Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Trent posted:

lol at the windows with a view of nothing but the back of a nacelle

I think it looks more like an overgrown shuttle, somehow.
It's because the nacelle struts and that top circle thing are like straight-up runabout. Probably leftovers from when they were considering making Voyager a lot smaller than it ended up being, but even at that scale it kind of subconsciously makes the whole ship look smaller if you're familiar with the runabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evek posted:

There were also a couple other console only games for TNG but were not traditional adventure games.

The only TNG-era console game I can think of off the top of my head is Future's Past, which weirdly enough had a different title on the Genesis version, although I can't recall any significant differences between the two versions.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Timby posted:

The only TNG-era console game I can think of off the top of my head is Future's Past, which weirdly enough had a different title on the Genesis version, although I can't recall any significant differences between the two versions.

The Genesis version was called Echoes From The Past, and oddly enough it actually was different in several ways.

My memory sucks, but I'm pretty sure there were full dialogue trees for a lot of viewscreen conversations in the Genesis version that were for whatever dumb reason scrapped on the SNES, which meant a lot of combat was forced because you couldn't Picard your way out of battles anymore. A few of the away mission maps had alternate layouts, including the final area, which I think was completely different and/or impossible due to bad design or bugs or both. There were also some very videogamey heart-shaped health pickups and stuff on the SNES version, while I think on the Genesis you had to heal with a medical officer or just evacuate injured dudes and return with replacements. The Vulcan scientist you meet on the first mission looks completely different, like a young model on the SNES and much more elderly on the Genesis, who knows why.

Of course, the SNES lacks the kickass Yamaha soundchip in the Genesis, so that's where you gotta go if you want your Star Trek as 16-Bit as possible.

There was also a DS9 game on the Genesis (and probably the SNES too) called Crossroads of Time that was pretty good and maybe the only example of a Star Trek platformer.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 13, 2016

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Timby posted:

The other was Star Trek Generations: Beyond the Nexus for the Gameboy/Gamegear and I think it was very similar to Future's Past/Echoes from the Past.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
"OK, but what if it was Tuvok who went to warp 10?"

sciencenews.org posted:

“Dark lime green” is how biologist Zachary Rodriguez describes the blood of the Prasinohaema lizards of New Guinea and surrounding islands. “Vivid,” he adds.

With green blood comes Granny Smith-colored muscles and bones and a blue-green mouth, exposed during defensive posturing. But the strangest thing about the five species of Prasinohaema lizard is that they can live like that.

Lime, apple and avocado can be risky blood colors. They indicate that these lizard species build up a toxic substance called biliverdin. The lizards’ red blood cells still depend on hemoglobin, the stuff that ferries oxygen and makes most animal blood red, but any lizard-blood redness is overwhelmed by massive concentrations of the green biliverdin. A breakdown product of hemoglobin, biliverdin gives the greenish edge to bruised human flesh. Most animal bodies quickly whisk it away.

High concentrations of biliverdin, say over 50 micromoles per liter, make humans sick with jaundice. The lizards, however, do just fine with 714 to 1,020 µM/L.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
The Star Trek Generations PC game was odd and somewhat fun for a TNG era game. I recall that it had both space combat sections and these first person shooter levels which had a lot of puzzles. The neat thing about it was that you could progress the plot differently from the film. Soren might for instance take shelter with a Romulan fleet rather than with the Klingons. If you played right the Enterprise-D could survive the game.

The Star Trek Insurrection game Hidden Evil however was horrid, basically a poor knock off of Resident Evil. It was supposed to be a direct sequel to the film and had a rather incoherent plot involving the aliens from The Chase hiding a super weapon under the Ba'ku planet.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Cons are weird.

https://twitter.com/NichelleIsUhura/status/764569961641586688

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope for her sake she immediately left after that...that guy's creepy as all hell

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Dark One posted:

Cons are weird.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I played Star Trek Ascendancy tonight. It's pretty fun, but you'll need to block out a decent amount of time to play. I really like the way you assemble the galaxy map. I'm glad I picked it up at Gen Con.

I'll get some pictures of the game sometime next week.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Finished my first rewatch of Enterprise S2 since it originally aired.

Better than S1, still kinda bland and rehashing old plots without enough of a new twist to justify it (ANOTHER transporter accident episode on a Star Trek series). The Borg episode wasn't as bad as I remember. The finale tries really hard to be Star Trek: Event Horizon (Klingons turned inside out! Vulcans eating each other!) with a touch of 9/11.

Overall still pretty enjoyable if nothing special. I gather S3 marks the change to more action-oriented, and I was only half watching when it originally aired so some of this should be new.

Also, what the hell happened to the theme song in S3? I never hated the original one, but this upbeat twangy version is really drat weird.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All of the music in Enterprise sucks, even the incidental stuff. That includes the dumb generic stuff they used for In A Mirror, Darkly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope for her sake she immediately left after that...that guy's creepy as all hell

I'm generally pretty in the "whatever you're into" boat, but dude you should not have bought that vest or that hat and then decided to wear both at the same time.

