Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I always figured that the nacelles were designed that way for easy replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ambassador class or :getout:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never realized how much wrong a thread on the internet could contain until I started seeing you people saying bad things about the Excelsior.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

I like a lot of things about the study model more than the final thing, to be honest.

All I see is "space cruise liner".

Wikkheiser posted:

It's a good gap bridging between TOS' Enterprise and TNG's, it's like a fusion of the two.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

I like a lot of things about the study model more than the final thing, to be honest.

It looks like it's drawn its head back, possibly in the face of bad posting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Excelsior is the F-35 of starfleet ships; ugly, bloated, and incapable of functioning as advertised

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Excelsior is the F-35 of starfleet ships; ugly, bloated, and incapable of functioning as advertised
A seditious scotsman broke it in order to cover up for his aiding and abetting the theft of a major piece of Federation property. Which he proceeded to break and destroy, I will add, while engaging in a shooting match with the Klingon empire around a dangerous protoplanet. He's lucky they saved the planet!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean, if your badass new warp drive can be shut down by a half-drunk scot pocketing a couple fuses... :shrug:

DS9 should have been full of exploding Excelsiors instead of Mirandas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Except it's more like the stratofortress because they went ahead and used the drat things for a century.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Except it's more like the stratofortress because they went ahead and used the drat things for a century.

Just lol if you don't think we'll be using the f-35 until the heat death of the universe. After all the money they've sunk into that piece of poo poo, it's the only way they'll ever get a decent return on investment.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

DS9 should have been full of exploding Excelsiors instead of Mirandas.
That already happened. It's called Wolf 359.

Remember the USS Melbourne! *kablooey*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

WickedHate posted:

It's a good gap bridging between TOS' Enterprise and TNG's, it's like a fusion of the two.

Except it's supposed to be the in-between of Galaxy and Excelsior.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Are you guys trying to get George Takei in here in drop a municipal public transportation system on us? Stop talkin' smack about his ship! :mad:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yeah, the Excelsior and Miranda were like 100 years old by that point and were from TOS. The Miranda even shared half its parts with the Constitution and Constellation classes, yet those got phased out while Mirandas stayed in service. They still had a few Oberth-class ships in TNG as well.

The Klingons are even worse in this regard and have been using the same Birds of Prey and Battlecrusiers since loving forever.

Of course, this is mainly due to budget because these were the models they had. Plus naval ships in real life typically have 30-60 year lifespans, but the Excelsiors and Mirandas were old as gently caress.

I like to think of the Sovereign-class as the replacement and successor to the Excelsior-class. They have a pretty similar shape and proportions, being long, skinny ships, vs. the Galaxy and Ambassador who are big and fat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." -- Scotty

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was probably relatively easy to kitbash the saucer and nacelles of a constitution into a Miranda whenever the star drive section of a constitution wore out. Since the Excelsior was such a superior ship, it didn't wear out and they could just keep flying them.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

qntm posted:

On the face of it, the holographic communicator thing is actually a really, really good idea because dramatically speaking you can have both actors in the same physical space, acting and reacting off each other, even though technically they're standing on separate ships.

I don't know if they ever got close to using that technique to its full potential though. Or even realising how valuable it was. Depressingly I think that one scene in Nemesis between Picard and Tom Hardy is as close as they ever got to following through. If they ever set a Star Trek beyond the time of Nemesis, it's the one thing I hope they pick up and run with.

It's cool that they can share the space and act their asses off, but then I thought that it kind of also dodges the premise a little bit. Once you start treating it as "being there", doesn't it sort of rob these interactions of some of the flavour provided by the setting? The universe seems small if talking to an admiral 100 light years away is the same as talking to your first officer in the chair next to you.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Dirty posted:

It's cool that they can share the space and act their asses off, but then I thought that it kind of also dodges the premise a little bit. Once you start treating it as "being there", doesn't it sort of rob these interactions of some of the flavour provided by the setting? The universe seems small if talking to an admiral 100 light years away is the same as talking to your first officer in the chair next to you.

Maybe... But they can have it both ways. They - by which I mean directors - can use a standard screen or the holographic thing whenever it works best for the story. And they can explain that variation away any way they like, too: variations in technological support among species, distance/lack of data for full holographic support, custom, social context, personal preference. It's just another tool in the box. But a good one, I think!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

GreenNight posted:

There was some good poo poo in these here threads for a while. Best thread name is still keeping up with the cardassions.

I prefer Netflix's new show.

(made this over 3 years ago, I can't remember if I ever posted it here)

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, the Excelsior and Miranda were like 100 years old by that point and were from TOS. The Miranda even shared half its parts with the Constitution and Constellation classes, yet those got phased out while Mirandas stayed in service. They still had a few Oberth-class ships in TNG as well.

The Klingons are even worse in this regard and have been using the same Birds of Prey and Battlecrusiers since loving forever.

Of course, this is mainly due to budget because these were the models they had. Plus naval ships in real life typically have 30-60 year lifespans, but the Excelsiors and Mirandas were old as gently caress.

I like to think of the Sovereign-class as the replacement and successor to the Excelsior-class. They have a pretty similar shape and proportions, being long, skinny ships, vs. the Galaxy and Ambassador who are big and fat.

