Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
its just EQ but with a more annoying aoe and without the aftershock's ridic damage right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

killstealing posted:

its just EQ but with a more annoying aoe and without the aftershock's ridic damage right?

It's just basically a wide cone, yeah. I think 120 degrees? Used to be really fun with a permastun build.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From the brief thing I just read EQ would not make good use of faster atk and mult atk, which is what im running so Id have to get a whole new setup. I can run liw maps with this to build up wealth for a bit though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ButtWolf posted:

From the brief thing I just read EQ would not make good use of faster atk and mult atk, which is what im running so Id have to get a whole new setup. I can run liw maps with this to build up wealth for a bit though.

Swap out multistrike with less duration, and faster attack with rapid decay. There, you can now do EQ without changing your sockets. Go to the vendor and get some level 12 gems, the difference won't kill you.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Swap out multistrike with less duration, and faster attack with rapid decay. There, you can now do EQ without changing your sockets. Go to the vendor and get some level 12 gems, the difference won't kill you.

He might not even have to swap out FA if he's near a breakpoint.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vasudus posted:

Sweet thanks.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I just spent a while trying to find a way to gimmick up a gladiator spellcaster using dual cybil's paws to stack up a bunch of benefits to phys/spell damage from blocking. It can kinda work in the sense that you are very durable, but ultimately chasing dual wield block around the passive tree stretches you too thin to cover both offense and defense.

Poison blade vortex was the closest to success. 16 life per hit on bv is a huge regen boost, but I had to run blasphemy warlord's mark anyway to account for nearly no mana/regen, so it felt like overkill. Damage was lacking, though I felt nearly invincible blocking 50/50 and restoring ~1400ish life per second between leech and on-hit.

edit: I think giving up on cybils and going for a divinarius+shield would work out pretty well though. Easier to grab block for shields and you could get up to shadow more easily for some crit and phys damage.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

YoungSexualNorton posted:

I just spent a while trying to find a way to gimmick up a gladiator spellcaster using dual cybil's paws to stack up a bunch of benefits to phys/spell damage from blocking. It can kinda work in the sense that you are very durable, but ultimately chasing dual wield block around the passive tree stretches you too thin to cover both offense and defense.

Poison blade vortex was the closest to success. 16 life per hit on bv is a huge regen boost, but I had to run blasphemy warlord's mark anyway to account for nearly no mana/regen, so it felt like overkill. Damage was lacking, though I felt nearly invincible blocking 50/50 and restoring ~1400ish life per second between leech and on-hit.

edit: I think giving up on cybils and going for a divinarius+shield would work out pretty well though. Easier to grab block for shields and you could get up to shadow more easily for some crit and phys damage.

it's funny that every BV gimmick build is so much better with an added Rumi's and Vinktar's

in your case you might even run two Rumi's and get flask nodes instead of block nodes

Rumi should take a nerf to be honest

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Rumi HAS been nerfed. It used to give 30% phys damage taken as cold.

BTW I got killed by the most bullshit boss detonate dead yesterday. I triggered a Catarina mission for kill 9 monsters that cast DD on death. I killed 3 of them in a boss room, made sure to step on normal monster corpses to trigger the DD, and then went to town to sell. Then I come back and walk by the boss to loot and it turns out all 3 DDs hadn't triggered yet and I died.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I read over the League and Prophecy articles on the wikia site linked on the other page, but I still don't "get" how you unlock them.

I seem to randomly keep getting one that makes my Whetstone and Armor smith thing give 20%, and I've had one or two others but I don't get how I gain access to pay to have these sealed?

Also, one of the two characters I'm playing is a Necromancer. I've got summon skeletons, zombies, vaal skeletons, and 2 offering spells. I really like the playstyle, but they're still pretty week. Level 16 or so. I'm up to 4 zombies / 6 skeletons.

I find they still need a lot of assistance. I was running some generic elemental Nuke spells, then was experimenting with Contagion / Essence Drain / Wither, but I don't like any of them.

