Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I stopped listening to Metallica when Lars shat all over Napster, especially with that incredibly dumb skit at the 2000 MTV music awards.

Megadeth is better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

This is the best opinion in this whole thread.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4QvZoS9O0

Some people have issues with Don Lemon, and he's definitely not the most professional, but this is a pretty amazing segment not involving Pierson or McEneny.

His sigh at 9:10 was great after one of the pundits compared this commentary to Obama saying Republicans are like Iranian hard-liners. I'm not a Don Lemon fan or detractor, he's a bit airheaded sometimes, but this segment I'm :allears:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Currently, the other thing I see on Twitter about Milwaukee is an eruption of fiery hot takes.

Is there anything more going on right now, or have things pretty much calmed down since last night?

I saw some businesses set on fire. I don't know why people think that's the go-to for poo poo like this.

Good job loving owners and employees out of property and income, I guess.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
trump's war on media always seems funny to me, i felt the media was his strongest weapon on getting traction in his campaign. i guess batching the media is appealing to his voter-base/alt-right.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 14, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Step 1: Say the magic words "radical Islamic terrorism"
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Terrorism is defeated forever

No, that will only happen if a traitorous democrat says it. It's extremely important because

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

iospace posted:

Calmed down, thankfully. Milwaukee is pretty much a prime example of de facto segregation. The city is black, the suburbs are white, and gods forbid if you try to make your suburb attractive to black people as the mayor of New Berlin found out.

I'm guessing the lesson they learned here is "keeping them segregated is good" and not "there are serious problems at the root of this, we should examine them"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Freakazoid_ posted:

I stopped listening to Metallica when Lars shat all over Napster, especially with that incredibly dumb skit at the 2000 MTV music awards.

If musicians' opinions matter to your enjoyment of the music, I have some bad news about Dave Mustaine...

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I saw some businesses set on fire. I don't know why people think that's the go-to for poo poo like this.

Good job loving owners and employees out of property and income, I guess.
Option 1: People are angry, and don't have a good way to express it in ways that won't lead to the police finding their magic excuse to slaughterhundreds of innocents.

Option 2: The ever-present plants and bad-faith actors, who want to make drat sure the media never sees a "peaceful protest" and maybe turns on the pigs for once.

[Edit] Option 3: Wait, just saw your username, how about gently caress off and take your lovely concern trolling back to GBS or /pol/?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Did we leave residual troops in Vietnam after we pulled out?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
What bands/singers would even play at a Trump rally? If he wins, would Ted Nugent sing the national anthem on inauguration day?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Mr Interweb posted:

Did we leave residual troops in Vietnam after we pulled out?

i wasn't born durring the way, but i thought we left in the same matter of when the cops show up at a high school party with beer.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like that one song that was literally a Bon Jovi tune

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Step 1: Say the magic words "radical Islamic terrorism"
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Terrorism is defeated forever

What's the deal with that anyway? I've seen tons of comments from people who almost literally claim this and that Obama should finally say that. They always write those words in all caps though.
What's the idea behind this, and why is this specific phrasing so important? Do they just think that those three words are inherently linked? If they assume that those words all mean the same thing, why do they want to repeat it three times? I'm trying to apply logic to something fundamentally stupid, but I kinda want to know where this is coming from.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Cyron posted:

i wasn't born durring the way, but i thought we left in the same matter of when the cops show up at a high school party with beer.

it wasnt quite that quick
we had a nominal draw restoring the prewar peace in '73, instituted heavy withdrawals, and then the nva came south and took sai gon on liberation day in 75
thats when we had to burn rubber with the choppers and all that, pushing them overboard after theyd land on a carrier deck just to fit more people on board

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cyron posted:

That's what I thought, but some Trump flack said that when Trump said we should get out of Iraq in 2007, that he OBVIOUSLY meant leaving a residual force just like we left in all countries we invaded in the past.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
“And he calls it ISIL. And the reason he calls it ISIL is he likes to bother everybody,” Trump told a Miami NBC affiliate, according to CBS News reporter Sopan Deb. “He’s like the only one who is still calling it ISIL.”

