Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Spazz posted:

Any recommendations for a low angle smoothing plane? I don't have room for a jointer.

The veritas small BU smoother is probably the best low angle plane for smoothing tasks. However a small smoothing plane is not a substitute for a powered jointer in the slightest, for that you'd want a fore or jointer plane.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I eagerly await your spring-loaded death-trap and/or goon masterpiece.

It seems like that's the only 2 options in this thread.

Either way, we all win.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

GEMorris posted:

The veritas small BU smoother is probably the best low angle plane for smoothing tasks. However a small smoothing plane is not a substitute for a powered jointer in the slightest, for that you'd want a fore or jointer plane.

I've got an old No. 4 Sweetheart that's fantastic for smoothing, so I may look at a proper jointer plane for larger boards/tables. The Veritas one is a little more than I wanted to spend, but that fence combo looks amazing.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=52414&cat=1,41182,52515

Might see if I can talk my Dad into going halves on one.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So I didn't really consider this earlier but that danish oil sure does, uh, smell. I was reading about it and I guess it can take several weeks for that to go away? Meanwhile my apartment smells like an indoor basketball court and I'd rather it not. Anything I can put on top of it to seal in the smell? Some googling said shellac would work okay, is that a good idea?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

So I didn't really consider this earlier but that danish oil sure does, uh, smell. I was reading about it and I guess it can take several weeks for that to go away? Meanwhile my apartment smells like an indoor basketball court and I'd rather it not. Anything I can put on top of it to seal in the smell? Some googling said shellac would work okay, is that a good idea?

It will stop smelling faster than tha in my experience (though maybe I just grew to ignore/like the smell...) You don't want to seal it because that will keep the oil from drying. You could coat it with some beeswax if you wanted.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Thus far, I've built myself a nightstand. My sister would like some baby things built for my future niece. I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about dos and don'ts of woodworking and babies? I'm guessing no small parts like screws, sand everything, no sharp corners, avoid wood stain. Anything else? Any types of wood I shouldn't use?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

huhu posted:

Thus far, I've built myself a nightstand. My sister would like some baby things built for my future niece. I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about dos and don'ts of woodworking and babies? I'm guessing no small parts like screws, sand everything, no sharp corners, avoid wood stain. Anything else? Any types of wood I shouldn't use?

I'd avoid finishes that create a surface layer, like polyurethane, because they'll just end up flaking off when the kid gnaws on it. Speaking of, if you care about toothmarks, use harder woods. Naturally, stick to food-safe finishes; pure tung oil is a good one. And sand like hell if you have a wood type that's prone to splintering. For profiles, I just slapped a 1/4" roundoff on all of my for-kids stuff. It's not remotely artistic, but that's not really the goal here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

huhu posted:

Something to keep in mind is that babies grow super fast so most of the furniture is only used for a couple years. You can build cribs that transform into toddler beds to squeeze a couple more years out of them but after that most of them go to yard sales or thrift stores. A crib/bed is a good example where a plan is better than winging it as presumably someone will have already thought through the safety aspects. Stick with common domestic hardwoods and you'll be fine. Changing tables should have sides because babies squirm and roll around. You can make a combination changing table/dresser that flips upside down so the sides become the feet when the kid reaches toddlerhood. It's a little early for toys but the simpler the better -- blocks, boxes, anything that stacks or fits inside another thing; toddlers love that stuff. Believe me, blocks are entertaining right up until teenage years.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Similarly, mineral oil. Shellac is a kid-safe finish too.

As to the wood, some exotics (e.g. cocobolo, rosewood) are known allergens/sensitizers. Others, like Yew, are toxic. There's a big chart here, which seems fairly credible and lists sources. http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Edit: of course, I doubt you'd actually be making toys out of cocobolo anyway. And most of the irritants listed there are more for inhalation of dust than gnawing on the wood, so take it with a grain salt :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hubis posted:

It will stop smelling faster than tha in my experience (though maybe I just grew to ignore/like the smell...) You don't want to seal it because that will keep the oil from drying. You could coat it with some beeswax if you wanted.