The Offering spells have such a short duration that I constantly need to keep casting them, but I also want to cast my other spells but I don have enough cast rate to do it effectively. Either i cast non-summon related stuff and ask myself why have summons at all, or I just rotate between Flesh & Bone offering and hope they get the job done...

Any suggestions? My necromancer is a Standard character, if that makes a difference. My Scion on Standard isn't *rich*, but I'm not totally broke either...

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

TheRat posted:

GS is endgame viable.

The list of things that arent red map viable is very small.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Whatever prophecy Navali gives you is up to RNGesus. The only restriction would be if you're in a prophecy chain, you can only get the next one in that progression (i.e. you're not going to be doing The Unbreathing Queen 1 again until you finish The Unbreathing Queen 5).

Navali seals prophecies, should be right next to "Seek Prophecy"

You're level 16 or the gems are level 16? Minions are pretty weak in early-game. Someone else can comment on when they really open up, since the last time I played a necro character was...closed beta?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
For the returning players, I highly suggest getting into the guild while learning the ropes again. There are some goons who like to throw extra items around to new players in a pathetic attempt to make themselves look cool(I like to look cool, what can i say).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

Rumi HAS been nerfed. It used to give 30% phys damage taken as cold.

Taste of Hate != Rumi's Concoction

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Sab669 posted:

So I read over the League and Prophecy articles on the wikia site linked on the other page, but I still don't "get" how you unlock them.

I seem to randomly keep getting one that makes my Whetstone and Armor smith thing give 20%, and I've had one or two others but I don't get how I gain access to pay to have these sealed?

Also, one of the two characters I'm playing is a Necromancer. I've got summon skeletons, zombies, vaal skeletons, and 2 offering spells. I really like the playstyle, but they're still pretty week. Level 16 or so. I'm up to 4 zombies / 6 skeletons.

I find they still need a lot of assistance. I was running some generic elemental Nuke spells, then was experimenting with Contagion / Essence Drain / Wither, but I don't like any of them.

The Offering spells have such a short duration that I constantly need to keep casting them, but I also want to cast my other spells but I don have enough cast rate to do it effectively. Either i cast non-summon related stuff and ask myself why have summons at all, or I just rotate between Flesh & Bone offering and hope they get the job done...

Any suggestions? My necromancer is a Standard character, if that makes a difference. My Scion on Standard isn't *rich*, but I'm not totally broke either...

Damage support gems and auras are pretty necessary if you want your minions to have any real killing power.

Also, most summon builds usually rely on Summon Raging Spirit or Raise Spectre doing the bulk of their damage while Zombies act as tanky meat shields. Its possible to do a build using skeletons but its a lot harder.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Oh right, I was thinking of Taste of Hate.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
It's unfortunate that GGG realized it was too much effort to make separate SC/HC league mechanics because they can't make fun murder the gently caress out of you leagues like invasion anymore.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

whypick1 posted:

He's not wrong, rumi's has been nerfed too :D

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BattleHamster posted:

Damage support gems and auras are pretty necessary if you want your minions to have any real killing power.

Also, most summon builds usually rely on Summon Raging Spirit or Raise Spectre doing the bulk of their damage while Zombies act as tanky meat shields. Its possible to do a build using skeletons but its a lot harder.

Not of level to use any of the Curse gems I have :saddowns: I'll have to see what I have for Auras, though...

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Firebatgyro posted:

It's unfortunate that GGG realized it was too much effort to make separate SC/HC league mechanics because they can't make fun murder the gently caress out of you leagues like invasion anymore.

It's not just that it was too much effort. One of the biggest issues was putting 3 months of work into something that 70% of the playerbase would never see, and also making challenges that players felt lovely about because 70% of them would never even consider starting on.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Not of level to use any of the Curse gems I have :saddowns: I'll have to see what I have for Auras, though...

You don't actually need any curses on a summoner. Some people Curse on Hit + Ball Lightning + Vulnerability or something similar but its not necessary.

