Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

From uncovering war crimes to just straight up doxxing and harassment. It's nice that wikileaks retroactively justifies all the criticism it received.

When a site dedicated to "transparency" starts blatantly picking political sides and withholding information, yeah it's not really dedicated to transparency anymore, it just a political tool for digging up dirt on opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Armani posted:

If I was running a campaign and a large part of my detractor's criticisms are directly at my skin colour being the colour of unrefrigerated creme fraiche or other colorful food analogies, I'd probably think twice before setting up shop on White St

His California campaign office is probably in Orange County. Orlando's also in Orange County (The FL one though) and Trump's next campaign office probably belongs on Orange Blossom Trail.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The sov-cits are getting ancy. I wonder if we will see more violence from them before the election.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/764318359538237441

btw, jjmacnab was the best twitter follow from the bird sanctuary occupation.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Epic High Five posted:

Man it'd be great if somebody hacked wikileaks and released all the RNC emails they are sitting on and refusing to release FOR SOME REASON

If Clinton really were the villain people make her out to be, this would've happened already
Wikileaks doesn't have the RNC emails, Putin does. Why do you think the Vichy RNC leadership surrendered to Trump?

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Trump wants to win, but he doesn't have to win in order to preserve his fragile ego. What DOES have to happen is that if he loses, he needs a large number of people to believe that he didn't lose--that it wasn't his fault. I don't know what that number is. I don't think fifty, or a hundred, or a thousand. I don't think just having his immediate family agree with him would be enough. I think as long as he has enough safe places to go.. ten or twenty websites and TV/radio hosts and their listeners willing to echo his chamber, I think he'll be fine.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Republicans are not going to win the Presidency for a generation. It will take 16 years to not only undo the damage Trump is doing but to then correct the institutional problems as a party that became apparent in 2008.

Bit delayed, but here, this is a pro read: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/6-big-takeaways-from-the-rnc-s-incredible-2012-autopsy

Sword of Chomsky posted:

The sov-cits are getting ancy. I wonder if we will see more violence from them before the election.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/764318359538237441

btw, jjmacnab was the best twitter follow from the bird sanctuary occupation.

We got a sovcit thread, though it more focuses on Bundy and his ilk than anything: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761854

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wikileaks doesn't have the RNC emails, Putin does. Why do you think the Vichy RNC leadership surrendered to Trump?

Because they had already been jacking off to Putin well before this election was underway for him to really need any collateral to hold the Right to work with him in any way. This isn't even a cohesive clandestine affair. This is Putin utilizing accelorationists and know-nothing Alt-right and aging Tea Baggers by letting them be loud and stupid while he lets Wikileaks be the anti-US hackers they love to be at this point. Like Hilldog, he doesn't even need to likely lift a finger because his opposition and willing tools are just that loving dumb enough to smash their face into the floor repetitively for him.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Perhaps this is already happening, but I wonder if there is a concerted Democratic plan to hang Donald Trump around the neck of every Republican up for re-election. Hillary seems content to let Trump self-destruct, which is probably the best strategy. Given Trump's absolute inability to resist a feud, it seems like it would be shrewd to try to force every down ballot Republican to either embrace Trump or invite the wrath of the lunatic right and the Donald on Twitter. Could be an interesting debate season across the board.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kobayashi posted:

Perhaps this is already happening, but I wonder if there is a concerted Democratic plan to hang Donald Trump around the neck of every Republican up for re-election. Hillary seems content to let Trump self-destruct, which is probably the best strategy. Given Trump's absolute inability to resist a feud, it seems like it would be shrewd to try to force every down ballot Republican to either embrace Trump or invite the wrath of the lunatic right and the Donald on Twitter. Could be an interesting debate season across the board.

It's going on with McCain, though I have yet to see it be done with Ron Johnson.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Trollbama already set the trap, it's just a matter of poking Tiny Hands to stick his dick into it/forced all major Rs to justify why cutting your nose off to spite the face Tiny Hand's latest bed making GBS threads.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

PhazonLink posted:

Trollbama already set the trap, it's just a matter of poking Tiny Hands to stick his dick into it/forced all major Rs to justify why cutting your nose off to spite the face Tiny Hand's latest bed making GBS threads.

I tried to read this but I had a seizure.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Kobayashi posted:

Funny you should mention this.