I've noticed that I can only really smell it when I first walk in the door after getting home from work and then I guess my nose just tunes it out while actually home, I'd just rather not have guests (or maintenance) think I live in a chemical plant :v:

In hindsight I probably should have left it outside longer but now that it's all assembled i'd have to unbolt everything to get the tabletop back out there and :effort:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I've noticed that I can only really smell it when I first walk in the door after getting home from work and then I guess my nose just tunes it out while actually home, I'd just rather not have guests (or maintenance) think I live in a chemical plant :v:

In hindsight I probably should have left it outside longer but now that it's all assembled i'd have to unbolt everything to get the tabletop back out there and :effort:

Open some windows and fan out the apartment when it's not hotter than Satan's Taint outside. It's probably just residual odor at this point anyways.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hubis posted:

Open some windows and fan out the apartment when it's not hotter than Satan's Taint outside. It's probably just residual odor at this point anyways.

I also probably shouldn't have done this while living in Florida in the summer :downs:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
FUUUUUu- My bandsaw blade snapped. Now I'm out of blades. Damnit both my tuffsaws blades have broken, the 1/4 one a few months ago and this one just today. I bought this one in december 2014 so I got some years use out of it, and one resharpening. I dunno is this normal life expectancy for bandsaw blades?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Is it as horrifying as I'm picturing when a bandsaw blade snaps?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

It's kind of surprising, but it's not likely to cause injury. There's not that much tension (or mass) in the blade, and the saw housing and the workpiece will conspire to ensure that the blade doesn't have a lot of room to flail around causing injury. Assuming you're using proper protective equipment and cutting technique, I expect the worst that could happen is you end up with some minor lacerations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Slugworth posted:

Normal bandsaws and < 3/4" blades aren't really scary at all. There's nowhere for the blade to go because of the guides and wheel covers, so it will snap and stop instantly in the cut instead of noodling all over the place and trying to kill you.

Band mills, however :v:
I blow up blades on the mill on a semi-regular basis and it's fairly exciting.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's a loud bang and it scares the poo poo out of you, then you look and see the blade sticking out with one broken end hanging loose. By then I just give up and go inside, my bandsaw takes several minutes to spin down.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Back in middle school shop class I always managed to be the person who broke the bandsaw blade, doing it like 4 different times. Scared the gently caress out of everyone in the shop every time too so I got to stand there and be all "s-sorry guys" each time while the teacher got another one out and replaced it :saddowns:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just read an article about silver brazing your own bandsaw blade back together, make it happen.

:getin:

Free Market Mambo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 13, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Free Market Mambo posted:

Just read an article about silver brazing your own bandsaw blade back together, make it happen.

:getin:

The machinist next door to my work will fix ours up a couple times before we get a new blade. The fix seems to last, the next break is usually in a different location.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The big industrial band saw my alma mater has in their machine shop has a built in station for cutting and welding blades together, so they can just get a spool of blade.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Retried this:

and ended up with this:

This was a gift for Mrs. Trabant who doesn't like shiny wood things so I finished it with BLO off the lathe.

Lessons learned:

1) That crack going down the middle of the stock really limited what I felt comfortable doing, but it's the wood I had on hand... It adds gobs of character, but means I had to back off on how aggressive I could get in shaping the piece.

2) I need to be a lot more careful when trying to achieve a friction fit of the lid. I accidentally ended up making the lid fit very loose, so I had to improvise with that tiny bead you can see at the bottom of the tenon. It made the tenon just wide enough for the lid to grab onto -- it holds really well, but I wish I didn't have to do that.

3) Related to #1: If I hadn't been so afraid of ripping the whole thing apart, I would've kept the bottom/lid proportions closer to a 2:1 ratio like I originally intended, as well as making the box much deeper. But once I got to a point where it seemed like I was pushing my luck, I stopped.

More pictures in the projects thread.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Very nice. Our local woodworking club demonstrated stabilizing wood with cracks or burls using resin. He did it for knife handles and pens. It was an interesting process where he submerged the wood in the resin and applied vacuum to pull the air out. He poured the leftover resin back in the bottle then baked the wood at 200F or so. Then it was set and you could start shaping the wood safely. His examples did have that polished plastic feel but it definitely has its applications.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
You can also use cracks as an excuse to fill in with colored resins or epoxies, or do inlay with crushed stone and CA glue for an extra decorative touch. Some folks have also used glow in the dark pigments in clear epoxy, which is pretty neat.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Build a cherry/walnut box this week to store some beer steins for a wedding gift but was in such a rush to finish I completely failed to even take any pictures before running off to the wedding. You'll just have to believe me that it looked amazing and completely flawless.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bred posted:

Very nice. Our local woodworking club demonstrated stabilizing wood with cracks or burls using resin. He did it for knife handles and pens. It was an interesting process where he submerged the wood in the resin and applied vacuum to pull the air out. He poured the leftover resin back in the bottle then baked the wood at 200F or so. Then it was set and you could start shaping the wood safely. His examples did have that polished plastic feel but it definitely has its applications.