Here's a pretty good guide that I used to get up and running with a SRS build in prophecy league a couple months ago: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1700016

Try not to pay too much attention to the stats or gear and focus instead on the gem links section. Hatred + Generosity is a staple for practically every good summoner build in addition to running some other auras like Discipline and Haste for you and your minions as well as Arctic Armor and Clarity for personal benefit.

For the SRS spell you'll notice that the goal is to take the largest link you have and just load that one spell up with a bunch of support gems to make a super buff minion (see http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Summon_Raging_Spirit for a great strategy section where it orders the support gems in terms of usefulness). For a spectre build or zombie build or skeletons build this same logic also applies.

One of the nice things about summoners is that you can just scale the skills back while leveling, only using the more effective gems or auras if you don't have the links or mana for them.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 15, 2016

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Sab669 posted:

There's nothing to "gain access" to, just talk to Navali and click Seal Prophecy.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Firebatgyro posted:

I don't understand this post considering invasion was a HC league.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes, but the SC league was Ambush, which was completely different from Invasion. Nowadays SC/HC leagues have the same gimmick.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Nurge posted:

I don't understand this post considering invasion was a HC league.
I think that was the point.

Wondering what I should start with for Essence. I'd like to do EA, but apparently that is one of those annoying "level to 50+ and then respec" and I hate doing those for no adequate reason. I'd think about doing a Doomfletch Elementalist, but that largely depends on how accessible Prophecy stuff is in Essence. I guess I could always go with one of the old standby builds and run poisonquake or bladefall trap, but I like being gimmicky even when it's a bad plan.

funman what should I do

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The Throne is objectively the best fuckin card

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
is it a toilet lol

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"a king's movement is unwavering"

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

The Throne can drop in the following map areas:

Waste Pool Map
Sewer Map

quote:

A king's movement is unwavering.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
loving lol

theshim
May 1, 2012

okay that's loving hilarious

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

theshim posted:

funman what should I do

You should wait until we have more info, like patch notes, and what the tree and ascendancy classes look like before worrying too much about what build you wanna make. A lot of people were planning on playing spark in the leadup to 2.3 and prophecy, then the patch notes hit and plans change. Though I do think Mr. Rat had a good idea with essence drain. I am thinking of doing something essence drain related as mu first dude next league, nothing concrete beyond that.

Edit: Also poop is funny.

theshim
May 1, 2012

funmanguy posted:

You should wait until we have more info, like patch notes, and what the tree and ascendancy classes look like before worrying too much about what build you wanna make. A lot of people were planning on playing spark in the leadup to 2.3 and prophecy, then the patch notes hit and plans change. Though I do think Mr. Rat had a good idea with essence drain. I am thinking of doing something essence drain related as mu first dude next league, nothing concrete beyond that.
Yeah, probably. Just want to have an idea, at least. Maybe I'll just run selfcast Bladefall for the hell of it. I'm also still wondering exactly how badly CoC is gonna get hit, those still tended to be fun.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
my first duder's gonna be ed/cont or bv, but it's very loosely planned out so far

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'll wait for the new skills to get revealed before I settle on my first character for the league.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It'd take a serious change to double-dipping to stop my first char being guardian vortex prolif. I'm sick of playing a bow character and so something that can facetank most things is what I want this time.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
One thing i wanna try day one of the new league is seeing how the essences interact with meta crafting mods. If you use an essence on a rare item it basically chaoses the item giving you 1 guaranteed prefix and random everything else. But if you put Prefixes Cannot Be Changed on it first, do the existing ones stay? If they do then there is a lot of potential in crafting.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I thought all the Essences were beefed up Alch orbs. Do they re-roll rares too?

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

whypick1 posted:

I thought all the Essences were beefed up Alch orbs. Do they re-roll rares too?

They do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it looks like the lower tier ones just upgrade like an alch and the higher tier ones act like an alch+chaos

• Locked thread