Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

CelestialScribe posted:

That's not what I meant. I meant "anything else" regarding a 50-state strategy.

maybe you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about and should stop pretending to be an expert on elections in a country you don't live in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Goldar is the Paul Manafort to Rita Repulsa's Trump. Trying desperately to get her to behave with some degree of competence. He's just a puppet for Lord Zedd(Putin). Of course Rita and Zedd end up married, just like Trump and Putin.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Rita would be the first Jewish president.

(I assume she converted when she married Zedd?)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Can someone give me a list of all the stories buzzfeed has broken just this year?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Whoops

http://gawker.com/ivanka-trump-hanging-out-in-croatia-with-vladimir-putin-1785290129

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

citybeatnik posted:

The Vatican also came up with a theological argument for why assassinating Hitler would be less sinful than the murder itself, and was taking steps to carry it out before it all went tits-up when WW2 started. Don't gently caress with Jesuits.

Do you have a link or search term I can use to look at this? I've never heard of it before.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha, if you wrote this stuff in a TV series it would be considered unrealistic and tacky.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm surprised that Murdoch's ex-wife is apparently dating Putin. How deep does this go? :tinfoil:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Solkanar512 posted:

Do you have a link or search term I can use to look at this? I've never heard of it before.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/70776/when-pope-ordered-death-adolf-hitler I think this may cover it pretty well. it also references a more in-depth book at the beginning tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm surprised that Murdoch's ex-wife is apparently dating Putin. How deep does this go? :tinfoil:

Is she the one that had an affair with Tony Blair or am I mixing up wives?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Does anyone remember an article from the last 1-3 years about uninsured people in Kansas who were slowly dying from illnesses that could be easily treated who were angry that they couldn't get benefits from the system that they were sure gave assistance to other people?

This?

quote:

Throughout this ordeal, Charmaine has continued working. In the 29 states (plus Washington, DC) that have expanded Medicaid, her income would likely put her in a gray zone; depending on how many hours she puts in each month, she could fall just over or under the 138-percent-of-poverty cutoff to qualify. But in Kansas, she’s completely out of luck. She qualifies for tax credits to buy insurance, but she’s struggled to find a plan in which she can afford both the premium and the cost sharing on all of her meds. She could apply for disability, but she can’t imagine living on the small income that would provide, even if it did bring health insurance.

“I’m not ready to give up. I’m a hard worker,” she says, before breaking down in tears. She’s been taking anti-depressants for the first time in her life. “I’ve worked 30-some years and paid my dues, and here I can’t get any help? And all these years that people get food stamps and medical cards for their children, I helped pay for that. So what about me? What did all my hard work get me?”

It’s a sentiment I heard often, talking with southeast Kansas’ sick and poor. Everyone is convinced that someone else is getting a better deal, that somewhere a horde of Kansans are gaming the system and preventing the truly needy from getting help. It’s a sentiment that Brownback eagerly exploits when attacking Medicaid expansion and other forms of public assistance. In his January State of the State address, he pointed to a black single mom in the audience, saying she had been on welfare and was now in a full-time job. He asked her to stand with her teenage son, then lauded the “courage and perseverance” of her redemptive journey. “We will continue to move forward,” he vowed, “helping people move from dependence on the government to independence.”

quote:

Each month, the couple now pay $50 to the hospital and $10 each to the cardiologist and labs, while they beg the hospital to write off their debt. Mike has found a new job, and they’re feeling optimistic again. But Martha’s no longer sure what to think about the safety-net programs she’d assumed were available. “We’ve always taken care of ourselves, and the one time we needed them, we weren’t able to use them.” She still agrees with Brownback that jobs are the best route to insurance, but Medicaid expansion is now an open question. “Sometimes the income isn’t enough to support their family and pay for insurance. So I think Kansas could let a few more people come in.”

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 15, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Riosan posted:

Not sure about pets at Arlington, but I know specifically that Socks the Cat was cremated and his ashes are kept at the Clinton Presidential Museum.

Looking through that page on Socks and

quote:

Republican Representative Dan Burton once publicly questioned the use of White House staff, postage, and stationery to answer mail addressed to the cat.

There actually is no bottom to the pit of spite that Republicans live in, is there?

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
If Trump wins, Ikea should start selling flat-pack guillotine kits.
Comes in tasteful oak or blond real wood veneer finishes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

She also dated Tony Blair. Why do lovely people love this woman so much and how do she get access to them?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I would totally vote for a Rita Repulsa ticket.

Unfortunately, she was a resident of the Moon in 1776, and thus not Constitutionally eligible.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

theflyingorc posted:

What the hell do you think these verses say

Like, they all three have nothing to do with the topic you were discussing

I was tossing out random verses.

Solkanar512 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Church-Spies-Pope%C2%92s-Secret-Against/dp/0465022294

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Technogeek posted:

Unfortunately, she was a resident of the Moon in 1776, and thus not Constitutionally eligible.

