Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

Trying to figure out what to do about a roaming data plan between now and Tuesday... Can you get by in China with ExpressVPN and Google Voice for texting and calling via WiFi? I assume public WiFi is pretty common in Shanghai and Chengdu?

Public wifi is kind of common but they often require you to verify with a code they text to your phone, which means if you don't have a (Chinese) cell number you can't really use a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Ahhhh OK good to know, thanks. We switched to AT&T recently (a mistake) so we don't have unlocked phones at the moment :(

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

Ahhhh OK good to know, thanks. We switched to AT&T recently (a mistake) so we don't have unlocked phones at the moment :(

It isn't everywhere, to be clear. A lot of smaller places and big malls will have just normal (if slow and unreliable) public wifi. Places like Starbucks usually do the SMS a code thing, and some malls and public places do require this as well.

That's for Chengdu anyway, no idea what the situation is in Shanghai.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Most places in Shanghai required an SMS code.

Maybe you can pick up a cheap GSM phone for less than $50 and stick a Unicom sim in there to receive calls.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Mons Hubris posted:

Hey, att has an international "passport" plan that was kinda tempting.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

Considering that we spent so much time trying to figure out the new non-prepaid china plans, (and probably wouldnt have had to sort out a vpn for the att roaming plans?), it was probably worth the $40 or $60 to just stick with the existing att phones we have for our month trip.

I hate having to try to watch the data to be sure I don't go over and get raped, but apparently gotta do that on the china mobile plan we got anyways.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 15, 2016

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Baddog posted:

Hey, att has an international "passport" plan that was kinda tempting.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

Considering that we spent so much time trying to figure out the new non-prepaid china plans, (and probably wouldnt have had to sort out a vpn for the att roaming plans?), it was probably worth the $40 or $60 to just stick with the existing att phones we have for our month trip.

I hate having to try to watch the data to be sure I don't go over and get raped, but apparently gotta do that on the china mobile plan we got anyways.

That's where you messed up. Unicom is way, way better for this kind of stuff unless you're going to the boonies where Unicom has bad service (every city will have fine coverage). Not to mention phone compatibility with Mobile can be sketchy since they use weird 4G bands not all international phones support.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

That's where you messed up. Unicom is way, way better for this kind of stuff unless you're going to the boonies where Unicom has bad service (every city will have fine coverage). Not to mention phone compatibility with Mobile can be sketchy since they use weird 4G bands not all international phones support.

I've been avoiding unicom because I figured Changsha was "boonies" (comparatively) - but you're right, I don't think it is anymore!

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Another excuse to post a link to How the Chinese screwed up their 3G mobile phone networks which is from 2012, but goes through the whole backstory as to why China Unicom is the preferable carrier for dirty laowai (and everybody else).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Baddog posted:

I've been avoiding unicom because I figured Changsha was "boonies" (comparatively) - but you're right, I don't think it is anymore!

They have direct flights from the US now so I think they arrived

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

They have direct flights from the US now so I think they arrived

They even have their own weird Dutchmen sleeping there, last I heard.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

They even have their own weird Dutchmen sleeping there, last I heard.

Right. You heard.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
"why isn't laomei eating?? is he sick??"

Well besides the old man slurping and chomping and grunting and spitting and clacking his false teeth in my ear literally louder than the operation of most power tools? He's deep dicking every drat bowl on the table with his chopsticks. I mean, the dude is literally going up to the knuckles with the sticks he just had deep in his mouth, loudly sucking every last drop of juice from. And then half the bowls have been sitting out all day in this sweltering heat, with whatever bacteria he's been fermenting in his rotten tooth-pits for the last decade just blooming like crazy in there. I gotta jump to eat the "fresh" poo poo before he gets all up in it. "Fresh" in quotes because its been cooked in whatever the gently caress that is coming out of the tap.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baddog posted:

"why isn't laomei eating?? is he sick??"

Well besides the old man slurping and chomping and grunting and spitting and clacking his false teeth in my ear literally louder than the operation of most power tools? He's deep dicking every drat bowl on the table with his chopsticks. I mean, the dude is literally going up to the knuckles with the sticks he just had deep in his mouth, loudly sucking every last drop of juice from. And then half the bowls have been sitting out all day in this sweltering heat, with whatever bacteria he's been fermenting in his rotten tooth-pits for the last decade just blooming like crazy in there. I gotta jump to eat the "fresh" poo poo before he gets all up in it. "Fresh" in quotes because its been cooked in whatever the gently caress that is coming out of the tap.

so how's it going

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Where's our kid? Oh grandma and grandpa are watching him.

