Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Thor 1 & 2 are some of my favorite Marvel moves. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't even remember that. The only bits I remember liking were the bit where Loki reveals his prison cell to be an illusion and the final fight scene being mildly clever. The rest just annoyed me, the action throughout was so bad and the production design was so lazy.

Thor 1 at least had some great design with the Asgard stuff and a few remarkably funny fish-out-of-water comedy, but it's still kind of a trash pile overall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g1um446Bis&t=80s

I think it's nice to see Marvel just let it go silent the whole time, no big speech, no quips, just somber silence.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lemmy Aquaman... that's crazy enough to work.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
Aquaman should totally have a track from Mastodon's classic Leviathan.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

I really like Thor and I think The Dark World takes a lot of unnecessary flak. It's a really fun to look at movie, with some great design work going on.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suicide Squad and The Hulk are apparently complete opposites.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yoshifan823 posted:

Suicide Squad and The Hulk are apparently complete opposites.

Boob Marley 2.0

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Thor 2 isn't bad. I agree that a lot of it is forgettable though.

But it has tons of gems that make it worthwhile.

- Thor and Loki give great performances.
- Odin, Frigga, and Heimdal all have amazing supporting roles.
- The set design, character design, and the look of dark elf technology are all great.
- The final fight is very creative and has weight.
- The Loki switcheroo is telegraphed very subtly and done well.
- Asgard's arrogance and slow decline into unpreparedness is handled really well.
- The Chris Evans cameo is out of left field and pretty funny.
- Frigga's death and funeral were genuinely surprising and really well shot.
- Loki's performance when he finds out he accidentally helped kill his mom is really really good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the issue with the Thor movies is every time you start to think to yourself "Man this is starting to get pretty good" all of a sudden you're watching a Darcy scene. Darcy loving sucks. She's not even complex enough to be a one dimensional character, something like a 0.5 dimensional character.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Agreed. Thor 3 can only be improved by not having Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings come back.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wish I had video editing skills, because I would totally make a fanedit of Thor 2 where every dumb human scene was completely removed until the actual attack on Greenwich. Like, God, the scene where the dude draws the lines on the map to determine Greenwich is the target What the gently caress was that bullshit. Ideally though I think it would be better to take Thor 1 and 2, remove the human characters altogether, and merge them into one movie. I think that movie would be a blast to watch.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I think I've come to realize that the biggest crime of BvS is the complete lack of Michael Kelly.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Potato posted:

I think I've come to realize that the biggest crime of BvS is the complete lack of Michael Kelly.

I was absolutely looking out for him when I watched it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phylodox posted:

I really like Thor and I think The Dark World takes a lot of unnecessary flak. It's a really fun to look at movie, with some great design work going on.

I agree with this. I think it's got some neat poo poo in it, but I gotta put it on mute.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just watched the Luke Cage trailer, and I'm unreasonably excited already. Then I saw there'd been an earlier clip of just a fight scene, and that confirmed my suspicion that the music choices for the show are going to be awesome.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'm a big fan of the MCU but Thor 2 is by far it's weakest entry. The only interesting aspect is the continuing relationship between Thor & Loki which is consistently sidelined in favour of what might be the most boring super-villain of any super hero picture ever, Malekith. I challenge anyone to tell me of a more boring villain in one of these super-hero films, not worse mind you, more boring. Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman is probably worse as he's annoying and nothing he does ever makes any sense, but he is definitely more interesting to watch. Everything Malekith does makes sense, but he's mind-shatteringly dull.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really loved the design in Thor 2 so much I am willing to ignore it's flaws. I just love sci Fi space elves.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

greatn posted:

I really loved the design in Thor 2 so much I am willing to ignore it's flaws. I just love sci Fi space elves.

It's funny, because that was my least favorite part of it. Thor 1 had this wild-rear end technicolor Asgard and Thor 2 replaced it with something halfway between a video game cutscene and Battlefield Earth.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I would nominate 2008 Hulk for the worst Marvel title if only because I can remember virtually nothing at all about it. It's a hole in my head, like trying to remember what I ate for lunch 2 weeks ago.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Equilibrium posted:

I would nominate 2008 Hulk for the worst Marvel title if only because I can remember virtually nothing at all about it. It's a hole in my head, like trying to remember what I ate for lunch 2 weeks ago.

I only remember this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUlc_J7pfbQ

Oh, and Michael K. Williams' weird cameo (apparently part of a larger scene with some lines that got cut).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo_h8l6J7Rw

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hulk is a really solid movie until the 3rd act. Then it dramatically falls off. The Favela chase scene was pretty good. Edward Norton and Tom Cruise pioneered the acting style of really putting your arms into running as fast as you can.

