Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
I'm the guy flying with poop lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Strangely, it seems that political extremists lack the ability to design, develop, market, and ship a game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Oh yeah, that's what Desborough's been up to, hasn't it? Let's see...flex-funding Indiegogo campaign, always a sign of quality, barely made its base funding goal of $5,000, okay, aaaaaand the last update was seven months ago saying "we're looking at a May release date" and nothing since then, cool.

Like any good crowdsourcer, he seems to update much more regularly on his blog. Most of which is still "sorry, nothing to report, but I'm almost back in the saddle, I swear. PS Buy this other stuff I actually managed to finish please."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's gone to an open playtest recently, but is running about a year behind schedule. Given SKR has been hired by Wizards and also and working with Monte on Invisible Sun, I it would seem his attention's been more than a little divided.
This is, like, a philosophical question. Can Sean K. Reynolds design a D&D 3e derivative so bad that even Monte Cook's name on the cover can't turn it into an undeserving smash hit?

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's an extension of the marketing scheme that's caught on in recent years where you subscribe to a service and they send you things every month. The earliest incarnation I heard of it was cosmetics back in, I want to say 2013, but it's since branched out into all sorts of other things like clothing and even food.

RPGs are just bandwagoning onto a trend, but I don't think it's a good idea in this industry because if you're not licensed to produce things for the big names, you're either sending out very random assortments of junk (as you noticed), or there's really not a lot of stuff worth putting onto a box and shipping to people as far as "RPG related items" goes. Certainly not sustainable in the long term.
Unilever bought the Dollar Shave Club for a billion loving dollars.

I don't see it working with RPGs, especially when it's organized along the lines of "this bundle has eight sci-fi games." I'm sure some people choose products based on genres, but I'm thinking that people who want to buy a bunch of different games are more critical.

You could maybe base a "crate" concept on collections of one-shot storygames, but like you said, that couldn't last but so long.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Spies is... a game? I really don't know because the project creator decided to not describe what the hell they want funded. All they describe is "consists of 20 cards in total. This includes 16 Nazis, 3 Jewish Spies and 1 Hitler cards." Take careful notes, this is a perfect example of what not to do.
What, you're saying they should have made multiple Hitlers? That's terrible. You're a monster.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
What are people's thoughts on Fields of Green?

It's from a reputable publisher with a history of successfully delivered kickstarter projects. The game itself is similar to Artipia's other game Among the Stars although it expands on the the premise and has you building an economy engine in addition to just racking up victory points.

Seems like an interesting little drafting game to me that should play pretty quickly. It helps that I think the art is quite pretty.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/Chaosium_Inc/statuses/765192257389621250

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I was really interested in this when I first heard about it many months ago, but there's just no way I'll be able to afford it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There is a free print-and-play if you just want to play the game.

I've demoed it at Gencon a few times. 's a good game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Haystack posted:

There is a free print-and-play if you just want to play the game.

I've demoed it at Gencon a few times. 's a good game.

I looked at the PnP. It shares most of its DNA with Cthulhu Wars and I have no interest in Glorantha, so I don't need it, but if you liked CW and aren't fussed about theme Gods War is a slightly cheaper but entirely acceptable substitute.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Got $197 to spare? Then you can get in on the ground floor of Monte Cook's latest Kickstarter!

:wtc:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

IT HAS BEGUN.

Christ, already $46 grand.

I love how I look at their list of "unique" sample characters, and realize how easily I could make those characters in a couple of other systems.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm the early playtest access that costs 152 dollars

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Peas and Rice posted:

Got $197 to spare? Then you can get in on the ground floor of Monte Cook's latest Kickstarter!

The whole thing is mind-boggling, but for some reason the following passage particularly stood out:

"Don’t know anything about historical or modern magical traditions or occult beliefs? That’s okay. In fact it’s great. Because the magic and the occult in Invisible Sun has no ties to any real world beliefs. Monte took literally decades of study in such things—tarot, Kabbalah, Vodun, astrology, numerology, mythology, religion, the Tree of Life, and so on—and built an entirely original occult system for the setting."

