Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I picked it up the moment pre-orders went live and spent about 100 hours on it in various Early Access builds. I eventually got tired of all the character wipes though. First signs of things going downhill and snowballing was 2014, but I had already stopped a while ago while sort of half-heartedly waiting for the game to come out of EA.

I guess mods make the game pretty decent though, but I still miss my bubble and butterfly techs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm sure someone has the files for those old techs kicking around somewhere.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Are there any particularly choice bits of Tiy/other Starbound devs here getting salty ala the Killing Floor people getting passive-aggressive, or was it more of a boring "screw you guys, then, we're going home"?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Are there any particularly choice bits of Tiy/other Starbound devs here getting salty ala the Killing Floor people getting passive-aggressive, or was it more of a boring "screw you guys, then, we're going home"?

Turns out we didn't like Alpacas.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Supernorn posted:

quote:

Remember that time you were all 'no seriously if anyone has some concerns about stuff bring them up' and then a bunch of people said some actual legit things in clear language with several fair criticisms of the current state of the game and when you showed up again like three days later you had cherrypicked the softest softballs possible?
So what you're saying is that I answered people's questions? It's true i'm the jerk. Lighten up, guy! Have an Alpaca:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Supernorn is a loving jag and I hope he never posts here again.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I can't remember exactly what was said, but when I was going through Stardew Valley I saw Supernorn over in that thread talking about how mean we are here. :)

Don't think any other thread in Games can claim to have run out a j4g who was also a dev.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

He shittalked us in the pixelart thread too while posting about procedural weapons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

Is this game as bad as the steam reviews make it sound?

It's not unplayable or anything, but it doesn't do much that other games don't do better. If you want to play 2D Minecraft then play Terarria. If you want to explore a virtually infinite number of planets in a procedurally generated universe then play Noctis. I guess the main thing Starbound has going is the huge number of art assets and maybe the ship thing if you're into that, whatever. I don't feel like it's really enough to carry the game.

The biggest problem for me is how flat the progression feels. You start out hitting enemies with 100 hp for 10 damage, a few hours later you're hitting enemies with 200 hp for 20 damage, and then 20 hours later you're hitting enemies 500 hp for 50 damage. There's not much in the way of cool stuff to unlock.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Cicadas! posted:

Supernorn is a loving jag and I hope he never posts here again.

I've known supernorn since 2002 in the Natural Selection community and he was much of the same then as he is now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

It's not unplayable or anything, but it doesn't do much that other games don't do better. If you want to play 2D Minecraft then play Terarria. If you want to explore a virtually infinite number of planets in a procedurally generated universe then play Noctis. I guess the main thing Starbound has going is the huge number of art assets and maybe the ship thing if you're into that, whatever. I don't feel like it's really enough to carry the game.

The biggest problem for me is how flat the progression feels. You start out hitting enemies with 100 hp for 10 damage, a few hours later you're hitting enemies with 200 hp for 20 damage, and then 20 hours later you're hitting enemies 500 hp for 50 damage. There's not much in the way of cool stuff to unlock.

I'd actually say if you want to play 2d minecraft play Starbound, if you want to play a better game then play terraria. Terraria as of its latest versions isn't really very minecraft-like, it's much more like a sandbox metroidvania and does it really well, while starbound fails badly at that.

It uh, also, weirdly does a better job of being Dark Souls-like than noted Dark Souls Of Platformers Wannabe Starbound because it probably actually has more things in common, being largely about beating absurd bosses and dying a bunch while collecting a menagerie of weird people at your main hub.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 13, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I feel like if you're going to make a game or be a part of a team making a game, and all you do is poo poo on the people with actual questions or concerns OR CRITICISMS, then you suck at your job.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

So that jeep's in the game somewhere right? :v:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Im glad this thread is getting back in track

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I remember having a reasonable ammount of fun with this game when I last played it in ~2014 or so, trying 1.0 started out a bit rocky but after 8ish mods and a few admin commands for some extra upgradesfor my ship and MM I think I'm having fun!

There's still some fun in there somewhere, definitely feels like a lot of form over function though.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Heartcatch posted:

I've known supernorn since 2002 in the Natural Selection community and he was much of the same then as he is now.

Yeah, I don't want to poo poo talk or anything but one of my first gigs in as a pixel artist in 2009 was helping out here and there on SS13, and....yeah :sigh:

Davoren posted:

I hope it is, I was real proud of it!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I had to bring this back from a few pages ago because those eyes, holy poo poo

edit: were you involved in the whole graphical overhaul of SS13 back in the day?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
To be fair, SS13 is still a really fun game! :v: Just, not quite for the reasons intended. All of the fun on SS13 is in using things in unintended ways, really.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Weeping Wound posted:

I had to bring this back from a few pages ago because those eyes, holy poo poo

edit: were you involved in the whole graphical overhaul of SS13 back in the day?

No, I only stuck around for a few months in 2009. A friend randomly asked me to draw poop sprites, and it wound up being used in SS13. It divided the community and half of the devs liked it, half hated it (and by extension me) and I ended up just quietly leaving because I felt unwelcome.

