Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A .500 not being able to- :stare:

Tripwire is aware of what a .500 is, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
The .500 does 150 damage base. It absolutely headshots Gorefasts. Pretty sure it bodyshots them too, once your level is high enough. It does not, however, do the same for Husks and Sirens, and that's a travesty IMO.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

The .500 does 150 damage base. It absolutely headshots Gorefasts. Pretty sure it bodyshots them too, once your level is high enough. It does not, however, do the same for Husks and Sirens, and that's a travesty IMO.

I was just playing my level 5 gunslinger and gorefast was taking 2 shots. I was getting the 1xp bonus for each shot so in sure they were headshots.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A .500 not being able to- :stare:

Tripwire is aware of what a .500 is, right?

Something slightly more energetic than 7.62x51 NATO coming out of a SCAR-H.

SCAR-H is underpowered, pls buff.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Cerepol posted:

I was just playing my level 5 gunslinger and gorefast was taking 2 shots. I was getting the 1xp bonus for each shot so in sure they were headshots.

Really? This should definitely not be the case.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't pistols still suffer from resistance issues?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Don't pistols still suffer from resistance issues?

Yes, but not so much so as to mitigate 100 points of damage.

E: On Gorefasts. Sirens and Husks are still too durable, though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

It could be something absolutely stupid, like the resistances making sure to get the health CLOSE to decap but not AT decap.

That said, .500s should oneshot on Hard at least since it IS a big fuckoff round... Like the Deagles, which are chambered for .50AE due to only holding 7 rounds in a mag. If they were .44, there'd be 8, and you can fit 9 .357 bullets into an average Deagle mag.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I just went and tested the .500, off-perk (to make sure I don't get any damage bonuses). It does, in fact, kill a Gorefast with one headshot.

Also, I just tried out the T2 SWAT for the first time. What the hell was TWI thinking? Worse sights, a smaller mag, and worse select fire options in exchange for... slightly more damage? Uh-huh. Yeah.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Which difficulty did you test on, for posterity.

Also, re: SMG weirdness, it could be in response to how the MP7 was worse than the MP5 back in KF1. I remember a much larger mag for said MP5 (I think I got it to 50 or so per mag :psyduck:), and it being just better simply because it was more controllable than the MP7's literal spray.

Which is dumb because there's a good reason to have T2s better than T1s.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

widespread posted:

Which difficulty did you test on, for posterity.

Also, re: SMG weirdness, it could be in response to how the MP7 was worse than the MP5 back in KF1. I remember a much larger mag for said MP5 (I think I got it to 50 or so per mag :psyduck:), and it being just better simply because it was more controllable than the MP7's literal spray.

Which is dumb because there's a good reason to have T2s better than T1s.

Hard. But unless TWI changed trash scaling and didn't put it in the notes, Gorefast health should be constant from Hard to HOE.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Hard. But unless TWI changed trash scaling and didn't put it in the notes, Gorefast health should be constant from Hard to HOE.

I'll probably check when I get home. Thankfully I can still use That One Map From 4chan's /kfg/ for testing purposes.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

I just went and tested the .500, off-perk (to make sure I don't get any damage bonuses). It does, in fact, kill a Gorefast with one headshot.

Also, I just tried out the T2 SWAT for the first time. What the hell was TWI thinking? Worse sights, a smaller mag, and worse select fire options in exchange for... slightly more damage? Uh-huh. Yeah.

It's funny because the only real difference between those weapons, besides one being considered a PDW, is their rate of fire. I honestly wish that since they try so hard to get weapons "right", they'd actually tier them by loving caliber and model the damage those calibers can do.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Okay, so. Did a round on Normal (not even level 5 so why bother doing Hard just yet) and... yeah, MP5. Go home, you're drunk MP5. Get a RDS and a single shot mode and then we'll talk but god drat.