So not only is Monte the moon, he's also an expert on literally every kind of occultism and has created a completely original system of magic ex nihilo.

(Also I'm pretty certain that study of the Kabbalah includes the Tree of Life)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

the Kickstarter posted:

Inside the specially designed cube you will find four books, a folding game board, a resin monolith, a metal medallion, four special dice, player handouts, tokens, and hundreds of cards to enhance your gameplay.

So hopefully these won't be small books.
Curious what these cards are supposed to be.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

quote:

They are no longer trapped in Shadow—where you are right now—but inhabit the Actuality, a world that seems like a surreal dream to those of us toiling aimlessly in the boring, grey realm that we falsely believe is the real world.

quote:

But nothing like what you’ve seen before. Invisible Sun makes magic magical again. Magic’s not just a series of mechanics.
Party like it's nineteen eighty loving nine.

Pardon me, I have a burrito to throw up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Flavivirus posted:

(Also I'm pretty certain that study of the Kabbalah includes the Tree of Life)

I think they're both broader concepts than one another. There are certainly non-Kabbalahistic mystical Tree of Life concepts, though I'm not sure if the reverse is true.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cerepol posted:

Going by the parts list, there's a "Sooth Deck" (60 cards) used to inspire GMs and players, a "Spell Deck" (200 cards), an "Empemera Deck" (300 cards) for the other spells, and an "Artifact Deck" (100 cards). Oh, there's also a playing board and 100 tokens used to track poo poo.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Going by the parts list, there's a "Sooth Deck" (60 cards) used to inspire GMs and players, a "Spell Deck" (200 cards), an "Empemera Deck" (300 cards) for the other spells, and an "Artifact Deck" (100 cards). Oh, there's also a playing board and 100 tokens used to track poo poo.

Is this a board game in disguise? Does FFG know that Monte is creeping in on their 1vMany territory?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cerepol posted:

This makes his blog post about sharing costs make a lot more sense.

I would (and did) handily shell out $200 for Delta Green because it's a known system and a known setting. It seems awfully bold to ask the same entry level for something untested. But OTOH people seem to be willing to pay it so what do I know.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Monte Cook posted:

makes magic magical again

:smugdon:

$197 for a playtest is also pretty :smugdon:. Whatever happened to his last Kickstarter tabletop game? I think I saw it once in a comic shop but never since.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Peas and Rice posted:

Katalyka II: Sun Harder looks good.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Excuse me while I drop a minimum of $539 for the post-launch updates to the campaign.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Peas and Rice posted:

This makes his blog post about sharing costs make a lot more sense.

I would (and did) handily shell out $200 for Delta Green because it's a known system and a known setting. It seems awfully bold to ask the same entry level for something untested. But OTOH people seem to be willing to pay it so what do I know.

That blog post got reprinted on the invisible sun site as a Thing You Should Consider, so yeah.

http://invisiblesunrpg.com/corona/gamesasagrouppurchase/

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

:smugdon:

$197 for a playtest is also pretty :smugdon:. Whatever happened to his last Kickstarter tabletop game? I think I saw it once in a comic shop but never since.

The Strange? As I understand it, it's not as big as Numenera, but I assume they still made a profit on it. And Numenera's trucking along still getting supplements, it had another successful kickstarter for the next set of books last year.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

SilverMike posted:

Excuse me while I drop a minimum of $539 for the post-launch updates to the campaign.

Alright for this one at least it sounds like a personalized campaign.

quote:

For twelve months (starting when you tell us you are beginning your campaign, within one year of delivery of the game), Monte sends you new material, sometimes in electronic form and sometimes as a physical package. This includes adventure material, campaign advice, handouts, props, and special physical items. It’s like Monte himself is your GM coach, providing step-by-step advice and aids for your campaign as you run it. We’ll even send your players intriguing mystery packages tied to the campaign that are keyed to their character. And there’s more.

