Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

In vaguely USPol-related news, Comedy Central has cancelled "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore".

I get it. I liked a lot of his stuff, but it never really clicked with me. Oh well.

I think his show can best be summed up in his WHCD performance. He raised or put an exclamation point on points regarding race, but most of it just came off as stilted or not really confident in the delivery and approach.

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Boon posted:

I think his show can best be summed up in his WHCD performance. He raised or put an exclamation point on points regarding race, but most of it just came off as stilted or not really confident in the delivery and approach.

Basically, while a talented and smart guy, I don't think his persona was ever big enough to pull in eyeballs. He's kinda lowkey.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

In vaguely USPol-related news, Comedy Central has cancelled "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore".

I get it. I liked a lot of his stuff, but it never really clicked with me. Oh well.

Wilmore grew on me as time went on, but honestly the dude was a terrible replacement for Colbert. Dunno how out of all the possible correspondents, CC decided to go with him. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

From http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/what-we-learned-about-trumps-supporters-this-week

I mean, this was the most obvious thing in the world, but it's good we've cleared that up nonetheless.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Boon posted:

So just loving around with the electoral map, if Hillary wins Georgia (unlikely, but... still) she'd probably clear 400 electoral votes

:stare:

I dunno, just taking all the swing states plus Georgia and Arizona would give Hillary 374. Adding on NE 2nd, South Carolina, and Missouri would give her 394. To get any more than that, it's a pretty big jump to start cracking solid red states like Mississippi and Texas.

This article has a nice overview of "Clinton landslide" scenarios and what kind of polls Hillary would need to make that happen.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Which Clinton policies even closely resemble Trump's? I can't think of a single one.

I think they're both against the TPP.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Scent of Worf posted:

From http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/what-we-learned-about-trumps-supporters-this-week

I mean, this was the most obvious thing in the world, but it's good we've cleared that up nonetheless.

Yeah wasn't this the same deal in England where the people that were voting Brexit and most terrified of foreigners and EU influence were living in areas that were predominantly white?

This stuff is why I get livid when one of my devil's advocate friends starts talking about why we should be trying to understand Trumpsters and why they are so legitimately angry.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 15, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

I dunno, just taking all the swing states plus Georgia and Arizona would give Hillary 374. Adding on NE 2nd, South Carolina, and Missouri would give her 394. To get any more than that, it's a pretty big jump to start cracking solid red states like Mississippi and Texas.

This article has a nice overview of "Clinton landslide" scenarios and what kind of polls Hillary would need to make that happen.

Wups, I hosed up. I didn't realize that 270towin saves previous maps (from past days/weeks) and one day I was playing around with what a blue Texas might look like on the map. I didn't see that it was left blue :(

I retract my previous - no possible way to 400.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CommieGIR posted:

The fact that they even asked about a Third Term shows how disconnected from reality they've become, their own conspiracy theories have grown into adults and are having paranoid children of their own.

Or they're doing the standard thing and referring to Obama's successor as Obama's third term.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Boon posted:

Wups, I hosed up. I didn't realize that 270towin saves previous maps (from past days/weeks) and one day I was playing around with what a blue Texas might look like on the map. I didn't see that it was left blue :(

I retract my previous - no possible way to 400.
I mean, it's possible, it just requires Trump to swear allegiance to Putin while sacrificing a child to Moloch live onstage.

He'd still get 30%.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh buddy this survey the Trump campaign sent out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/765199922857644032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

CascadeBeta posted:

That's always been what I've wondered too. What's stopping people from, you know, lying? Especially since the people that are likely to do harm to the country wouldn't have a problem with lying, while people who don't probably would?
We actually already do questionnaires for pretty much anyone entering the US in one way or another, so it's not even really a new idea, it's just that thing we're already doing (like when people say we should background check refugees, who already pass through some of the most grueling processing of any people).

Obviously you can just lie on a questionnaire, but they still serve some purpose. Immediately, they create a very basic cross-check for applicants. For instance, when you apply for a US visa, you will complete a questionnaire online prior to the interview; the interviewer has access to that, and can use it to orient questions or look for discrepancies. Many people are essentially lovely liars, and their answers won't mesh completely, especially if you come after the same information from different directions/prompts. Secondly, the questionnaires form a history for each person - if people are lying, they may not lie consistently or might get confused about their previous lies. If you ask the same questions every time someone enters/applies, those differences come up and can show you where someone is either lying or hiding something.

Finally, lying on the questionnaires creates an immediate penalty against people. So for example, being a member of the communist party does not actually stop someone coming to the US or even having a lot of trouble doing so (depending on what you did as a member; if you commissared political dissidents, ok, you have problems). But lying about it is fraud, and makes you immediately ineligible. Penalties for fraud also remain long after the original offense might not be considered relevant.

But no, they aren't actually very useful if your goal is to catch people who are making a single trip to the US with the intent to commit some sort of attack.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

If Donald Trump said or did half of the things Hillary Clinton has, the media would effectively end his candidacy.

lol

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Quoth The Donald, "Arzy more."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This makes even less sense than usual from Drudge.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oh my god. The campaign is going to use this to completely circle the wagons aren't they? Build a wall, so to speak?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That survey demonstrates more clearly than ever that Trump is not an outlier, but instead is the rawest expression of the GOP. It's just line after line of time-tested GOP talking points

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

This was it. Thank you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr Interweb posted:

Wilmore grew on me as time went on, but honestly the dude was a terrible replacement for Colbert. Dunno how out of all the possible correspondents, CC decided to go with him. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

No one could have replaced Colbert, not trying was smart.

