Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fangz posted:

................ What?

This person believes that If Trump loses it will be the dying breath of Fasci--

theflyingorc posted:

That person literally wants fascism

This.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fangz posted:

................ What?

It's everyone's favorite time of the election: Digging really, really deep to find the total lunatics in your opponent's demographic

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Yinlock posted:

It's everyone's favorite time of the election: Digging really, really deep to find the total lunatics in your opponent's demographic

http://hillaryis44.com

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"We asked an average person about their feelings towards the candidate their demographic overwhelmingly supports"

"*visibly counting money* "uh what yeah they're bad I guess"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yinlock posted:

Don't have to dig that deep this time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

zoux posted:

Don't have to dig that deep this time.

point taken

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dr Christmas posted:

In horserace news, I guess the Clinton Foundation is going to be constantly talked about now after a report that the FBI is investigating it.

Are there any decent media publishers actually saying this? It seems like those headlines are coming from right-leaning publications that are citing anonymous law enforcement agents rather than basing the claims on anything concrete. Interestingly there are competing claims that there is no investigation because the DOJ wouldn't allow the FBI to carry one out, also without any tangible proof I could find with some lazy Googling.

Check the dates on those claims, too, many of them are within 24 hours, this is apparently just right-wing sites chumming the waters with bullshit to shade Clinton.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Are there any decent media publishers actually saying this? It seems like those headlines are coming from right-leaning publications that are citing anonymous law enforcement agents rather than basing the claims on anything concrete. Interestingly there are competing claims that there is no investigation because the DOJ wouldn't allow the FBI to carry one out, also without any tangible proof I could find with some lazy Googling.

Check the dates on those claims, too, many of them are within 24 hours, this is apparently just right-wing sites chumming the waters with bullshit to shade Clinton.

I was interested in the story the first I heard of it and yeah, it's still just The Daily Caller and a bunch of alt-news sites quoting The Daily Caller.

Bharara doesn't gently caress around, if his name actually did arise in connection to a Clinton investigation then every reporter in earshot would seize the opportunity with their teeth if need be.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Hans posted:

this is something that bugs me about the internet. everyone wants to demonstrate that they are the most connected, the most up to date, the closest they can be to what is currently happening right now that they'll immediately repeat a rumor or bad source hoping it turns into some kind of scoop. you can see it itt every once in a while where someone will be all "OMG SHOOTING AT THE TRI-STATE MALL ITS MASS MURDER ALL OVER AGAIN" and then after an hour with nothing happening it turns out it was just some fight reported badly on the local news twitter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

Are there any decent media publishers actually saying this?

Fox News is the most legit source I've seen for it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is something that bugs me about the internet. everyone wants to demonstrate that they are the most connected, the most up to date, the closest they can be to what is currently happening right now that they'll immediately repeat a rumor or bad source hoping it turns into some kind of scoop. you can see it itt every once in a while where someone will be all "OMG SHOOTING AT THE TRI-STATE MALL ITS MASS MURDER ALL OVER AGAIN" and then after an hour with nothing happening it turns out it was just some fight reported badly on the local news twitter

Trust Me, I'm Lying is a great book about this, and how to manipulate it to make you money*

*with a tiny caveat that you should really, really not actually do this

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

theflyingorc posted:

That person literally wants fascism

Yeah.

Also I think it's lowering expectations. "Trump doesn't have to win. He's set the tone."

I honestly think he's right in a way. Trump has injected a lot of crazy into politics and its going to take a while to wash it out. That's if people weren't also buying into the crazy and actively encouraging it.

What bothers me about this election more than others is the amazing amount of low to no information voters who've washed into politics on a wave of populism. It happened on the left with Bernie's supporters and it's happening on the right with Donald's. They're people who don't understand the political process at all, are often learning (incorrectly) how politics works now by setting roots in ignorance that is going to last for a long time and as a result of their first exposure to politics being populism and a particularly crazy and stupid form of it are going to linger in the political substrate for years and years to come. Normally I know more than my fair share of people who are learning about politics for the first time in an election, but the number of them who don't understand how anything works while complaining about a broken system that they don't understand is staggering. People are having their first real exposure to politics this time around and its roots are set deeply in anger, cynicism, deception, fear and hatred. And we've got months to go.