Unless you literally work inside an olden tymes iced cream parlor. And only wear them at work.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mortanis posted:

Also, what the hell happened to the theme song in S3? I never hated the original one, but this upbeat twangy version is really drat weird.

The same thing that happened to DS9's but even worse.

We hear you complained about the theme song, so just as you've come to appreciate it, we'll alter it for the worse.

For the record, I now like DS9 and VOY instrumental openings the best of any series, but the later season DS9 faster theme with pointless lovely buzzing poo poo was a mystifying change. Also, I never really minded Faith of the Heart, and think it was a decent accompaniment to the visuals and original intent of the prequel.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The visuals of Enterprise's opening are great and inspiring. If they'd only chosen a different song...

...any excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGVyPO647I

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zurui posted:

The visuals of Enterprise's opening are great and inspiring. If they'd only chosen a different song...

How have I never seen this before?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That's what I've been thinking quite a bit since checking this thread out. The TNG YouTube edits have been the best so far.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
One of several reasons why the thread has to be rebooted periodically, just so we can bring everybody up to speed again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zurui posted:

I still really like the version using the closing theme.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Who knows, it gets reposted every 20 or 30 pages and it's still as unfunny as ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who knows, it gets reposted every 20 or 30 pages and it's still as unfunny as ever.

YOUR FACE IS AS UNFUNNY AS EVER.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, you really live up to your name and title. Good on.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Just got out of Beyond. Pretty good all through, infinitely superior to "into darkness".

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I've got an odd question: In Siskos office, you can see a NASA space station with shuttle orbiter berthed to it. First guess would say ISS, but seeing as DS9 started quite some time before they began to start chucking up the first modules I'm not so sure.

Could it be the "Freedom" design they were putting together in the 80s? Looking at what few pics I can find on Google image search, it certainly looks more like Freedom.

(I want that goddamn model)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you have a picture of it? The ISS was in planning for several years, so there was probably a design available.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Also don't forget that the shuttle visited Mir 11 times, all of them while DS9 was in production.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's definitely the ISS.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

It's definitely the ISS.

Looks more like Freedom. You can make out alot of striking similarities, and in your picture there's no evidence of zvezda or zarya modules.

E: Space Station Freedom was abandoned, and the idea for the ISS was taken on the same year.

Falken fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 15, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There's a 2-hour 50 Year Anniversary retrospective on the History Channel tonight if anyone is interested. A whole lot of interviews with big names.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Gonz posted:

There's a 2-hour 50 Year Anniversary retrospective on the History Channel tonight if anyone is interested. A whole lot of interviews with big names.

I don't have History but I'll check it out later on subspace.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That station model is the 1987 Freedom baseline, but with independently moving solar arrays instead of paired ones.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Dirty posted:

Yes, I had this, and had totally forgotten until just now. That was a pretty fun game. Shattered Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBneHQtock

Takei clearly loving the chance to be Captain Sulu again. He even gets to say the opening monologue.

Yeah Shattered Universe that's the one. It was pretty fun crippling that space Amoeba and disrupting the Tholian web. I also remember a TNG style space fighter game, I only had the demo and it was one of those annoying you only have five minutes to play the game PS1 demo's, so can't recall the name or if it was any good.

Barlow posted:

The Star Trek Insurrection game Hidden Evil however was horrid, basically a poor knock off of Resident Evil. It was supposed to be a direct sequel to the film and had a rather incoherent plot involving the aliens from The Chase hiding a super weapon under the Ba'ku planet.

Oh this one, a mate of mine lent me it, he was in no hurry to get it back, it was just awful. The only interesting thing was that it managed to combine the worst parts of Resident Evil, terrible controls and naff puzzles etc, but didn't balance it with interesting monsters.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gonz posted:

This was pretty good. They said 7 of 9 was going to be in Nemesis instead of an existing character? Anyone know who they were going to kick out to make room?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IIRC, early drafts had 7 contacting Picard instead of Janeway.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Oof. Mulgrew would've LOVED that...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
She probably got wind of it and blew a gasket. Apparently Kate Mulgrew was pretty lovely about Jeri Ryan during production. You're the first woman Captain. You're the star of the show. Production brings in a bodacious babe in a skin tight suit and gives her half decent stories where the rest of the show is pretty UGH.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 15, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I know Walter Koenig is 80 years old, but on that History Channel show last night, he looked like a ghost.

Is he just old as gently caress or does he have an illness of some kind?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dude looks oddly like Gorbachev. Maybe they swapped forehead skin and have been living in each other's place for complicated KGB reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Met posted:

She probably got wind of it and blew a gasket. Apparently Kate Mulgrew was pretty lovely about Jeri Ryan during production. You're the first woman Captain. You're the star of the show. Production brings in a bodacious babe in a skin tight suit and gives her half decent stories where the rest of the show is pretty UGH.
You know, looking back I always find it amusing that I was the only teenager out of my group of trek friends who didn't really get on board with the whole catsuit deal. I always wanted her to be in a Starfleet uniform, and preferred her look in that holodeck episode (name?) and Relativity where she has her Borg implants removed and is in a Science uniform.