Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heavy Metal posted:

I heard she.... rattles the cages...

By the way just saw Suicide Squad. It is cheesy, doesn't always hit the mark, but it is ultimately "good enough" as Cyndi Lauper once said. It's less good than say the 2009 film GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, but it is a better yarn than Jonah Hex.

Well let's go to the graph and check that:

Okay, Jonah Hex is definitely worse than Suicide Squad but I think GI Joe: Rise of Cobra might be just behind Suicide Squad, although it's really close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If we're lising GI Joe, would Men in Black technically count as a 'Marvel' movie, too, if only through their acquisition of Malibu.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well let's go to the graph and check that:

Okay, Jonah Hex is definitely worse than Suicide Squad but I think GI Joe: Rise of Cobra might be just behind Suicide Squad, although it's really close.

I was referring to my opinions, since I was reviewing it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

If we're lising GI Joe, would Men in Black technically count as a 'Marvel' movie, too, if only through their acquisition of Malibu.

I was just comparing movies, though all comic book movies. Oh right the graph thingy, well Hasbro owned GI Joe so it was a licensed comic, like say a Doctor Who comic from IDW. But it was a popular comic at Marvel. Speaking of IDW, they had the GI Joe license when that movie came out.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 15, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heavy Metal posted:

I was referring to my opinions, since I was reviewing it.

I wasn't posting the graph seriously, I thought it was hilarious that anyone took the time to plot out all those RT scores. I'd hate to think that anyone would actually try and bring up that graph as some way of ending an argument.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Tobey Maguire and Kristen Dunst are definitely my pick for worst couple. Their complete lack of chemistry combined with the big focus their relationship has in the movies make them a pain to watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I wasn't posting the graph seriously, I thought it was hilarious that anyone took the time to plot out all those RT scores. I'd hate to think that anyone would actually try and bring up that graph as some way of ending an argument.

Wouldn't be that hard to do if you could pull the data directly from an API or whatever.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crion posted:

Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are perfectly fine. Christian Bale and Katie Holmes, on the other hand,

Well, Rachel kept brushing him off for the entire movie and didn't like him, so that makes sense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wouldn't be that hard to do if you could pull the data directly from an API or whatever.

Don't kid yourself, some schmuck did that by hand, data point by data point, browser tab per movie.

Darko posted:

Well, Rachel kept brushing him off for the entire movie and didn't like him, so that makes sense.

Bruce was such a goober in that movie.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

MacheteZombie posted:

Bruce was such a goober in that movie.

"I...I am....I am more."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

She was awfully judgmental in that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jimbot posted:

She was awfully judgmental in that movie.

She was 100% right.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Crion posted:

Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are perfectly fine. Christian Bale and Katie Holmes, on the other hand,

It's all in the framing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSe6tvfedb0

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ah right on. Maybe that data could be used in a CAD program to make a Marvel/DC movie shaped cookie or something cool like that.

That commercial is magical.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Why is it every time I hope one of y'all is posting the "I can't believe this is a commercial for a Batman movie" video, it's always ABC Family's commercial and not this one, literally produced by Warner Brothers to play on The WB and UPN:

https://youtu.be/y9NNIQ-F5lw

The different subtext of that "Batmobile through the waterfall" bit is some crazy poo poo on its own, that is some magical editing right there

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still blame everything about Rachel Dawes squarely on the Nolan Bros. You can tell because Maggie Gyllenhall is a better actress than Katie Holmes and still does worse in the role.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Rachel stuff carrying into Rises was the only part of it I found weird. The Dark Knight has Bruce totally despondent after she dies and he's unwilling to be Batman if it means other people get killed. Alfred is basically all "stiff upper lip, Master Bruce" and convinces him that Gotham has to make do with him and he has to soldier on. But then he's squarely back in extended mourning and isolation in Rises. Probably a more realistic depiction of grief so maybe I'm being too hard on it, it just seemed to run counter to how that development was resolved in The Dark Knight.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Cameo posted:

Why is it every time I hope one of y'all is posting the "I can't believe this is a commercial for a Batman movie" video, it's always ABC Family's commercial and not this one, literally produced by Warner Brothers to play on The WB and UPN:

https://youtu.be/y9NNIQ-F5lw

The different subtext of that "Batmobile through the waterfall" bit is some crazy poo poo on its own, that is some magical editing right there

I love that movie, but hot drat this TV spot, it is too much. I wonder if Nolan had final cut on that spot.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Rachel stuff carrying into Rises was the only part of it I found weird. The Dark Knight has Bruce totally despondent after she dies and he's unwilling to be Batman if it means other people get killed. Alfred is basically all "stiff upper lip, Master Bruce" and convinces him that Gotham has to make do with him and he has to soldier on. But then he's squarely back in extended mourning and isolation in Rises. Probably a more realistic depiction of grief so maybe I'm being too hard on it, it just seemed to run counter to how that development was resolved in The Dark Knight.

The impression I got was he was run down from being Batman for so many years without any success.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I love that movie, but hot drat this TV spot, it is too much. I wonder if Nolan had final cut on that spot.