This is from a few days ago, but just look at this statement. Sigh.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

"He likes to bother everybody"? The hell does that mean?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

iospace posted:

I never got why the Obama administration prefers ISIL over ISIS, but focusing on that is missing the forest for the trees in the biggest way possible.

Unlike, say, "Radical Islamic Terrorism", which lumps an entire religion in to things as opposed to focusing solely on the bad guys without dragging religion in more than it already is.

Though I doubt it's his intention, getting the public to think of something other than ISIS will prevent poo poo like this from happening.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

deathbysnusnu posted:

Since this is 80's metal chat, this is probably pertinent. Hillary is the only candidate endorsed by Slayer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/slayer-guitarist-talks-elections-only-safe-correct-choice-w431159

If Trump can't wrap up the GWAR endorsement, it's over.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Dirt posted:

This is the best opinion in this whole thread.

Pretty sure Dave would be happy to endorse Trump tho.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr Interweb posted:

"He likes to bother everybody"? The hell does that mean?

"He's a nagger."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Air is lava! posted:

What's the deal with that anyway? I've seen tons of comments from people who almost literally claim this and that Obama should finally say that. They always write those words in all caps though.
What's the idea behind this, and why is this specific phrasing so important? Do they just think that those three words are inherently linked? If they assume that those words all mean the same thing, why do they want to repeat it three times? I'm trying to apply logic to something fundamentally stupid, but I kinda want to know where this is coming from.

In certain (fundamentalist/racist/bigoted) circles it is accepted that Islam is straight up evil and the actual root cause for all terrorist attacks and all of the trouble in the Middle East. They see a refusal by Obama (and everyone else with a brain) to point this out as him being weak (or as proof that he himself is Muslim).

"RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM" is mostly a dog whistle to those groups of people. Those using it let their base know that they are good Christians like them and will smite the unbelievers while retaining the ability to hide behind "I didn't say Islam was bad, only the radical portions!" if called out for blaming a religion for the actions of a few.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheBigAristotle posted:

“And he calls it ISIL. And the reason he calls it ISIL is he likes to bother everybody,” Trump told a Miami NBC affiliate, according to CBS News reporter Sopan Deb. “He’s like the only one who is still calling it ISIL.”

They used to bitch about how he pronounced Afghanistan too.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

What bands/singers would even play at a Trump rally? If he wins, would Ted Nugent sing the national anthem on inauguration day?
Billy Corgan is a big Alex Jones fan so he'd probably be on board.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shifty Pony posted:

In certain (fundamentalist/racist/bigoted) circles it is accepted that Islam is straight up evil and the actual root cause for all terrorist attacks and all of the trouble in the Middle East. They see a refusal by Obama (and everyone else with a brain) to point this out as him being weak (or as proof that he himself is Muslim).

"RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM" is mostly a dog whistle to those groups of people. Those using it let their base know that they are good Christians like them and will smite the unbelievers while retaining the ability to hide behind "I didn't say Islam was bad, only the radical portions!" if called out for blaming a religion for the actions of a few.

It's also a matter of making Obama dance to their specific phrasing. Trump and other Republicans are trying to control what Democrats say and don't say. If Obama doesn't use the magic words, they get to say he's not "getting serious" about "terrorism," and if he does use the words, it looks like they cowed him into using the words. Just playground bullying writ large.

Plus it makes a good soundbite -- "why won't Obama call terrorists terrorists?" -- even if the soundbite is, of course, manifestly untrue if you think about it for half a second. On that angle it plays into the many similar times Republicans have criticized Obama for "refusing to call [_____] terror" when he did in fact call whatever incident an act of terror but they're ignoring it.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

I get the feeling that the ideologically racist crowd are pushing this in order to specifically request social sanction from other authority figures. Social sanction was important after the Brexit happened and played a part in the sudden spike of hate crimes occurring, because the ideological racists used the vote to think that everyone was on their side and thus to hassle or heckle any perceived minority was therefore the "right" thing to do.

