Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

When is someone going to actually do a translation of Busin 0?

I guess based on the short bit of the game I played the translation work is probably dense as gently caress, which might explain why nobody has done it.

I would like to see that if only because I find the artwork for that game goddamn incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

ara fell: ive only played the prologue so i cant make a real judgement on the combat yet but the game looks really nice and the character moves really fast on the overworld which is important to me specifically

Beat it shortly after its Steam release and was pretty impressed with it. The map design is impressive considering it only uses a few old tilesets. The RM2K3 combat system is slow, but the additions make it feel different enough from the default battle system.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Shallie is such a downgrade from e&l it makes me sad :(

It really is not very good in comparison. I don't think the time limit made E&L, exactly but it was definitely a more focused game. Crafting was more fun too. Doing good crafting in Shallie is so tedious. I started to make some good gear before the sand dragon and got bored halfway through.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also browsing your tasks in shallie sucks, what an awful ui

the only good thing about it is Homura, who is awesome

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

also browsing your tasks in shallie sucks, what an awful ui

the only good thing about it is Homura, who is awesome

Green Shallie is good, Homura is good, everyone else is pretty boring. I really want to like it but I think I might have to move on :sigh:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad I picked up pokemon uranium before they took it down, but it seems like it has a memory leak

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Maybe if they hadn't made such a big deal out of it Nintendo wouldn't have either. There are like 20 other Pokemon fangames like Pokemon Uranium out there and I haven't heard of any of them getting targeted by Nintendo. It'a when their fans hype it up or spread word about them to "media outlets" that the lawyers start to show up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Maybe if they hadn't made such a big deal out of it Nintendo wouldn't have either. There are like 20 other Pokemon fangames like Pokemon Uranium out there and I haven't heard of any of them getting targeted by Nintendo. It'a when their fans hype it up or spread word about them to "media outlets" that the lawyers start to show up.

uranium hasnt been targeted either afaik they just took it down cause of the bandwidth usage

fun fact nintendo doesnt own pokemon

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

uranium hasnt been targeted either afaik they just took it down cause of the bandwidth usage

fun fact nintendo doesnt own pokemon

"The game was downloaded some 1.5 million times over the past week, according to the development team, but after being "notified of multiple takedown notices from lawyers representing Nintendo of America," they elected to pull the download links from their official page."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/14/12472616/pokemon-uranium-taken-down-nintendo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol iced

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
who here cried when playing pokemon mystery dungeon?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i cry all the time and i played pokemon mystery dungeon, so probably me? it isn't like the game induced tears, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Verranicus posted:

"The game was downloaded some 1.5 million times over the past week, according to the development team, but after being "notified of multiple takedown notices from lawyers representing Nintendo of America," they elected to pull the download links from their official page."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/14/12472616/pokemon-uranium-taken-down-nintendo
as i understand it Nintendo owns like 25% of pokemon or something crazy low like that but that still entitles them to be legal pricks

i dont see how a fangame is any different from fanart though. when FOX was crazy litigious they used to have Simpsons fansites shut down with C&Ds because only FOX was allowed to use Simpsons art. FOX was loving out of their minds

i also don't prescribe to the "it's their right, fan stuff is illegal" sort of thing you hear a lot nowadays because nothing about copyright law is legal or illegal until it gets decided in a courtroom which it almost never is (and I don't think big business should get to be the ones to decide what is legal and illegal in copyright via intimidation tactics)

anyway I finished Deadly Sin 1 holy poo poo does that have a couple of awful bosses. now i'm starting on Deadly Sin 2 and already the game has some of the UI and mechanics of Skyborn so it's getting better quickly

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i dont see how a fangame is any different from fanart though.

Fanart does not provide a direct competition to the primary product, using assets borrowed from the original product.

Like Pokemon Uranium isn't "100% fan Pokemon." It's borrowing existing stuff and releasing it the same year as a new upcoming Pokemon game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Fanart does not provide a direct competition to the primary product.
That's debatable when fanart can easily be (and often is) sold as merchandise, prints, etc. which Nintendo could be in the business of. The Yetee's entire business model is shirts based on video game characters/properties. But, they don't take it to court, so, nothing happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's debatable when fanart can easily be (and often is) sold as merchandise, prints, etc. The Yetee's entire business model is shirts based on video game characters/properties. But, they don't take it to court, so, nothing happens.

Selling fanart is and will always be an incredibly sticky area that gets ignored only because it isn't worth the time and PR trouble.

Regardless, this isn't a "selling fanart' case. It is literally using existing Nintendo assets. The closest comparison is something like DBZA which always has skirted the edges and probably would be completely hosed if someone decided to seriously go after them despite having such a good relationship with the dubbing studio that they have voice actors in-jokes in the video games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At any rate its a lovely pokemon fangame and Psychic Waluigi still exists which is the only thing that matters

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Actually from the few I've played the Pokemon fangames seem to be better than average simply because of how obsessive the fanbase is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Actually from the few I've played the Pokemon fangames seem to be better than average simply because of how obsessive the fanbase is.

Eh, they run into the usual 'fangame' problem of being designed by people so hard into the gameplay that they can't really grasp how to make it accessible to outsiders or people who just have poor grips at balance so things are all over the place.