Directors have almost nothing to do with the marketing, if my understanding is correct.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I thought it was culmination of everything. Rachel dying, Harvey getting turned, Bat's efforts only creating more problems, and so on.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

WampaLord posted:

Directors have almost nothing to do with the marketing, if my understanding is correct.

I was channeling my Leslie Nielsen in Airplane deadpan, but it is pretty great to imagine Chris Nolan sitting in front of a monitor working on the editing of that Nickelback romance commercial thingy.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The impression I got was he was run down from being Batman for so many years without any success.

It may have been that. He wasn't Batman for very long, as far as I could tell. A few months in Begins, an indeterminate amount of time between Begins and The Dark Knight, maybe a couple months in The Dark Knight and then the hiatus. The Dark Knight does seem to imply he's been active long enough to have frequent interactions with Gordon since "he often doesn't" show up when the signal is lit, and the signal is introduced at the end of Begins. All three movies together give me the impression that his career as Batman was like two years tops.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It may have been that. He wasn't Batman for very long, as far as I could tell. A few months in Begins, an indeterminate amount of time between Begins and The Dark Knight, maybe a couple months in The Dark Knight and then the hiatus. The Dark Knight does seem to imply he's been active long enough to have frequent interactions with Gordon since "he often doesn't" show up when the signal is lit, and the signal is introduced at the end of Begins. All three movies together give me the impression that his career as Batman was like two years tops.

The scene with Bruce at the doctor's office made it seem like he had built up years and years of injuries so I think by DKR he had been at it for a while.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
DKR states that it takes place 8 years later. Not sure if it is ever clear how long it is between Begins and TDK.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

DKR states that it takes place 8 years later. Not sure if it is ever clear how long it is between Begins and TDK.

Yeah, but wasn't DKR pretty clear that Bruce just Howard Hughes-ed it up in Wayne Manor for those 8 years, or did I forget a scene?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems to be very little time between Begins and TDK, given that they say at the very end of Begins that Joker has just shown up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, but wasn't DKR pretty clear that Bruce just Howard Hughes-ed it up in Wayne Manor for those 8 years, or did I forget a scene?

Sort of. They say that he gradually winded down his time as Batman over the years and let the police take over. He hasn't been doing any Batman-ing for a couple of years when DKR STARTS.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WampaLord posted:

They very rarely have anything to do with it unless they have enough pull to get something written into their contract. I've heard stories that the director on John Carter had a lot of pull in the ad campaign for that movie but he also shot scenes in such an order that not a lot of good stuff was sufficiently complete for the ads anyway, but on the other hand that might just be rumours spread by Disney peeps who wanted to throw him under a bus.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EDIT: Wrong thread.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They very rarely have anything to do with it unless they have enough pull to get something written into their contract. I've heard stories that the director on John Carter had a lot of pull in the ad campaign for that movie but he also shot scenes in such an order that not a lot of good stuff was sufficiently complete for the ads anyway, but on the other hand that might just be rumours spread by Disney peeps who wanted to throw him under a bus.

There's also the famous mistake Sony Pictures made of letting David Fincher have control of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ads, which immediately led to David having the photoshoot with Craig and Mara where she's topless and having that be the teaser poster for the movie.

They had to talk him down to sending the poster out with a sticker over the areola as to avoid people absolutely losing their poo poo.

Then he spent a chunk of change (on SPE's dime) on the music rights to "Immigrant Song", which at least got them an award-winning teaser trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

There's also the famous mistake Sony Pictures made of letting David Fincher have control of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ads, which immediately led to David having the photoshoot with Craig and Mara where she's topless and having that be the teaser poster for the movie.

I didn't like the book (or the movie, for that matter), but I remember this ad making me think it was going to be great.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sony might be the worst of the big name movie studios.

The best they can manage when they don't gently caress over their talent is mediocre

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
and Spider man 2

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Then he spent a chunk of change (on SPE's dime) on the music rights to "Immigrant Song", which at least got them an award-winning teaser trailer.

Fuckin' worth it, tbh

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I didn't like the book (or the movie, for that matter), but I remember this ad making me think it was going to be great.

Honestly, I'm pretty okay with the Fincher movie. The source material being lovely weighs it down, but they did the best they could regardless.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Look, if that's what he needed to do to make Gone Girl, I wish he'd just gone ahead and done the whole trilogy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

and Spider man 2

I specifically said when they don't gently caress over their talent. Spider-Man 1 and 2 were about the best things they've made in a while because Sam Raimi was allowed to be Sam Raimi.

Then Sony stepped in on Spider-Man 3 and down it went

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Fair enough, somehow missed that in your post.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good news, folks! Doctor Strange has been rated PG-13 for...

Latino Review posted:

...kaleidoscopic galactic intensity and other-dimensional psychotropic violence.

gently caress yeah.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Good news, folks! Doctor Strange has been rated PG-13 for...

gently caress yeah.

God drat it, and I was thinking about taking my son to see it. Kaleidoscopic galactic intensity way too mature for his age I think.

• Locked thread