I'll need to double check it's okay but if anyone wants assets of vehicles to mod, I have the mech, apex mech, jeep and an unimplemented drilling machine.

I also have the sheet for that deer thing that didn't make it in the game.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 13, 2016

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Be sure you have proper ownership of your work first Rho, I could see Tiy trying to dickslap you with some stupid contract poo poo for posting the good stuff here..

As for Supernorn... eh. Most I can say about him from my time spent on SS13 is that he's fairly unremarkable, probably because i've seen way worse than him come and go. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Davoren posted:

I saw no sign of it myself.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

I Said No posted:

Be sure you have proper ownership of your work first Rho, I could see Tiy trying to dickslap you with some stupid contract poo poo for posting the good stuff here..

As for Supernorn... eh. Most I can say about him from my time spent on SS13 is that he's fairly unremarkable, probably because i've seen way worse than him come and go. :v:

Yeah good point, I just hate to see work go to waste.

I remember I quit SS13 for the first time because one guy thought he was real original for roleplaying a serial killer every round. It got to the point where every time the round started everyone would toolbox him to death immediately :twisted:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Makes sense. Tools need to be contained by a toolbox, after all. :v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Finally got around to playing Starbound 1.0 some and...wow. I don't think I've seen a game so mediocre and deliberately tedious. Imagine I should post more thought about it but this game, for all of its impressive visuals, is just so unbelievably bland. It's like a collection of inoffensive cliches.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Davoren posted:

It was at one point, but I'm pretty sure it's been removed. The assets might still be floating around in the files, but the ability to spawn one hasn't existed since they made the vehicles into items. May be possible with a mod if the assets are still there.

So much removed content for no reason, except maybe spite?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's like a collection of inoffensive cliches.

Another new feature of 1.0 , they removed everything interesting and different about the races and plot and sanded the edges off everything.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bob Locke posted:

It was at one point, but I'm pretty sure it's been removed. The assets might still be floating around in the files, but the ability to spawn one hasn't existed since they made the vehicles into items. May be possible with a mod if the assets are still there.

So much removed content for no reason, except maybe spite?

Another new feature of 1.0 , they removed everything interesting and different about the races and plot and sanded the edges off everything.

Incorrect: The races never had anything defining about them to begin with

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah, I don't want to poo poo talk or anything but one of my first gigs in as a pixel artist in 2009 was helping out here and there on SS13, and....yeah :sigh:

At least SS13 can be fun once in a while. Even if I haven't played in two years since putting someone in a straitjacket and locked them inside a bacta tank for the entire game.

Bob Locke posted:

I'm ever so slightly bitter at the removal of all the interesting codex entries because I thought that the original lore was much more interesting. Why do I even care about the vegetable terrine protectorate? Hmph. There is a mod that makes the races slightly mechanically different, but I think I've extolled the usefulness of mods to make the game actually decent already.

I've largely exhausted my complaints about the progression and fun mechanics being removed, so I'd be repeating myself otherwise.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

have any decent mods come out since the 1.0 release. and i mean something different than stuff like frackin universe that's 100% just old stuff lumped together

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

supernorn is the living example of "Am I out of touch? No. It's the childrGOONS who are wrong."

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Patware posted:

supernorn is the living example of "Am I out of touch? No. It's the childrGOONS who are wrong."

To be fair, goons ARE goons.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

hmmmm the game updated and now all of my bookmarks are gone. a+ would uninstall again!

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah good point, I just hate to see work go to waste.

For what its worth I would totally implement a drilling vehicle into the overhaul mod I'm currently working on. The jeep and three mechs are actually in the game still, you can spawn them using admin commands, but the jeep is basically unusable on the procedural terrain.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Someone needs to attach a drill or a bulldozer plow to the explorer pods.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Game's fine. Not great, but fine, I've been enjoying it. Also terraria, for all it's nice points, looks like poo poo. I still don't get why they used little itty bitty final fantasy sprites for that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Worst part of terraria art were the grayish outlines on everything. There was a night and day difference between official sprites and the vibrant ones Cicadas! came up with

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

Worst part of terraria art were the grayish outlines on everything. There was a night and day difference between official sprites and the vibrant ones Cicadas! came up with

Show me! I wanna see!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Will look for them when I get home tonight, if Cicadas doesn't beat me to it

Weapons were the best change

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

To be fair, SS13 is still a really fun game! :v: Just, not quite for the reasons intended. All of the fun on SS13 is in using things in unintended ways, really.

Recently someone figured out that you could straight up steal UI elements from other players, and then someone else stole a UI element, deep fried it, and beat someone to death with it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Recently someone figured out that you could straight up steal UI elements from other players, and then someone else stole a UI element, deep fried it, and beat someone to death with it

The one time I played ss13 I logged in toward the end. There were like 20 naked fat guys slowly carpeting the halls with poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The first and only time I played Ss13 someone gave me a joint and I barely figured out how to smoke it and then I couldn't figure out how to stop. Ended up in the trash compactor somehow.

That game makes for great stories at least