Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sometimes I wish I wasn't as moral as I was, so I could create games like this and sell them to morons guilt-free. I imagine the profit margin is pretty high (assuming you can actually produce the drat thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Holy poo poo, everyone should check out the full-size pdf of the gameboard. It's loving amazing. The page keeps on giving and giving.

I lost my football pool! If only I was on welfare, I could have had 3 or 4 kids out of wedlock by now!

"A welfare recipient in Baltimore, for example, is on record as having 22 out-of-wedlock children, all by the age of 32." I did the math on this and it turns out that this totally real person started getting pregnant when she was 14 and never went more than a month after birth before getting pregnant again. A true medical marvel!

Apparently you can get $200 for fixing a little league game??

But the thing that made me laugh the hardest is the date. This game was made in 2009, the year Obama took office. That Obozo sure works fast!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sometimes I wish I wasn't as moral as I was, so I could create games like this and sell them to morons guilt-free. I imagine the profit margin is pretty high (assuming you can actually produce the drat thing).

But do they actually sell? It doesn't seem like PC Police is going to make its 10k pledge goal, nor is A Jew Etc. I'm sure that some people out there would totally impulse buy stuff like this but anecdotally it doesn't seem like the market for Dogwhistles: the Game is actually all that robust. James Desborough for example, who among other things made the Gamergate game which got pulled from DTRPG, has a Patreon. Guess how much he gets a month from like minded supporters interested in supporting his bold and visionary style?

$53.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'd like $53 free every month just to be James Desb...you know what, nevermind.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sure, $53 a month ain't nothing, but you see what I'm saying. It doesn't seem like people are turning out in force to support projects of this stripe.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Kai Tave posted:

But do they actually sell? It doesn't seem like PC Police is going to make its 10k pledge goal, nor is A Jew Etc. I'm sure that some people out there would totally impulse buy stuff like this but anecdotally it doesn't seem like the market for Dogwhistles: the Game is actually all that robust. James Desborough for example, who among other things made the Gamergate game which got pulled from DTRPG, has a Patreon. Guess how much he gets a month from like minded supporters interested in supporting his bold and visionary style?

$53.

Alternatively, they're just poo poo at advertising/exploiting things long-term. They start the shitstorms, but they don't manage or monetize them. There was a few gamergate crowdfund projects that ended predictably clownshoes terrible, but there was a significant amount of money solely due to timing and then-current levels of nonsense outrage.

I'm with EM on this one: There's money to be made, but you have to be either completely amoral or actively immoral to pull it off just due to how much active harvesting of people's lovely racist, sexist, homophobic, etc beliefs. Just typing this post is making me feel like I'm too close to the poop, though, so I'm going to stop.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm not convinced the data supports the hypothesis that there is a significant market for that type of product.

Alternatively, it could be that the market doesn't exist where the consumers/patreons are registered online.

$53 a month is nothing. I've known web comic artists who have been publicly active for less than a year pulling down $300 a month on Patreon for slice of life comics.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Imagine if Milo Yiannopoulos decided to start a Patreon or make a Kickstarted game about ... whatever he believes in.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm not convinced the data supports the hypothesis that there is a significant market for that type of product.

Alternatively, it could be that the market doesn't exist where the consumers/patreons are registered online.

$53 a month is nothing. I've known web comic artists who have been publicly active for less than a year pulling down $300 a month on Patreon for slice of life comics.

I mean hell, the Dresden Codak guy makes 50 grand a month for not even making a comic at all :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hm it's so interesting. One of those welfare cards involves screaming 'racism' over not getting a job (even though you, as a welfare boy, were foolish to want one to begin with and never REALLY wanted to get the job). It's so odd, though, because the drawings are all of a generic stock white guy. It's so weird that a white guy would 'shout racism' to get his way...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's not all that weird as it turns out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I hope one of the player markers is a dog whistle.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Kai Tave posted:

I mean hell, the Dresden Codak guy makes 50 grand a month for not even making a comic at all :v:

What.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Diaz's patreon pulls in $4686 a month, which is a funding level with "A guaranteed Dresden Codak comic every other week!"

That... that doesn't actually happen, though. It's more like once a month.

(Dunno where Kai Tave gets the 50 grand figure; that's an order of magnitude off of the patreon.)

Also, fantastic avatar/post combo, Slimnoid.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

inklesspen posted:

(Dunno where Kai Tave gets the 50 grand figure; that's an order of magnitude off of the patreon.)

Hyperbole, mostly. Though if Diaz really has gone up to once a month then that's an incredible improvement over the times where it's been like 3-4 updates a year.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The QC guy makes even more but he at least posts every weekday as well as having a side comic. Quality is dogshit however

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Kai Tave posted:

Hyperbole, mostly. Though if Diaz really has gone up to once a month then that's an incredible improvement over the times where it's been like 3-4 updates a year.

Does Diaz have any other job other than his pretentiously awful webcomic? Because if not I don't see why it takes him for-loving-ever to y'know, do what he's paid for.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Slimnoid posted:

Does Diaz have any other job other than his pretentiously awful webcomic? Because if not I don't see why it takes him for-loving-ever to y'know, do what he's paid for.

