Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

So, a couple days ago, Minnesota had its primaries, and the Republicans of the second district chose talk radio host Jason Lewis. If that name sounds familiar, it's because he compared gay marriage to slavery and said that the federal government has no right to regulate either.

So there is a literal pro-slavery candidate running for Congress in a solidly Republican district.

On the plus side, this seems like a guaranteed Democrat pickup (the incumbent, a Republican, is retiring this year). But still :stonk:

It's very much a purple district (went to Obama in 2012)... but the plus side is that it gives all sorts of fun ammo to Minnesota Dems looking to twist the knife on their counterparts this year.

MNGOP Deputy Chair Chris Fields, in February posted:

Provocative comments like that demonstrate ignorance, a lack of sensitivity, and they exacerbate the racial divisions in America[, and] are contradictory to the values Republicans share and principles the party was founded upon

MNGOP Deputy Chair Chris Fields, in August posted:

During our endorsement process, Republican activists concluded Jason Lewis is uniquely qualified to fight for working families and seniors. I wholeheartedly stand by their decision without reservation. I firmly believe the District does not need Angie Craig, an out of touch liberal who will only stand with Hillary Clinton. Minnesotans need Jason Lewis because he will always stand with Minnesotans!

Will the last one with a spine please turn off the lights on the way out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

Somehow, living in a metropolitan area in Maine with a considerable population of Somali immigrants (both Black and Muslim) that passes through years without a racist shooting incident - suddenly feels very comfortable (in terms of multiculturalism) compared to the frequent bullshit going on in the south and midwest right now.

That's because white people in Maine are still too much in shock at seeing a black person in the flesh they haven't fallen back on their natural impulse yet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, he will always stand with Minnesotans, but if the market dictates that doesn't mean he'd object to enslaving them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

He will always stand with his Minnesotan slaves at the auction house.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

I'd vote for her if it came out that all 32 people that crazy people claim she murdered, she actually did. Because the alternative is Donald Trump.

Hell, that'd make me more likely to vote for her. No way a stone-cold killer like that is going to back down when put up against Vladimir Putin.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Pakled posted:

So, a couple days ago, Minnesota had its primaries, and the Republicans of the second district chose talk radio host Jason Lewis. If that name sounds familiar, it's because he compared gay marriage to slavery and said that the federal government has no right to regulate either.

So there is a literal pro-slavery candidate running for Congress in a solidly Republican district.

On the plus side, this seems like a guaranteed Democrat pickup (the incumbent, a Republican, is retiring this year). But still :stonk:

It's not a pro-slavery argument, it's an anti-gay marriage argument. I've seen the same thing used against abortion. It's saying you can't stand by and let gays get married just like you can't stand by and let slavery happen. I mean he's still human filth but he's not (openly) pro-slavery.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No, read the whole article. He's your standard lost cause "Lincoln was in the wrong for invading the Confederacy because they asserted their states rights!" dipshit. He would be totally fine with slavery still existing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

I honestly don't know how Phoenix has avoided anything going down. Even our recent big BLM marches that went "bad" weren't anything to write home about compared to other large cities.

Because it's too loving hot out for things to go really really bad

Can you imagine setting poo poo on fire when it's 120 out, with a low of 110? Even the other protestors would be like "dude what the gently caress are you thinking, it's hot enough out here and you want to make it hotter? Put the lighter down you dumbfuck."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've noticed that there's billboards from both Castle megastore and Hustler in Phoenix.

Hustler's slogan is "Summer just got hotter"
Castle's is "If you can't stand the heat, stay in the bedroom."

I don't know about anyone else, but when I see "Summer just got hotter" I'm like "gently caress no!"

Edit: Thought this was the Phoenix thread.
Both stores sell lingerie and other stuff
Hustler is a newcomer in the area, they just opened a new store.
Castle has been around for a long time.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

gfsincere posted:

Funny story; the law I convicted under got thrown out as unconstitutional by the Texas Supreme Court in 2012 as unconstitutional. Yet I can't get it off my relied. Been trying for 2 years now.

Are you going for a pardon or an expunction?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If Trump backs out of the debates, I hope hillary sets aside a chunk of money for ordering large amounts of orange chicken to where Trump is until november 8th. It would be amazing.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Elmnt80 posted:

If Trump backs out of the debates, I hope hillary sets aside a chunk of money for ordering large amounts of orange chicken to where Trump is until november 8th. It would be amazing.

Panda Express would probably pay for the publicity.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/764702384677355520

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/764702991391854592

I hate my county sometimes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hell you could probably make it a goon project

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Elmnt80 posted:

Wouldn't be the first time a Clinton used a chicken gimmick.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

For gently caress sake Milwaukee

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
Trump has only one debate strategy, stick to the script, stay aloof, and harp on Benghazi. As long as he isn't entertaining, viewership won't be there and damage can be somewhat mitigated. He is woefully unprepared to spar on national policy or geo-political intricacies. I don't think anyone sees the debates as a chance for him to gain ground.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

iospace posted:

A lot of them want V8 power, which the police chargers are. Rental Spec chargers are usually V6s. Tauruses are Twin Turbo V6s which make 350+ HP, but it's ~not a V8~, so whatever (it's also AWD, no clue if the Charger is though).
We are POLICE!
(POLICE)
Kama crazee POLICE!
(POLICE)
Fuku Shima Kama Crazee POLICE!

Locked up!

