Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So, how many percentage points deviation in Clinton's favor from the last pre-election polls will Trump's complete denial of a ground game deliver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

US already Brexited in 1776 and canceled another Brexit with some vigorous debate from 1861-1865.

That either didn't happen or wasn't an intervention, depending on your surrogate.

Honestly, we made good calls on both instances at this point. We and India got out of that garbage fire when the getin was good. Now the rest of the isles have to deal with a post Cameron gently caress-up.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Deified Data posted:

I remember a certain group of Bros who got in hot water for telling black people how to vote

No, you don't understand. Killer Mike just doesn't know how to vote in his best interest.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Goatman Sacks posted:

So, how many percentage points deviation in Clinton's favor from the last pre-election polls will Trump's complete denial of a ground game deliver?

We don't know, because nobody's done this so badly before. Hillary's out there reminding people to register who wouldn't normally by the thousands, Trump isn't. It's free votes on the table he's not taking.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Business Gorillas posted:

No, you don't understand. Killer Mike just doesn't know how to vote in his best interest.

It's that he's voting (not voting?) like an entitled pasty white prick.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

White people vote like this and black people vote like this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

We don't know, because nobody's done this so badly before. Hillary's out there reminding people to register who wouldn't normally by the thousands, Trump isn't. It's free votes on the table he's not taking.

Yeah polls are more likely to be overestimating his performance at this point rather than the reverse, imo.

https://twitter.com/MattFriedmanNJ/status/764085843359215618

They also apparently had to talk him out of opening offices in every state, oh and he's spending this weekend campaigning in Connecticut.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
John Dingell would like to remind all visitors to USPOL to please keep a proper sense of perspective.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/764141623949271041

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Haha, I saw that post you quoted and thought to myself, "I wonder how long it'll take BG to comment?"

Five minutes. It took you five minutes.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

I remember a certain group of Bros who got in hot water for telling black people how to vote

I'm black but thanks for the patronizing reply!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Getting your meltdown started early today, I see.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Well it could deliver +5 for him every state versus where he's polling now and that would still result in a ~340 electoral vote or so landslide for Clinton, if I remember the math right.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Nucleic Acids posted:

I saw CNN reporting that, supposedly, the FBI and DOJ had talked about the Clinton Foundation. What they talked about I don't know, as I had to leave for work before CNN got to that report.

It'll probably amount to nothing in the long-term.

The current story involves a high level advisor/aide(?) to Clinton during her time as Secretary of State also working (at the same time) at the Clinton Foundation. It starts to fizzle out though as it's been reported that she did it on her own time as a volunteer, in a unpaid position. The appearance though still stinks though.

The other story that I haven't seen reported as much was the FBI had requested earlier in the year to the DoJ to start or inquire about starting a probe into the Clinton Foundation and the DoJ refused without giving any reason.

These are off the top of my head so apologies if I got the details wrong.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm actually pretty firmly in the "Bernie would have been great but Hillary is also fine" camp, but if we're going to rake people over the coals for claiming to know what's in someone else's best interest better than they, let's at least be consistent. Either that or agree that certain candidates are objectively better for certain groups of people whether individuals in that group agree with you or not, i.e. Clinton vs. Trump.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Malmesbury Monster posted:

That's a poor read on the UK situation. The Tories won election specifically by pandering to Brexit voters - Cameron promised to hold the referendum to sap support from UKIP, etc. If the anti-elitist voters had actually lost, there wouldn't have been a Brexit vote at all. Also, like Dexo said, there's just not that much room to grow for Trumpist populism.

No no, I don't mean a literal Brexit by USA voters. I mean disaster wrought by anti-establishment reactionaries, not specifically white supremacism or succession.

There's a significant population of Brexit and Trump/Bernie supporters who weren't espousing a policy position, they were just saying "the institution is rigged and I hate it". That hasn't gone away just because Trump is a clown. It'll resurface when we have a debt ceiling vote or something. When elites are warning about the disaster, the hoi polloi will be shouting "let's try it, you were wrong about NAFTA, you're wrong about this". Although they might come up with something catchier.