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/6132

quote:

To: DaceyA@dnc.org
Date: 2016-05-16 19:04
Subject: Problem with HFA

Hi Amy, the Clinton rapid response operation we deal with have been asking us to disaggregate Trump from down ballot Republicans. They basically want to make the case that you either stand with Ryan or with Trump, that Trump is much worse than regular Republicans and they don't want us to tie Trump to other Republicans because they think it makes him look normal.

They wanted us to basically praise Ryan when Trump was meeting Ryan, or at a minimum to hold him up as an example. So they want to embrace the "Republicans fleeing Trump" side, but not hold down ballot GOPers accountable.

That's a problem. I pushed back that we cannot have our state parties hold up Paul Ryan as a good example of anything. And that we can't give down ballot Republicans such an easy out. We can force them to own Trump and damage them more by pointing out that they're just as bad on specific policies, make them uncomfortable where he's particularly egregious, but asking state Parties to praise House Republicans like Ryan would be damaging for the Party down ballot.

Can you help us navigate this with Charlie? We would basically have to throw out our entire frame that the GOP made Trump through years of divisive and ugly politics. We would have to say that Republicans are reasonable and that the good ones will shun Trump. It just doesn't work from the Party side. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, - Luis.

P.S. - - that strategy would ALSO put us at odds with Schumer, Lujan, Pelosi, Reid, basically all of our Congressional Democrats who have embraced our talking points and have been using them beautifully over the last couple of weeks to point out that GOPers in Congress have been pushing these ugly policies for years. Trying to dump this approach would probably not work with Members of Congress, it's worse than turning an aircraft carrier, we would lose 3/4 of the fleet. Let me know what you think. It might be a good strategy ONLY for Clinton (which I don't believe), I think instead she needs as many voices as possible on the same page.

[SigDems]<http://www.democrats.org/>Luis Miranda, Communications Director
Democratic National Committee
202-863-8148 - MirandaL@dnc.org<mailto:MirandaL@dnc.org> - @MiraLuisDC<https://www.twitter.com/MiraLuisDC>

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol that doesn't look fake at all

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iospace posted:

It's going on with McCain, though I have yet to see it be done with Ron Johnson.
Johnson is going to bomb hard anyway, right?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

I liked them when they released the Collateral Murder video (the Helicopter audio/guncam leak). I haven't thought much of them since. Their releases became increasingly irrelevant over time, those releases were Assange's increasingly desperate grabs for more attention. Collateral Murder was in 2009, Assange's alleged act of rape was in 2010, and whether or not he did it his awful character was exposed more and more. He's declined to the point that Wikileaks is a literal mouthpiece for Putin. gently caress that guy and I hope he's being driven crazy in that tiny Ecuadorean embassy he calls home.

Collateral Murder was also edited to make the US seem more culpable than it actually was. Which I suppose really should have tipped us off that Assange was nothing but an attention whore, and not a journalist.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol

also 3 months ago the focus was on sowing maximum discord in the GOP ranks because it was blindingly obvious that Trump was going to be the nominee. Looks like Miranda didn't get that message, because people are already being Trumped now that he's unavoidable.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

cargo cult posted:

I really don't think the alt-right losing the presidency for another four years while establishing an effective Dolchstoßlegende three months out bodes well for internal or foreign policy stability at all. "In certain sections of this state, they cheat and they can't win without cheating," Trump talking about loving PA.

As a bernie-left PoC, I just don't see it that way, the center cannot hold. Maybe if Hillary and the Republican establishment somehow wise-up and reject austerity either through student debt relief or massive green-energy-Keynesian stimulus spending (lol). MSNBC is already legitimizing the 'anger' against business republican immigration and lovely trade deals to explain the breakdown of recent voting patterns, which is a pretty bad sign as well IMO.

Also, I really didn't pay attenton at all but the fact that a "Remain" MP was gunned down in the UK with hardly any widespread outrage is already the biggest red flag possible if I'm being honest with myself.

"

I'm just empty quoting myself to attempt to address my personal anxieties...........

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

33rd Degree Idiot posted:

Yes, this is the obvious strategy, were this to happen.

