Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

killstealing posted:

I kinda want to get to 36 but I'm only at 30

Man up and do it. Alternatively, do what I do and beg for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
which six are you missing?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
missing proph chains, unique box, 1000 rampage, shore/cemetery/thicket unid, t1/14 twinned, 49 master missions, 10 izaro kills, 3 8-mods, 149 maps from bosses

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
that's nine! :v:

you can camp in 820 for t1/t14 twinned, 8 mods, shore/cem/thicket unid and free masters - shouldn't take long. snagging a free t14 took a while for me. t1 twinned/shore/cem/thicket: buy/roll them and offer it free, pubbies will help you clear it quickly

1k rampage requires some work with a Gorge and a pile of alts (for Sea Witches. the prophecy is unreliable). I had my attempts fail at 800-900 a bunch of times; I was using Wyrmsigns for the rampage rather than map device mods, thankfully. it's a 1alch unique. when it did work I got ~1200 monsters in the Gorge

820 sometimes has free unique boxes; otherwise I guess prophecy chains are your best bet. spend some chaos, buy coins, keep sealing tedious prophecies.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haven't played in 2 years. I have a 79 Marauder Ground Slammer. Is that total crap now, or should it still be viable (I'm still d/l'ing)? I have a 49 witch also with absolutely no gear, and I imagine a full respec. I bet the marauder does as well. Whats a nice witch build now?

I could never get great items or currency. Ever. I had two level 70+ and found prob 2 exalted. Has that changed any?

What are these Prophecy challenges? Halp, I forgot everything and also there's a lot of new stuffs.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Everything has changed.

You can play with your characters on standard, they have full respecs, or you can join one of the temp leagues with a new guy. The league is nearing an end so you probably wont progress too far, but a new league is less than three weeks away, so now isnt a bad time to brush up on the game.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 14, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never really played any leagues or races anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ButtWolf posted:

I never really played any leagues or races anyway.

you should

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My gear sux mega, I wont be able to amass any points. Should i just start 100% fresh and sell all my gear and delete all my characters? Cause I kond of want to do that. Maybe keep the 79 just so ill have access to all vendors for now. Whats the sort of base lvl dps you need to shoot for? I cant remember what mone is but I bet its not great. I could clear lvl 73ish maps without many problems but that was about it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
There's no universal "you need this much dps to be awesome" number unless you're comparing with the same active skill. Tooltip numbers never tell the whole story.

I would hold on you your high level character. One of the big changes is that you can now buy gems from vendors (price 1 wisdom/alt/chance/alch) and they come pre-leveled. If you have a Scion, Duelist and Witch then you'll have access to all gems that can be purchased from vendors. That gives you some flexibility in trying out different builds.

As for gear, join the guild and look at the stash. Not sure what the one on Standard looks like (if it's anything like my Standard stash, it has roughly 12 million remove-only tabs that will never go away).

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

ButtWolf posted:

My gear sux mega, I wont be able to amass any points. Should i just start 100% fresh and sell all my gear and delete all my characters? Cause I kond of want to do that. Maybe keep the 79 just so ill have access to all vendors for now. Whats the sort of base lvl dps you need to shoot for? I cant remember what mone is but I bet its not great. I could clear lvl 73ish maps without many problems but that was about it.

When you play the new leagues you start from scratch in them anyway, same for every race you participate in. Races are about game knowledge and speed levelling. Leagues are about new mechanics and challenges and expansions. You have 24 character slots to start with you probably dont need to delete any characters. Just be chill and play the game, goons will help you no matter what.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

You can grab the first mtx in a day or three on a fresh account if you focus on doing that. You dont need any gear to start out at all. It would be a good warm-up for the next league, and to get you in the mood for league-play as opposed to permanent play. Also, there's no need to delete any characters, at least not until you reach the character limit (which is quite high).

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Leagues are also way less daunting than they originally seem. Some of them (warband, talisman) had mechanics you had to actively play around but they've always been at least partially suggestions more than "you must interact with this new league only mechanic".

With that said, definitely interact with the new league mechanics - the one right before the one we're in now involved a vendor that had caches and coins all over the place that you could trade, potentially, for uniques. It was unbalanced as hell compared to normal but it was a great way to try out builds you might not have previously gotten the currency up for.

The Prophecy League has some similar effect on the game, but is much less severe in scale tipping. It also wouldn't hurt to get at least vaguely familiar with it through experimentation or wiki use since a modified form is going to be in from this point forward.

-8.5 Diopters
Sep 23, 2009
Has GGG said anything about a premium map tab? I already have problems organizing all of my maps and can't imagine what a mess my stash is going to be with 50% more of them to keep track of.

And I might have to drop some cash on a supporter pack for the sweet armor. :homebrew:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

-8.5 Diopters posted:

Has GGG said anything about a premium map tab? I already have problems organizing all of my maps and can't imagine what a mess my stash is going to be with 50% more of them to keep track of.

And I might have to drop some cash on a supporter pack for the sweet armor. :homebrew:

The big problem is that maps are unique by item ID or however they store these things so they don't stack very well.