It's only going to get uglier and stupider.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Haha wow I'd forgotten about Hillaryis44. It's kind of amazing that they're fully in the tank for Trump when Hillary has finally become the nominee. 8 years of Obama really loving ruined them, didn't they?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ice Phisherman posted:

I honestly think he's right in a way. Trump has injected a lot of crazy into politics and its going to take a while to wash it out. That's if people weren't also buying into the crazy and actively encouraging it.
I'm not sure I agree with this - I think Trump turned over a rock that all these people had been hiding under, I don't think he's the source. He just made people willing to say loudly what they had been saying in hushed tones.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CNN is a loving grandmaster at this. They are desperate for hot scoops.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ignoring 2020, since anyone who runs against 4 more years of mi abuela gets what they deserve, will 8 years be long enough to keep the petty fascists from just doing it again? What's to stop someone like a true-believer terrible person like say Laura Ingraham from Trumping her way into the nomination?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Ignoring 2020, since anyone who runs against 4 more years of mi abuela gets what they deserve, will 8 years be long enough to keep the petty fascists from just doing it again? What's to stop someone like a true-believer terrible person like say Laura Ingraham from Trumping her way into the nomination?

Their demographic isn't getting any younger, and without Scalia they won't be able to get away with nearly as many shenanigans to get around that. Old White People have been outnumbered, which is why they present this election as the CUSP OF APOCALYPSE and the Democrats are presenting it as A New Hope

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this - I think Trump turned over a rock that all these people had been hiding under, I don't think he's the source. He just made people willing to say loudly what they had been saying in hushed tones.

I agree in part, but at the same time he's further radicalizing and normalizing this behavior in others. Populists don't create the wave. They ride it. However they can also guide it. Maybe people were talking about it in hushed tones, but "They're going to steal the election" wasn't something that the far right was taking seriously until he started talking about it for example.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

the GOP hasn't learned a drat thing from 2008 about the pending, necessary demo shift as they pivot away from relying on the racist white vote

but if they don't learn from 2016 and their idiot primary process then they're doomed. the GOP ran a host of generic suit-types because they didn't want to coronate a loser candidate and boy howdy that plan backfired severely. there's no way they're going to let more than a few people take a shot at the 2020 nom

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're also likely to come up with new rules that give them much stronger ways to ratfuck the populist at the convention in the future.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Malmesbury Monster posted:

I didn't think you meant a literal Brexit either. What I'm saying, though, is that the forces pushing Brexit didn't get stronger because politicians ignored them, they were strengthened because politicians enabled them. In Britain, we saw that those forces were powerful enough to pass a disastrous referendum. We see a similar theme in the Tea Party. Our right-wing populists didn't win because the Republican establishment ignored them, they won because they were encouraged by the establishment up until they started ripping apart anything they saw as functional governance.

In the current situation, they are powerful enough to nominate Donald Trump (in large part because of the electoral gains they made in the Tea Party wave), but apparently not powerful enough to elect him. I don't see how losing will make them stronger. They won't go away, obviously, but the spirit of moderation that animates America is sometimes a good thing.

ed: poo poo, new page:

Ohio law defunding Planned Parenthood blocked by federal judge,

Trumps entire acceptance speech was about how he was going to government the gently caress out of every problem not to get the loving government out of every problem. It was an explicit rejection of the Reagan philosophy. I think that more encapsulates the populist faction. That was his theme the whole primary, that a government led by him would actively fix stuff, versus the typical republican line of 'get government out of everything'.

I didn't listen to his economic speech but it sounds like a retreat back to the party line.

Part of me wants to say that it seems like there is a faction of big government republicans; the cynical me thinks that there are a lot of people that are racist big government supporters. That last part right there does provide a seductive explanation for a poo poo load of the US's legislative issues over the last few decades.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

They're also likely to come up with new rules that give them much stronger ways to ratfuck the populist at the convention in the future.

That's what all the WTA primaries this year were supposed to do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't say they'd do it *well*, but they'll do *something*.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Just wait until the truth comes out about Jade Helm 13, Hitlery and Obummer will be up a creek then!

Whatever happened to that, anyway? Even the governor of Texas was afraid the Feds were going to come down on them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the GOP hasn't learned a drat thing from 2008 about the pending, necessary demo shift as they pivot away from relying on the racist white vote

but if they don't learn from 2016 and their idiot primary process then they're doomed. the GOP ran a host of generic suit-types because they didn't want to coronate a loser candidate and boy howdy that plan backfired severely. there's no way they're going to let more than a few people take a shot at the 2020 nom

The would mean some of them would have to put aside their power-hungry backstabbery for five seconds though.

