Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Still no stopwatch for comp lmao why is Blizzard so bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LCL-Dead posted:

is there a professional / semi-pro / popular twitch player named Fishscale?

Guy popped into one of my comp matches last night and the other two in his group eventually got to the point where they were asking me and someone else, "You don't know who he is?!"

"No..."

Most annoying group of people I've encountered in comp so far.

Not that a simple Google or Youtube search reveals, no.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

fadam posted:

Still no stopwatch for comp lmao why is Blizzard so bad.

time bank is fine

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Guy popped into one of my comp matches last night and the other two in his group eventually got to the point where they were asking me and someone else, "You don't know who he is?!"

"No..."

the occam's razor here is that they were loving with you because that's "funny"

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Nah

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is anyone able to bullet point the season 2 changes for those of us who can't watch videos at work?

Thank you :)

strong bird
May 12, 2009

1) Number bigger (bigger number = gooder)
2) Theres metal tiers and chess ranks
3) Theyre afraid of saying 'stopwatch' cause the game is called 'overwatch' and if u stop the watch then u cant over watch

Walfry
Sep 6, 2007

RCarr posted:

Is anyone able to bullet point the season 2 changes for those of us who can't watch videos at work?

Thank you :)

Just go to overpwn and scroll past the heroes, a rough transcription of it is posted there.

http://www.overpwn.com/

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

Benq 2411z is the monitor I'm about to pull the trigger on. It's a 24" TN panel. I first looked in the SA monitor mega thread and got the impression buying anything other than an $800 IPS panel monitor would give me AIDS. I looked at what pros were using and most of them were using $250-$270 144hz TN panel monitors. The IPS improves viewing angles and color shifting which neither is vital to competitive gaming and more important for video viewing experience as a tv replacement.

I think they all use Benq monitors because they're the biggest PRO GAMING sponsor of the monitor brands.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Has Jeff always looked so sad? Like not trying to insult him, he just looks depressed.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah people really overeating the effort pros make at this stuff. Most are/were broke as hell and use what's given to them or what they're used to.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Now I've got my eyes on that BenQ 27" refurb monitor. My wife is going to kill me.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i upgraded my mouse from an ancient dell mouse that i stole from work that sometimes doesnt register a click to a fancy mouse that lets you turn the dpi down and that actually helped a shitload

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I like that a lot of the changes are just making numbers bigger to make manbabies feel better even though nothing is effectively changed.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to find where my bottleneck is..

I run the following:
i5 2500k @ 4.2
GTX 980
8GB RAM
Game is installed on an SSD and graphics are set to maximum @ 1080p.

When not streaming my fps is unlimited (when streaming I cap it to 80 to leave the GPU some room for the stream). When uncapped I fluctuate between 110 and 180fps but I see people running 970's and older cards (Namely the 780 TI) streaming with fps counters stable up in the 190-210 range.

What the hell is holding me back?

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

Verranicus posted:

I like that a lot of the changes are just making numbers bigger to make manbabies feel better even though nothing is effectively changed.

This is actually kind of similar to how Heroes of the Storm ranking works, but yeah in HOTS they don't do the whole 5000 ranks thing... That seems a bit overkill.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I bought a fancy new gaming mouse and large mouse pad several weeks ago but i am still in the habit of just using my wrist to aim for the most part. I've turned the in-game sens down and the dpi up but it still feels a bit sluggish to me. Hard to adjust after years of "doing it wrong." The only thing I've really played consistently for the past few years is WoW where you don't need precision. Lady time i seriously played any online fps was CS 1.6 about 13 years ago.

For reference, my in-game is at 7, windows in the middle, and dpi at 800 which gives about a 10" 360.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mierenneuker posted:

The whole video also seems to be a single unedited take. How often do you see that these days?

It's pretty cool, and it's psychological. It seems more "real" and honest this way. Definitely a planned technique.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

LCL-Dead posted:

I run the following:
i5 2500k @ 4.2
GTX 980
8GB RAM

When not streaming my fps is unlimited (when streaming I cap it to 80 to leave the GPU some room for the stream). When uncapped I fluctuate between 110 and 180fps but I see people running 970's and older cards (Namely the 780 TI) streaming with fps counters stable up in the 190-210 range.

