Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

When even conservative talk radio hosts are responding to their conscience and saying "I can't keep lying for Trump" then you know poo poo is hosed

It's too late though. If he isn't willing to go along with the ride then they'll find someone who will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

father and rather rhyme tho :confused:

Not if you have a proper accent.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

When even conservative talk radio hosts are responding to their conscience and saying "I can't keep lying for Trump" then you know poo poo is hosed

Charlie Sykes is probably the number one reason Trump didn't win Wisconsin in the primary.

I remember posting at the time that Trump was not down with the conservative talk show crowd in Wisconsin and someone who wasn't from Wisconsin posted to tell me that AM radio doesn't matter and blah blah. Charlie Sykes is a pretty big deal there.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

This is true. I know so many people that GTFO of Milwaukee and moved to the northern suburbs of Chicago for that reason. Honestly, broken windows theory on paper (and the implementation that NYC used) seems racist as gently caress, but then you see what it's actually addressing and attempting to prevent happening in the case of Milwaukee and Detroit, and it makes you say "I get it, but y'all still racist as gently caress, but I get it"

I'm late because sleep, but broken windows theory would be fine if they implemented it as, instead of arresting black people for vandalism and loitering, they asked them to take jobs performing urban beautification. How many gang members tagging walls are untapped artists who could do real work given funding, motivation, and a person who thinks they have real value as people?

There are really cool murals and art in Milwaukee, both official and in the form of tags. It would be awesome if they covered all the old factories in art and maintained the gardening and such, but that would cost money better spent on murdering black people, apparently. Meanwhile Republican mayors in New Mexico are better at their jobs than Democrats in the North. :v:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Goatman Sacks posted:

Oh hey I just remembered Milwaukee is where noted house slave David Clarke is in charge. He's already calling in the national guard to put down those mean darkies -

http://fox6now.com/2016/08/14/milwaukee-county-sheriff-david-clarke-requests-mobilization-of-national-guard/

I think the correct term is Uncle Ruckus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ZRAmz-NWM

Also megadeath sucks, Metallica was better without Mustaine. I personally don't see why one hates or likes a musician for their beliefs unless say they killed someone for their beliefs. Like Vargs.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 14, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
some of you may remember noted poll uncucker Bill Mitchell from a post I made early today or late yesterday. Well, turns out he was up to the exact same poo poo in 2012:

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/262629600918634496

I like to think I have more self-awareness than this. I hope I do, anyway

e: well he is a radio host, so maybe it's all performative

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 14, 2016

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

emdash posted:

some of you may remember noted poll uncucker Bill Mitchell from a post I made early today or late yesterday. Well, turns out he was up to the exact same poo poo in 2012:

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/262629600918634496

I like to think I have more self-awareness than this. I hope I do, anyway

e: well he is a radio host, so maybe it's all performative

Man, how do you guys dig through thousands and thousands of tweets to find stuff like this?

Still, good work. :lol:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mr Interweb posted:

Man, how do you guys dig through thousands and thousands of tweets to find stuff like this?

Still, good work. :lol:

Oh no, I can't take credit for this--I just follow good people. @dwdavison9318, in this case--an amazing follow for Turkey/Middle East news + views

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 14, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For those not in the know or haven't watched Triumph's election specials, allow me to enlighten you (a second just came out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaVKf5Piqrs

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Say Trump was ahead in all the polls except a Mother Jones survey or something, and liberals, or even Hillary herself, said that they were misleading or biased. Can you even imagine how many "whiney liberals" segments the right wing media would run?

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The argument I've heard is that "Maliki actually wanted us to stay, he / nefarious elements of his administration were just playing hardball with unserious demands like trying US soldiers in Iraqi courts to get more concessions".

It's not completely implausible if you're someone who assumes that Obama's diplomacy is a limp-wristed incompetent failure on all counts everywhere.

It's basically this. It allows them to play up Obama's lack of business experience (clearly the number one qualification for presidency), call him weak and naive, and it totally fits with their recollection of the Iraq War.

There's no way the populace actually had issue with the behavior of US soldiers. Abu Ghraib was fratboy hazing antics blown out of proportion. Our brave soldiers were defending themselves with impeccable restraint during Fallujah and similar incidents never happened anywhere else in the country. It was just Maliki trying to get concessions out of us.