Pretty sure the early/production name of Sovereign class was "Excelsior II" when they were making First Contact.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I liked when everyone found out Damar made some wine commercials so people made Damar/Kanar gifs

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Allen_Aldo posted:

Pretty sure the early/production name of Sovereign class was "Excelsior II" when they were making First Contact.

No wonder the Ent-E is so hideous.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

qntm posted:

Maybe... But they can have it both ways. They - by which I mean directors - can use a standard screen or the holographic thing whenever it works best for the story. And they can explain that variation away any way they like, too: variations in technological support among species, distance/lack of data for full holographic support, custom, social context, personal preference. It's just another tool in the box. But a good one, I think!

They do it in Star Wars all the time, it's just that they're all blue and flickery.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No wonder the Ent-E is so hideous.

No, the Excelsior and Sovereign and both good looking ships you jerk.

The Refit Enterprise/A is the best looking ship, though.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is pretty much objectively true.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wikkheiser posted:

I like it but as someone else pointed out, it really is basically a halfway between the old Enterprise and the new, rather than a halfway between Excelsior and Galaxy.

(mostly because they needed to simplify the model in order to get it done on time)

Nessus posted:

A fat belly full of science and federation freedom.

I like the Excelsior's look since it's clearly related to the Enterprise yet also very clearly not the exact same thing. I think it looks better in near-profile shots tho. It's also a bit more reasonable to see how it looks when you realize the relative scale, as shown in this huge rear end picture:

That profile's not nearly accurate to Excelsior. Was that made in like 1984 by someone whose only reference was having seen the movie a month ago?

I actually think Excelsior's okay (but not Ent-B, eugh, barf), but it was always funny/annoying to me how nobody could ever seem to reproduce it accurately, whether it was in video games or comic books or... schematics like what you posted, apparently.

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is fact, not conjecture.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Yeah this is the Excelsior refit

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Excelsior_class_refit_MSD.jpg

Not nearly as weird looking but still kind of ugly. That shuttlebay on the schematic is all sorts of wrong.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Battle bridge? Does the saucer separate or do they just have a more sensible backup bridge location for when poo poo get real?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I like Andy Probert's original Ambassador concept better than the final product:
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=28446

That said, a simpler model was made due to time and budget constraints so it couldn't be helped.

I also might be in the minority, but I prefer the look of the Enterprise-B\Lakota refit over the original Excelsior. I think the extra impulse engines fill out the saucer a bit more.

Of course, like many Trekkies, I really just love Federation ships period and like how a lot of them are kitbashes of each other and have stylistic "generations" -

NX-01 \ NX Intrepid \ Warp Delta
Constitution \ Antares \ Deadalus
Constitution Refit \ Miranda \ Constellation \ Sydney
Excelsior \ Centaur
Ambassador
Galaxy \ Nebula \ New Orleans \ Intrepid
Defiant
Akira \ Steamrunner
Sovereign \ Nova \ Prometheus

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The Excelsior engineering section on its own would look loving dumb as hell.

On an unrelated note I loved the evacuation scene in Beyond. It felt incredibly real and tense. The ship is literally going down and the crew are well-trained but still struggling to make their way to the evac pods. Plus, the moment when Kirk decides to evacuate is really well done.

Also, Kelvin pods.

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
What is it with all the early drafts of a lot of the Federation ships having the neck attach at/near the middle of the saucer? Those desgins just look awful.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like Andy Probert's original Ambassador concept better than the final product:
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=28446

Gosh golly, I REALLY like that Ambassador design. Does a fine job of bridging the gap between Excelsior and Galaxy classes.

Star Trek Online lets you build ships in modular designs, so like the Miranda/Centaur/Soyuz(?) types would be jammed into one Type of ship and you could have the hull, sensor pod, and warp engines be from any of those 3. I have a weird appreciation for Star Trek Online even though I do'nt play anymore and the ground combat was disappointing.

Space combat needed to be full 3D too, that was a whole plot point in WoK for pete's sake.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

elcapjtk posted:

What is it with all the early drafts of a lot of the Federation ships having the neck attach at/near the middle of the saucer? Those desgins just look awful.
Seems like one of those 'obvious visual ideas' which doesn't look so good. I mean it is the logical point to attach a disk at.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That profile's not nearly accurate to Excelsior. Was that made in like 1984 by someone whose only reference was having seen the movie a month ago?
That there is actually the Ingram class, a fanon ship from way back in the 1980s. It's supposed to have been developed alongside the Excelsior, but with certain obvious unique features.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Of course, like many Trekkies, I really just love Federation ships period and like how a lot of them are kitbashes of each other and have stylistic "generations" -

NX-01 \ NX Intrepid \ Warp Delta
Constitution \ Antares \ Deadalus
Constitution Refit \ Miranda \ Constellation \ Sydney
Excelsior \ Centaur
Ambassador
Galaxy \ Nebula \ New Orleans \ Intrepid
Defiant
Akira \ Steamrunner
Sovereign \ Nova \ Prometheus
I always really liked that about Federation ships. It's a bit of a pity that these days it's easier to whip up a completely different ship on a computer than it is to stick random model parts together until something looks decent. I think some of those kitbashes have potential if you do another few passes on them. Look how the Nebula turned out, after all.