Sure, but she was also prevented from emigrating. I assume she could qualify under the US policy of moon foot earth foot immigration.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ProfessorCirno posted:

There actually is no bottom to the pit of spite that Republicans live in, is there?

That dude obviously doesn't have children.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Radish posted:

She also dated Tony Blair. Why do lovely people love this woman so much and how do she get access to them?

"When Deng was living with Jake and Joyce Cherry during Deng's studies in the United States, Joyce Cherry discovered her husband, Jake, was having an affair with Deng, who was 30 years his junior, and demanded Deng leave the house. Jake Cherry soon followed and moved in with Deng, and the two married in 1990. Their marriage lasted 2 years 7 months before they were legally divorced,but Jake would later explain they stayed together for only four or five months, when he learned that Deng was spending time with David Wolf, a man closer to her age. Nonetheless, she had been able to secure a green card through her marriage to Cherry."

I sense a pattern here...

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Sure, but she was also prevented from emigrating. I assume she could qualify under the US policy of moon foot earth foot immigration.

The problem is that after the astronauts let her out, she chose to build a lunar palace as a new domicile. If she had moved to Angel Grove right away, I could see the argument carrying some weight, but as it is I doubt it'd hold up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Groper posted:

"When Deng was living with Jake and Joyce Cherry during Deng's studies in the United States, Joyce Cherry discovered her husband, Jake, was having an affair with Deng, who was 30 years his junior, and demanded Deng leave the house. Jake Cherry soon followed and moved in with Deng, and the two married in 1990. Their marriage lasted 2 years 7 months before they were legally divorced,but Jake would later explain they stayed together for only four or five months, when he learned that Deng was spending time with David Wolf, a man closer to her age. Nonetheless, she had been able to secure a green card through her marriage to Cherry."

I sense a pattern here...

Seriously. What about her is so amazing??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is Trump's foreign policy speech today?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

ImpAtom posted:

yes, at 2pm i believe

e: Sorry, should have added timezone: I think it's at 2pm Eastern. Then he's speaking in Wisconsin (Clinton +15 :downs:)

emdash fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 15, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

emdash posted:

yes, at 2pm i believe

e: Sorry, should have added timezone: I think it's at 2pm Eastern. Then he's speaking in Wisconsin (Clinton +15 :downs:)

This is his second stop here. He was in Green Bay I think last week? It seems so long ago. Odds are he's going to bring up the unrest here in Milwaukee, while sitting in West Bend surrounded by hicks and rich fucks, every single one white.

This loving election.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Listen, I never worked for the Ukrainian government, despite working on politics in Ukraine. (I worked for Russian oligarchs supporting the government.) I never accepted cash payments, either! (They always paid by cheque.) These accusations are categorically false! (Technically.)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Barudak posted:

Is she the one that had an affair with Tony Blair or am I mixing up wives?

Yes.

quote:

Reminder that we live in a universe where

-- A US presidential candidate hired a campaign manager, pro-bono, with a checkered past and possible ties to Russian oligarchs
-- Shortly after this individual joined the campaign, the candidate made a series of bizarre policy statements that break from his party's tradition but would benefit Russian interests if implemented
-- Months later, news breaks that said campaign manager still maintains an office in former Soviet bloc country, where he recently helped to install pro-Putin leadership
-- Also, secret ledgers reveal that the pro-Putin Ukrainian government paid said manager almost $13 million, of which just $63,000 was reported as income to the IRS

And WHILE all this is breaking, actually simultaneously,

-- the daughter of said presidential hopeful is on a vacation with the (unconfirmed, but widely believed) girlfriend of Vladimir Putin
-- (said girlfriend is also the ex-wife of Fox News owner Rupert Murdoch, who initiated divorce proceedings because he believed she might be having an affair with Tony Blair)

------------------
All of these things are true.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The past five or so years have been rough. I've gotten farther with my Russian than any other language, know and love many people living in Russia, and adore Russian art and history. But holy poo poo gently caress their government.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Yep, and he has a bold new idea to make sure the right kind of immigrants are coming in. (there's something in there too that is laying seeds for more Russian alliance, try to find it!)

quote:

Donald Trump will declare an end to nation building if elected president, replacing it with what aides described as "foreign policy realism" focused on destroying the Islamic State group and other extremist organizations.

In a speech the Republican presidential nominee will deliver on Monday in Ohio, Trump will argue that the country needs to work with anyone that shares that mission, regardless of other ideological and strategic disagreements. Any country that wants to work with the U.S. to defeat "radical Islamic terrorism" will be a U.S. ally, he is expected to say.

"Mr. Trump's speech will explain that while we can't choose our friends, we must always recognize our enemies," Trump senior policy adviser Stephen Miller said Sunday.

On the eve of the speech, the Clinton campaign slammed Trump's campaign manager for ties to Russia and pro-Kremlin interests, an apparent reference to a New York Times story published Sunday night. The story alleges Paul Manafort received $12.7 million from Ukraine's former pro-Russia president and his political party for consultant work over a five-year period. The newspaper says Manafort's lawyer denied his client received any such payments.

