Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Grozz Nuy posted:

Maybe I'll try getting back into Overwatch. I haven't played since the competitive ladder launched, maybe that weeded out all the tryhards from the standard mode and made it more fun to just jump in and play without trying to organize and coordinate a team.

My gripe with Overwatch as it is right now is all the 'tryhards' are in competitive but that leaves quick play full of people who constantly pick the worst heroes for the situation and refuse to help the team out. Two of the worst extremes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

http://webm.land/media/tmp/514bdf99-9c7e-4741-9747-ffefbaa1eb9c.webm

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Welp time to spend the rest of Saturday applying for work and then tomorrow working at my lovely retail job instead of playing Stronghold all weekend or something which is what I would rather be doing :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

which stronghold. stronghold crusader hopefully. because stronghold crusader rules

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mak0rz posted:

Welp time to spend the rest of Saturday applying for work and then tomorrow working at my lovely retail job instead of playing Stronghold all weekend or something which is what I would rather be doing :(

Best of luck on your job hunt! Video games will still be here when you find a job you don't hate.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Starlow is really goddamned mean to luigi in paper jam and nobody calls her out on that poo poo :( Like you'd think after 2 games of Luigi showing he can be more than competent in front of her and learning that he was instrumental to winning in the past you'd think she'd stop being such a jackass :\

For some reason there is a Japanese character trope to have someone be an annoying piece of poo poo and that is the entire "joke". It doesn't translate to western audiences at all, we just hate them.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Had to put down AM2r for a bit because i"m like why did you decide to make the mega missile a tedious rear end thing to do and make me fight a goddamn metroid in goddamn lava.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oddium posted:

which stronghold. stronghold crusader hopefully. because stronghold crusader rules

The original one, which is almost as good as Crusader. I don't have Crusader yet.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Best of luck on your job hunt! Video games will still be here when you find a job you don't hate.

Shindragon posted:

make the mega missile a tedious rear end thing to do and make me fight a goddamn metroid in goddamn lava.

I have no idea what you are talking about? :confused:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you're running around under lava and don't have the gravity suit you hosed up

But they still suck to fight yes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally got around to finishing House of the Dying Sun's campaign. I uh, don't think I quite realized what "... and bring ruin to their people" meant until that last mission. I feel dirty :(

I also realized how loving good VR Freespace 2 would be and now I'm sad that it will never be

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Finally got around to finishing House of the Dying Sun's campaign. I uh, don't think I quite realized what "... and bring ruin to their people" meant until that last mission. I feel dirty :(

I also realized how loving good VR Freespace 2 would be and now I'm sad that it will never be

Someone will probably make a mod for open free space you know

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

One of the metroids I have to fight is on lava. Not under the lava. Hahah god no. Just the little platforms made it a pain in the rear end.

Also the Mega missle I meant Super Missile. :v:

Did not like that section at all.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

101 posted:

My gripe with Overwatch as it is right now is all the 'tryhards' are in competitive but that leaves quick play full of people who constantly pick the worst heroes for the situation and refuse to help the team out. Two of the worst extremes

The latter is my experience with Competitive. It's also my experience with Quick Play.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Someone will probably make a mod for open free space you know

Microsoft will sue to keep their dead franchises dead.

Really, go look at their franchise list, it's an amazing graveyard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm officially too stupid and wussy to play Bravely Default. Remember how I sajd the normal encounters weren't challenging? Well I'm on chapter 2 now, and I get sleeped, paralyzed, and charmed before I eve get to act. I don't understand the initiative, and even with a time mage slowing down the enemies, they still get to act first.

I just dont understand a lot of the damage calculation/defense mechanics. I think im doing good cause I hit refular enemies for 200-400 damage, and then I go into the next room to fight the boss and I hit for 60. I dont know how to take down a boss that 2 shots any of my party while I have to hit them literally a hundred times, and they get to act first, so whatever plan I come up with on my turn immediately goes to poo poo when they kill or confuse the least convenient person.

Like, do I need to be upgrading my gear more? New armor barely increases defense, so I rarely bother with, but I don't understand how damage is calculated, so maybe it's really important?