At least I hope it is partially personalized.

Also while shipping is free the USD to CAD conversion rate makes it closer to $275 for basic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
I don't buy a lot of lush board games, so someone tell me: what's it like to buy an expensive game with a bunch of physical doodads, only to find it's a mix of tired, dated, misguided, and simply lousy design?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Christ, I want to start some kind of "Things That Haven't Been Innovative in RPGs Since 1990" bingo card for that KS pitch. It doesn't help that the actual content appears to be "what if Don't Rest Your Head had its head wedged completely up its rear end"/"what if Unknown Armies decided that being an adept was super-k-rad and had no drawbacks and gently caress YOU for wanting to play a Mundane, BRAD!"

The sad thing is, it's triggering my "collect this beautiful, unplayable roleplaying object" urge, but two hundo is a lot to ask even for that giant box of feelies. That stupid hand statue, though!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

The sad thing is, it's triggering my "collect this beautiful, unplayable roleplaying object" urge, but two hundo is a lot to ask even for that giant box of feelies. That stupid hand statue, though!
The best part is that the hand statue apparently has an in-game use. It holds one of the "Sooth Cards" so everyone can see it during play.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Jesus christ, you don't even get stretch goals without a $500 pledge.

edit: and yes, it's triggering my RPG lust even though I know it's just going to be another Monte heartbreaker

edit2: sent a link to a friend of mine I haven't gamed with in 15 years - "Sounds like something TSR would have released in 1992"

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 15, 2016

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm one of the few Numenera fans on this forum, but even I cannot see the appeal of this. Maybe it'll come out and be incredible and we'll all have to eat humble pie, but I doubt it. It just looks like an incoherent mess of tropes. The custom campaign aspect in the $500 reward is cool though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Peas and Rice posted:

TESTAMENT OF SUNS

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't buy a lot of lush board games, so someone tell me: what's it like to buy an expensive game with a bunch of physical doodads, only to find it's a mix of tired, dated, misguided, and simply lousy design?

Let me introduce you to a little thing called the sunk cost fallacy.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Wait, 197 bucks is the lowest tier? There's not even a $1 "thanks for the support" tier?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Red Metal posted:

Wait, 197 bucks is the lowest tier? There's not even a $1 "thanks for the support" tier?

Monte Cook doesn't need your support to "make magic magical again". He needs $$$.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Red Metal posted:

:smaug: Money, dear boy.

I'm actually tempted to write a comprehensive letter to him on how this is nonsense at best. But unfortunately he likely wouldn't listen to it (having been drunk on his own hype for years now), and he may have moved in the ten years since I last had his mailing address. Plus, y'know, it may be doxing. (He and his wife periodically sell off old RPG stuff that they're not using at a discount, and back when I was a fanboy for and collector of 3.x I managed to pick up a copy of Magic of Faerun from such a sale.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does anyone want halfling archers? Random guy running the project, but the sculpts themselves are a commission from the scruntacular Bob Olley

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Red Metal posted:

There's no need for one ever, you can always select No Reward. The $1 tiers are generally used by project runners as an easy way to track people who are interested enough to want updates but not to commit just yet.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I'm backing for $1 just so I can see how crazy this actually gets. I'd be lying if I said I weren't intrigued but $200 is loving steep as hell for something that just seems like it'll be a pain in the rear end to play with all of the fiddly bits.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

shoplifter posted:

edit: and yes, it's triggering my RPG lust even though I know it's just going to be another Monte heartbreaker

Upside: Dennis Detwiller works there now and is involved.
Downside: it's still called Monte Cook Games by Monte Cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In the latest :psyduck: news regarding the Mekton KS, they've purchased their own POD setup to send out the books... next thing they're going to reveal they've built their own cloud storage solution to deliver the PDFs at this rate.