Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

What's that word for shocked but not at all surprised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What's that word for shocked but not at all surprised?

Trumped

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This won't go anywhere. We literally already knew Paul Manafort is a Russian plant. Trump is just a useful idiot, Manafort has always been the real representative of the influence of a foreign government, it's just that Trump is so blatantly stupid that the American electorate hates him.

As we've seen in the Phillipines, if Trump were running in a non-Western democracy with less competent opponents and a more corrupt system (I.e. What Americans think our system is, rather than what it is) Manafort would already have him in office and that country dancing to Putin's tune. It's a lot harder to do that poo poo here though, for a variety of reasons, not all of them good.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Crowsbeak posted:

Ah, so Fishmech would you be fine with people mutilating others who might not even be consenting in theaters and then say it was necessary to please a God? Also are Christians required to hurt a person?

Seriously, do you _not_ know anything about professional wrestling in this day and age? The entire career of Mick Foley, for example.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah you obviously know nothing of the classical era lol.

Says the guy who believes random Christian lunatics, who claimed the Romans totally engaged in mass human sacrifice.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Did anything ever come of that Dailymail story about the Clinton Foundation being investigated by DoJ?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

radmonger posted:

If anyone is wondering what the derail of the last few pages is about, this explains it: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/jan/10/comment.film

Though the idea that prefessional wrestling is a form of ritual blood magic is a new one to me. Not sure why I never spotted that before; it is obvious once pointed out.

Thank you! It's these little things that make you realize how deeply weird the world remains.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

This won't go anywhere. We literally already knew Paul Manafort is a Russian plant. Trump is just a useful idiot, Manafort has always been the real representative of the influence of a foreign government, it's just that Trump is so blatantly stupid that the American electorate hates him.

As we've seen in the Phillipines, if Trump were running in a non-Western democracy with less competent opponents and a more corrupt system (I.e. What Americans think our system is, rather than what it is) Manafort would already have him in office and that country dancing to Putin's tune. It's a lot harder to do that poo poo here though, for a variety of reasons, not all of them good.

We did, but nobody had any smoking gun. A NYT writer said they had a piece of Manafort in the chamber for this week that has nastier stuff than even this so I doubt this is a dud of a story

Unzip and Attack posted:

Did anything ever come of that Dailymail story about the Clinton Foundation being investigated by DoJ?

It was all made up to boost sales of Clinton Cash

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

Of course, it was all known (though the allegation of $17m in payoffs and much more in money laundering is newish). Mostly posted due to the tweeter.

Also:
News:
https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/764992807236808704

Views:
https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/764994432076742657

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's also a matter of making Obama dance to their specific phrasing. Trump and other Republicans are trying to control what Democrats say and don't say. If Obama doesn't use the magic words, they get to say he's not "getting serious" about "terrorism," and if he does use the words, it looks like they cowed him into using the words. Just playground bullying writ large.

Plus it makes a good soundbite -- "why won't Obama call terrorists terrorists?" -- even if the soundbite is, of course, manifestly untrue if you think about it for half a second. On that angle it plays into the many similar times Republicans have criticized Obama for "refusing to call [_____] terror" when he did in fact call whatever incident an act of terror but they're ignoring it.

Controlling the language we use in politics is a key part of Republican strategy - look at things like the "death tax" for another example.

Night10194 posted:

I think the purest, most beautiful part of this is it being RTed by Lewandowski.

Same, it's lovely.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel I should point out that this doesn't actually connect Manafort to Russia. It's quite a bit more likely that the money was basically stolen from the Ukrainian people rather than paid for by Kremlin.
The Yanukovich regime was very much about personal enrichment, foreign policy aspects were very much secondary.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
Why does it feel like Trump's entire campaign is staffed by trash-tier Russian sleeper agents?

Oh right. Because it is.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is Manafort open to tax evasion charges from not reporting the bribes?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Augus posted:

Remember that scene in Django Unchained where Leonardo Dicaprio accidentally cut his hand while hamming it up for the Academy and they kept filming the rest of the scene with him bleeding real blood? That was crazy.

