Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
even if att puts it on the nimby's lawn they still have to cross or build onto the sidewalk to get to the street or telephone poles, and that requires permitting to prevent poo poo like cutting gas mains. it's the permitting and public-use licensing that att wants given away for free, and exemption from inspections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CrazyLittle posted:

Google probably tried to do the same thing. for a while there they proposed turning streetlights into wifi APs but that was also an incredibly dumb idea.

uh, they literally did this in mountain view when they installed google wifi

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

uh, they literally did this in mountain view when they installed google wifi

what works in sparse mountain view doesn't apply to densely populated san francisco? the point is that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

wifi sucks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't see the problem with this

it looks like every other power box/distribution thingy everywhere, just that it's in a dense city so they put it on the sidewalk instead of the back corner of someone's yard or whatever

there is one of those around the corner from my house, looks exactly like that, and it doesn't "block street parking." i park beside it all the time because no one likes to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yeah the boxes are pretty much the same here in :britain: and nobody seems that bothered. they're slightly smaller but they don't really get in the way of anything.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

i don't see the problem with this

it looks like every other power box/distribution thingy everywhere, just that it's in a dense city so they put it on the sidewalk instead of the back corner of someone's yard or whatever

there is one of those around the corner from my house, looks exactly like that, and it doesn't "block street parking." i park beside it all the time because no one likes to.
the problem is literally that it's on a public right-of-way intstead of two feet into the grass like that other image

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ookay, but that's SOP. i've seen boxes installed like that all over the world.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CrazyLittle posted:

from the sf bay area thread

A box like that here would be pretty much illegal, any telecom boxes here have to be out of the way and have a size limit smaller than that, the way that box is put also makes it quite easy to be vandalized or get wrecked with bad weather and water.

Celexi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 13, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the bay area doesn't have weather

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Also its loving retarded to roll out dslams in 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CrazyLittle posted:

the point is that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution

counterpoint: my dilz

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

counterpoint: my dilz
something that small will fit almost everywhere, its true

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Celexi posted:

Also its loving retarded to roll out dslams in 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

except g.fast, which is pretty fuckin sweet

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
one time i went to cupertino and for some reason turned on my laptop's wimax and there was free wimax. this was in like 2013 and it's the only time i ever used my Intel 6250 Wifi + Wimax card's wimax, thanks for listening

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol at that box being offensive

go live in a real city where poo poo like that is all over. idiots

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

on a side note, reading about carrier spectrums and bands and poo poo is way more interesting than I ever thought it might be. a lotta politics and poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

triple sulk posted:

lol at that box being offensive

go live in a real city where poo poo like that is all over. idiots

thats an idiotic thing to say

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

anthonypants posted:

the problem is literally that it's on a public right-of-way intstead of two feet into the grass like that other image

You realize that not every block is going to have the same requirements for cabling?? Also it's not blocking the sidewalk or any parking, go gently caress yourself

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
but you see if they bring real broadband to sf that will drive all the olds out of their homes instead of the massive shortage of new housing which they should build in sf as long as it's not on their street or neighborhood or blocking their view of the industrial wasteland of reclaimed shipyards

tldr because reasons

also gently caress nimbys

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

itt a bunch of computer janitors can't imagine what they would do with fast upstream bandwidth because they don't have fast upstream so they have no current applications that use it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Millstone posted:

You realize that not every block is going to have the same requirements for cabling?? Also it's not blocking the sidewalk or any parking, go gently caress yourself
you realize that you are an idiot

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

triple sulk posted:

on a side note, reading about carrier spectrums and bands and poo poo is way more interesting than I ever thought it might be. a lotta politics and poo poo

I loving love engaging with #bands

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

except g.fast, which is pretty fuckin sweet

in-building dsl to get a fiber connection to individual apartment units is the only defendable dsl in tyool 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nimby = anyone who doesn't agree I should be able to have what I want

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mishaq posted:

in-building dsl to get a fiber connection to individual apartment units is the only defendable dsl in tyool 2016

i stayed at a hotel a few years ago that still provided in-room internet by placing DSL modems in every room, connected to a DSLAM somewhere in the hotel. guess they didn't want to run ethernet through the walls, because they had it plugged into the same outlet as the regular room phone

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

i stayed at a hotel a few years ago that still provided in-room internet by placing DSL modems in every room, connected to a DSLAM somewhere in the hotel. guess they didn't want to run ethernet through the walls, because they had it plugged into the same outlet as the regular room phone

nothing wrong with that - no competition for making GBS threads wifi signal through walls, and you'll probably get faster access that way too.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