I don't know how Pokemon Uranium is but at very least it has some fuckin' ugly-rear end art design.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's actually really, really weird that Uranium got taken down. The same author has already made two other fangames of similar style (I know, right), and there's literally hundreds of other pokemon fangames, romhacks, etc floating around, most in demo form but some actually complete, and big, and popular. Heck, Insurgence, the previous game from the Uranium guy, is popular enough to have its own reasonably populated subreddit. Why now? Why are the rest still up? Did it break through some invincible invisible (god drat it I can't believe I mixed up invisible and invincible, I haven't done that since english lessons in school) popularity barrier?

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 14, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Amppelix posted:

It's actually really, really weird that Uranium got taken down. The same author has already made two other fangames of similar style (I know, right), and there's literally hundreds of other pokemon fangames, romhacks, etc floating around, most in demo form but some actually complete, and big, and popular. Heck, Insurgence, the previous game from the Uranium guy, is popular enough to have its own reasonably populated subreddit. Why now? Why are the rest still up? Did it break through some invincible popularity barrier?

This got press attention.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

It's actually really, really weird that Uranium got taken down. The same author has already made two other fangames of similar style (I know, right), and there's literally hundreds of other pokemon fangames, romhacks, etc floating around, most in demo form but some actually complete, and big, and popular. Heck, Insurgence, the previous game from the Uranium guy, is popular enough to have its own reasonably populated subreddit. Why now? Why are the rest still up? Did it break through some invincible popularity barrier?

It got a ton of promotion and publicity.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Selling fanart is and will always be an incredibly sticky area that gets ignored only because it isn't worth the time and PR trouble.

Regardless, this isn't a "selling fanart' case. It is literally using existing Nintendo assets. The closest comparison is something like DBZA which always has skirted the edges and probably would be completely hosed if someone decided to seriously go after them despite having such a good relationship with the dubbing studio that they have voice actors in-jokes in the video games.

It's kind of weirder in a way because the fangame isn't being sold for profit (or at all). So it feels like going after meaningless competition (same for taking down that Nintendo Power archive).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's literally just because it became public knowledge

if nintendo doesn't do stuff like this, they have less legal ground to stand on when their IPs are actually being infringed in a real way

im sure someone at nintendo's legal department is fully aware of most random pokemon fangames, but they don't care because they aren't getting mainstream games press coverage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

let's paint a picture with words

some guy makes a super blatantly pokemon knockoff and sells it for 20 bucks on steam. not just mechanics, but characters and designs are copied wholesale. this is an actual copyright infringement.

scenario A:

knockoff dev: why is nintendo going after me, when they didn't go after THIS!

Nintendo: we had no knowledge of this

knockoff dev: it was on major gaming news sites like kotaku and polygon

judge: hm. you're right. that is selectively enforcing their ip, and they shalt be owned.

scenario B:

knockoff dev: why is nintendo going after me, when they didn't go after THIS!

Nintendo: that's a flash game you found on an angelfire site from 2005. we've enforced our IP in every case we're aware of, such as this game which was mentioned on various big gaming news sites/

Judge: Hm. you're right. you had no knowledge of that, and you shalt not be owned.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

so basically games journalists ruin everything again

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

let's paint a picture with words

some guy makes a super blatantly pokemon knockoff and sells it for 20 bucks on steam. not just mechanics, but characters and designs are copied wholesale.

This feels like something that actually already exists, but only because the Steam thread has shown me such wonders.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wonder what would've happened to the recettear devs' old fan sequel to skygunner that got localized and released on gamersgate if people had actually cared about skygunner enough for it to become a big thing on gaming news sites

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rip skygunner and steambot chronicles and other games atlus doesnt feel like doing modern ports of

i think easygamestation also did a doujin game for dew prism

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

rip skygunner and steambot chronicles and other games atlus doesnt feel like doing modern ports of

i think easygamestation also did a doujin game for dew prism

they did

they also did one for read or die

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 14, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Translate Ele Paper Action, Spacedrake.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiyU3EJmhxI

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
How does Steambot Chronicles hold up now? I remember reading about it and it seemed interesting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mycot posted:

This feels like something that actually already exists, but only because the Steam thread has shown me such wonders.

uh minimon is clearly not pokemon as it has mini in the name thank u

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

uh minimon is clearly not pokemon as it has mini in the name thank u

Hmm. $9.99, Early Access. Close enough.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here's everything i know about minimon: it's a bad game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth at the moment and just out of curiosity; is the protagonist a foreigner in Japan in the original Japanese version? Just wondering if it's something fudged into the script for the western release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth at the moment and just out of curiosity; is the protagonist a foreigner in Japan in the original Japanese version? Just wondering if it's something fudged into the script for the western release.
the canon name for them is Takumi Aiba, so

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

How does Steambot Chronicles hold up now? I remember reading about it and it seemed interesting.

It has a lot of very wonky poo poo going on and lots of "a-ha, got you!" traps but at the sametime you can early on side with the villain and procede to wreck you teammates on the path to fulfilling the villains evil goals so its worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i wonder what would've happened to the recettear devs' old fan sequel to skygunner that got localized and released on gamersgate if people had actually cared about skygunner enough for it to become a big thing on gaming news sites

I'm going to say nothing because PixelArts seems to have vanished after SkyGunners release. But doujin software exists in this tolerated grey market and the stereotype is that America is more litigious than Japan. Or maybe it's just easier for Americans to raise hell about copyright infringement so the argument becomes "why not?" If you submit a complaint to Google about a Youtube video they remove the content first and ask questions later because that's the power of DMCA.