I also cant figure out if characters have stats independent of their jobs? If some characters are better suited for some jobs than others, that would make a lot of sense, but changing jobs seems to just change the character's stats, so...

Edit: the only Final Fantasy games I've played are 7 and Tactics, and this feels so much harder than either of them.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 13, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

I'm officially too stupid and wussy to play Bravely Default. Remember how I sajd the normal encounters weren't challenging? Well I'm on chapter 2 now, and I get sleeped, paralyzed, and charmed before I eve get to act. I don't understand the initiative, and even with a time mage slowing down the enemies, they still get to act first.

I just dont understand a lot of the damage calculation/defense mechanics. I think im doing good cause I hit refular enemies for 200-400 damage, and then I go into the next room to fight the boss and I hit for 60. I dont know how to take down a boss that 2 shots any of my party while I have to hit them literally a hundred times, and they get to act first, so whatever plan I come up with on my turn immediately goes to poo poo when they kill or confuse the least convenient person.

Like, do I need to be upgrading my gear more? New armor barely increases defense, so I rarely bother with, but I don't understand how damage is calculated, so maybe it's really important?

I also cant figure out if characters have stats independent of their jobs? If some characters are better suited for some jobs than others, that would make a lot of sense, but changing jobs seems to just change the character's stats, so...

Edit: the only Final Fantasy games I've played are 7 and Tactics, and this feels so much harder than either of them.

What sort of jobs are you using? Are you upgrading your gear?

Your job levels do determine your stats to some degree. (This is massively reduced in Bravely Second). Characters have variations in stats but this is extremely minor unless you're super minmaxing and even then speed is the only really relevant one. Anyone can be anything.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

What sort of jobs are you using? Are you upgrading your gear?

Your job levels do determine your stats to some degree. (This is massively reduced in Bravely Second). Characters have variations in stats but this is extremely minor unless you're super minmaxing and even then speed is the only really relevant one. Anyone can be anything.

This is my current job setup (Job/Job Command)

Tiz - Spell Fencer / Chivalry
Edea - Freelancer / White Magic
Agnes - Knight / White Magic
Ringabel - Black Mage / Time Magic

Agnes is my main healer, she's temporarily a knight because wanted to get ally protect. But she's the one with lvl3 white magic.

Ringabel is the only one who has a prayer of acting before enemies, and depending on the enemy, its still 50/50.

Gear is a mixed bag. A lot of the upgrades are tiny. Like why would I buy gear that's 1-2 points better?

Edit: And I just don't have a feel for level appropriateness. Like I saw a video of the boss I was stuck on, and the first thing I noticed was that they were 5 levels higher than me and and 1400hp instead of 800. So maybe I'm not leveling enough between bosses? I fuckin destroyed the last boss on my first attempt, so I thought I was overlevelled, and then I walked into chapter 2 and the game just got twice as hard.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That "There is a new post! HAHA JUST KIDDING" thing is bothering me so i'm posting to fix it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Microsoft will sue to keep their dead franchises dead.

Really, go look at their franchise list, it's an amazing graveyard.

yes i am sure microsoft is allowed to sue over a mod for an opensource project???????

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RimWorld:

A trade caravan from one of the friendly factions came to visit my colony, about five people and their pack animals. While we were trading, a couple of wargs (basically huge wolves) with a taste for human flesh appeared on the outskirts of the map, and ran straight for us. I bailed immediately, of course, and ran indoors, leaving the caravan to fend for itself. To their credit, they managed to take one out despite being in an awful tactical position, trapped with their back to a stone wall, but the remaining warg tore through them. I rallied my own colonists and flanked it, gunning it down without sustaining any injuries.

All but two of the caravaneers had died. And those two were in awful shape. Both were in extreme agony, having the usual cuts and bruises you'd expect, but one was missing his nose and one of his ears, while the other had an entire hand bitten off. I had the beds and the medicine to spare, so I carried them to my infirmary. Their pack animals were dead, too, so I turned those into meat and leather. I also stole all of the clothing and weapons the dead traders had on them.