I haven't gone dumpster diving into DC lately, but his really serious crowdfunding efforts were unveiled with great fanfare by him quitting his day job. He immediately accrued a huge amount of dollarssuckersdollars and suckers, after which he promptly didn't update for like a few months.

I really liked some of his whimsical little one-offs, from before his brain was eaten by his waifu mouthpiece's transhuman sexah garbage philosophy.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 13, 2016

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

A friend of mine who's an even bigger fan of Dresden Codak explained to me that when Diaz works full-time on his webcomic, that's not just full-time on drawing, but also full-time managing his own advertising and spending time at the post office to make sure his biggest fans get their signed hardcopies and whatnot. I'm not saying this explains all the delays, but it's worth keeping in mind that his work doesn't just consist of sitting at home with a table in his lap working on the next page.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

I believe the excuse is that he's an artist and you can't rush his creative vision. Or maybe he doesn't have an excuse, who knows? He's making plenty of money though so he must be doing something right.

Anyway this is drifting a bit far afield from the topic. On the whole while I believe that with a certain degree of opportunism bordering on the ambulance-chasing you can effectively monetize anything...I recall that after Anita Sarkeesian crowdfunded her video series that a video series claiming to refute her assertions was concocted in protest and crowdfunded. Except the creators walked off with the money and to the best of my knowledge never produced anything. In general though I don't feel like there's actually a big crossover market between people who enjoy sitting down to play board games and people who need some form of social lubricant in order to tell you all about how Obozo's homofascist lie-beral agenda is responsible for both 9/11 and ISIS. Or perhaps it might be more accurate to say that there isn't a big crossover between people who regularly patronize Kickstarter boardgame projects and your average Trump supporter, I'm willing to believe that the average person who rants about welfare queens and food stamps in TYOOL 2016 would impulse buy Obummeropoly if it was on the shelves at some big box store in order to show it off to his buddies for a laugh, but this same demographic may not in fact be big on crowdfunding in general, let alone crowdfunding tabletop games even if those games are a paean to their own prejudices.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

I believe the excuse is that he's an artist and you can't rush his creative vision. Or maybe he doesn't have an excuse, who knows? He's making plenty of money though so he must be doing something right.

Anyway this is drifting a bit far afield from the topic. On the whole while I believe that with a certain degree of opportunism bordering on the ambulance-chasing you can effectively monetize anything...I recall that after Anita Sarkeesian crowdfunded her video series that a video series claiming to refute her assertions was concocted in protest and crowdfunded. Except the creators walked off with the money and to the best of my knowledge never produced anything. In general though I don't feel like there's actually a big crossover market between people who enjoy sitting down to play board games and people who need some form of social lubricant in order to tell you all about how Obozo's homofascist lie-beral agenda is responsible for both 9/11 and ISIS. Or perhaps it might be more accurate to say that there isn't a big crossover between people who regularly patronize Kickstarter boardgame projects and your average Trump supporter, I'm willing to believe that the average person who rants about welfare queens and food stamps in TYOOL 2016 would impulse buy Obummeropoly if it was on the shelves at some big box store in order to show it off to his buddies for a laugh, but this same demographic may not in fact be big on crowdfunding in general, let alone crowdfunding tabletop games even if those games are a paean to their own prejudices.

Well yeah, crowdfunding is communism.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
True, but I can see a fairly decent audience of Imgurians who would pay to kickstart a game about how dem feminists and SJWs are ruining everything with their trigger warnings and whatnot.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Slimnoid posted:

Bad superhero fan designs, poo poo talking Will Eisner,

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

James Desborough for example, who among other things made the Gamergate game which got pulled from DTRPG, has a Patreon. Guess how much he gets a month from like minded supporters interested in supporting his bold and visionary style?

$53.

I was going through the OSR Google+ page last week, and someone was raising a new stink about DTRPG being too politically-correct again because apparently Desborough release a game called Hentacle that also summarily got pulled off their storefront.

Some people never learn, I guess.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Diaz has also decided to take a month off from work but still collect Patreon donations before. Swell guy!

Kai Tave posted:

Except the creators walked off with the money and to the best of my knowledge never produced anything.

They did, it was just really bad and nobody watched it. :v:

Honestly I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a big tabletop Kickstarter for a game about Those Dang SJWs yet. I think various OSR people making GBS threads themselves about Feminists Online to drum up book sales proves there's a market for it even in niche spaces. Someone with actual followers launching a Kickstarter for The Free Speech Teen Panties RPG could make some mad bank.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was going through the OSR Google+ page last week, and someone was raising a new stink about DTRPG being too politically-correct again because apparently Desborough release a game called Hentacle that also summarily got pulled off their storefront.

Hentacle was one of Desborough's earlier projects actually, so that's not anything recent. It is, by the way, a Japanese schoolgirl tentacle rape themed card game, just so you know.

