizos cannot fully comprehend it. Modern (as in post-Middle) English grammar must be discarded to make way for some new Third World hybrid language (Dindu-Spanglish?).

– Although Common Core was originally sold as “content free,” it quickly scrapped nearly all the European and other white writers from reading lists. Vergil’ Aeneid, Beowulf, Goethe’s writings, and Shakespeare’s plays have made way for bunch of non-white writers complaining about something — usually white people for their shortcomings. Star Realms is garbage and you should be playing Dominion instead. Defenders of Common Core say it prescribes no particular books. It’s about “how to read,” not what to read. It just so happens in learning “how to read” one shouldn’t read white people.

If these descriptions are true, and I really have no reason to believe they are not, as I’ve seen many of the source materials, what in the hell is going on here? Is it complete idiocracy or a deliberate ((( attempt ))) to sabotage learning and the accumulated knowledge of the past 2000 years? Both?

If you know kids in a public school, tell them to GTFO. The bitch is run by Upgrayedd now.

tl;dr

Problem: If you try to teach children reading, writing, and arithmetic, People of Color will underperform. Thus teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic has disparate impact.

Solution: Yo Stop teaching dem dat racist whitey sheeit what ‘chew thinkin’ man?

A child who has been educated with common core is a child who cannot do maths, cannot spell correctly, nor write grammatically. He is cut off from the past two thousand years of civilization.

Gabba gabba weebeejabba.
Yo shizzle shizzle think I gotta pizzle!

No need to teach the three R’s any more, we teach the three S’s: sex, self-esteem, and social justice!

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

A good friend of mine recently has become embedded in his state’s common core debate and, as a result, I’ve been been proxy to some of the chain emails among his friends. I’ve always thought common core a bad idea for various reasons but it’s never been something I’ve really looked into. Some states have recently dumped common core, as it has been attacked both by traditionalists and even some inner city districts. But as the ship is going done, it seems to become more and more radicalized. Based on the info I’ve received recently from a couple friends, one of whom is a professor of mathematics, here are some interesting facts I’ve discovered about Common Core.

– Common Core was originally packaged as standardized testing on reading and math, which was supposed not to involve content, but that quickly changed. The original intent, it seems, all along was to modify content.

– Common Core has radically change the way mathematics is taught — basically the general trend from Newton / Leibniz to the present has been overturned. Most of the symbols, notations, descriptions, vocabulary, etc., have been discarded and are replaced by more “visual” approaches, often involving silly video-game-like graphics. A math professor I know said students who have learned math by this approach aren’t even able to comprehend traditional math because it seems like a foreign language to them. Apparently the unspoken rationale behind this approach is that blacks and mestizos cannot learn traditional math and Common Core is more “POC friendly,” although it seems to have made little difference in test scores. Nonetheless, at least trying to advance blacks is a worthy cause to discard two thousand years of accumulated mathematical wisdom.

– Common Core has dumped the study of grammar altogether. Literally, no grammar. Grammar has been replaced by “feel good” unstructured expository writing and basic new-speak guidelines. There are students now who have no idea what an adjective or relative clause is. Students who learn English this way would never be able to learn an inflected grammar-heavy language, like Latin or German, but maybe that’s the point. Rationale? Apparently the Schools of “Education” think grammar is racist because blacks and mestizos cannot fully comprehend it. Modern (as in post-Middle) English grammar must be discarded to make way for some new Third World hybrid language (Dindu-Spanglish?).

– Although Common Core was originally sold as “content free,” it quickly scrapped nearly all the European and other white writers from reading lists. Vergil’ Aeneid, Beowulf, Goethe’s writings, and Shakespeare’s plays have made way for bunch of non-white writers complaining about something — usually white people for their shortcomings. Star Realms is garbage and you should be playing Dominion instead. Defenders of Common Core say it prescribes no particular books. It’s about “how to read,” not what to read. It just so happens in learning “how to read” one shouldn’t read white people.

If these descriptions are true, and I really have no reason to believe they are not, as I’ve seen many of the source materials, what in the hell is going on here? Is it complete idiocracy or a deliberate ((( attempt ))) to sabotage learning and the accumulated knowledge of the past 2000 years? Both?

If you know kids in a public school, tell them to GTFO. The bitch is run by Upgrayedd now.

tl;dr

Problem: If you try to teach children reading, writing, and arithmetic, People of Color will underperform. Thus teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic has disparate impact.

Solution: Yo Stop teaching dem dat racist whitey sheeit what ‘chew thinkin’ man?

A child who has been educated with common core is a child who cannot do maths, cannot spell correctly, nor write grammatically. He is cut off from the past two thousand years of civilization.

