Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is that the ghost of Winston?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jastiger posted:

I just found it interesting that the official line is "go read the rules" and you go to read the rules and there are no rules lol.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb.

Bolow posted:

I've been saying lit to refer to someone being heavily damaged since at least TFC way back in like 2000. "Zarya's lit" is much quicker and concise than saying "Zarya is almost dead"

When you light a motherfucker up, what is he. He's lit

Also dumb. Don't say lit. You sound stupid.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

It seems Sombra is a scientist too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

NoDamage posted:

Official confirmation of the rollout to 60 tick: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748474858

So I haven't had a chance to play in the past several days, has anyone actually noticed a tangible difference?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Find me a better way to convey someone is near death that can be said in 3 words or less

Also stop being so tilted :greenangel:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Dumb for caring about the lingo people use in a video game. It's not some obscene wording or anything.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's not even a videogame thing, "tilting" is a poker term and to say someone got "lit up" has been a thing for a while.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I always heard tilt from pinball, when you physically tilt a table too far it will error out with a tilt message and kill the ball. Likewise in modern games, if you hit someone repeatedly or mess them up too hard, you tilt them off their game and they start loving up too much.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I just found it interesting that the official line is "go read the rules" and you go to read the rules and there are no rules lol.

What I'm hearing is Blizzard is perfect and has the best customer service in the world. I mean something at one point was excellent so it is always excellent.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I always heard tilt from pinball, when you physically tilt a table too far it will error out with a tilt message and kill the ball. Likewise in modern games, if you hit someone repeatedly or mess them up too hard, you tilt them off their game and they start loving up too much.

Probably where it originated, but poker is what made the expression popular.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've only heard lit in counterstrike

though i prefer lighted

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bolow posted:

Adjusting your rates was a time honored tradition during the Half-Life 1 days :corsair:

cl_updaterate 128
cl_cmdrate 128
rate 128000

never forget

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Verranicus posted:

The dude who got banned for playing/trolling on Symmetra posted a conversation he had with a GM or whatever in which the guy said "we let the community police itself" or something like that so yeah, I'm not surprised.

I got trolled by an attack Symmetra in comp that made me confused, angry and happy - all at once. On voice comms he would "play" an ocarina.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I love it when a team comes together. Just had a match on Hollywood where every time I was dealing with/stalling two guys the rest of the team (aside from whoever was backing me up, Rein gets some tunnel vision) would be mopping up the rest. For the first payload stretch 76 and I had a nice boring ride to the checkpoint because everyone else was playing forward and locking them down. My PotG was charging them, hammering a bit and then when I turned around everyone was dead because my team had swept in after me and mopped up while they were looking at the big armored guy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bolow posted:

Find me a better way to convey someone is near death that can be said in 3 words or less

Near Death

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

teagone posted:

cl_updaterate 128
cl_cmdrate 128
rate 128000

never forget

ex_interp 0.01

or if you're playing NS and trying to be a buggy pos skulk you could set a command to gently caress with your rates for pro laggy hitboxes

never forget

also my memory is old and fuzzy but you could use like GL_Mipmap_texture 0 or something and all the textures would be smeared and blurred into 1 solid color but models didn't. good times. i think going into your nvidia control panel and messing with LOD bias #'s could still do that in even modern games but idk maybe you can't anymore.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 12, 2016

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Xaris posted:

also my memory is old and fuzzy but you could use like GL_Mipmap_texture 0 or something and all the textures would be smeared and blurred into 1 solid color but models didn't.

That was Quake.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Also what is with Widowmakers character design? I have no doubt that she is the top hero on rule 34 but she looks so ridiculously alien somehow. She's something like 75% legs and while other characters are humans with exaggerated features she looks like a difference species all together.

shes in the tradition of feminist game characters like bayonetta

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Steeltalon posted:

That was Quake.
nah you could do it in HL and hl mods. i actually never really played quake

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Xaris posted:

nah you could do it in HL and hl mods. i actually never really played quake

Hmm they must of removed it in source. HL was a fork of the quake engine so that makes sense.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

RCarr posted:

Near Death

So much harder than saying "lit" and sounding dumb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
settle down grandpa

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im not a professional esports player so I'd just be like "hes low on health" or "ape is almost dead" or whatever.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Steeltalon posted:

Hmm they must of removed it in source. HL was a fork of the quake engine so that makes sense.
yeah pretty much every bug got carried through. probably better professional mods eventually fixed/locked down most of that. iirc there was also some weird fps breakpoints in NS where things would just be a lot better, like fps_max 76 and another one in the 100s or something. not sure if there was ever any explanation or reason or maybe it's just all in my foggy addled brain.

i do remember some more hilarious bug in NS like if you were the last slot in the server, your hitbox would lag behind significantly for no reason at all, and you could exploit that to your advantage and go to town singlehandedly taking down an entire marine team as a lowly skulk--but they did eventually fix that.

i don't really miss spending hours dicking around with commands to find ~the perfect rates~ and interp values and poo poo but it was kind of cool in retrospect.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 12, 2016

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

ex_interp 0.01

or if you're playing NS and trying to be a buggy pos skulk you could set a command to gently caress with your rates for pro laggy hitboxes

never forget

*shoots shotgun*

*sees sparks*

gently caress

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Verranicus posted:

So much harder than saying "lit" and sounding dumb.

Are you sure you're not sure why you got muted, old man?

Dias fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 12, 2016

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm 30 loving years old and have been saying lit to refer to someone heavily damaged for almost 2 decades, so get off my loving lawn :colbert:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

teagone posted:

cl_updaterate 128
cl_cmdrate 128
rate 128000

never forget

Those are GO rates, noob

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

Im not a professional esports player so I'd just be like "hes low on health" or "ape is almost dead" or whatever.

Hes a scientist you goddam racist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mcvey posted:

Those are GO rates, noob

GO is ancient compared to Overwatch :colbert:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zephyrine posted:

Also what is with Widowmakers character design? I have no doubt that she is the top hero on rule 34 but she looks so ridiculously alien somehow. She's something like 75% legs and while other characters are humans with exaggerated features she looks like a difference species all together.

She's been heavily modified by Talon, the villainous mercenary counterpart to Overwatch. More than that, though, she's designed to subtly insinuate the body language of a spider. Note the way she looks sort of like she has an arachnid abdomen/thorax shape. She looks very spider-like when she crouches and crawls as well. It's a cool design.

Verranicus posted:

This is how you turn into a cranky old rear end in a top hat that everyone hates fyi, and you endlessly pissing about it just makes me want to say it more

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Verranicus posted:

It's competitive esports jargon, grandpa scrub.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

teagone posted:

It's competitive esports jargon, grandpa scrub.

if he's upset about gaming-specific jargon, i hope he never gets interested in the fighting game scene, because he will die from anger

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man it feels amazing switching to Zen after the enemy Genji has been wrecking your backline all last round.

You hit transcendence and really do feel at peace as this angry japanese cyborg ineffectually wastes his ultimate trying to kill your mercy

Namaste

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hurt or low are two words that sound less dumb but idgaf say whatever you want friends

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dumb.

Those chat bans make more and more sense

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Every time I've heard lit, it sounds like a stoned surfer cliche. "Dude, I'm soooo lit right now <drag>". It's not obvious what "lit" means if you haven't heard it before, it could be good or bad or just mean you're high. You could say near death, almost dead, weak, 10 health left, low, hurt, which are all more clear than lit.

Say lit if you want, though. Who cares?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

to me if someone is getting lit it means they are smoking illegal drugs. Is this no longer the case? Am I old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

jesus christ you nerds

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lit