They could maybe do some kind of sorted by name within tier thing or something but IDK I feel like it would end up being a mess.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Collapsable drawers by map type and tier would be cool

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The March Hare posted:

The big problem is that maps are unique by item ID or however they store these things so they don't stack very well.

Yeah, stacking wouldn't even work for normal maps where you could have items at different quality levels. Once you start getting magic/rare/uniques? Forget about it.

Voxx posted:

Collapsable drawers by map type and tier would be cool

This would get me to give GGG even more of my money.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This league I did map tabs as

White T1-T4
White T5-6
Yellow T7-T9
Yellow T10-T11
Red

Seemed to work out alright.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
my map tabs were: high maps, low maps, when low maps would get full I'd vendor them up, when high maps got full I... well I ran them all the time so that never happened

-8.5 Diopters
Sep 23, 2009

The March Hare posted:

They could maybe do some kind of sorted by name within tier thing or something but IDK I feel like it would end up being a mess.

I might have to try something similar this league. Now if only I could stop hoarding so many useless rares and uniques.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

funmanguy posted:

Welcome. You may want to give the temp league a try. Also join the guild, it may be mostly dead this late in a league, but its less dead than standard, which is nearly perma-goon dead.

I've been dicking around with the prophecy challenge mode and not really knowing what i'm doing. Are the temp leagues those 3 things that pop up at char select with time remaining? I think I need a crash course in game modes/rewards/etc, and a good build that handles most things well for all these time-sensitive challenges.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

BabyRyoga posted:

I've been dicking around with the prophecy challenge mode and not really knowing what i'm doing. Are the temp leagues those 3 things that pop up at char select with time remaining? I think I need a crash course in game modes/rewards/etc, and a good build that handles most things well for all these time-sensitive challenges.

there's Standard which is basically the vanilla mode that people play which never rolls over, Hardcore Standard which is Standard but 1 life only, and the temp league. Temp league is stuff like Prophecy or Perandus or w/e the themed name is and basically is Standard + gimmick, lasts 3 months, and is a fresh start each time. Rly fun since a fresh start means you don't have to deal with everyone being uber rich/leveled while you're starting out

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

I've been dicking around with the prophecy challenge mode and not really knowing what i'm doing. Are the temp leagues those 3 things that pop up at char select with time remaining?

No, those are races, completely separate from the leagues.

BabyRyoga posted:

I think I need a crash course in game modes/rewards/etc

Have a gander: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/League

BabyRyoga posted:

and a good build that handles most things well for all these time-sensitive challenges.

I think the current no-brainer build is 2H Juggernaut Earthquake. Look in this thread for "Jebquake" for a good example.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
from 30 to 35 lol, that first exalt drop got me 2 points

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Goddam the new expansion looks loving awesome. Too bad it comes out right after Legion. I'll just have to find the time to play both, gonna need very high energy.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started a Prophecy. I guess first time through i gotta just kind go with whatever i get for while right? Im loving contagion as a shadow. Lot of new spells.
How much better is quake than ground slam?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Prophecies are totally up to RNGesus, but they can be bought and sold once sealed, which costs more coin.

Earthquake kicks pretty much all melee skills' rear end

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Jesus loving christ, bakedchicken chanced a HH after 6k belts and insta vaal-slammed into a brick, no reaction :stare:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So...serial killer? Sounds like a serial killer.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ButtWolf posted:

How much better is quake than ground slam?

roughly three times better

EQ is endgame viable, GS is not

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

are the performance updates live already? (the multithreading thing?)

-edit- Not dropping below 144FPS so I'm going to guess yes

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 15, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think it was supposed to be for the next patch unless you enable a command line option

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there any gear that is generally recognized as beneficial to farm for your account early on? Like using Chance orbs for Unique flasks, or must have vendor recipes, etc.

Are there any orbs I should absolutely not use at all?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there any gear that is generally recognized as beneficial to farm for your account early on? Like using Chance orbs for Unique flasks, or must have vendor recipes, etc.

Are there any orbs I should absolutely not use at all?

use a filter and chance the stuff that is pointed out (Taste of Hate might be no worth it imo, at 4EX)

chaos recipe unids from ilevel 60-74, regal recipe ided 75+

Exalts and Mirrors duh (I think funman is the only goon who regularly uses em and he's filthy rich)

also you should invest 1 to 2 chaos for each slot buying gear if you start right now, you'll get pretty awesome stuff imo

in a new league prices will be way higher (works for you too obv if you have a premium stash tab)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I spend cash on gear just so that I can get into good maps quicker

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

roughly three times better

EQ is endgame viable, GS is not

GS is endgame viable.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i can clear maps with gs, but if quake is a lot better i need for one of yall to give me a fully leveled max quality one kthx

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got a corrupted 20/20 EQ gem for like 5 chaos, about a month ago. It's probably cheaper at this point.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheRat posted:

GS is endgame viable.

is it though? I was speaking in the context of a new player with no currency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When I think endgame viable I think of builds that you can do everything up to red maps with okay mods (ie: not double reflect eweakness -max resist 300% damage) without wanting to pull your hair out as a casual player. I don't think GS is one of those skills anymore, which makes me sad because I like GS.

A skilled player with a lot of currency can make just about any skill endgame viable.

• Locked thread