Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does STO still require that you pay real money for every single decent ship class?

Yup.

Welp. Voyager still sucks balls but the Doctor is the best so I'm sticking it out for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, you can earn the 'real money' in-game but it used to be fairly easy. The exchange rate has quadrupled lately because they're poo poo at game design. I still have a bunch left over from before, happily. And they still give away top-tier ships at summer/winter, thankfully.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am a bit out of date. I was thinking of giving the console version a whirl here soon.

I'm on my 6th episode of Voyager and sweet baby jesus this show is just cringeworthy most of the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Subyng posted:

That's probably the only good design that has ever come out of STO.

All the TOS ships are pretty good.

And a few golden oldies looking good:

You can get their reinterpretation of the probert ambassador too.

There's quite a few other ships that haven't been posted I like from STO, to be honest. Their design game has certainly stepped up a bit from launch.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I picked up all seven seasons of DS9 at an estate sale for $40 yesterday.

They also had all seven seasons of Voyager, not too sure about the price. Think it's worth getting, even though I consider Voyager the worst of the franchise?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

There's quite a few other ships that haven't been posted I like from STO, to be honest. Their design game has certainly stepped up a bit from launch.

Seriously, am I the only one who can't get over the puffy nipples? Is it just me

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Give me a Trek from another powers point of view with Starfleet as these assholes antagonizing people through being uptight dinks. Like, where's the Romulan Trek? Or even a show back in the Delta Quadrant, showing how Voyager totally hosed up their lives and the legends around them somehow.

From a few pages back, but can you imagine how great that could be? Like a serious, hard hitting show set 100% in the Romulan Empire with good guys and bad guys, all Romulan? That made you CARE about their lives, families, intrigues, and politics? Plotting, murders, love. Like Man In The High Castle, where you find yourself feeling weird for like a Japanese Empire official or American Nazi guy, because there's shades of grey and everyone is humanized. That would be an amazing show.

Also the Excelsior Class rules. gently caress the hatas. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

From a few pages back, but can you imagine how great that could be? Like a serious, hard hitting show set 100% in the Romulan Empire with good guys and bad guys, all Romulan? That made you CARE about their lives, families, intrigues, and politics? Plotting, murders, love. Like Man In The High Castle, where you find yourself feeling weird for like a Japanese Empire official or American Nazi guy, because there's shades of grey and everyone is humanized. That would be an amazing show.

I've heard the Rihannsu novels are like that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Woah woah woah.

Back up.

How did you get STO to run instead of hanging at the loading screen?

Run it in safe mode from the launcher.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

WickedHate posted:

I've heard the Rihannsu novels are like that.

They are, and the second (best) one is peak "that" AND the author can write good McCoy dialogue (almost no one can do that).

Also, there's a John Byrne miniseries that got collected as a TPB about the Romulans that's a little more...TOS? Theatrical? I Claudius? something I'm not finding the words for, but it's also good.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

MikeJF posted:

All of these are loving hideous. They even make the Daedelus look homely.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Did they make the Daedelus model out of a can of shaving cream, a tennis ball and some cigar tubes? The shape is amateurish compared to basically every other design in the history of the franchise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really like the Daedelus as a pre-TOS design.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It looks like someone promised to their child that they could help out with a design but then ran out of time to submit the actual version.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Baka-nin posted:

I had fun with the PS2 game about Sulu and the Excelsior being stuck in the Mirror universe. You got to fly around having dog fights in evil versions of TOS episodes.

Yes, I had this, and had totally forgotten until just now. That was a pretty fun game. Shattered Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBneHQtock

Takei clearly loving the chance to be Captain Sulu again. He even gets to say the opening monologue.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Seriously, am I the only one who can't get over the puffy nipples? Is it just me
I was thinking almost-prolapsed puckered anus

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I know this isn't the movie thread, and I'm sure this was posted long ago, but Rihanna going full gay-club spacediva on the Star Trek: Beyond planet is like super-stimuli for me. A camp-cheese classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhIT4MpRis

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 13, 2016

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
why are the swarm ships so tiny in the rihannaverse