Also they should consider boosting the mag bonus per level. 1% doesn't feel right for a class seemingly focused on magdumping.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Maybe the server I was on then. It was an expanded 12 slot server but there were only 5 people on

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cerepol posted:

Maybe the server I was on then. It was an expanded 12 slot server but there were only 5 people on

:negative: this is the kinda thing you should check first

on the other hand, consider how believable it was that TWI would make the 500s not one-hit gorefasts. sigh...

oh, SWAT:
mp7: good
mp5: why does this exist?
p90: good tier-3
Vector: v. good tier-4

I want to note: unlike most classes where the tier-3 is pointless and you should just save up for the tier 4, SWAT has a good reason to take both. I appreciate that immensely. (this is unsubtle code for "don't gently caress it up.")

bullet resistance as a passive seems ... kind of pointless. I'd like to see something else. One idea is armor hardening, where you gradually take less armor damage from a given attack. MP5 could stand to be changed but I'm not sure how. It's not better than the MP7 at spraying (and definitely not better than the P90) but it's not good enough in any dimension. Make it a little more stable to give SWAT a little bit better reach out and touch someone capability? gently caress if I know.

widespread: like most everything in this game, the 1% bonus comes into its own at level 10-15...80 round P90s and like 50 round Vectors let you magdump for a looooooong time. I don't know how big mags will be at 25, but it's significant even before then. Take the tac reload perk and you'll be out of ammo before you know it!

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 15, 2016

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

bullet resistance as a passive seems ... kind of pointless. I'd like to see something else.

It's not great, except that at least at level 25 it maxes out to 100% bullet resistance, so SWATs can ignore the guns of whichever boss showed up and keep magdumping into their face. It's at least better than Gunslinger getting 1% bullet resistance per level (I think I'd rather see that swapped out for something useful).

The MP5 really should have been, like, a UMP or something. Significantly slower ROF but higher damage per shot. The MP5 really has no purpose whatsoever other than to trick you and waste your money.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ClonedPickle posted:

It's not great, except that at least at level 25 it maxes out to 100% bullet resistance, so SWATs can ignore the guns of whichever boss showed up and keep magdumping into their face. It's at least better than Gunslinger getting 1% bullet resistance per level (I think I'd rather see that swapped out for something useful).

The MP5 really should have been, like, a UMP or something. Significantly slower ROF but higher damage per shot. The MP5 really has no purpose whatsoever other than to trick you and waste your money.

Oh, I wasn't paying attention to percentage buff. Both Hans and Patriarch's guns are pretty mean but not their only attack, so maybe it's better than I thought. I still think it's weird a class passive is solely for boss enemies.

also I agree about the MP5. I think they could redo the MP5 to effectively fill the role of your proposed UMP, which would at least be quick to do compared to modeling a new thing. Reduce auto ROF, raise damage and stability, especially in burst - it should be rock solid steady there. I'm also not sure why they specifically modeled the MP5 dripping in rails and then didn't put an optic or a laser or anything on it :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 15, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Either the MP7 or the MP5 need to go. There should deffo be a UMP but imo it would be another T4 option, given its caliber. I would have just made the T1 a Uzi or Skorpion, personally.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the mp7 is good though, so, no?

I think you gotta give up on the caliber thing because that type of grognardy detail level is what got us into this stupid loving mess of resistances and overly complicated damage systems, and Tripwire is grognardy enough as it is. it's a videogame where you shoot thoroughly fictional zombies in the face, I'd really prefer it to stay at that level. Balance and fun comes before worrying about why my 9mm SMG is more powerful than a 9mm carbine than a 9mm pistol.

like, I get it - I will always bitch about the stupidity that is low-AOE demo weapons, but that's because they're explosive AOE weapons with one shot at a time, a long reload and limited ammo. They'd better loving be AOE; but that's in terms of gameplay and class balance - I'm not asking them to specifically model the flight characteristics of a PG-7VL warhead.

but if you must, give the MP5 a stick mag, pretend it's an MP5/10, rework stats accordingly

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 15, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

I think you gotta give up on the caliber thing

No. :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

just imagine you were a TWI game developer trying to make this game something the playerbase wants to play. Should they ask "does this make a positive improvement to player experience" or should they ask "does this fit Skoll's almost certainly biased view of firearm caliber effectiveness abstracted into a hitpoint system?"

sorry man, maybe you can write a mutator for it someday for Skoll's Ultra Realistic Killing Floor 2, where you finish a level and then automatically get booted into Viscera Cleanup Detail to clean up the map before you can play it again.

...which would be kinda cool, so let me know when you make that

e: and to be blunt, it's clear that in the past TWI designers have answered the question the way you would - resists, anyone? - and they got justifiably loving ruined for it, so this is something they struggle with too. Let's not make their problems worse, yeah?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Neither of what we want is going to happen, so I will continue to desire my grognardy bullshit, you will continue to want a game that isnt made by TWI.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Skoll posted:

Neither of what we want is going to happen, so I will continue to desire my grognardy bullshit, you will continue to want a game that isnt made by TWI.