I believe your processor is what's holding you back. Blizzard games tend to be pretty processor intensive. I got an i5 4960k in my latest build and it's been doing a great job. I have a 970, 8 GB RAM and an SSD.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LCL-Dead posted:

I run the following:
i5 2500k @ 4.2
GTX 980
8GB RAM

Probably the processor.

Do you close everything else besides the game?

If so, read this and follow the steps, helped me get and extra 15 fps: https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/4vz5sh/cut_my_input_delay_in_half_and_loving_it/

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

This is actually kind of similar to how Heroes of the Storm ranking works, but yeah in HOTS they don't do the whole 5000 ranks thing... That seems a bit overkill.

Like I don't mind the changes at all, I just find it funny some people will think they're GREAT! even though they're not actually changing anything.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LCL-Dead posted:

Now I've got my eyes on that BenQ 27" refurb monitor. My wife is going to kill me.

Is there a particular reason you want 27"?. I think that'd be more annoying to have something that large unless you're like sitting really far back from your monitor?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Verranicus posted:

pardon me if im wrong but this is all videogames

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Like I don't mind the changes at all, I just find it funny some people will think they're GREAT! even though they're not actually changing anything.

"Yeah I ranked at 3601. Glad I'm not part of the 3600 and below plebs."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Overwatch: Queueing with(out) friends.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ya I was pretty bummed about my rank 30 but now that I'm 1500 I'm really feeling it. Plus I've got this awesome silver portrait, I mean silver is second best at the Olympics

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

Is there a particular reason you want 27"?. I think that'd be more annoying to have something that large unless you're like sitting really far back from your monitor?

I'm not him, but I'm currently playing on a 39" monitor that's like 24" from my face, because I'm retarded. Number one reason I wish the UI was customizable; I'm pretty sure I can't see my health or ammo counter when I'm playing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am looking forward to my new placement matches hopefully not being bugged like the first ones were with the koth bug.

i am going to continue to solo queue because all my friends stopped playing like a month ago~

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Zoness posted:

Overwatch: Queueing with(out) friends.

Not saying people shouldn't play with friends, but if some nerds legitimately care about their rank going up I'd say without a doubt playing solo is better.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just had a game of Lucioball ruined by a team mate with a name made out of Korean characters who was clearly a bot, just skating around and spazzing in different directions not actually participating

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Papercut posted:

I'm not him, but I'm currently playing on a 39" monitor that's like 24" from my face, because I'm retarded. Number one reason I wish the UI was customizable; I'm pretty sure I can't see my health or ammo counter when I'm playing.

Pffft, i'm playing on a 50 inch television, and i miss that and the kill feed ,chat msg's, and probably anyone coming into my peripheral.

I'm probably going to buy a 24 or 27 inch monitor soon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LCL-Dead posted:

"No..."

"Wait, wasn't he the guy from that news report? Yeah! The pedophile!"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Pffft, i'm playing on a 50 inch television, and i miss that and the kill feed ,chat msg's, and probably anyone coming into my peripheral.

I'm probably going to buy a 24 or 27 inch monitor soon.

I want to get a 27" gaming monitor, but I don't want give up my 39", so I would need the 27" to be on an arm that is extendable enough to reach halfway across my desk. I don't even know if that's possible.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Papercut posted:

I want to get a 27" gaming monitor, but I don't want give up my 39", so I would need the 27" to be on an arm that is extendable enough to reach halfway across my desk. I don't even know if that's possible.

That's actually what i'm planning on doing because i like watching TV shows from my 50 inch monitor when i don't game. Lets investigate together.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

i hanjo matches are going to get so much saltier with these changes. I can't wait.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bacontotem posted:

i hanjo matches are going to get so much saltier with these changes. I can't wait.

What is your Blizzard ID? Is it Knobs?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

That's actually what i'm planning on doing because i like watching TV shows from my 50 inch monitor when i don't game. Lets investigate together.

I got one of these bad boys when they were on sale:

https://smile.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0?ie=UTF8&tag=pcpapi-20

of course i play like this:

so it might not help.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 15, 2016

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

What is your Blizzard ID? Is it Knobs?

Bacontotem#1419

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Can't wait for I Hanjo to drop to Rank 1 out of 5000. :getin: