Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

Sir Tonk posted:

theyve been terrible since the Black Album

basically when Cliff died they were over

Terrible only in the context of the previous albums, really.

But there were some damned good songs on some of those later albums. Sure, they were few and far between, but they were there.

And I like Death Magnetic even if it was a cheap ploy to rekindle the passion of those first few albums. As a 37 year old man, I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Electric Bugaloo posted:

wherein a career True Believer dances on the knife's edge: How We Killed the Tea Party

Hooollyyyy crraaappp. Not only did the whole Tea Party thing end up absolutely exactly the way people with half a brain said it was going to end up -- eaten alive by the GOP the second it became apparent the monster the Kochs created wasn't completely on their side -- it's pretty much proven that it was all about racism and bigotry after all as the TPers gravitated toward the exact kind of guy they would have fought to take down.

Once again, you couldn't even begin to write this poo poo without the whole story falling apart due to absurdity and predictability.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spiritus Nox posted:

I hope Donald says he wants to nuke 'em.

He's going to bitch about how the advisors told him nukes weren't an option and insinuate that nukes "aren't off the table". This will understandably freak out everyone who understands a thing about nuclear policy and bring a new wave of unendorsements and hopefully a condemnation from the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists or some other major nuclear policy think tank.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
e: this isn't the other thread!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/764870785634799617

trump confirmed for runaway nuclear corncob

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

...yes it is?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Step 1: Say the magic words "radical Islamic terrorism"
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Terrorism is defeated forever

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4QvZoS9O0

Some people have issues with Don Lemon, and he's definitely not the most professional, but this is a pretty amazing segment not involving Pierson or McEneny.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Boon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4QvZoS9O0

Some people have issues with Don Lemon, and he's definitely not the most professional, but this is a pretty amazing segment not involving Pierson or McEneny.

Don Ĺmon has slowly been changing into someone I can actually respect Started like around super tuesday.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
lol Trump isn't going to make it to October is he? He's flailing around and openly acknowledging that he's getting his rear end kicked.

and Metallica rules.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/302530722453921793

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Reporting the exact things Donald Trump says: "completely false."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pakled posted:

Reporting the exact things Donald Trump says: "completely false."

This is the thing I don't get. How are people claiming he didn't say things he says?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

in a haze of articles and speeches I"ve watched this weekend I recall Trump talking about how Obama calls ISIS "ISIL" to divert attention from ISIS, or something. I am grateful that the Republican party reached its logical conclusion

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dexo posted:

Don Ĺmon has slowly been changing into someone I can actually respect Started like around super tuesday.

He's turned a corner mentally, at times at least, ever since Obama took time out to dunk on him specifically at the WHCP

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I still can't say that about a band that had four incredible albums and one really good album before dropping a couple Loads on their fans.

Some Kind of Monster is literally a film about 2003-era Metallica's group therapy sessions (with "performance enhancement coach" Phil Towle) that had a theatrical release. I don't know how much of that is commendably progressive and how much is just hilariously self-indulgent and out of touch.

Robviously posted:

I know this is from a couple pages but Wallingford was a bit of a hotbed for Klan activity to the point that they had a white supremacist hold a talk in the public library and didn't recognize MLK Jr. Day until the state made them in the 2000s.

Red Scroll is a pretty nice record store though. A good stop if you're driving through the nothingburger between MA and the CT that most people think about.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Along with the above, have this involving Kayleigh McEnany, Van Jones, and Bill Kristol:
http://crooksandliars.com/cltv/2016/08/bill-kristol-kayleigh-mcenany-youre - The article itself is hot dogshit but that video is gold.

Van Jones looks so content.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 14, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

This is the thing I don't get. How are people claiming he didn't say things he says?

1) It's usually their only defense.
2) It's a defense that seems to kind of work, or at least dampens the blow, because they know that any kind of disagreement turns a fact into a controversy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

So when someone claims that Hillary wants to remove the second amendment, we can just point at this tweet and say, Donald's targeting the first one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Josef bugman posted:

Trump and his supporters strenuously object to the media's attempts to add any kind of context to Trump's quotes and this is dismissed by them as "bias." They'd rather the media report "Trump says Obama is the founder of ISIS" but leave out the "(but he is not)".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pakled posted:

Trump and his supporters strenuously object to the media's attempts to add any kind of context to Trump's quotes and this is dismissed by them as "bias." They'd rather the media report "Trump says Obama is the founder of ISIS" but leave out the "(but he is not)".

No, the "Trump says" is already to much. He wants them to literally repeat his words like some Orwellian nightmare.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol Trump isn't going to make it to October is he? He's flailing around and openly acknowledging that he's getting his rear end kicked.

and Metallica rules.

The October surprise is that Trump takes off his latex mask and its Andy Kaufman underneath.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Since this is 80's metal chat, this is probably pertinent. Hillary is the only candidate endorsed by Slayer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/slayer-guitarist-talks-elections-only-safe-correct-choice-w431159

If Trump can't wrap up the GWAR endorsement, it's over.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay could someone sumurise the Don Lemon thing? I hate watching people argue if I can't get involved and the video is already a bit weird.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Riots in Milwaukee after a police shooting:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/13/violence-erupts-police-shooting-milwaukee/88699670/

quote:

A standoff between police and an angry crowd turned violent Saturday night in the hours after a Milwaukee police officer shot and killed an armed suspect during a foot chase.
After an hours-long confrontation with officers, police reported at 10:15 p.m. CT that a gas station was set on fire. Police said firefighters could not get close to the blaze because of gunshots.
Later, fires were started at businesses — including a BMO Harris Bank branch, a beauty supply company and O'Reilly Auto Parts stores — near N. 35th and W. Burleigh streets as scores of people gathered near the crime scene on the city's north side, a grim and emphatic Mayor Tom Barrett said at a news conference.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
here's something I've always wondered that the media never seems to ask - what was Obama exactly supposed to do with the status of forces agreement? Maliki didn't want us there. He would never have signed it. Were we supposed to just stay, against the wishes of the elected government?

Or is the argument that Obama could have gotten said agreement if he really wanted to, but didn't give it a serious try because he wanted out, too?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

in a haze of articles and speeches I"ve watched this weekend I recall Trump talking about how Obama calls ISIS "ISIL" to divert attention from ISIS, or something. I am grateful that the Republican party reached its logical conclusion

I never got why the Obama administration prefers ISIL over ISIS, but focusing on that is missing the forest for the trees in the biggest way possible.

Unlike, say, "Radical Islamic Terrorism", which lumps an entire religion in to things as opposed to focusing solely on the bad guys without dragging religion in more than it already is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah... I have a bunch of angry, old white men as regulars at my work (in the Milwaukee Suburbs). I'm not looking forward to what they have to say today.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Okay could someone sumurise the Don Lemon thing? I hate watching people argue if I can't get involved and the video is already a bit weird.

Dan Bongino/Trump stooge basically insulted Don Lemon a lot and Lemon told him he was lying and, best of all, that he should be ashamed of himself.

You aren't really missing out on much, although it's a great example of how the Trump team tries to defuse his controversies after the fact. If I was on the fence and didn't fully understand things, all the arguing would make me feel like it's just another unsettled political debate (although the facts are clear enough and Lemon and the panelists push back hard enough in this instance that it's also clear that the tactics of obfuscation can only do so much).

Also Dan Bongino is running for House Rep in Florida :psyduck: Praise be that I don't have to work in the same building with ideologues like that and be told I have to try to pass legislation with them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I still can't say that about a band that had four incredible albums and one really good album before dropping a couple Loads on their fans.

Load would be a good album if it was released by another band not named Metallica

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
One of the wierd things from this cycle is that it has made me respect David Gergen opinions a bit.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/764884587474550784

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mother fucker.

Edit: Things have seemed to calmed down, but yeah, let's kneejerk. http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/breaking/2016/08/14/calm-restored-scene-unrest-clarke-calls-national-guard/88716616/

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 14, 2016

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I'm sure Trump's response to all this will be tasteful, subdued and humane.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Hopefully they don't put you guys under curfew like they did here in Baltimore. Obviously I'm a goon, so I wasn't all that effected by it, but it was still very odd.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Currently, the other thing I see on Twitter about Milwaukee is an eruption of fiery hot takes.

Is there anything more going on right now, or have things pretty much calmed down since last night?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Boon posted:

Along with the above, have this involving Kayleigh McEnany, Van Jones, and Bill Kristol:
http://crooksandliars.com/cltv/2016/08/bill-kristol-kayleigh-mcenany-youre - The article itself is hot dogshit but that video is gold.

Van Jones looks so content.

When Bill Kristol is the sane one in your argument it's the apocalypse.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Currently, the other thing I see on Twitter about Milwaukee is an eruption of fiery hot takes.

Is there anything more going on right now, or have things pretty much calmed down since last night?

Calmed down, thankfully. Milwaukee is pretty much a prime example of de facto segregation. The city is black, the suburbs are white, and gods forbid if you try to make your suburb attractive to black people as the mayor of New Berlin found out.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

iospace posted:

I never got why the Obama administration prefers ISIL over ISIS, but focusing on that is missing the forest for the trees in the biggest way possible.

Unlike, say, "Radical Islamic Terrorism", which lumps an entire religion in to things as opposed to focusing solely on the bad guys without dragging religion in more than it already is.

There's just a preference away from using the term ISIS. Kerry uses the term Daesh as often as ISIL. I would guess its for the same reason you aren't going to hear many South Koreans refer to North Korea as the DPRK. It's just a way to avoid legitimizing the regime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Goatman Sacks posted:

here's something I've always wondered that the media never seems to ask - what was Obama exactly supposed to do with the status of forces agreement? Maliki didn't want us there. He would never have signed it. Were we supposed to just stay, against the wishes of the elected government?

Or is the argument that Obama could have gotten said agreement if he really wanted to, but didn't give it a serious try because he wanted out, too?

We conquered Iraq once, we could do it again. I think is the general belief of the dumber 30% of Americans.

• Locked thread