...accurate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skoll posted:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Psion posted:

widespread: like most everything in this game, the 1% bonus comes into its own at level 10-15...80 round P90s and like 50 round Vectors let you magdump for a looooooong time. I don't know how big mags will be at 25, but it's significant even before then. Take the tac reload perk and you'll be out of ammo before you know it!

Napkin math says a 50-round P90 gets AT MOST 12-13 more bullets at Level 25. Or I'm missing some obvious thing with the 25%. But considering SWAT and Commando are interchangeable, I'd probably be fine with a 2% per level or 3% per level.

Again, I dunno if I got the math right, but 25% of 50 is still 12.5, and I think I just expected a LOT more magdump potential.

Side note: Is the Street Punks collection any good? I got a USB for it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alright, picked this back up after taking a break for a month or so to play other games. Some thoughts:
* Don't know when they made the changes, but I'm loving the alterations they made to gunslinger's skills. It went from a kind of middling class to one of my favorites. Real glad they got rid of that auto-change weapon skill.
* Loving that they added the M16 w/M203 launcher back in from KF1. Finally gives demo something to deal with little trash Zeds.
* Swat seems okay, and I feel like I'd like it a lot more if every single game I joined didn't have 4 people playing as it. Nothing quite like watching half the team start dying every round because surprise surprise SMGs stop being quite as effective as soon as scrakes and fleshpounds start coming into play.
* Did they add in the ability for Zeds to raise their arms up and cover their face to prevent head shots? Don't remember seeing that before but I quite like it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

widespread posted:

Napkin math says a 50-round P90 says

:shrug:

level 15 SWAT, 64-round MP7, 80 round P90. Apparently it's 4% mag size and 1% resist so those got flipped. Here's my hot take: Fix resist and keep them both at 4%. full auto blasting an SMG will ruin you with that many rounds if you get sloppy so it's a self-correcting problem.

No USB is worth opening ever, and I wish I could trade those in for something useful like you can trade in gunskins for higher rarity ones.

e: is there a keyboard shortcut to quick-favorite a weapon in the trader because the current way is pretty awkward. Highlight it, move your mouse in an reverse-L shape left and down (to not accidentally highlight a different gun) and push favorite at bottom center

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 15, 2016

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

turnways posted:

And thanks guys, glad I can help communicate stuff and get some decent feedback to pass along. What do you think of the new Trader? We swapped sides based on a lot of focus testing that had folks looking on the left for player inventory / right for shop (pretty standard in games) and coupled with the time limit was creating a lot of initial frustration and confusion, and more importantly it reduces mouse movement for common actions by a ton, esp. with the new dedicated Sell/Buy buttons.

Oh hey, weren't you the fellow everyone was screaming at about resistances when I last left?

Anyway, for the new trader I like the idea of moving it to the left side, since that's, y'know, how most of the game's audience reads. I would suggest maybe swapping the positions of the fill ammo and sell weapon buttons. In my play sessions over the last few days there was like a dozen separate occasions where I reached the trader 10-15 seconds before it closed and reflexively ended up selling my weapons when I meant to stock up on ammo because I was so used to ammo being on the right, perspective-wise.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
So, according to the ~all knowing spreadsheet~, all the labels for SWAT's passives are off by one. There apparently is no perk weapon damage bonus, so shift every label up and then it becomes accurate; 5% + 1%/level bullet resistance, 4%/level mag size increase, 1%/level weapon switch speed bonus. So much for complete bullet immunity, but we'll see what Tripwire does since that's pretty obviously broken to some degree.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Oh hey, weren't you the fellow everyone was screaming at about resistances when I last left?

That was Questioner telling us it tested well internally one time too many. "We're not just pushing it out to live!" followed by it getting dumped to live two days later probably didn't help matters.

Turnways has been Civil, so getting Civil back :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 15, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Psion posted:

:shrug:

level 15 SWAT, 64-round MP7, 80 round P90. Apparently it's 4% mag size and 1% resist so those got flipped. Here's my hot take: Fix resist and keep them both at 4%. full auto blasting an SMG will ruin you with that many rounds if you get sloppy so it's a self-correcting problem.