I mean they're great at being lockstep(until recently) but during the primaries the Republican party becomes Game of Thrones, except with less breasts and somehow even more old men.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Torpor posted:

Trumps entire acceptance speech was about how he was going to government the gently caress out of every problem not to get the loving government out of every problem. It was an explicit rejection of the Reagan philosophy.

i dunno if it was a rejection of any particular philosophy vs. replacing a largely coherent ideology with largely incoherent rhetoric

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

I didn't say they'd do it *well*, but they'll do *something*.

No, I mean that the RNC efforts to freeze out non-traditional candidates in 2016 actually led to Trump winning. Like, it wasn't that it didn't work well, it literally handed the primary to Trump.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SquadronROE posted:

Just wait until the truth comes out about Jade Helm 13, Hitlery and Obummer will be up a creek then!

Whatever happened to that, anyway? Even the governor of Texas was afraid the Feds were going to come down on them.

The biggest, juiciest nothing:burger: the world has ever seen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reince is introing Trump at his PA rally right now.

https://twitter.com/jordanjfrasier/status/764167060440113152

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My weed dealer, a gay black man who relies on Obamacare and sells drugs for a living, was complaining about how both candidates are equally bad when I stopped by last week. I didn't even know where to begin to respond.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Fox News is the most legit source I've seen for it.

Did Fox News re-report it or are they just reporting on the Daily Caller article?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

I'm actually pretty firmly in the "Bernie would have been great but Hillary is also fine" camp, but if we're going to rake people over the coals for claiming to know what's in someone else's best interest better than they, let's at least be consistent. Either that or agree that certain candidates are objectively better for certain groups of people whether individuals in that group agree with you or not, i.e. Clinton vs. Trump.

People from the majority criticizing minority communities for failing to abandon their individual struggles in favor of some bigger, more encompassing, class one is another form of institutional oppression.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Reince is introing Trump at his PA rally right now.

https://twitter.com/jordanjfrasier/status/764167060440113152

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gov. Texas just saw how much the crazies were freaking out and decided to pander to the crazies a bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Did Fox News re-report it or are they just reporting on the Daily Caller article?

You get one guess.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

zoux posted:

No, I mean that the RNC efforts to freeze out non-traditional candidates in 2016 actually led to Trump winning. Like, it wasn't that it didn't work well, it literally handed the primary to Trump.

I think the problem with that is that it's at best a temporary fix. The electorate likes looking for political outsiders and if you shut them out you end up with people who are professional but the dems can run someone with more of that outsider feel and snatch up voters that are disgusted with normal politicians. Further, the forces that chose Trump don't disappear. They're often retiring and dying, but slowly.

Republicans really didn't need to learn a lot after 2008. The demographics were aging but still there. In 2012 they came to the conclusion that there needed to be changes. My guess is that some people tried, but any chance at reform got RINO'd out by reactionary teapartiers. So here we are in 2016. My guess is that there will be serious attempts at trying to get the party to reform, but the republican electorate won't have it. It's too brittle. It will break before it will bend.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think the problem with that is that it's at best a temporary fix. The electorate likes looking for political outsiders and if you shut them out you end up with people who are professional but the dems can run someone with more of that outsider feel and snatch up voters that are disgusted with normal politicians. Further, the forces that chose Trump don't disappear. They're often retiring and dying, but slowly.

Republicans really didn't need to learn a lot after 2008. The demographics were aging but still there. In 2012 they came to the conclusion that there needed to be changes. My guess is that some people tried, but any chance at reform got RINO'd out by reactionary teapartiers. So here we are in 2016. My guess is that there will be serious attempts at trying to get the party to reform, but the republican electorate won't have it. It's too brittle. It will break before it will bend.

There is no "they" left to coordinate attempts at reform. The party structure has too little remaining control over candidates and primaries.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

The fact that nobody knows who the gently caress Laura Ingraham is.

Trump had the massive advantage of his name recognition and the fact that he was famous enough that news networks were willing to cover him when he announced. Without those two things his campaign wouldn't have even gotten off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

Friend Ben.

not spoken, but... felt

• Locked thread