Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pakled posted:

This reminds me of a whole bunch of pro-KKK political cartoons from around that time.
http://imgur.com/a/bsE2O
They're a doozy.

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

Funny thing is, my mother's side of the family is so Pennsylvania Dutch that, by my grandma's generation, they still were only half-integrated. My grandparents spoke almost entirely in dialect among family members, they lived in a community which was mostly PA Dutch, ate only their traditional foods, and we had several Nazi sympathizers running around during WWII. And yet that side of the family is all anti-immigrant as gently caress.

(I've even shown some of them that quote. Their response? "Yeah, but we're German, so we obey the rules." No. We're not German. Nobody in this family has set foot in Germany since 1720-something. Get off it.)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Air is lava! posted:

What's the deal with that anyway? I've seen tons of comments from people who almost literally claim this and that Obama should finally say that. They always write those words in all caps though.
What's the idea behind this, and why is this specific phrasing so important? Do they just think that those three words are inherently linked? If they assume that those words all mean the same thing, why do they want to repeat it three times? I'm trying to apply logic to something fundamentally stupid, but I kinda want to know where this is coming from.

Obama's true name is Msirorret Cimalsi Lacidar and him saying it out backwards will send him back to his home dimension of Kenya .

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Donkwich posted:

I bet if you probe deep enough most Evangelicals probably still have deepseated anti-Catholic sentiment.

We apparently literally worship either the anti-Christ or Dagon. Possibly both.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

We apparently literally worship either the anti-Christ or Dagon. Possibly both.

Don't forget that Catholics are polytheists because of the veneration of saints and Mary. Although in my home state, worshipping Saints is fine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Barudak posted:

Don't forget that Catholics are polytheists because of the veneration of saints and Mary. Although in my home state, worshipping Saints is fine.

Third Street, bitches!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Barudak posted:

Polythiests and idolaters, what with relics and stuff like that.

*EDIT*

There's also casual racism thrown in to it, at least with my Baptist/Church of Christ kinfolk out in west Texas. Most if all of the Catholics that they know are Mexican.

Granted, part of the reason of this is because the Baptist Church elders and what not chased off the German Catholics from the town but they don't really talk about that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Donkwich posted:

Have you seen this before? It's a political cartoon by Thomas Nast depicting Catholicism as crocodiles invading America. It's almost Kelly-esque.

this makes me so mad because this comic is legit amazing and our polititoons today are either crosshatching gone amok or DUMB AND SO GODDAMN CRAZY and it's just the worst.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You know part of me would have loved to see if Polytheistic faiths had stuck around a bit more. I mean in the West, obviously Africa and India are there own set of cool things.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Josef bugman posted:

You know part of me would have loved to see if Polytheistic faiths had stuck around a bit more. I mean in the West, obviously Africa and India are there own set of cool things.

Julian the Apostate did nothing wrong.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

I would love to see what would have happened if Knut the great had come along a century earlier and had united the nordic countries, then reformed the Faith.

Then again you'd probably get something hilarious like people in the UK in that timeline complaining about not being able to go to the cool "stone temples" they have in Southern Europe. Or that this Jesus fellow sounds really like Baldur, is there a connection?!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

this makes me so mad because this comic is legit amazing and our polititoons today are either crosshatching gone amok or DUMB AND SO GODDAMN CRAZY and it's just the worst.

Most of the comics back then were really bad, too. You've likely only seen the really good ones

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

citybeatnik posted:

This but ironically. Basically all the dead religions of the world are better and cooler than the living ones. :smith:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

This but ironically. Basically all the dead religions of the world are better and cooler than the living ones. :smith:

So how much do you know about the Classical religion?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

I like to use this as an example to right-wing people of why worrying about Muslims and Mexicans doesn't make sense. Basically all the complaints the right has about immigration nowadays existed back around the turn of the century but applied to the likes of Italians and Poles and Jews.

And the Irish; don't forget the Irish.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Crowsbeak posted:

Well I've played over 700 hours of Crusader Kings 2 and often as a Hellenic-faith Byzantium soooo

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
For those of you who know former Trump supporters (or, I guess, were one yourselves) who have turned on him, what was the turning point or specific moment where their support lapsed?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the comics back then were really bad, too. You've likely only seen the really good ones

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

Well I've played over 700 hours of Crusader Kings 2 and often as a Hellenic-faith Byzantium soooo

Yeah read some history books not written by some aristocratic whig in the 1700s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crowsbeak posted:

So enlighten us with this wisdom

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

radical meme posted:

I wonder if thes same fuckers thought the Catholic Church was behind the IRA?

Try this, or KKK if they're P.

It's pure gold.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Donkwich posted:

Have you seen this before? It's a political cartoon by Thomas Nast depicting Catholicism as crocodiles invading America. It's almost Kelly-esque.

The campaign of Al Smith in 1928 was riddled with accusations of secret loyalty to the Vatican. The KKK even campaigned for alcohol prohibition (the more I hear about them the less I like) specifically because they wanted to spite Irish Catholics.

I bet if you probe deep enough most Evangelicals probably still have deepseated anti-Catholic sentiment.