No USB is worth opening ever, and I wish I could trade those in for something useful like you can trade in gunskins for higher rarity ones.

e: is there a keyboard shortcut to quick-favorite a weapon in the trader because the current way is pretty awkward. Highlight it, move your mouse in an reverse-L shape left and down (to not accidentally highlight a different gun) and push favorite at bottom center

Oh. Huh. Lemme check since I remember dinging and only having 1 extra bullet in the Vector and 2 extra bullets in the P90.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

widespread posted:

Oh. Huh. Lemme check since I remember dinging and only having 1 extra bullet in the Vector and 2 extra bullets in the P90.

That's 4%. P90 has a base 50 round magazine, so +2 bullets = 4%. Pickle posted the reason - apparently all the SWAT values got shifted one index, so you get 4% bullets per level even though it says you should only get 1%.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Psion posted:

That's 4%. P90 has a base 50 round magazine, so +2 bullets = 4%. Pickle posted the reason - apparently all the SWAT values got shifted one index, so you get 4% bullets per level even though it says you should only get 1%.

Yep, makes more sense now. Though I have to wonder what the extra damage per level is now.

Unrelated, but can any perk now increase Zed Time? Or is that a solo-only thing? I'm feeling a little increase every time I get a Zed headshot.

widespread fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 15, 2016

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

widespread posted:

Yep, makes more sense now. Though I have to wonder what the extra damage per level is now.

Unrelated, but can any perk now increase Zed Time? Or is that a solo-only thing? I'm feeling a little increase every time I get a Zed headshot.

Commando still can? Unless you mean boosting the actual amount of time spent in zed-time, rather than extending it with kills?

Edit: As for swat, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with it if they changed/added in some weapon with a lower rate of fire and higher damage. I'm just not the sort of guy who spews lead everywhere, even as commando I pick and choose my shots carefully, so all the SMGs feel really dinky. Maybe it's just because I'm only like lvl 5.
Maybe they could add in something like the Magpul PDW as a weapon. Firing 5.56 could give it a bit more damage. Sure it's technically closer to a compact assault rifle than an smg, but the MP7 is already in there as a PDW.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 15, 2016

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

widespread posted:

Side note: Is the Street Punks collection any good? I got a USB for it.

I've got a bunch of Street Punks stuff and it's honestly my least favorite stuff I have. I've been considering selling it all off. Check the Steam Market if you want to see what's in the collection.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Luchadork posted:

I've got a bunch of Street Punks stuff and it's honestly my least favorite stuff I have. I've been considering selling it all off. Check the Steam Market if you want to see what's in the collection.

I did and holy loving poo poo this looks like it was pulled off a Suicide Squad poster. Gotta sell it.

But there any good collections? Like... NOT terrible poo poo?

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Commando still can? Unless you mean boosting the actual amount of time spent in zed-time, rather than extending it with kills?

Edit: As for swat, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with it if they changed/added in some weapon with a lower rate of fire and higher damage. I'm just not the sort of guy who spews lead everywhere, even as commando I pick and choose my shots carefully, so all the SMGs feel really dinky. Maybe it's just because I'm only like lvl 5.
Maybe they could add in something like the Magpul PDW as a weapon. Firing 5.56 could give it a bit more damage. Sure it's technically closer to a compact assault rifle than an smg, but the MP7 is already in there as a PDW.

Might just be boosting, I dunno. Also I feel the MP5 was SUPPOSED to be the power weapon but... yeesh. It just needs Single Fire select, an RDS, and maybe more power than the Vector.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, I am officially really digging this patch.

Though I'd note that even though the M16/M203 is really handy, with the amount of SWATs wiping trash and the number of zeds coming around on Suicidal, I am really prefering the RPG+GL combo, with liberal use throughout the whole match. Demo feels really great in the current patch.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

widespread posted:

I did and holy loving poo poo this looks like it was pulled off a Suicide Squad poster. Gotta sell it.

But there any good collections? Like... NOT terrible poo poo?

Depends on your tastes, obviously. I'm a fan of the Dragonsfire skin set, and then there's the NES Zapper looking orange/white skin I posted earlier that I love. Street Punks is, IMO, the bottom of the barrel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only cosmetic I have truly enjoyed so far has been the Horzine suit, because it just looks loving awesome.