Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a pretty stark difference in how Valve treat TI and how CCP treats AT. Namely that the latter uses a barebones staff who work after hours to do it, where as the former dump millions of dollars to put the event together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
it helps valve dump a shitload of money on the event when they personally make tens of millions on it through compendium/chest sales

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Plust most Eve players don't really care about the AT. Nevermind people outside if it. I can't imagine it being a very profitable event.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Also EVE is only fun and cool to watch in edited, scripted, carefully directed video segments and not live.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

dialhforhero posted:

Also EVE is only fun and cool to watch in edited, scripted, carefully directed video segments and not live.

Yes the AT matched just lookböike a complete mess. Even with narators explaining. It's hard to tell what's going on.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
as a person who has never taken part in real pvp, i can still follow what's going on.

maybe it's just because i'm so gosh darn good at eve online.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
As a person who doesn't play chess I can still follow what's going on.

But I don't watch chess.

Because watching chess is boring as gently caress.

Like watching EVE online.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Zephyrine posted:

Yes the AT matched just lookböike a complete mess. Even with narators explaining. It's hard to tell what's going on.

flashdance is leaking through

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Honestly what they need to do is have about 3-4 different "camera guys" that control viewpoints and they have a director who watches the match and goes between the different camera views depending on what's going on. The AT could be really neat to watch if they actually put some good production behind it outside of a HUD with ship status.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

dialhforhero posted:

Honestly what they need to do is have about 3-4 different "camera guys" that control viewpoints and they have a director who watches the match and goes between the different camera views depending on what's going on. The AT could be really neat to watch if they actually put some good production behind it outside of a HUD with ship status.

The health bars need to be under each ship so you're not stuck correlating everything between the top and bottom halves of the screen. Half the screen is for ship names and health bars what the actual gently caress.

You can also call it a HUD, but it's not anything like what you'd want to see in your helmet as a pilot. You'll never hear a fighter pilot give feedback like, "get rid of all those predictive reticles and trajectories, I want all my telemetry raw in a table. Like Excel except make it update once a second or when it feels like. Shuffle it around as it goes too."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will say CCP's overlay for the AT with the team comp, their respective health, and the icons that pop up when something happens (eg. ewar) is pretty good. The issue is there's just too much info for any viewer, let alone a newbie, to deal with. You have to worry about stuff like "oh what composition did they build? well i don't know because its all hidden/opsec" etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Elsa posted:

The health bars need to be under each ship so you're not stuck correlating everything between the top and bottom halves of the screen. Half the screen is for ship names and health bars what the actual gently caress.

You can also call it a HUD, but it's not anything like what you'd want to see in your helmet as a pilot. You'll never hear a fighter pilot give feedback like, "get rid of all those predictive reticles and trajectories, I want all my telemetry raw in a table. Like Excel except make it update once a second or when it feels like. Shuffle it around as it goes too."

The new trajectory lines and tactical view are cool, though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The combat overlay is amazing.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Zeph, I hit you up in game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dialhforhero posted:

Part of the problem is that there's only so many people working on the AT because its a volunteer thing. It's half CCP doesn't want to invest money into it and half they only have so much manpower available.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's a lack of creative vision. People will think everything is fine until you show them something better.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
That's all well and good for a small setting like the AT (it's a nice concept but has a lot of room for improvement) but it wouldn't work actually in game, 1 - in any sort of numbers it'd look like a cluster gently caress and 2 - it'd give away to much info on enemy ships without having to lock them. So as it'd only be usable for observers, ccp won't devote time to it unless they go full on e-sports

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Sunber posted:

That's all well and good for a small setting like the AT (it's a nice concept but has a lot of room for improvement) but it wouldn't work actually in game, 1 - in any sort of numbers it'd look like a cluster gently caress and 2 - it'd give away to much info on enemy ships without having to lock them. So as it'd only be usable for observers, ccp won't devote time to it unless they go full on e-sports

yeah it's a thing I slapped together in 3 minutes, of course it has room for improvement. I don't mean to say health bars should suddenly be visible all the time, and outside the AT dev hack setting just give health bars when ships are locked normally.

as for the clusterfuck it's already plenty clusterfucky, I mean goddamn

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah see anyone looks at that, EVE players included, and they may as well watch someone play the largest grid of Minesweeper.