In requesting a non-republican or even establishment-republican to say the words "radical islamic terrorism," the ideological racists are demanding people to validate their viewpoint. It would be taken as a sign of automatic agreement with them, even if there isn't any actual agreement to be had.

The problem, of course, is what happens after the magic words are actually used.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's also a matter of making Obama dance to their specific phrasing. Trump and other Republicans are trying to control what Democrats say and don't say. If Obama doesn't use the magic words, they get to say he's not "getting serious" about "terrorism," and if he does use the words, it looks like they cowed him into using the words. Just playground bullying writ large.

Plus it makes a good soundbite -- "why won't Obama call terrorists terrorists?" -- even if the soundbite is, of course, manifestly untrue if you think about it for half a second. On that angle it plays into the many similar times Republicans have criticized Obama for "refusing to call [_____] terror" when he did in fact call whatever incident an act of terror but they're ignoring it.

The other approach is what Clinton did, which was to call it "radical Islamist terrorism" which is strictly speaking more accurate, and close enough to what they said that they would have to dip into *shudder* nuance to still hit her on it, so they just shook their fists and (for the most part) moved on to other insane things

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Goatman Sacks posted:

here's something I've always wondered that the media never seems to ask - what was Obama exactly supposed to do with the status of forces agreement? Maliki didn't want us there. He would never have signed it. Were we supposed to just stay, against the wishes of the elected government?

Or is the argument that Obama could have gotten said agreement if he really wanted to, but didn't give it a serious try because he wanted out, too?

The argument I've heard is that "Maliki actually wanted us to stay, he / nefarious elements of his administration were just playing hardball with unserious demands like trying US soldiers in Iraqi courts to get more concessions".

It's not completely implausible if you're someone who assumes that Obama's diplomacy is a limp-wristed incompetent failure on all counts everywhere.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Remember in a 2008 debate where Clinton wasted a few minutes minutes repeatedly asking Obama "yeah but do you denounce it?"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

I never got why the Obama administration prefers ISIL over ISIS, but focusing on that is missing the forest for the trees in the biggest way possible.

Unlike, say, "Radical Islamic Terrorism", which lumps an entire religion in to things as opposed to focusing solely on the bad guys without dragging religion in more than it already is.

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/whats-the-difference-between-isis-and-isil-333648963763

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Gail Wynand posted:

Billy Corgan is a big Alex Jones fan so he'd probably be on board.

That's CEO of TNA wrestling Billy Corgan to you :colbert:

rscott fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 14, 2016

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

rscott posted:

That's CEO of TNA wrestling Billy Corgan to you :colbert:
Apparently he's explicitly endorsed Trump, kind of surprised he went that far actually.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has he always been right wing?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle posted:

IMO Obama (and everyone else, for that matter!) should only ever call them Daesh. We'd stop giving Egyptian gods and fake spy organizations a bad name, and calling the group Daesh annoys the piss out of them. Win-win!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/764909726278836225

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/708474355211227136

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When even conservative talk radio hosts are responding to their conscience and saying "I can't keep lying for Trump" then you know poo poo is hosed

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

zoux posted:

They used to bitch about how he pronounced Afghanistan too.

I thought it was his (more correct) pronunciation of Pakistan, with the first "a" like "father" rather than… "rather".

If Russia continues to invade Ukraine, I bet we'll see the same thing with "The Ukraine". (It's actually hard for me to remember to drop the "the", I'm old.)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well, Donald Trump (Sr.) WAS a Democrat, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

foobardog posted:

I thought it was his (more correct) pronunciation of Pakistan, with the first "a" like "father" rather than… "rather".

If Russia continues to invade Ukraine, I bet we'll see the same thing with "The Ukraine". (It's actually hard for me to remember to drop the "the", I'm old.)

father and rather rhyme tho :confused:

• Locked thread