The specifics of what the Iraqis actually wanted, rather than autonomy and their feigned desire to have the ability to try US Soldiers for assaults/rapes/murders, are never clarified by the proponents of this theory. Thus fitting in with American Politics' greatest example of the Horseshoe Theory: Obama's Foreign Policy is evil.

e:

Crow Jane posted:

Say Trump was ahead in all the polls except a Mother Jones survey or something, and liberals, or even Hillary herself, said that they were misleading or biased. Can you even imagine how many "whiney liberals" segments the right wing media would run?

We saw some of that this spring. For some reason, the RWM supported those conspiracy theories.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

Probably about as many as they are right now, which is the standard amount which is to say a whole lot

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Don't think these have been posted yet but Peter Serafinowicz's Trump Dubs are amazing. If I didn't know he would ruin the country, I would vote Sassy Trump in an instant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eORnMWDI_F0

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crow Jane posted:

They already blew their load on that during Trump's convention bump before the Dem convention.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has anyone here filled out the form to be an election observer for Trump? I'm curious what they are actually telling people to do.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

Did we leave residual troops in Vietnam after we pulled out?

No.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Did we leave residual troops in Vietnam after we pulled out?

Please watch the documentary "Rambo First Blood: Part II" for all of your questions.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

In certain (fundamentalist/racist/bigoted) circles it is accepted that Islam is straight up evil and the actual root cause for all terrorist attacks and all of the trouble in the Middle East. They see a refusal by Obama (and everyone else with a brain) to point this out as him being weak (or as proof that he himself is Muslim).

"RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM" is mostly a dog whistle to those groups of people. Those using it let their base know that they are good Christians like them and will smite the unbelievers while retaining the ability to hide behind "I didn't say Islam was bad, only the radical portions!" if called out for blaming a religion for the actions of a few.

I wonder if thes same fuckers thought the Catholic Church was behind the IRA?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

father and rather rhyme tho :confused:

What, are you some sort of High Falutin New Englander Yankee or a Brit?

æ versus ɑ in IPA. lad, bat, cat, match rather versus palm, calm, ha, matching father.

But that's just me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

radical meme posted:

I wonder if thes same fuckers thought the Catholic Church was behind the IRA?

It's always jarring when I'm reminded that if I'd been born like 20-40 years earlier people also would've hated me for my family's religious background too. Like the notion that Catholics used to be acceptable targets (as well as Italians!) is mind blowing to me, even though it shouldn't be.

I also live in an area with a lot of Italian and German Catholics though, I suppose.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

It's always jarring when I'm reminded that if I'd been born like 20-40 years earlier people also would've hated me for my family's religious background too. Like the notion that Catholics used to be acceptable targets (as well as Italians!) is mind blowing to me, even though it shouldn't be.

I also live in an area with a lot of Italian and German Catholics though, I suppose.

JFK's supposedly loyalty to a foriegn power, the pope, was a big deal in the campaign.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lightning Knight posted:

I like to use this as an example to right-wing people of why worrying about Muslims and Mexicans doesn't make sense. Basically all the complaints the right has about immigration nowadays existed back around the turn of the century but applied to the likes of Italians and Poles and Jews.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm Slavic as gently caress, and it's pretty jarring to think about how people like me are treated in Western Europe right this minute. In America we're just white people with funny names, at least every place I've ever lived.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
As an fyi to people that don't know, you can search twiiter pretty well if you know the syntax for advanced searches. So I could do
code:

and it would give me, in reverse chronological, everything from @mitchellvii that had the word "poll" starting from 12-31-2012 on back. It's fun for a laugh to see old tweets but not typically very necessary.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pakled posted:

I like to use this as an example to right-wing people of why worrying about Muslims and Mexicans doesn't make sense. Basically all the complaints the right has about immigration nowadays existed back around the turn of the century but applied to the likes of Italians and Poles and Jews.

They still don't like them. They've just got other things to get white-hot hate filled about.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Pakled posted:

Preeeeeeetty sure that trying to appeal to the Right Wing using (((Jews))) as an example is a flawed approach.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

JFK's supposedly loyalty to a foriegn power, the pope, was a big deal in the campaign.

See this I did know. I used to giggle at this when I would read the textbook in Catholic school cause it didn't make any sense. Why would somebody who was cool hang out with the Pope, who was decidedly anti-cool? Obviously I understand now, but as a kid it was just dumb and funny.

But yeah know it's really funny to see conservative Italian and German Catholics talk poo poo about Mexicans and Arab Muslims, there is no expanding ironicat big enough.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pakled posted:

So conservatives are dying out statistically in America and there are groups of comparatively conservative, comparatively low-information, religious and traditionalist voters that want to move here?