Except that would be easier to see what the actual gently caress is going on.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
That's why you hide drones, loot and corpses and it makes much more sense

Edit: Well, as much sense as this dumb game can anyway

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sunber posted:

That's why you hide drones, loot and corpses and it makes much more sense

Edit: Well, as much sense as this dumb game can anyway

Look at who you're arguing with.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
Plex being over a bil again is loving depressing. Rip wallet.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

MorsAnima posted:

Plex being over a bil again is loving depressing. Rip wallet.

thank you skill injectors

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
AT is a yearly conference of alliances that got their asses kicked by GSF. They should change prize ships to something else that would make people compete for space honor instead of money. Hardcore players can make ISK doing PVP (as they claim in many local chats). Current system just encourages people to mess with the system like last year. Having friendlies competing against each other is just dumb.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

yogizh posted:

AT is a yearly conference of alliances that got their asses kicked by GSF. They should change prize ships to something else that would make people compete for space honor instead of money. Hardcore players can make ISK doing PVP (as they claim in many local chats). Current system just encourages people to mess with the system like last year. Having friendlies competing against each other is just dumb.

The alliance tournament rewards should be capitals with entosis bonuses.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

the alliance tournament should give out ships that are really good in the real world but suck rear end in the AT, like covert hics, and cruiser stealthbombers, and jump range increase blops, and jump drive industrials, and a svipul cruiser

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I think AT should be 10x Ishtars only so the matches end in 20 seconds and the whole thing is loving done with in 4 hours

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

the alliance tournament should give out ships that are really good in the real world but suck rear end in the AT, like covert hics, and cruiser stealthbombers, and jump range increase blops, and jump drive industrials, and a svipul cruiser

Black ops battleship that can fit a covert ops cloak and six bomb launchers at the same time :black101:

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Covert Ops that can smartbomb with cloaked. 8 high slots.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

Black ops battleship that can fit a covert ops cloak and six bomb launchers at the same time :black101:

A ship that prevents Jump Freighters from docking. :smuggo:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

A ship that prevents Jump Freighters from docking. :smuggo:

Abort! Abort!!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
That black ops logistics ship was OP, though.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

it helps valve dump a shitload of money on the event when they personally make tens of millions on it through compendium/chest sales

$80 million this year holy poo poo nerds stop buying cosmetic poo poo

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

luminalflux posted:

$80 million this year holy poo poo nerds stop buying cosmetic poo poo

you can't make me

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

lol if you don't spend money on your free game :shepspends:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly AT stuff is pretty boring, other than seeing the setups that get sent out. You can figure out who's going to win before the fight even starts most of the time - there's very rare moments to "outplay" like you can in mobas. In fact I can think of maybe 3 times that's happened in the last 5 years - one time PL deleted half the enemy team with a bombing run, one time a guy juked two people burning after them, making them boundary violate, and a third time someone bumped a guy using an MJD, causing them to boundary violate.

Beyond that it's just watching status bars go down in a predictable order while PL commentators #212 and #213 give each other tuggies.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Elsa posted:

I injected Empire Control V and I'm deciding on an alliance name still.

I'm also eyeing someone to entosis just to get things going, and so far I can't think of anyone better than QFC for that soundcloud

You should probably learn everything about entosis mechanics before trying this. If you make your own alliance you're just going to be stealing sov from the people who hire you (not that anyone will). You need to create a corp and then join your client's alliance to capture sov for them. As I have said a few times, this is a dumb idea that will never work. I'm glad you're trying things, but maybe start with a non-dumb premise for the next thing.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

frozenphil posted:

You should probably learn everything about entosis mechanics before trying this. If you make your own alliance you're just going to be stealing sov from the people who hire you (not that anyone will). You need to create a corp and then join your client's alliance to capture sov for them. As I have said a few times, this is a dumb idea that will never work. I'm glad you're trying things, but maybe start with a non-dumb premise for the next thing.

Please don't try to reason with him I'm content with him being retarded outside of goonswarm.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
It's like trying to explain to bill why A we shouldn't smart bomb those dudes and B no were not loving dropping black ops either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Hey, sometimes learning and failing in this dumb game can be fun.

• Locked thread