Yeah but that was before the unifying call to save the fetus swept evangelicalism, giving them common cause with Catholics that was further bolstered by hating the gays. Now it seems more like Catholics who aren't too ethnic, too into social justice, or too culturally different from evangelicals, are o.k. because they serve the mission.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

For those of you who know former Trump supporters (or, I guess, were one yourselves) who have turned on him, what was the turning point or specific moment where their support lapsed?

I knew one. He wasn't very pro-Trump so much as he was anti-Clinton. He grew more uncertain with Trump as the campaign went on, but the final straw was the Khizr Khan case. He's a veteran, and how Trump talked about Gold Star families really upset him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Donkwich posted:

The campaign of Al Smith in 1928 was riddled with accusations of secret loyalty to the Vatican. The KKK even campaigned for alcohol prohibition (the more I hear about them the less I like) specifically because they wanted to spite Irish Catholics.

I haven't, but it's pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing!

My dad delivers gas for a living (at least until the end of the year), and his company delivers to the BP station that got torched in Milwaukee. He was on the phone with the owner, the owner doesn't understand why they burned his store and is very sad. :smith:

Edit: for those interested, he'll be getting insurance money and the store was kinda lovely so he won't go bankrupt or anything. He just thinks they thought he was responsible or something and were targeting him, because he had been having issues with local youth at the store. Apparently the clerk got stupid and fired some "warning shots" in the past and it turned into a shitfest.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 15, 2016

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Chakan posted:

As an fyi to people that don't know, you can search twiiter pretty well if you know the syntax for advanced searches. So I could do
code:
and it would give me, in reverse chronological, everything from @mitchellvii that had the word "poll" starting from 12-31-2012 on back. It's fun for a laugh to see old tweets but not typically very necessary.

This is extremely useful. Thanks!

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpWiV-zLoM

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Huh.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Barudak posted:

I dated a girl in college who wanted to become Catholic after a trip to Italy where we visited a lot of Catholic Churches and stuff. She was from this po dunk town in Ohio and when she told her mom she said something like "Catholics? Don't they worship some woman?"

I was dumbfounded. I grew up in an area where Catholicism was the norm and went to Catholic school and a Catholic college so I had never been exposed to any anti-Catholic sentiment that wasn't from the whole child abuse thing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

So enlighten us with this wisdom

You do know that they were fine with blood letting in Theater right? As a form of sacrifice right? That blood letting was a major part of the ancient religion right? Just read Pagans reactions to Julian the Apostate to reestablish the old religion its all about blood sacrifice. Also I wonder if all of you would like to live in Ancient ROme what with their policies on women?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

You do know that they were fine with blood letting in Theater right? As a form of sacrifice right? That blood letting was a major part of the ancient religion right?

What's the problem with that, scared of a little blood?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Donkwich posted:

I see even old-timey political cartoons aren't immune from self owns. Super rad crocodiles vs some slightly chubby-faced kid with an ascot.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm really happy posters here are using uncuck in place of unskew when talking about Republican delusions.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

What's the problem with that, scared of a little blood?

Human blood, yes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

This reminds me of a whole bunch of pro-KKK political cartoons from around that time.
http://imgur.com/a/bsE2O
They're a doozy.

Funny how opinions on Parochial schools switched once the Separation of Church and State was actually enforced...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Human blood, yes.

Ok so you're some kind of weirdo who apparently hasn't lost a large number of modern performances across legit theater, movies, concerts, etc? Because frankly you just made the dumbest possible argument for why ancient religions are bad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

You do know that they were fine with blood letting in Theater right? As a form of sacrifice right? That blood letting was a major part of the ancient religion right? Just read Pagans reactions to Julian the Apostate to reestablish the old religion its all about blood sacrifice. Also I wonder if all of you would like to live in Ancient ROme what with their policies on women?

Classic Greek, maybe not so much. But as a seperate arguement, did ancient Christianity change Roman attitudes towards women? Ancient Celtic/Germanic would be interesting, especially as I am sure that a lot of the religious rites the romans described just "upped the body count" as it were. I mean there wasn't really a sudden shift in what the Roman "Matrons" could do even after Christianity takes over.

As for human blood? well it wouldn't suprise me, but it also wouldn't be the pre-modern world without executions for reasons we now find distinctly specuous. I mean look at the bog bodies, in that case it always seems to be a combination of "Sacrifice the king because we need a good harvest" but often just as much "This guy lost, chuck him in the marsh".

And I wouldn't mind having a nice sacred bull steak after going to the newer temples. Maybe give mine away to the poor on Saturnalia. Of course I don't go as much as I should, but it's all about faith isn't it. And I truly believe that Jupiter lives in all of us, usually via having sex with some distant female ancestress.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 15, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:perfect:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/764880673568067584

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crowsbeak posted:

So are you talking about like opening your own vein here or about sacrificing humans?

Animal sacrifice if it's quick is hard for me to get mad about in any context. Cutting yourself open is kind of hosed up but more of a hygiene/health thing. Cutting OTHER PEOPLE open is completely wrong, of course (though I don't think you have to dig too deep to find similar practices under a Christian umbrella).

Also what's your source on these details?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nessus posted:

So are you talking about like opening your own vein here or about sacrificing humans?

He's literally talking about like plays and poo poo. Apparently he hates that sometimes the ancients didn't have modern fake blood packs and so would use straight up superficial cuts for some blood to slop around on stage.

• Locked thread