Gabba gabba weebeejabba.

No need to teach the three R’s any more, we teach the three S’s: sex, self-esteem, and social justice!

I hate/love you

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Sorry to poo poo up the pay-to-win card games thread, but I just split out a RationalWiki article on the alt-right from the more general neoreaction one. It looks split-off too, and needs some work. In particular, historical: just when did memelord neo-nazis start tagging themselves "alt-right", etc.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

divabot posted:

Sorry to poo poo up the pay-to-win card games thread

I swear to god I'm gonna hit start hitting people with rocks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite card game is about four different kingdoms' royal aristocracy dominating the lower class and being the only people with actual faces, the rest of society is just assigned numbers.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Divabot I like you and all but you're married to a weird fandom person you have no right to judge other people for their hobbies.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I may, depending on how good Bloomington IN is to me

Bloomington has two game stores that do FNM so you are in good shape.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

Divabot I like you and all but you're married to a weird fandom person you have no right to judge other people for their hobbies.

Also anyone who thinks Magic is pay to win hasn't watched someone buy a competitive deck and then get fuckin clowned on because they don't know what they're doing

Also they haven't ever heard of casual play which makes up some absurd percentage of their player base

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Also they haven't ever heard of casual play which makes up some absurd percentage of their player base

Or something like Pauper.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Or sealed formats (my personal favourite)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

tl;dr

Gabba gabba weebeejabba.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

I'm gonna show this to my paleontologist friend and watch him pop a loving blood vessel.

I am far from an expert in these things but my guess is we're lucky we have as many varieties as 250,000 after millions and millions of years.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
you guys

you guys

i've got it

right

how about

pay-to-win

dark enlightenment cards

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Electric Lady posted:

I'm gonna show this to my paleontologist friend and watch him pop a loving blood vessel.

I am far from an expert in these things but my guess is we're lucky we have as many varieties as 250,000 after millions and millions of years.

Even after all these years I have no idea what that cartoon is even claiming about fossils. I guess a finite number of species preserved by relatively rare geologic processes means creationism happened.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

Even after all these years I have no idea what that cartoon is even claiming about fossils. I guess a finite number of species preserved by relatively rare geologic processes means creationism happened.

I know we're not on the young earth thing here exactly but I just think about the Ken Han vs Bill Nye debate and how Ken thinks that carbon dating is just made up and that humans lived with dinosaurs and ugh.

If I remember right one of Bill's retorts to him was "There are trees older than you think the planet is."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like to imagine the cartoonist read the "glasses on a table" argument about perceived gaps in the fossil record and was like "hmm. How can I make an object-based analogy to dispute this, except with literally the dorkiest object possible?" It could only be more cringeworthy if the dude had used, I dunno, MLP-based sex toys.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Antivehicular posted:

I like to imagine the cartoonist read the "glasses on a table" argument about perceived gaps in the fossil record and was like "hmm. How can I make an object-based analogy to dispute this, except with literally the dorkiest object possible?" It could only be more cringeworthy if the dude had used, I dunno, MLP-based sex toys.

It's kinda tripping my satire alarm for that very reason

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nope.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

You've not seen the rest of the dude's comics, then.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

You've not seen the rest of the dude's comics, then.

Poe's law I suppose

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Comic's like seven years old at this point.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Antivehicular posted:

I'm actually not familiar with the "glasses on a table" argument. What's the gist of it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They used to say that about Reagan too :smug:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lady Naga posted:

Comic's like seven years old at this point.

I meant I believe it, it's just absurd

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Odd, I generally play as female characters with gender-ambiguous usernames and I've gotten plenty of weird nerds bein' weird at me.

Seems like there's a psychology graduate thesis to be had analyzing the specific aspects of usernames or behavior or whatever it is that makes creepers gonna creep.

I'm aware of a few academic papers on the subject, but they're all from the late 1990s and focused on MUDs and MUSHes. A good start but pretty out-of-date in their demographics, though the basic behavior patterns don't change too dramatically over the years.

I played on large MUDs back then, on a VT terminal program on an Amiga 500 over a 9600 baud modem. I think this one was the first one I played a female character on, and it was enlightening. Within a few days I got cyber-raped, but another time some guy treated me with the whole "M'lady" thing for a while. After both I had to +++ disconnect and process wtf had just happened. It was a formative experience.

I think its one of those educational situations that everyone should probably go through when they're young, like minimum wage manual labor. It won't help prevent the real sociopaths, but might give some people a bit of a baseline with which to comprehend other peoples behavior and experiences.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

another by this moron

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005