Oh look, he's literally playing in the huge trash pile behind the building. And it looks like this is where the neighbors have been lighting off fireworks right in the middle of all this busted up wood and paper and clothes. Oh well, at least its been raining and its all wet, carry the gently caress on everyone.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Baddog posted:

Oh look, he's literally playing in the huge trash pile behind the building. And it looks like this is where the neighbors have been lighting off fireworks right in the middle of all this busted up wood and paper and clothes. Oh well, at least its been raining and its all wet, carry the gently caress on everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8JDNE-N388

:china:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
for true Chinese style please ask them "how about your weekend?"

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Baddog posted:

keep going man, put more fuel on that fire and keep. loving. posting. this. good. poo poo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How long is your trip?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baddog posted:

I told my wife that next time she wants to bring our baby to changsha for a month, we should just save some money and roll him around in cigarette butts, shards of glass, raw sewage and toxic waste. And then I could at least take him immediately to a doctor who wont just give him an IV, rub some herbs on him, and call it a day.

So she takes exception to this, and is marching huffily down the sidewalk. And strolls right through a big pile of poo poo in her sandals.

i'll be honest i didn't know if i had ever seen a baddog post before i saw those last two, so i went looking through the thread and found this and lol

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
let's call a kingsmoot and elect baddog king of this thread

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
As someone who's had a couple days recently in the valley of "Man, to hell with this place," I deeply appreciate these posts.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

The Great Autismo! posted:

i'll be honest i didn't know if i had ever seen a baddog post before i saw those last two, so i went looking through the thread and found this and lol

Haha wow yah. I forget how bad things are, and then I get sucked into another trip. I swore after that last one that was it, but here we are again.

Everyone has been fighting, cooped up in this tiny apartment, can't get more than 10 feet away from an open shithole (ok after I bitched they did put a new flap on the squat, its only a semi-open shithole now). So we decide to go out to the "botanical gardens" today, even though its loving 100 degrees out. Suffer through the whole trip, the logistics are always so hard because everyone is so cheap (grandparents gotta take the bus because they ride free). I swear when we can go somewhere on our own its usually fine, but a group trip is a tire fire every time. Everyone sweating and cranky. Finally get settled into a shady spot by the lake, its kinda nice, take a breath. Whew. OK.

BAM, my kid somehow gets ahold of what we think must have been one of those spiny caterpillars (couldn't find it). He's got 3 pretty good patches of black spines in his hand and forearm and crying like crazy. At least he didn't have an allergic reaction and it doesn't seem (very) poisonous. But my wife spent the rest of the day so far picking dozens of tiny spines out of his arm while I try to distract him, and searching around for baking soda (finally found it in the pharmacy).

Just a few more days here, maybe we can make it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Baddog posted:

my kid somehow gets ahold of what we think must have been one of those spiny caterpillars

leave the woman leave the child save yourself you must go now

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baddog posted:

Haha wow yah. I forget how bad things are, and then I get sucked into another trip. I swore after that last one that was it, but here we are again.

Everyone has been fighting, cooped up in this tiny apartment, can't get more than 10 feet away from an open shithole (ok after I bitched they did put a new flap on the squat, its only a semi-open shithole now). So we decide to go out to the "botanical gardens" today, even though its loving 100 degrees out. Suffer through the whole trip, the logistics are always so hard because everyone is so cheap (grandparents gotta take the bus because they ride free). I swear when we can go somewhere on our own its usually fine, but a group trip is a tire fire every time. Everyone sweating and cranky. Finally get settled into a shady spot by the lake, its kinda nice, take a breath. Whew. OK.

BAM, my kid somehow gets ahold of what we think must have been one of those spiny caterpillars (couldn't find it). He's got 3 pretty good patches of black spines in his hand and forearm and crying like crazy. At least he didn't have an allergic reaction and it doesn't seem (very) poisonous. But my wife spent the rest of the day so far picking dozens of tiny spines out of his arm while I try to distract him, and searching around for baking soda (finally found it in the pharmacy).

Just a few more days here, maybe we can make it.

my advice is to stay strong and keep posting

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Suffer through the whole trip, the logistics

Hey sign up for this

http://zhuanche.zuche.com/

It's hassle free transportation. You can rent a car and driver for like 600 RMB 8 hours or some stupid price. They also do airport pickups and dropoff. Best part about pickup is that they track your flight number and wait for you. Billing won't start until after 3hours delayed

I'm glad my girlfriend's parents know how to use the internet and her dad knows how to use the internet to book everything and order everything.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

It's hassle free transportation. You can rent a car and driver for like 600 RMB 8 hours or some stupid price. They also do airport pickups and dropoff. Best part about pickup is that they track your flight number and wait for you. Billing won't start until after 3hours delayed

if they go so far out of the way to take the bus because it is free i'm not sure how the family is going to feel about dropping 600 RMB on a private car, lol

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the best solution is to kill your entire family-in-law except for your wife cause i guess you like her

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You could also kill yourself.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What I don't understand about stories like this, is that baddog obviously comes from a first world country. I understand that is an assumption, but I think it's a pretty safe one. I'm also going to guess that he and his wife and their child all live in that first world country. I guess my question is, why does the wife want to go back to visit her family when the environment is like this? No matter how much I may love part of my family, I would never want to actually expose any of them to an environment like this.