Trump on Monday is also expected to outline a new immigration policy proposal under which the U.S. would stop issuing visas in any case where it cannot perform adequate screenings.

It will be the latest version of a policy that began with Trump's unprecedented call to temporarily bar foreign Muslims from entering the country — a religious test that was criticized across party lines as un-American. Following a massacre at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, in June, Trump introduced a new standard.

"As he laid out in his Orlando remarks, Mr. Trump will describe the need to temporarily suspend visa issuances to geographic regions with a history of exporting terrorism and where adequate checks and background vetting cannot occur," Miller said.

Trump is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the country that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. Through questionnaires, searching social media, interviewing friends and family or other means, applicants would be vetted to see whether they support American values like tolerance and pluralism.

The candidate is also expected to call in the speech for declaring in explicit terms that, like during the Cold War, the nation is in an ideological conflict with radical Islam.

Trump's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton and top U.S. government officials have warned of the dangers of using that kind of language to describe the conflict, arguing that it plays into militants' hands.

While Trump has been criticized in the past for failing to lay out specific policy solutions, aides say that Monday's speech will again focus on his broader vision. Additional speeches with more details are expected in the weeks ahead, they said.

Trump is also expected to spend significant time going after President Barack Obama and Clinton, the former secretary of state, blaming them for enacting policies he argues allowed the Islamic State group to spread. Obama has made ending nation building a central part of his foreign policy argument for years.

"Mr. Trump will outline his vision for defeating radical Islamic terrorism, and explain how the policies of Obama-Clinton are responsible for the rise of ISIS and the spread of barbarism that has taken the lives of so many," Miller said Sunday in an email, using an alternative acronym for the Islamic State group.

The speech comes as Trump has struggled to stay on message. Last week, an economic policy speech he delivered calling for lower corporate taxes and rolling back federal regulations was overshadowed by a series of provocative statements, including falsely declaring that Obama was the "founder" of the Islamic State group.

Trump's allies said Sunday they're confident that this time, the billionaire developer will stay on track.

"Stay tuned, it's very early in this campaign. This coming Monday, you're going to see a vision for confronting radical Islamic terrorism," his vice presidential running mate, Mike Pence, said on Fox News Sunday.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/765189229152464897

"Every poll has a sampling bias EXCEPT MINE, NO SAMPLING BIAS HERE."

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Siena poll of New York:

2-way: Clinton +30
4-way: Clinton +25

Reminder that Trump said he was going to put New York in play :laugh:

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Knight of Arboria posted:

D +10 actually seems kind of low.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Wall Street Journal Editorial Board just put out the most Wall Street Journal Editorial Board editorial ever.

They are opening calling for Trump to shake up his campaign by Labor day or cede the nomination to Mike Pence.

What finally caused Trump to cross the line for the WSJ? If he loses the election and hurts down ticket races enough to lose Republicans the Senate, then they will blow their once in a lifetime chance to repeal the Estate Tax!

#Priorities

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Wall Street Journal Editorial Board just put out the most Wall Street Journal Editorial Board editorial ever.

They are opening calling for Trump to shake up his campaign by Labor day or cede the nomination to Mike Pence.

What finally caused Trump to cross the line for the WSJ? If he loses the election and hurts down ticket races enough to lose Republicans the Senate, then they will blow their once in a lifetime chance to repeal the Estate Tax!

#Priorities

Cede it to Mike Pence? The one possible replacement option on the table that noone voted for at all? Yeah that won't upset anyone.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

#Priorities

Hurry up, our dads could die any day now

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

emdash posted:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/765156672310566912

manafort's response to the Ukraine money thing. it's what you'd expect

I never worked for them! And the payments were never in cash!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NYT is definitely trying to get Trump to yank their creds.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I never worked for them! And the payments were never in cash!

Maybe it's rather "It's not off the books! It's in the secret second ledger".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Knight of Arboria posted:

Mm, I love the smell of desperation in the morning.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whats funny is Bill Mitchell did this same poo poo about the polls being skewed last time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yep, and he has a bold new idea to make sure the right kind of immigrants are coming in. (there's something in there too that is laying seeds for more Russian alliance, try to find it!)

This sounds great. There are over 45 million admissions to the US annually (excluding Canadians and Mexicans with entry cards), so it should be a pretty simple task for us to examine the facebook posts and interview the families of all those people. I really want to know how this is would be implemented; does it mean that when a plane full of Belgian tourists lands in Orlando, we're going to have them wait in line at the aiport while CBP calls their family back home and gets a translator to read them flemish facebook posts? Or are we just junking the waiver program and forcing everyone to apply at the consulate for a visa so this can be done thoroughly? I'm sure the 20 million people visiting the US under the waiver program will be happy to add a visa application to their itinerary and this won't affect trade and travel at all.

• Locked thread