Then I was struck with a moral quandary... One of my own colonists had a missing lung, having lost it in a gunfight with some raiders a few days prior to this. It had severely weakened her, as one might expect. And here were two pairs of perfectly good lungs, albeit currently encased in the torsos of caravaneers. So picked the one who got off easy, the one with both his hands intact, and started the operation.

Well, my colonists weren't to happy about it, but it worked. Once everyone recovered, I sent the two caravaneers on their way, and the town that had sent them in the first place were grateful. It was a very profitable trade mission

So that's my story

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

RimWorld:

A trade caravan from one of the friendly factions came to visit my colony, about five people and their pack animals. While we were trading, a couple of wargs (basically huge wolves) with a taste for human flesh appeared on the outskirts of the map, and ran straight for us. I bailed immediately, of course, and ran indoors, leaving the caravan to fend for itself. To their credit, they managed to take one out despite being in an awful tactical position, trapped with their back to a stone wall, but the remaining warg tore through them. I rallied my own colonists and flanked it, gunning it down without sustaining any injuries.

All but two of the caravaneers had died. And those two were in awful shape. Both were in extreme agony, having the usual cuts and bruises you'd expect, but one was missing his nose and one of his ears, while the other had an entire hand bitten off. I had the beds and the medicine to spare, so I carried them to my infirmary. Their pack animals were dead, too, so I turned those into meat and leather. I also stole all of the clothing and weapons the dead traders had on them.

Then I was struck with a moral quandary... One of my own colonists had a missing lung, having lost it in a gunfight with some raiders a few days prior to this. It had severely weakened her, as one might expect. And here were two pairs of perfectly good lungs, albeit currently encased in the torsos of caravaneers. So picked the one who got off easy, the one with both his hands intact, and started the operation.

Well, my colonists weren't to happy about it, but it worked. Once everyone recovered, I sent the two caravaneers on their way, and the town that had sent them in the first place were grateful. It was a very profitable trade mission

So that's my story

Sold.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did someone make a pokemon game where you can catch those weird fused pokemon things yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Did someone make a pokemon game where you can catch those weird fused pokemon things yet.

iirc someone is indeed making that but uranium is done now and i am playing it

it even has wonder trade though the servers are down atm cause of traffic

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

corn in the bible posted:

iirc someone is indeed making that but uranium is done now and i am playing it

it even has wonder trade though the servers are down atm cause of traffic

Is Uranium good?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The international has been super loving hype this year, give the grand finals a watch if you have the slightest interest in mobas. This is the one time us dota players can pity the non-doters :negative:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mak0rz posted:

Is Uranium good?

Yeah I kinda want to know this as well. Seems like there's some hype around it but that might just be because it's Pokémon on PC without emulators

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Is Uranium good?

no. no

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I guess I just don't consider the metroid battles "bosses." They were tedious (true to the original), but I had a blast with all of the non-metroid bosses.

Yeah, especially the space jump fight. That was awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Is Uranium good?

No

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

is it actually bad then cause i have only gone to first gym so i cant really judge

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

RimWorld:

So that's my story

So is this like Dwarf Fortress meets Space Station 13 or something because i'm confused

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also if so, is it as horrifyingly obtuse as Dwarf Fortress

Haven't touched that since basically Boatmurdered

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rimjob World

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Never played Dwarf Fortress, but RimWorld took me about an hour to get the hang of, though to be fair I also watched a few YouTube videos to get some ideas

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Apparently we weren't supposed to have uploaded the super special Kirby Cafe Soundtrack online.

Edit: I was wondering who exactly filed the strikes and looking at this it wasn't by NOA or NCL but 株式会社ハル研究所, or via Google Translate, The Hull Institute.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 14, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

You did it dfo, good job

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

You did it dfo, good job

I've got an M Mech up to 62 and he is basically the :torgue: of korean MMO beat em ups

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I've got an M Mech up to 62

That was fast

Also, somehow, I'm the only person to make a character named "Chracter"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

That was fast

Also, somehow, I'm the only person to make a character named "Chracter"

that event stacked with the weekend bonuses are a hell of a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just bought Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost

This is the most I have been excited to play a game in a long long time.

There are still more Gundam games I want to buy. I am... a true nerd

• Locked thread