It's even more hosed up when you remember that he smeared all over Kerry Washington's face, and the horror in her expression is real.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

OddObserver posted:

I feel I should point out that this doesn't actually connect Manafort to Russia. It's quite a bit more likely that the money was basically stolen from the Ukrainian people rather than paid for by Kremlin.
The Yanukovich regime was very much about personal enrichment, foreign policy aspects were very much secondary.

Read the article, he is actually connected to deals with Putin's inner circle of oligarchs by it.

quote:

Among the hundreds of murky transactions these companies engaged in was an $18 million deal to sell Ukrainian cable television assets to a partnership put together by Mr. Manafort and a Russian oligarch, Oleg Deripaska, a close ally of President Vladimir V. Putin.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Read the article, he is actually connected to deals with Putin's inner circle of oligarchs by it.
Holy poo poo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
We are now halfway through August and Trump's entire campaign is still trending downward. He is literally running out of time to even stabilize things because if he goes into September with this stank of loser all over him he'll never be able to make up ground.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah you obviously know nothing of the classical era lol. It happened in fact it was remarked upon, sorry if reality doesn't agree with you.

I'm sorry but 'it happened' is not the same thing as ' it was a mass cultural custom done constantly for every god all over the Greek/Roman world.' Human sacrifice was perishingly rare in Rome; overall they found it distasteful and barbaric, and had it outlawed. Again, if you sincerely cared about this you'd portray it accurately instead of exaggerating and inventing stories to feel self-righteous about.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I did, but I don't see this as being some sort of secret-agent-trying-to-destroy-the-US sort of deal, but rather as thieves being thieves.
That's just what Putin's buddies do in Russia. That's what Yanukovich's buddies did in Ukraine (and many still do, since much of their
power isn't political, or at least not nationally political, but rather regionally oligarchic).

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I saw some businesses set on fire. I don't know why people think that's the go-to for poo poo like this.

Good job loving owners and employees out of property and income, I guess.

Probably because they get followed around and not hired or given equal service at businesses? I bet you would have hated sit-ins 70 years ago.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Cthulhumatic posted:

Why does it feel like Trump's entire campaign is staffed by trash-tier Russian sleeper agents?

Oh right. Because it is.

The funny part is that the even Russian Agents seem to be getting sick of his poo poo

Like yeah, it might be better for Putin if the US is a geopolitical trash fire but for Paul Manafort it's gotta be a nightmare working for Trump. He deserves every minute of that nightmare though.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's pretty incredible that this is all it takes for Corey Lewandowski to cite a NY Times article. Jackals

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We are now halfway through August and Trump's entire campaign is still trending downward. He is literally running out of time to even stabilize things because if he goes into September with this stank of loser all over him he'll never be able to make up ground.
Don't fret, we'll have all of Sept thru Oct 15 for random people to wander in and claim the worst equipped campaign in the history of politics is going to turn it all around cause 'BREXIT happened guys'

Oct 16-31 will be the fortnight of 'Assange will drop the bomb on Hill ANY DAY NOW' and failed toxxes.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Is Manafort open to tax evasion charges from not reporting the bribes?

He's open to more than just that. This definitely falls under Foreign Corrupt Practices.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZobarStyl posted:

Don't fret, we'll have all of Sept thru Oct 15 for random people to wander in and claim the worst equipped campaign in the history of politics is going to turn it all around cause 'BREXIT happened guys'

Oct 16-31 will be the fortnight of 'Assange will drop the bomb on Hill ANY DAY NOW' and failed toxxes.

If this Russia thing gains legs I think Assange is going to be out of the picture as far as the election goes. The "Wikileaks is a Russian mouthpiece" thing was a wild haymaker thrown by the Democrats in an attempt to deflect the damage of the DNC leaks, but between Trump's big fat loving mouth and Manafort's publicized pro-Russian ties, any future bombshells are going to be duds.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also, it's loving August and we're in the middle of an Olympics where everything from the infrastructure to the US coverage is awful, and Trump still manages to pull focus.

August is supposed to be sleepy and boring. Nothing of note is supposed to happen in August, and Trump can't even manage to do that right.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

If this Russia thing gains legs I think Assange is going to be out of the picture as far as the election goes. The "Wikileaks is a Russian mouthpiece" thing was a wild haymaker thrown by the Democrats in an attempt to deflect the damage of the DNC leaks, but between Trump's big fat loving mouth and Manafort's publicized pro-Russian ties, any future bombshells are going to be duds.