I absolutely understand what you mean by the plasticky feel. I've used stabilized wood for knife handles and they do feel a little fake, although not all of them. Would've made my life a lot easier with this chunk of wood, that's for sure.

Parts Kit posted:

You can also use cracks as an excuse to fill in with colored resins or epoxies, or do inlay with crushed stone and CA glue for an extra decorative touch. Some folks have also used glow in the dark pigments in clear epoxy, which is pretty neat.

It really does sound tempting, if beyond my skillset. But that's how we grow, right? Keep your ambition greater than your abilities :v:

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I haven't done any woodworking since I was a high school senior, but I've got enough space now to begin and I'd like to get to a point eventually where I can make a few pieces of furniture for the house. From some basic home construction we've done around the house, I have a contractor-style portable table saw and a miter saw, as well as an orbital sander and handheld router. However, I don't have the budget for a big dust collection system at the moment, and I'm hesitant to pick up any other powered equipment without dust collection and a fan to move some air out the back door.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about starting with hand tools. Has anyone tried to make a Paul Sellers style workbench? Is that as straightforward as he makes it seem given the youtube series, or does the fact that he's got 50 years of experience let him gloss over some of the issues that will trip me up?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
As always, I have to chime in and say the nicholson bench by Siemsen/Schwarz is, imo, a better bench for the same effort. There are also plans for a knockdown version available.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
That's great, thank you. I'll look into it - really the only reason I was planning on the Sellers table was the fairly in-depth explanation of how to build it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I've always thought the Nicholson was really neat, although it's not totally clear to me why the longer skirt. Doesn't that interfere with top-down clamping? Or is the idea that you're getting clamping from the dogs/middle batten such that you never need to do top down clamping?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Trabant posted:

It really does sound tempting, if beyond my skillset. But that's how we grow, right? Keep your ambition greater than your abilities :v:
Nah man I'm sure you can pull it off. The epoxy bit just involves pouring tinted epoxy into the wood and sanding flush after it's fully cured.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePc7DPcqGhQ

The stuff with crushed stone is pretty similar, only you pack the crushed stone into the cracks and then put the super thin CA glue on top. It flows down and holds everything in place and then you just sand flush again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qPWU-96mY4

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Tim Thomas posted:

I've always thought the Nicholson was really neat, although it's not totally clear to me why the longer skirt. Doesn't that interfere with top-down clamping? Or is the idea that you're getting clamping from the dogs/middle batten such that you never need to do top down clamping?

Top down clamping is accomplished with holdfasts.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Is a $150 bandsaw too good to be true? On a scale from 1 to band-snapping-and-ripping-my-face-off, how bad is it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Cheap bandsaws exist, and are cheap. I have no experience with that one but I wouldn't expect it to be very good.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Spazz posted:

Is a $150 bandsaw too good to be true? On a scale from 1 to band-snapping-and-ripping-my-face-off, how bad is it?
From the Q&A section it doesn't come with a rip fence, and I'd wager the blade guides are not bearings but just simple deals that contact the blade with a screw adjustment.

This is the one I'm looking at getting as soon as I can drop the cash. It's listed cheaper on Sears than amazon, where it's closer to $280. The reviews I've seen of it have been positive too.
http://www.sears.com/wen-10-inch-two-speed-band-saw-with/p-00950627000P

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Not sure about that band saw, but I have a small Delta that's around the same size.

The biggest issues I find with a small bandsaw are the very underpowered motor, and it can be really hard to cut straight and get proper tension. Though the later could be due to me sucking.
I've broken a couple blades on mine from working it too hard.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Find a pre-90's delta or Rockwell 14"-er if your goal is to spend the least but still have a good bandsaw.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Spazz posted:

On a scale from 1 to band-snapping-and-ripping-my-face-off, how bad is it?

Bandsaws do not do this when their blades break. Not at all.

Small benchtop bandsaws generally suck in my opinion.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Yeah blades breaking are more startling than anything. The blade generally stops immediately, usually stuck in your wood, but its accompanied with a loud bang that freaks you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Spazz posted:

I agree with GEMorris. Small band saws are pretty much all the same except for cosmetic differences.