Today we're enforcing CASTE LINE!
(CASTE LINE)
Today we're enforcing PROPERTY!
(PROPERTY)
And today we're enforcing LYNCH LAW!
(LYNCH LAW)

(Chant degenerates into "TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP")

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nessus posted:

We are POLICE!
(POLICE)
Kama crazee POLICE!
(POLICE)
Fuku Shima Kama Crazee POLICE!

Locked up!

Today we're enforcing CASTE LINE!
(CASTE LINE)
Today we're enforcing PROPERTY!
(PROPERTY)
And today we're enforcing LYNCH LAW!
(LYNCH LAW)

(Chant degenerates into "TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP")
*Quote saved for future usage*

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

This is MY Milwaukee!

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

aellisr posted:

Trump has only one debate strategy, stick to the script, stay aloof, and harp on Benghazi. As long as he isn't entertaining, viewership won't be there and damage can be somewhat mitigated. He is woefully unprepared to spar on national policy or geo-political intricacies. I don't think anyone sees the debates as a chance for him to gain ground.

The entertainment is going to be hillary burrowing through his abdomen and laying her eggs in his corpse.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

computer parts posted:

Wouldn't be the first time a Clinton used a chicken gimmick.

It would probably be the first time a presidential nominee made fun of her opponent AND fed his support staff when he "forgets" about paying them though. :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Indianapolis is pretty red lined in my opinion. Is anybody familiar enough with both cities to tell me how Milwaukee ranks in terms of Indianapolises so I have a reference as to how segregated it is?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grouchio posted:

*Quote saved for future usage*
*Eric Trump lowers the spyglass and turns around in his hosed up sling chair.*

Dad... your vets ain't going to Trump Tower.

*Cut to EXTERIOR: NORTH CAROLINA WASTELANDS*

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Epic High Five posted:

Indianapolis is pretty red lined in my opinion. Is anybody familiar enough with both cities to tell me how Milwaukee ranks in terms of Indianapolises so I have a reference as to how segregated it is?

Isn't Milwaukee literally the most segregated city in America?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

^It's Milwaukee, Chicago, or Detroit, depending on the metrics you use, but those three are always the top three.

Epic High Five posted:

Googling around various studies and lists it looks like Milwaukee is anywhere from ~30% more to twice as segregated as Indy, depending on how exactly you measure segregation.

FWIW, Indy is a bit worse than average nationally, which makes it not actually all that bad by Rust Belt standards. Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Cleveland wreck the hell out of that curve.

Theris fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 14, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bushiz posted:

Assange has been promising that he's got a huge stash of information that would bring down EVERYTHING and he's just waiting for the right moment to send it out basically since the day anyone heard of him.

Does anyone have a list of these non-events handy? It might come in handy the next time someone I know brings up Wikileaks.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Elmnt80 posted:

If Trump backs out of the debates, Elizabeth Warren will make fun of him on Twitter for being afraid of a girl, and it will be glorious.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

meristem posted:

If Trump backs out of the debates, Elizabeth Warren will make fun of him on Twitter for being afraid of a girl, and it will be glorious.

You just lost a debate! To a GIRL!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

citybeatnik posted:

Are you going for a pardon or an expunction?

Pardon based on you know, the law being thrown out. Funny thing, if I hadn't taken a plea deal for 1 year prison time and had to do 5-10, I would have been let out and had it erased while in prison.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

This is MY Milwaukee!

Chicago still has them beat as the most segregated city in America though, by far.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

DemeaninDemon posted:

You just lost a debate! To a GIRL!

Lost a debate by being too scared to show up! SAD!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

Chicago still has them beat as the most segregated city in America though, by far.

Driving in much of Milwaukee literally feels like being in a dying wasteland though. I can't even imagine what Detroit looks like in person.

I say dying and don't really mean the people, more so than the urban decay. The abandoned factories and warehouses are really eerie.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I can't even imagine what Detroit looks like in person.

I'm not from Detroit, but the few times that I drove through it there were stretches of highway where most of the buildings had broken out windows. It was depressing as gently caress

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Living within walking distance of 8 Mile, the best way to explain it is inhabited islands of activity among a sea of an abandoned urban hellscape that you occasionally see as you pass it on the freeway.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

Driving in much of Milwaukee literally feels like being in a dying wasteland though. I can't even imagine what Detroit looks like in person.

I say dying and don't really mean the people, more so than the urban decay. The abandoned factories and warehouses are really eerie.

This is true. I know so many people that GTFO of Milwaukee and moved to the northern suburbs of Chicago for that reason. Honestly, broken windows theory on paper (and the implementation that NYC used) seems racist as gently caress, but then you see what it's actually addressing and attempting to prevent happening in the case of Milwaukee and Detroit, and it makes you say "I get it, but y'all still racist as gently caress, but I get it"

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

33rd Degree Idiot posted:

AKA, "if you're under 30 you're poo poo don't matter."

There are more elections than the presidential. I'm under 30 and voted in more than the last 3 elections.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

There are more elections than the presidential. I'm under 30 and voted in more than the last 3 elections.

Thanks.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm 27 ; I voted in 2008 and 2012 , but ignored everything else because lol, Texas gerrymander, and showing up for the presidential vote was just my way of spitting at the GOP for hatreds sake.

Then I voted in 2014 because my sisters begged me to vote for Wendy Davis , and 2015 after goons convinced me that so few people vote in off years that it really did matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

aellisr posted:

lol. The first debate (if Trump bothers to show) is going to be on par with the Super Bowl and the M*A*S*H finale in terms of viewership. And nobody will escape the highlight reel afterward.

• Locked thread