Edit: and if anyone figures out how to be anti-establishment without being a racist about it, we're proper hosed.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 12, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

MariusLecter posted:

Sorry Killer Mike isn't voting black enough for you I guess? I mean it sounds like you're two inches away from calling him a race traitor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PerniciousKnid posted:

No no, I don't mean a literal Brexit by USA voters. I mean disaster wrought by anti-establishment reactionaries, not specifically white supremacism or succession.

This is already happening on a small scale in Tea Party-dominated states like Kansas.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sorry Killer Mike isn't voting black enough for you I guess? I mean it sounds like you're two inches away from calling him a race traitor

Boy you sure are getting unreasonably upset that people don't like your favorite mediocre performer's bad politics.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

I'm actually pretty firmly in the "Bernie would have been great but Hillary is also fine" camp, but if we're going to rake people over the coals for claiming to know what's in someone else's best interest better than they, let's at least be consistent. Either that or agree that certain candidates are objectively better for certain groups of people whether individuals in that group agree with you or not, i.e. Clinton vs. Trump.

Like most things I think there's nuance and a very fine line between something which is patronizing and not. Objectively, there exists candidates that are better for a) a person and/or b) a group, whether or not that person or group realizes it. People make their own perceptions on reality, but reality is just that.

Assuming that a person always knows what's best for themselves is demonstrably false. The question is, who is qualified to to say what is best for said person?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

This is already happening on a small scale in Tea Party-dominated states like Kansas.

Or Flint.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So, since Bernie seems to have somehow forced Hillary to become hard-core opposed to TPP, what are the chances that the lame duck congress passes it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think they will, that works out best for everyone involved.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's very very likely to pass.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

greatn posted:

I think they will, that works out best for everyone involved.

The most likely things to come out of the lame duck session are TPP and Associate Justice Merrick Garland.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Good, hopefully Hillary has decided that it is going to pass before she assumes office, freeing her to publicly oppose it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

I like Killer Mike, but gently caress Killer Mike.

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/764116711838720000?s=09

Also lol @ anyone who still believes that Trump is some sort of reaction to neoliberalism

Easy there commando, we still have a few months before the election. Mike's a smart guy, he'll come around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He definitely told women that they weren't voting in their best interest.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There are some black people who won't vote for Clinton, that's fine, she can win without either of them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

John Dingell would like to remind all visitors to USPOL to please keep a proper sense of perspective.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/764141623949271041

let me tell you about racism in board games

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/764126384885264384

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm surprised that it's higher in NC than Florida.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hilary Clinton has released her tax returns: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37062123

(Let me know if this was already posted)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It is okay, however, to tell impoverished white people how stupid they are for voting against their own self interests.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They were banking so hard on being able to run against the concept of an unpopular Obama third term. That combined with the fact that their 30 year long campaign to keep HRC out of the WH is going to end with her having the largest mandate of any Democratic president since LBJ makes me this guy irl:thumbsup:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

Hilary Clinton has released her tax returns: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37062123

(Let me know if this was already posted)

How much of it comes from Soros? Huh? HUH?!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For those wondering, HRC paid just over a 30% effective tax rate which is less than in previous years but still in line with her rhetoric and policy.

Trump will never release his tax returns so this is all kind of moot past being a talking point off the table for the GOP and another nail in the coffin of another bad newscycle for Trump.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

How much of it comes from Soros? Huh? HUH?!

All of it. Literally every column just reads SOROS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boon posted:

For those wondering, HRC paid just over a 30% effective tax rate which is less than in previous years but still in line with her rhetoric and policy.

Trump will never release his tax returns so this is all kind of moot past being a talking point off the table for the GOP and another nail in the coffin of another bad newscycle for Trump.

Top story on cnn.com

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Antti posted:

There are some black people who won't vote for Clinton, that's fine, she can win without either of them.

I had to read this twice and then choked back a laugh so hard my coworkers thought I swallowed something

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Oh right, Flint still has bad water but no one bothers to cover the situation further deteriorating because its old news and this is an election year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

ImpAtom posted:

All of it. Literally every column just reads SOROS.

Usually he at least tries to hide it by spelling Soros backwards

• Locked thread