Claiming to have damning evidence that you will be releasing in the near future is a bizarre strategy, and Wikileaks isn't even the first group to employ it this year. Anonymous threatened Ted Cruz with damning info and gave him two weeks to quit campaigning for Prez or they'd release it and ruin his life. He didn't quit and it turned out that they didn't have dick. I think in the case of Anonymous they were gambling on Ted Cruz having a bunch of skeletons in his closet and he might be bluffed out of the race, and in the case of Wikileaks they're trying to keep the idea of Clinton corruption an ever-present meme in the media and online. The end result is the same wet fart either way.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I recall reading this in 2013 but I'd forgotten the particulars. Holy poo poo was this worth reading again in light of current events.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Doesn't sound like the DNC was in the tank for Clinton at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bip Roberts posted:

Doesn't sound like the DNC was in the tank for Clinton at all.

It's almost like around May 16th Hillary had already p much clinched the nomination. Bernie would have had to win the remaining few primaries by astronomical numbers to win the pledged delegates count.

It also makes sense for the Clinton campaign to send info on tactics and ways to handle the eventual general election to the DNC.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

I know we're all excited, but what?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dexo posted:

It's almost like around May 16th Hillary had already p much clinched the nomination. Bernie would have had to win the remaining few primaries by astronomical numbers to win the pledged delegates count.

It also makes sense for the Clinton campaign to send info on tactics and ways to handle the eventual general election to the DNC.

I was pointing out with this counternaritive that the Clinton campaign controlled the DNC during the primary doesn't jive at all with them pushing back on their campaign stratagem.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

Conservatism may be at a low point, but populism isn't, and the next demagogue may not have the disadvantage of being a literally insane fascist. The next couple of decades may see a modern Huey Long, who could gently caress up the Democratic party (and possibly America) as much as a Trump presidency.
I anticipate this happening. For a weird hybrid blend of this look at the Five Star Movement in Italy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Crossposted:

So is the rest of Trump's campaign going to be pretty much "incites mob", and is he going to be able to get away with doing this and keep coyly pretending he's doing something else?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

Conservatism may be at a low point, but populism isn't, and the next demagogue may not have the disadvantage of being a literally insane fascist. The next couple of decades may see a modern Huey Long, who could gently caress up the Democratic party (and possibly America) as much as a Trump presidency.

Populism in the "poor white" sense will basically always look like Trump.

Populism in the "hey let's actually support everyone" will help Democrats much more than Republicans, at least in the near future.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Crossposted:

So is the rest of Trump's campaign going to be pretty much "incites mob", and is he going to be able to get away with doing this and keep coyly pretending he's doing something else?

define "get away with"

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

computer parts posted:

Populism in the "poor white" sense will basically always look like Trump.

Populism in the "hey let's actually support everyone" will help Democrats much more than Republicans, at least in the near future.

It's all window dressing, friend.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fangz posted:

I think Obama's half-brother also came out for Trump for some weird reason.

From a while back, but he hates gays and is supporting the party most likely to discriminate against them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samovar posted:

From a while back, but he hates gays and is supporting the party most likely to discriminate against them.
He's also mad about Gadaffi getting wasted. Apparently somebody was fumb enough to buy into his Pan-Africa poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

It's all window dressing, friend.

No, it actually isn't.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

computer parts posted:

No, it actually isn't.

You're right, Trump is a principled conservative who really believes in the power of the Republican platform to effect positive change for everyday Americans. And if he wasn't surely the same thing couldn't happen on the left, because they are dumb and we are smart.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

You're right, Trump is a principled conservative who really believes in the power of the Republican platform to effect positive change for everyday Americans. And if he wasn't surely the same thing couldn't happen on the left, because they are dumb and we are smart.

I'm really curious what you think the Democratic equivalent to Trump's "Evict the Mexicans and Muslims to get your jobs back" line is.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

computer parts posted:

I'm really curious what you think the Democratic equivalent to Trump's "Evict the Mexicans and Muslims to get your jobs back" line is.

whoa amazingly I'm not the weird strawman you've got in your head, so I don't think there is one

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

whoa amazingly I'm not the weird strawman you've got in your head, so I don't think there is one

Petr posted:

The next couple of decades may see a modern Huey Long, who could gently caress up the Democratic party (and possibly America) as much as a Trump presidency.

Right.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

If you have a point, it would be cool if you made it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

If you have a point, it would be cool if you made it.

Likewise.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

It's in the thing you just quoted, friend.

You seem to be itching for an argument with someone who's not me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

It's in the thing you just quoted, friend.

No, it doesn't appear to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm rather confused what Huey Long of the 2020s Democratic Party is even supposed to be. Like a southerner? A white democrat? A "chicken in every pot" populist?

• Locked thread