Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Every time Trek has put someone in a dumb catsuit to be sexy it's never worked. They always look better wearing a Starfleet uniform than one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
eh seven > troi

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Veotax posted:

Every time Trek has put someone in a dumb catsuit to be sexy it's never worked. They always look better wearing a Starfleet uniform than one of those.
Yeah, I'm glad they decided to keep Troi in a Starfleet uniform after Jellico politely asked her to cut that poo poo out on the bridge.

e: On a totally unrelated point, how are the Eaglemoss models (the ones in the magazine subscriptions). I want to grab a USS Defiant.

Falken fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 15, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Falken posted:

You know, looking back I always find it amusing that I was the only teenager out of my group of trek friends who didn't really get on board with the whole catsuit deal. I always wanted her to be in a Starfleet uniform, and preferred her look in that holodeck episode (name?) and Relativity where she has her Borg implants removed and is in a Science uniform.

I am not sure anyone actually bought 7 of 9 as anything other than what she was.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

If I were one of the Maquis crewmen and I'd been told I had to wear the Star Fleet monkey suit all the time for "unity" reasons only to find out that the weird aliens and sexy borg lady were apparently exempt from that rule, I'd be pissed.

Of course, the Maquis uniforms they had were ugly as sin, but they could have at least given them a special pin or something.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

T'pol's independent catsuits were nice, but mostly because they were colourful and looked less awful than her mottled science directorate one.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I think its hard to top the original costume idea's for Tasha Yar. The production side had agreed on a female security officer early on, but thought it would be a good idea if she wore high heels. Apparently cooler heads prevailed and Denise Crosby got the yellow shirt. This is just a hunch but I think this old costume idea might explain(partly) why doesn't have much to do in and how little she actually moves in her few episodes not involving bridenapping tribals or tar monsters.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 15, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gonz posted:

I know Walter Koenig is 80 years old, but on that History Channel show last night, he looked like a ghost.

Is he just old as gently caress or does he have an illness of some kind?
Dude's old and one of his two children suicided. They can't all be immortal Pillar men like Stewart, who I swear to God has shown no signs of aging, save increasing neck wattle, since Dune.

Armin Shimerman seems to be doing well. Didn't Nog's actor have like, a kidney disorder, which is why he was borderline-little person status?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Duckbag posted:

Of course, the Maquis uniforms they had were ugly as sin, but they could have at least given them a special pin or something.

The Maquis crew members did actually get their own 'provisional officer' rank pips.

Ignore the captain and commander ranks, the highest rank seen on screen was Chakotay's Lt. Commander pips.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Should've given them their own combadges so they weren't wearing Starfleet symbols, but I'm sure the writers just thought that'd confuse the audience.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
What Star Trek really should have done is kept the miniskirts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

What Star Trek really should have done is kept the miniskirts.

But to keep it non-sexist, give the men miniskirts too?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

But to keep it non-sexist, give the men miniskirts too?

They actually did in TNG Season 1. Then they went away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I know. Such a pity they never put Riker in one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

I know. Such a pity they never put Riker in one.

Um...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Such. A. Pity.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic
I'm just curious, did people talk in here about similarities between Q Who and ST Beyond? I finally got around to seeing it and the whole time I couldn't help but feel like the movie was a shittier rehash of a great episode. They lifted the whole "you're not ready to be out here" thing directly from the episode but whereas Q Who gave us the Borg beyond just gave us kamikaze drones and a weird vampire.

In the mainstream reviews folks talked about how Beyond got back to ST's roots about philosophizing about humanity but I honestly didn't see it. It still felt like a dumb action movie with Picard's dune buggy 2.0.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
IMO Krall's motive seems to be the same as General Chang's in ST6 but the other film does a much better job illustrating why the other villain feels the way he does especially as you can see several of the Starfleet characters feel the same way to varying degrees.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
And even though T'Pol's jumpsuits were decent, the episode where Archer has extra-dimensional brain parasites blocking his long term memory had her in a standard Enterprise uniform and it looked really drat good on her.

Also, regarding Jeri Ryan, never forget that she led directly to an Obama presidency!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
No, she didn't lead directly to it. Her husband's abusive behavior towards her did, because it revealed that he was a shithead.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What was the whole story behind the Jeri Ryan \ Obama presidency thing again?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

What was the whole story behind the Jeri Ryan \ Obama presidency thing again?

Her husband, Jack Ryan, was running for Senate in Illinois. During his campaign, their divorce documents were leaked, which showed that he was an abusive dick who pressured her to have sex in public and took her to sex clubs and etc. Jack Ryan drops out of the race, leaving a certain Barack Obama to win that Senate seat.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Her husband, Jack Ryan, was running for Senate in Illinois. During his campaign, their divorce documents were leaked, which showed that he was an abusive dick who pressured her to have sex in public and took her to sex clubs and etc. Jack Ryan drops out of the race, leaving a certain Barack Obama to win that Senate seat.

The same Jack Ryan from the Hunter for Red October and Clear and Present Danger? What? He's an American hero! And also Harrison Ford and sometimes Alec Baldwin!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Watching the Star Trek retrospective. Jonathan Frakes seems to be saying that watching Star Trek was the only happy thing his family did when he was growing up :stare:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Watching the Star Trek retrospective. Jonathan Frakes seems to be saying that watching Star Trek was the only happy thing his family did when he was growing up :stare:

No, he was saying that of all the comments he got saying "Star Trek inspired me to be an engineer or a doctor or whatever" the most powerful ones were people who said "When Star Trek was on, it was the only time my family was at peace."