Sadly, I can't find the clip of Norton doing it on Youtube. But here's the Cruise version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJdMDvjfyQ0

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I saw Incredible Hulk again for the first time since the theater the other day, and it's weird how different it feels to the later Marvel stuff. It's not great, but it's actually better than I remembered.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just went back and watched Thor 2 again after all the talk about it these last few days and there's lots of great little moments scattered throughout but it's just not a satisfying film. The big action set pieces of the Svartelf armada attacking Asgard and the Svartelf invasion of Greenwich with giant ice monsters and raging gods and fighter jets popping in and out of wormholes just felt ..... slight. The actions scenes just didn't have sufficient excitement or tension to carry the film.

Natalie Portman literally sleepwalks through the film (she gets infected by the Aether in the first act so she's mostly asleep for half the run time), Hopkins never really feels like a wrathful, all-powerful god or even a king, Hiddleston gets to shine in some early scenes but isn't given anything to work with in the second half of the film, etc etc.. The direction is a big part of all that but the score also didn't help.

It almost felt more like season highlights reel from a Netflix fantasy series than a $170 million action film.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Natalie Portman literally sleepwalks through the film (she gets infected by the Aether in the first act so she's mostly asleep for half the run time),

Portman seemed so completely unenthusiastic to be in Thor 2. I'm sure there could be several reasons, but If they bring back the character, I hope they recast her with Kiera Knightley.

I don't know why I even think this as I've not been following Lady Thor at all, but despite that I almost think Knightley could pull off the concept better than Portman if the MCU wanted to try it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I dunno I thought the end with all the teleporting around was really great.

I'm actually fascinated with "lost" technology specifically special effects and make up work. A lot of early effects like for example The Phantom of the Opera's Phantom makeup people really didn't understand how he did it.

There's been a lot of that surrounding different make up and techniques used over the years.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 13, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

Portman seemed so completely unenthusiastic to be in Thor 2. I'm sure there could be several reasons, but If they bring back the character, I hope they recast her with Kiera Knightley.

Funny, I was also unenthusiastic about Portman being in Thor 2.

Easily the couple with the least chemistry in any superhero movie. And that's saying a lot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The answer to the mystery of Lon Chaney is simple really

Fucker was insane in the best ways and so was his son

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mordiceius posted:

The first one owns I think, especially Anthony Hopkins ("I cast you out!"), the second one I found less memorable but passable.

NTRabbit posted:

I just watched the Luke Cage trailer, and I'm unreasonably excited already. Then I saw there'd been an earlier clip of just a fight scene, and that confirmed my suspicion that the music choices for the show are going to be awesome.

Hell yeah, well done vigilante justice stories are just good stuff. Also can't wait for that Punisher series!

And how great is it that Nicolas Cage is named after that guy. He should have a bit role in the show I say.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 13, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Thor 2 is the weakest of the MCU including Agents of SHIELD. There are some good things in Thor 2, but the bad (Darcy Darcy Darcy, Malekith being dull, Darcy, Jane and Thor having no chemistry, Darcy) are really bad.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Funny, I was also unenthusiastic about Portman being in Thor 2.

Easily the couple with the least chemistry in any superhero movie. And that's saying a lot.

Weakest chemistry in super hero movies:

1. Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman
2. Henry Cavill and Amy Adams
3. Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are there any credible rumours about Moon Knight being anyone in anything?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh don't worry, Moon Knight will feature in a story arc in season five of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

Weakest chemistry in super hero movies:

1. Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman
2. Henry Cavill and Amy Adams
3. Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson
4. RDJ and RDJ

Strongest chemistry in super hero movies:
1. Liam Neeson and everyone

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

If they do another round of new Netflix shows after Defenders, Moon Knight seems like a pretty obvious one, but they haven't nailed anything down yet.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I almost expect Marvel to shock us all with the Netflix series based on the Wolfpack comic and play it similar to The Warriors meets Daredevil or something.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JediTalentAgent posted:

I almost expect Marvel to shock us all with the Netflix series based on the Wolfpack comic and play it similar to The Warriors meets Daredevil or something.

Speaking of which, there's a comic book movie coming out based on an obscure underground 80s comic that was inspired by The Warriors. Called New York City Outlaws, and directed by the awesome Jason Eisener of Hobo With A Shotgun fame! I'm jazzed.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3401150/jason-eisener-adapting-new-york-city-outlaws/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNFaAUs2mo

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are perfectly fine. Christian Bale and Katie Holmes, on the other hand,

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Crion posted:

Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are perfectly fine. Christian Bale and Katie Holmes, on the other hand,

Poor Katie Holmes.

Cillian Murphy acts circles around her in their few scenes together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Crion posted:

I heard she.... rattles the cages...

By the way just saw Suicide Squad. It is cheesy, doesn't always hit the mark, but it is ultimately "good enough" as Cyndi Lauper once said. It's less good than say the 2009 film GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, but it is a better yarn than Jonah Hex.

• Locked thread