He was OK as a host but it took him way too long to get comfortable as a panel moderator. Guests would run their mouth about whatever they felt like and wouldn't get called on it often enough or hard enough. I hope his correspondents move on to better things.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Which online sources do you use? (Select as many that apply.)
Drudge Report
Breitbart
National Review
Weekly Standard
Free Beacon
Daily Caller
American Spectator
Red Alert Politics

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boon posted:

Oh my god. The campaign is going to use this to completely circle the wagons aren't they? Build a wall, so to speak?

Nah, stuff like this is just to snake personal info from people, but it shows what the Trump campain is thinking.

I mean, it's fully possible that the Trump camp thinks this is legit good polling but they aren't going to be able to get anyone in the party to take them seriously.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I mean, it's possible, it just requires Trump to swear allegiance to Putin while sacrificing a child to Moloch live onstage.

He'd still get 30%.

Trump admitting that he repeatedly raped his daughter and underage girls might flip Texas and Mississippi. So, 50% odds?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

No one could have replaced Colbert, not trying was smart.

He was OK as a host but it took him way too long to get comfortable as a panel moderator. Guests would run their mouth about whatever they felt like and wouldn't get called on it often enough or hard enough. I hope his correspondents move on to better things.

Sure, but they definitely could have picked someone more talented and with more personality than Wilmore.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

The insidious mainstream media is always attempting to link the 2nd amendment to gun violence. Sad!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You know Gravis, that firm that Breitbart asked to do a poll and it still showed Clinton well ahead?

This is how bad Gravis are.

quote:

Harris wound up obliterating Smigiel by a 78-11 margin, a net clobbering of 67 points. Remember, though, that Gravis showed Smigiel ahead by 29 points. That means they were off on the final margin by that astounding figure: 96 points.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chin Strap posted:

Drudge Report
Breitbart
National Review
Weekly Standard
Free Beacon
Daily Caller
American Spectator
Red Alert Politics

I got to this and just can't stop laughing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

By the way if you ever wonder what a push poll is, that survey is the platonic ideal of a push poll.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Antti posted:

You know Gravis, that firm that Breitbart asked to do a poll and it still showed Clinton well ahead?

This is how bad Gravis are.

Sounds like a perfect fit for Breitbart.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chin Strap posted:

Drudge Report
Breitbart
National Review
Weekly Standard
Free Beacon
Daily Caller
American Spectator
Red Alert Politics

I've never even heard of Free Beacon, American Spectator and Red Alert Politics.

Can we do a write-in for Free Republic and Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers (II)?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

theflyingorc posted:

If nothing else, when Villanova won the NCAA tournament he did the show as 70's Larry, and it was hilarious.

The show was limited by the panel format. 10 minutes of 4 people talking over each other just doesn't work. Following the Daily Show also hurt, because his opening piece would sound a lot like Trevor Noah's opening piece because they are both going over the same news cycle. Oh Trump said thing and Hillary said other thing and sometimes someone else political will do something idiotic and both shows would cover it.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 15, 2016

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Antti posted:

By the way if you ever wonder what a push poll is, that survey is the platonic ideal of a push poll.

Not only that, some of the statements are phrased in such a way that even saying "no" implies you still agree with it. Even if I were to assume competence on their part, that means they were going to get the same talking points from the survey regardless of what data they actually got.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 15, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've never even heard of Free Beacon, American Spectator and Red Alert Politics.

Can we do a write-in for Free Republic and Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers (II)?

Not even a "I don't trust the media, it's 100% lies except when I can imply that black people are bad from it", smh.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I got to this and just can't stop laughing.

Some credit is due to whoever edited out RT from the list...

(Also, aren't some of these, uhm, fine publications, at least somewhat anti-Trump?)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I preferred Clinton's poll.
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/764219041020055552

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

OddObserver posted:

(Also, aren't some of these, uhm, fine publications, at least somewhat anti-Trump?)

What better way to identify those who aren't ideologically pure enough?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CannonFodder posted:

Following the Daily Show also hurt, because his opening piece would sound a lot like Trevor Noah's opening piece because they are both going over the same news cycle. Oh Trump said thing and Hillary said other thing and sometimes someone else political will do something idiotic and both shows would cover it.

I don't necessarily agree. I think the problem wasn't that the same material was covered, it's that it was covered from essentially the same angle. Remember that Stewart and Colbert were essentially doing the same thing as well, the difference is that Colbert began his show by covering it from the angle of a Bill O'Reilly style host (I say began because Colbert became his own thing in the years after).

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Epic Fail, no "All of the Above" option

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mr Interweb posted:

Sure, but they definitely could have picked someone more talented and with more personality than Wilmore.

Wilmore is talented as poo poo man.

He's a legit funny dude with tons of skill at writing comedy.

He's not the best showman or like you said doesn't have the personality to anchor a show like that. But his talent and skill at comedy is amazing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:stare: gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Boon posted:

I don't necessarily agree. I think the problem wasn't that the same material was covered, it's that it was covered from essentially the same angle. Remember that Stewart and Colbert were essentially doing the same thing as well, the difference is that Colbert began his show by covering it from the angle of a Bill O'Reilly style host (I say began because Colbert became his own thing in the years after).

It would also help if either of them were funny.

• Locked thread