(Also, I've finally just realized that the reason they had all those weird designs in First Contact is because they didn't want anything flying around with the same silhouette as the Ent-E. Aside from the Akiras, Norways, Steamrunners, Sabers, and Defiant, the only ships from the shows we see in the battle are Nebulas and Mirandas.)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

Gosh golly, I REALLY like that Ambassador design. Does a fine job of bridging the gap between Excelsior and Galaxy classes.

Star Trek Online lets you build ships in modular designs, so like the Miranda/Centaur/Soyuz(?) types would be jammed into one Type of ship and you could have the hull, sensor pod, and warp engines be from any of those 3. I have a weird appreciation for Star Trek Online even though I do'nt play anymore and the ground combat was disappointing.

Space combat needed to be full 3D too, that was a whole plot point in WoK for pete's sake.

It's funny you mention that though, because people in here keep talking about designs they find ugly. If you really want some ugly designs that make no sense, look no further than STO. I mean, just look at these monstrosities:

:barf: :barf:

People who poo poo on the Excelsior \ Sovereign \ Galaxy \ NX-Refit \ whatever should just think of the horrible turds that cryptic designs and that should give them a little perspective.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Except for the first one, which is just poo poo all over, those look bad mainly from an aesthetics perspective, like someone threw a gritty BSG coat of paint over them. If there was no Star Trek between TOS and now, that's what I'd expect a reboot to look like.

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.

Marshal Radisic posted:

I always really liked that about Federation ships. It's a bit of a pity that these days it's easier to whip up a completely different ship on a computer than it is to stick random model parts together until something looks decent. I think some of those kitbashes have potential if you do another few passes on them. Look how the Nebula turned out, after all.

(Also, I've finally just realized that the reason they had all those weird designs in First Contact is because they didn't want anything flying around with the same silhouette as the Ent-E. Aside from the Akiras, Norways, Steamrunners, Sabers, and Defiant, the only ships from the shows we see in the battle are Nebulas and Mirandas.)

Its something I appreciate, mostly due to Star Trek existing in a bigger universe so more ships are needed, and not all of them can be the same design. The kitbashes made the universe larger and showed, despite the Federation being a post scarcity society that can do drat near whatever it wants, there still is some practicality in how starships are built vs how somethings are built today. We have this really good/efficient engine design, lets make it work for all these different types of ships.

My biggest gripe about the Steamrunner/Norway/Akira set of ships is that there is no design lineage, outside of the tenuous NX->Akira sorta thing. You can only have so many different takes on the Miranda/Centaur/Nebula before it gets old, and once you get to the bigger stories you gotta give a better scale to how big/varied the Federation really is.

Something I'd love to see are Fed ships not designed for humanoids, how would those be different from what we've already seen?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
There's a non-canon Horta crewed one. Its just full of artificial rock for them to reshape as needed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Except for the first one, which is just poo poo all over, those look bad mainly from an aesthetics perspective, like someone threw a gritty BSG coat of paint over them. If there was no Star Trek between TOS and now, that's what I'd expect a reboot to look like.

I suppose. Federation ships tend to be smooth, curvy and graceful looking. The ones cryptic designs are basically a lot of random shapes and lines thrown together at seemingly random. They're way too busy and just look like a bunch of poo poo slapped together with no rhyme or reason.

elcapjtk posted:

My biggest gripe about the Steamrunner/Norway/Akira set of ships is that there is no design lineage, outside of the tenuous NX->Akira sorta thing. You can only have so many different takes on the Miranda/Centaur/Nebula before it gets old, and once you get to the bigger stories you gotta give a better scale to how big/varied the Federation really is.

Something I'd love to see are Fed ships not designed for humanoids, how would those be different from what we've already seen?

The Norway is very ugly, but it only shows up in First Contact so that one barely even counts. I really like the Akira class, though. Aesthetically, the Akira takes parts from both the Galaxy-based line of ships and the later Sovereign-based ones. The Steamrummer has similar nacelles to the Akira, too.

As far as Federation ships go, the Defiant-class is really the odd one out, but the Defiant is such a cool ship that I don't really care.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

elcapjtk posted:

Well you saw the tholian ones!

I imagine there'd be a lot of similarity in the broad outlines of ships just because presumably they're doing the best they can within physical constraits; it's like how all ship hulls kinda look vaguely similar, how all submarines get a similar shape, etc. Trek's been kind of inconsistent about this beyond a general 'bilateral symmetry for the most part' kinda deal.

I mean if the rules are 'drive motors are in pairs and parallel to each other' and 'you want to minimize drag to the front' you can still get a shitload of different designs out of that, and they'd all have a similar underlaying logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's funny you mention that though, because people in here keep talking about designs they find ugly. If you really want some ugly designs that make no sense, look no further than STO. I mean, just look at these monstrosities:

Yeah, as someone that plays STO, I can't think of a non show/movie ship they've created that I don't immediately hate. There's a few that elicit an apathetic "meh" at best.