He wasn't referring to his own personal situation.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

WampaLord posted:

This thread title is really taking us places.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

The same Jack Ryan from the Hunter for Red October and Clear and Present Danger? What? He's an American hero! And also Harrison Ford and sometimes Alec Baldwin!

And Chris Pine!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Dude's old and one of his two children suicided. They can't all be immortal Pillar men like Stewart, who I swear to God has shown no signs of aging, save increasing neck wattle, since Dune.

He's aged very well but he very much has shown signs of aging. Please compare:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

WampaLord posted:

No, he was saying that of all the comments he got saying "Star Trek inspired me to be an engineer or a doctor or whatever" the most powerful ones were people who said "When Star Trek was on, it was the only time my family was at peace."

He wasn't referring to his own personal situation.

I should have been paying more attention then :shrug:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I did like Walter Koenig's anecdote about how everyone else used to get letters about "you inspired me to be a doctor/engineer/proud-of-my-race..." and he finally got one about "you inspired me to learn Russian and go work for for the state department, but I can't tell you anything about what I do :ninja:"

"I inspired someone to become a spy :unsmith:"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've been reading that 50 Years of Star Trek interview book (the first volume), and I had no idea that apparently George Takei was resentful of Koenig at one point because of scripts. I guess Takei was off doing another TV show when they had started filming the 2nd season of TOS, and the writers gave some of the parts meant for Sulu to Chekov. Needless to say Takei was not pleased, and I guess it led to some resentment towards Koenig for awhile.

I had also not been familiar with the previous attempts to make a first ST feature film before they settled on what became TMP. I knew some of the saga with the script they all called 'The God Thing', which somehow was very similar to what ended up happening for FF but I guess those two writers never compared notes? The Clash of the Titans idea or whatever that was was pretty nuts....I'm not sure how people would have reacted had that been the first ST film.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chekov was his replacement to the point the two shared a single copy of the scripts and all sorts of lovely things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That Futurama episode really went for the deep cuts, huh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Their reliance on metaphor has left me entirely unable to comprehend clear body language!

*smiling alien hands Picard a knife, handle first*

NO!

*menacing growl is heard from nearby. alien appears concerned, holds out the knife more urgently.*

I WILL NOT FIGHT YOU!

*alien, halfway through the monster's digestive tract, points toward the knife on the ground, then at the monster's head*

WE ARE A PEACEFUL PEOPLE!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Falken posted:

Yeah, I'm glad they decided to keep Troi in a Starfleet uniform after Jellico politely asked her to cut that poo poo out on the bridge.

e: On a totally unrelated point, how are the Eaglemoss models (the ones in the magazine subscriptions). I want to grab a USS Defiant.

I ordered the Enterprise-D for $5.99 then cancelled my subscription because that poo poo is too expensive for a twice-monthly service.

That said, it's a nicely made model. But I'm fairly certain you can't pick and choose, it's a subscription thing, so I guess you just get them in order. The next in line was the Enterprise from the reboots, I think.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He's aged very well but he very much has shown signs of aging. Please compare:

I think what trips us up is that he basically already had an "old man look" ages ago. Mostly bald with white hair and all. Same basic appearance decades later.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've been reading that 50 Years of Star Trek interview book (the first volume), and I had no idea that apparently George Takei was resentful of Koenig at one point because of scripts. I guess Takei was off doing another TV show when they had started filming the 2nd season of TOS, and the writers gave some of the parts meant for Sulu to Chekov. Needless to say Takei was not pleased, and I guess it led to some resentment towards Koenig for awhile.

This is heartwarming though, because they turned it around so much Koenig was Takei's best man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I ordered the Enterprise-D for $5.99 then cancelled my subscription because that poo poo is too expensive for a twice-monthly service.

That said, it's a nicely made model. But I'm fairly certain you can't pick and choose, it's a subscription thing, so I guess you just get them in order. The next in line was the Enterprise from the reboots, I think.

If you're in the US any local comic shop can order them as they come out. It's gonna be more expensive but you only get the ships you want.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mortanis posted:

And even though T'Pol's jumpsuits were decent, the episode where Archer has extra-dimensional brain parasites blocking his long term memory had her in a standard Enterprise uniform and it looked really drat good on her.

Also, regarding Jeri Ryan, never forget that she led directly to an Obama presidency!

It's really unfortunate that they kept doing the boobsuits. I'm not sure which is more depressing, a bunch of producers sitting around the table leering at pictures of women and going "which one will look the best in a catsuit? how high should the heels be? let's get someone with even bigger boobs than your girlfriend!!", or a suit from Paramount Marketing droning through a PowerPoint presentation on how putting Jolene Blalock in a boobsuit increases projected unit sales by 17%.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
please god remove catsuits from your plan for space opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The thing is, Seven's outfit makes a lot of sense given her background: no baggy fabric to get in the way of work, all one piece so fewer items of clothing to keep track of, and covers up whatever Borg hardware might still be left. With Star Trek fabric technology, rather than a restrictive corseted costume it could easily be the most comfortable and practical attire. A throwaway line from her could have explained that.The heels are kind of indefensible though - however, in a TV Guide interview with Jeri Ryan she literally said "nobody makes me wear four inch heels" so I guess she didn't mind? Or maybe she just wanted to fully commit to it.