My grandparents lived in South Carolina, a very very very racist part of South Carolina, super deep South. My grandparents were good people, but I'm not sure I would ever want to take my wife or child there now. The point is moot, because they both passed away, but I just don't think I would ever want to take them there. And this is in the First world, not the Third world.

Like if I had family in east Phoenix and they were like "come visit" I'd probably be like "eh we are a bit busy, sorry" and then hope they would visit us, assuming they weren't methheads. If they were methheads I would just cut all losses and never talk to them again.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

You could also kill yourself.

the final solution

Like if I had family in east Phoenix and they were like "come visit" I'd probably be like "eh we are a bit busy, sorry" and then hope they would visit us, assuming they weren't methheads. If they were methheads I would just cut all losses and never talk to them again.

you are not chinese, you cannot understand

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

thankfully

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

if they go so far out of the way to take the bus because it is free i'm not sure how the family is going to feel about dropping 600 RMB on a private car, lol

It's not grandpa grandma arranging transportation but him and his wife doing it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

What I don't understand about stories like this, is that baddog obviously comes from a first world country. I understand that is an assumption, but I think it's a pretty safe one. I'm also going to guess that he and his wife and their child all live in that first world country. I guess my question is, why does the wife want to go back to visit her family when the environment is like this? No matter how much I may love part of my family, I would never want to actually expose any of them to an environment like this.

My grandparents lived in South Carolina, a very very very racist part of South Carolina, super deep South. My grandparents were good people, but I'm not sure I would ever want to take my wife or child there now. The point is moot, because they both passed away, but I just don't think I would ever want to take them there. And this is in the First world, not the Third world.

You are a bad grand child.

I hope your grand parents didn't know that you were too good to visit them before they died

caberham fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 18, 2016

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Yah this would be awesome and a good way to run around the city one day and see everything, but they are like "40 for a taxi, what the gently caress are you all doing the bus is so cheap?" So half the time we all take the bus and half the time I'm like gently caress this its like the loving surface of the sun out here we're taking a taxi, y'all grab the next one or ride the bus if you want (and they ride the bus). We got an suv from didi chuxing one time and apparently that was realllly pushing it.

quote:

Its not just filial piety or whatever, there are some other factors. Semi-understandable even for a WASP like me who can't deal with his own family for more than 3-4 days at christmas. She does go years without seeing her parents. But yah, we gotta get a hotel next time, and I'd rather not do weeks here anymore. The direct flight from LA makes it more reasonable to do a week and be out.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

I hope your grand parents didn't know that you were too good to visit them before they died

i'm actually not a grandchild anymore, sadly, and i must say i was a very good one when i was one. i visited them all the time, i made specific trips to visit them driving like 10 hour days sometimes.

it's not about visiting them, it's...nevermind, if you can't read what i originally wrote i doubt you can read what i am going to write next, lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Yah this would be awesome and a good way to run around the city one day and see everything, but they are like "40 for a taxi, what the gently caress are you all doing the bus is so cheap?" So half the time we all take the bus and half the time I'm like gently caress this its like the loving surface of the sun out here we're taking a taxi, y'all grab the next one or ride the bus if you want (and they ride the bus). We got an suv from didi chuxing one time and apparently that was realllly pushing it.

Why is your wife and your inlaws a bunch of push overs? I'm glad the grand parents can walk all day but once you ordered a car for the whole day they can't get a refund. Just arrange everything and take charge.

Sorry to hear about your horrible trip though :( I do understand how irritating things can get with the family when you spend a long time with them

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

i'm actually not a grandchild anymore, sadly, and i must say i was a very good one when i was one. i visited them all the time, i made specific trips to visit them driving like 10 hour days sometimes.

it's not about visiting them, it's...nevermind, if you can't read what i originally wrote i doubt you can read what i am going to write next, lol

Traveling with kids/infants is a major logistical hassle. But for me, I feel that traveling when you are older is even harder. You are a lot less mobile once you hit 70, especially when you haven't traveled much in your life. If grandma and grandpa have trouble visiting you then you should go visit them. There's a small window of opportunity but at least let them meet the grand kids once in their lives. Even if that means going to hell-hole wherever

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
600 RMB is pretty high for a car for the day when you can rent a 面包车 and driver for probably half that (granted that car is likely much better).

Baddog, you totally have to go back and visit the family but I get that a few weeks is too much. Maybe next time drop in for a week, then on to HK or Thailand for another week before home. Or *shudder* get them to come visit you in freedom land.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

lol what the gently caress dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm really glad the inlaws are doing well for themselves and have a nice condo by the beach in Qingdao. Lomaw makes some mean food that's healthy too. I ate all the time there and lost upwards of 10 pounds in 2 weeks.