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wowbagger2004 posted:

why are the swarm ships so tiny in the rihannaverse

Rihanna is 50 feet tall.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
On the subject of video games, was DS9: Harbinger a slow buggy piece of crap, or was it just my mid-90s computer not being able to handle it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Astroman posted:

Also the Excelsior Class rules. gently caress the hatas. :colbert:

What if it was like the end of Unification. All these Romulans getting ready to do something really important for the Empire. Then at the end, they are found out by the other side or whatever and the BoP excort casually blows up their transport and heads home.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark One posted:

Did they make the Daedelus model out of a can of shaving cream, a tennis ball and some cigar tubes? The shape is amateurish compared to basically every other design in the history of the franchise.

It's also based more or less directly on a concept sketch Matt Jeffries did back in the 1960s when he was designing the Enterprise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zaroff posted:

On the subject of video games, was DS9: Harbinger a slow buggy piece of crap, or was it just my mid-90s computer not being able to handle it?

No, it was just forged in the deepest pits of Hell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's with the dumb use of Voyager long toilet-seat saucers?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If Voyager had longer nacelles on elevated struts it wouldn't look too bad, it's the dinky Galaxy-esque nacelles that give it a bad profile. The early prototype model, while hideous and overly-busy, has a much better overall silhouette and would have been a better choice.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

FilthyImp posted:

What's with the dumb use of Voyager long toilet-seat saucers?

They go faster, since they're more aerodynamic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If Voyager had longer nacelles on elevated struts it wouldn't look too bad, it's the dinky Galaxy-esque nacelles that give it a bad profile. The early prototype model, while hideous and overly-busy, has a much better overall silhouette and would have been a better choice.

This one? I loved this look! If Voyager had looked like this, I'd be very happy.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The_Doctor posted:

This one? I loved this look! If Voyager had looked like this, I'd be very happy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I've never liked those nacelles or the big docking port thing on top of the engineering hull though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

So very well-suited to archaeology missions, then.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I've never liked those nacelles or the big docking port thing on top of the engineering hull though.

Probably would have been improved by a few more passes, of course, if they'd selected that as the basis for the final design.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Okay I played STO at launch and I have 0 memory of any of those ugly rear end ships y'all say were. Most were just redesigns of existing classes, except for the admiral level ships which got a bit goofy. But nothing as bad as those pictures

I'm sure they EXIST I'm just also pretty sure they weren't launch designs.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 13, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played the beta is it was kind of fun because all the ships were somewhat normal.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I played ST:O for a bit, decided it would take too long to rank up to the point where I can purchase a Galaxy-class ship then quit.

It's a shame there was never an adventure-style TNG game that was any good. I would love to be proven wrong, I haven't delved very deeply into the subject.

e: was this good?

http://www.giantbomb.com/star-trek-the-next-generation-a-final-unity/3030-8028/

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Yes it was. 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites were also very good but were TOS.

There were also a couple other console only games for TNG but were not traditional adventure games.

Evek fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 13, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I played 25th Anniversary when I was a kid and enjoyed it. Anyone know a legit way to get my hands on A Final Unity?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It's available on several abandonware sites.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

lol at the windows with a view of nothing but the back of a nacelle

I think it looks more like an overgrown shuttle, somehow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The USS Shoehorn

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

What if it was like the end of Unification. All these Romulans getting ready to do something really important for the Empire. Then at the end, they are found out by the other side or whatever and the BoP excort casually blows up their transport and heads home.
Yeah I think this is what a lot of Romulan stuff would be like. While I would perhaps be interested in seeing an arc or something about Klingons, or Romulans, I think that an entire series from the perspective of "here are the super cool backstabbing guys, all in funky makeup, who oppose the people who include humanity and are historically at least well-meaning, and this is going to really catch fire" would probably only catch fire in the sense of the dumpster catching fire before it sinks into the swamp and becomes the site of the future Babylon 5.

What makes the Klingons and the Romulans cool is the contrast here, and we have not had the contrasting example on television for like fifteen years, if we date it from the end of Voyager. I also have the feeling that the Romulans would pall, badly, if they were put front and center for an extended period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

It's available on several abandonware sites.

Nice, thanks.