Ettin posted:

Honestly I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a big tabletop Kickstarter for a game about Those Dang SJWs yet. I think various OSR people making GBS threads themselves about Feminists Online to drum up book sales proves there's a market for it even in niche spaces. Someone with actual followers launching a Kickstarter for The Free Speech Teen Panties RPG could make some mad bank.

I stand corrected re: the Anti-Sarkeesian Tapes. As far as there being a market for it, ehhhhh mmmmaybe? Like it's definitely easy to get people TALKING about it, but is it easy to get them to cough up $10-30,000 for a game about it? That seems to be the trick. I agree with the sentiment that what it really needs is the right person with enough followers and clout to go for it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Diaz would probably be inoffensive if he wasn't an orobouros of self justification. Can't put out a comic more than once a month? That's fine, just say so! Want to write a comic about your sci-waifu? That's fine, just say so! Want to make bizarre insults at industry professionals? That's... not fine, but well, he could at least get two out of three if he was honest with himself.

Kai Tave posted:

Hentacle was one of Desborough's earlier projects actually, so that's not anything recent. It is, by the way, a Japanese schoolgirl tentacle rape themed card game, just so you know.

Tentacle Bento had a big banner at the Ninja Division / Soda Pop booth at GenCon, because those guys are similarly allergic to learning lessons.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was it Venger Satanis? I think he's the village idiot or mascot or something.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LatwPIAT posted:

A friend of mine who's an even bigger fan of Dresden Codak explained to me that when Diaz works full-time on his webcomic, that's not just full-time on drawing, but also full-time managing his own advertising and spending time at the post office to make sure his biggest fans get their signed hardcopies and whatnot. I'm not saying this explains all the delays, but it's worth keeping in mind that his work doesn't just consist of sitting at home with a table in his lap working on the next page.

didn't he also hit the patreon funding level to afford a personal assistant to help him with webcomic-making?

e- yeah he did

quote:

$2,000 per month – reached! I will hire a part-time assistant to handle day-to-day work beyond drawing the comic AND introduce a patreon-exclusive progress bar for each comic page.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

didn't he also hit the patreon funding level to afford a personal assistant to help him with webcomic-making?

e- yeah he did

he hired a very reliable assistant, Mr Aaron Biaz, a very hard worker who is not Aaron Diaz in a fake mustache no sir.

He also spends time tweeting about his badass martial arts abilities, which I'm sure are a full time job to maintain.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Was it Venger Satanis? I think he's the village idiot or mascot or something.
Yeah, that guy. His name always slips out of my brain because ... well, that's his name. He was also advocating for making a new DTRPG with hookers no censorship and blow no review policy.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
They're making Sharknado™: The Board Game!

Just when I was starting to like board games again. :smithicide:

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

WTDF. I don't want to sit here and fact-check this game all day, but I do want to point out that, in the "Jail Jaunt" section, you actually can't get Social Security while you're in jail. Also the game has rules for paying taxes on incomes over $5,000/yr (I think--the game says $5M-$9,980) when it looks pretty fricking impossible to net more than $100 or so on any one trip around the board (which seems to be a year). Either the ersatz community-chest/chance cards must have some huge loving payouts, or "that loving Kenyan in the White House, I'll show 'im, I'll make a hit boardgame" isn't a coherent design philosophy.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Roots of Mali just barely made their funding today, with Fr 25,193 of Fr 25,000 ($25,622 of $25,426). Sharknado™: The Board Game! has been on Kickstarter less than a day and already has $7,791 of their $49,999 goal.

And of course, Mech Command RTS has dropped down to almost 200%, with $152,443.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Roots of Mali just barely made their funding today, with Fr 25,193 of Fr 25,000 ($25,622 of $25,426).

It looks interesting enough, but I've got a whole bunch of 2p games I barely get to play already. :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Haha Mech Command just released the rules to the game two days ago. i.e., with four days left and hundreds of people already jumping ship. Good timing, guys!

e: Oh man, it's not even a PDF. It's just a gdoc.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I've got a whole bunch of 2p games I barely get to play already. :shrug:

Same, but replace "2p" with "anything more than 1 player" :negative:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Haha Mech Command just released the rules to the game two days ago. i.e., with four days left and hundreds of people already jumping ship. Good timing, guys!

:wtf:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Even if Mech Command was still Armored Core, the gameplay video really turned me off. That real-time nature just looked like a headache of "uh, I hit you / no u didn't / wait, what did i do here / ugh, i'm wasting time because i don't know what to do" arguments.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Ettin posted:

Diaz has also decided to take a month off from work but still collect Patreon donations before. Swell guy!

Wasn't the GOR rpg kickstarter supposed to be their rallying cry and it was more like a toot on a kazoo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

Wasn't the GOR rpg kickstarter supposed to be their rallying cry and it was more like a toot on a kazoo?

Oh yeah, that's what Desborough's been up to, hasn't it? Let's see...flex-funding Indiegogo campaign, always a sign of quality, barely made its base funding goal of $5,000, okay, aaaaaand the last update was seven months ago saying "we're looking at a May release date" and nothing since then, cool.