Uhm, that wikileaks was a Russian mouthpiece was very obvious way before the whole DNC thing happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Uhm, that wikileaks was a Russian mouthpiece was very obvious way before the whole DNC thing happened.

I know, but the US's usual partisan discourse would have made the accusation a non-starter if it weren't for Trump loudly and repeatedly blowing kisses to Putin and Manafort's own Russian ties. Now it's going to be part of any conversation about Wikileaks to the point where it might just drown out any controversy caused by whatever else they try to dig up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, but now Clinton and the DNC can look at legitimate documents, say they're forgeries by an obviously complicit party in an attempt by a foreign power to influence the election, and turn it into an attack on Trump

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man you guys remember when Trump was just insulting the Pope?

We've moved on since then huh?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ErIog posted:

Also, it's loving August and we're in the middle of an Olympics where everything from the infrastructure to the US coverage is awful, and Trump still manages to pull focus.

August is supposed to be sleepy and boring. Nothing of note is supposed to happen in August, and Trump can't even manage to do that right.

some of the US diving team got robbed at gunpoint and they had to drain the swimming pool because it turned green and started smelling like farts (the diving pool is having the same thing happen to it but they're refusing to drain that one though)

i imagine we'll get more olympics coverage

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Still though, things seem like they have been relatively quiet on the Trump front over the last few days. Is he still speaking in public every day and just not saying any new crazy things?

I mean, if he doesn't keep up the crazy, the media will turn to Hillary for basically the first time in the general election.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 15, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

*hand hovers over reset button for "Days since Trump's last gently caress-up" counter*

The single digit display is a money-saver like you won't believe.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

there wolf posted:

I'm sorry but 'it happened' is not the same thing as ' it was a mass cultural custom done constantly for every god all over the Greek/Roman world.' Human sacrifice was perishingly rare in Rome; overall they found it distasteful and barbaric, and had it outlawed. Again, if you sincerely cared about this you'd portray it accurately instead of exaggerating and inventing stories to feel self-righteous about.

As far as I know there were three incidences of human sacrifice during the whole of the Republican period. Each was in response to a massive and seemingly insurmountable threat to Roman independence like Hannibal's victory at Cannae or the invasion of the Germans when Marius was consul. They didn't do it unless they were desperate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SSNeoman posted:

*hand hovers over reset button for "Days since Trump's last gently caress-up" counter*

The single digit display is a money-saver like you won't believe.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Still though, things seem like they have been relatively quiet on the Trump front over the last few days. Is he still speaking in public every day and just not saying any new crazy things?

I mean, if he doesn't keep up the crazy, the media will turn to Hillary for basically the first time in the general election.

It's the weekend, and he's giving a speech about B. Hussein Obama's ISIS on Monday. I can't imagine him not walking away from that without a couple of new absurdities.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just follow the reporters embedded with his campaign on twitter. He's still saying crazy stuff every day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SSNeoman posted:

Man you guys remember when Trump was just insulting the Pope?

We've moved on since then huh?

Not to get weird and whatnot, but I was raised Catholic and an ISIS attack on the Vatican would result in the weirdest coalition of angry people ever. Like Philippinos tag teaming with Mexicans tag teaming with Italians tag teaming with Austrians tag teaming with the Swiss tag teaming with a bunch of dudes who signed up for the US Marines. It would get sideways and weird real quick.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The best part about this, is that it's Sunday night and already the entire next week is a lost one for Trump. Especially if Adam Weinstein is correct and the hits keep coming.

E: Yeah, IMO an attack on the Vatican would be tantamount to 9/11 or worse. Huge swathes of South America, Asia, and Africa would be DEEPLY upset. Catholics, whether you believe it or not, are also the largest religious sect in the United States and there would be plenty of non-Catholics ready to kick some rear end if it meant bombing brown people.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It's worth pointing out that Trump hasn't used his social media to talk about anything but himself and the dishonest media the last week or so. Clinton's, on the other hand, has been solid stuff about policy, well-wishes to (and facts about) Olympians, and one Trump dunk after another.

• Locked thread