The bottom Nexus bezel is so big because it's a recycled design that used to house a fingerprint reader.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

fuckin lol

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

THC posted:

wifi sucks

the incredible fuckin stupidity of brute-forcing a watery poo poo consumer radio standard into a massive garbage infrastructure is kind of beautiful, tho

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
good news everyone, google is creating another messaging client for android

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

well it has been more than a month since they last announced one, we were overdue

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
cheque this pos os out
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/12/google-developing-new-fuchsia-os-also-likes-making-new-words/

dart lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

good on them for not contributing to the e-waste problem

they're still shipping it with android

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

The Management posted:

I can't understand how Google can be so supremely incompetent at times.

Gmail hasn't evolved in donkey's years, and now they're just changing the front end a bit with Inbox and calling it a day. I had a plane ticket confirmation and despite Inbox showing me a "card" with all the flight info on it, there was no way to put this card in my (Google) calendar. Similarly, when I tried to update a contact's information it took about 5 minutes because apparently Inbox/Gmail doesn't have the same "person" as my phone does, so there are actually 4 entries for the same person, with some information duplicated but most only in one of the cards... Calendar and Contacts are a mess too, but that's because they're not "sexy" so nobody at Mountain View cares about them.

G+ was, well.. Just me-to-ism that didn't have any real purpose. Some of the features were pretty nice (having distinct groups of contacts you could share easily with and what ended up being Google Photos), but at the heart it was just crippled by Google's inability to look at Contacts and make it a coherent product. After a while they made Hangouts which is a nice "all-in-one messaging app", and it actually looked/sounded like it was going to be great when they integrated SMS... Then it seems the powers that be decided it wasn't hip enough and now it's increasingly shoddy (it separated by SMS discussions by phone number, so I have 3 discussions with one person who has 2 phones since we also sometimes use hangouts from a computer).

Allo sounds like a decent proof-of-concept app that's not ready for prime time and is just a "test". Like Wave (IMO one of the most interesting things Google did in a long while) it'll die if it's left to live alone, because nobody will change to using Allo unless everybody does. They should be using the app as a way to see what features work well, make frequent changes with a small user base and so forth, and once it's ready fold it into Hangouts or some kind of "general" messaging platform.

Duo... Well, I don't use video calling, and I can't really remember anybody I know using unless they're at home or doing a kind of one-off test of a new feature. Since both people need to have the app, it's pretty much a non-starter since most people that use video calling for 1-on-1 situations already has Skype (which works fine)... Again, as a test of a new technology I can understand having a standalone app before rolling it into Hangouts, but if they're expecting 1 billion Duo users they're on crack. At best Duo will give us some sad stories of people being exposed to the caller's junk before they pick up the call.

FFS Google. Messaging is probably as important as web on smartphones, and the best you have to offer is either something that doesn't do anything but SMS/MMS (Messenger), something that has 0 users (Allo) or a "platform" that doesn't have any external APIs/integration with third party messaging platforms and is broken by SMS/MMS (Hangouts)...

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i thought inbox would just automatically put the info its extracting into cards onto your calendar

i know it did for some mail i didnt even need it for -- i had an appointment reminder for something i knew nothing about in a place nowhere near where i lived and it turned out it came from some random section of a newsletter

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

i thought inbox would just automatically put the info its extracting into cards onto your calendar

i know it did for some mail i didnt even need it for -- i had an appointment reminder for something i knew nothing about in a place nowhere near where i lived and it turned out it came from some random section of a newsletter

it does until you go through the 30 deep screens and support articles to turn it off because it's worse at it than tripit

then if you want it back you have to do all the same research to get it back

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shazback posted:

I can't understand how Google can be so supremely incompetent at times.

it's because promotions and raises inside google come from visibility, visibility comes from a successful launch of a novel product, novel products come from keeping your plans confidential internally, and at no time has an incremental improvement that benefits users ever been novel at google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
It's so funny though when Google so desperately wants to be like Apple, but I can't imagine Jobs letting half as much unfinished stuff be released. I changed phone (Android to Android) recently, and I had to do a whole song and dance just to transfer my SMS messages (not the same size SIM card), which I found hilarious given that seemed to be so obviously something that would have been foreseen and integrated into the basic app, or managed through a cloud transfer/record-keeping system.

• Locked thread