If you're a conservative obviously the smart thing to do is to hate them because of their race or relgion because

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'm glad that whole "2nd amendment" thing by Trump gained a lot of traction, but I also realized that there was barely any blips out of the media when one of his campaign leaders literally said that Hillary should be executed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

Bitching about immigrants is part of our founding principles:

quote:

And since Detachments of English from Britain, sent to America, will have their Places at Home so soon supply'd and increase so largely here; why should the Palatine Boors be suffered to swarm into our Settlements and, by herding together, establish their Language and Manners, to the Exclusion of ours? Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs any more than they can acquire our Complexion?

Honestly we should just change our motto from In God We Trust to Ugh, those people.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 14, 2016

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

See this I did know. I used to giggle at this when I would read the textbook in Catholic school cause it didn't make any sense. Why would somebody who was cool hang out with the Pope, who was decidedly anti-cool? Obviously I understand now, but as a kid it was just dumb and funny.

But yeah know it's really funny to see conservative Italian and German Catholics talk poo poo about Mexicans and Arab Muslims, there is no expanding ironicat big enough.

I'm making my way through Nixonland, and it claims that part of the success of the "Southern" Strategy was to prime "ethnic" whites like Poles to see black people as ungrateful invaders compared to their own ability to be hard working.

In theory, this game of increasing the boundaries of whiteness could have been played with Arabs, Persians, Latinos, East Asians, South Asians, and possibly even middle-class blacks. That was not how they played their hand, though, it may have been too much of a pivot. It'll probably be what comes out of the wreckage of the current Republican Party.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm glad that whole "2nd amendment" thing by Trump gained a lot of traction, but I also realized that there was barely any blips out of the media when one of his campaign leaders literally said that Hillary should be executed.

If they connect enough dots average Americans might realize the truth isn't actually in the middle and Republicans don't actually operate in good faith and may, in fact, be racist. :ohdear:

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Have you seen this before? It's a political cartoon by Thomas Nast depicting Catholicism as crocodiles invading America. It's almost Kelly-esque.

The campaign of Al Smith in 1928 was riddled with accusations of secret loyalty to the Vatican. The KKK even campaigned for alcohol prohibition (the more I hear about them the less I like) specifically because they wanted to spite Irish Catholics.

I bet if you probe deep enough most Evangelicals probably still have deepseated anti-Catholic sentiment.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Donkwich posted:

I bet if you probe deep enough most Evangelicals probably still have deepseated anti-Catholic sentiment.

They do. If they could get victory over the Godless Sodomite Commie Muslims, they would turn on the Catholics in a heartbeat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Donkwich posted:

Have you seen this before? It's a political cartoon by Thomas Nast depicting Catholicism as crocodiles invading America. It's almost Kelly-esque.

The campaign of Al Smith in 1928 was riddled with accusations of secret loyalty to the Vatican. The KKK even campaigned for alcohol prohibition (the more I hear about them the less I like) specifically because they wanted to spite Irish Catholics.

This reminds me of a whole bunch of pro-KKK political cartoons from around that time.
http://imgur.com/a/bsE2O
They're a doozy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

foobardog posted:

I'm making my way through Nixonland, and it claims that part of the success of the "Southern" Strategy was to prime "ethnic" whites like Poles to see black people as ungrateful invaders compared to their own ability to be hard working.

In theory, this game of increasing the boundaries of whiteness could have been played with Arabs, Persians, Latinos, East Asians, South Asians, and possibly even middle-class blacks. That was not how they played their hand, though, it may have been too much of a pivot. It'll probably be what comes out of the wreckage of the current Republican Party.

They were doing pretty good with Middle Easterners afaik prior to 9/11 and then whomp whomp. For the record, according to the census ME is white so when they hate middle easterners is it just another case of endemic white on white violence?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 14, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Donkwich posted:

Alot do, most of the pre tribulation types see the post tribulation world being lead by the Catholic church.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey Crowsbeak, why do you love Trump so much?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I work for one of the companies who had a store torched in milfuckie. I hope the protesters and firefighters are ok. Alot of poo poo in our stores gives off horribly toxic chemicals when burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Spacebump posted:

Has anyone here filled out the form to be an election observer for Trump? I'm curious what they are actually telling people to do.

I'm optimistically assuming there's some FBI agents or, at least, undercover journalists filling in those forms as we speak.

• Locked thread