Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Then the concept of female loses all meaning, doesn't it? If somebody can "choose" to be female, that's really just everyone saying that a spade is a shovel, isn't it? They still have a cock, balls, hairy chests, they do not have periods nor can they bear children. What exactly makes them female?
This goes back to the point above. You have a disagreement about the meaning of words, not about reality.
A word doesn't "lose all meaning" simply because it's used in a different context. The question of whether someone was born with two X chromosomes, ovaries, etc. can be answered by stating "I was born female" or "biologically, I'm female" or "I'm a cis female". Not that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
really what do you say to someone whose genes are 'XX/XXY?'

what does 'be yourself' mean in that context, referring to gender/sex?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just an aside, what happened to these people before the past few decades?

The Nice Guy thread pointed out that men who weren't able to socialize were either put into arranged marriages or the priesthood in the past so that their crippling social issues didn't really present. Now guys like that get fixated on sexual and interpersonal failure, but before I guess that wasn't really an issue since they would be married no matter what or go without sex entirely.

I think I read somewhere that lesbians, the developmentally challenged, or other women that couldn't be married off were often employed as church secretaries or supported their parents as the "spinster aunt". In traditional societies the church or community could usually find a way to take care of "quirky" people.

Did transpeople just crossdress? Drop out of society entirely to become sex workers?

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Oh, well that's an aberration, and then the entire argument goes back to one of naive biological essentialism.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

The Nice Guy thread pointed out that men who weren't able to socialize were either put into arranged marriages or the priesthood in the past so that their crippling social issues didn't really present. Now guys like that get fixated on sexual and interpersonal failure, but before I guess that wasn't really an issue since they would be married no matter what or go without sex entirely.

I think I read somewhere that lesbians, the developmentally challenged, or other women that couldn't be married off were often employed as church secretaries or supported their parents as the "spinster aunt". In traditional societies the church or community could usually find a way to take care of "quirky" people.

Did transpeople just crossdress? Drop out of society entirely to become sex workers?

There's tons of societies globally in which trans people are accepted and acknowledged as a 3rd gender, the United States and W. Europe is not the end all be all of everything.

Another reason the argument of 'but there's only two REAL ones' is kinda dumb really :shrug:

odds are in Europe people just didn't give a poo poo tbh but i'm not sure about that

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

Frosted Flake posted:

Get beaten to death for being suspected sodomites, become eunuchs, crossdress and try to pass as the opposite gender, or any of the things you've mentioned. It's hard to compare these things across cultures and time periods, though. The concept of "homosexuality" is a relatively young one in the West (laws often forbade sodomy, but this was typically conceived of as something one does, not something one is). "Trans-" is an even younger concept.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

Oh, well that's an aberration, and then the entire argument goes back to one of naive biological essentialism.

so say that genderfluid person they were just making fun of is one of those people?

should said person get poo poo for that or can we agree hey maybe we don't know this person's authentic inner self and we should just be cool?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I yearn for a time when peoples' sexual identity isn't a a defining part of their personality.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poetic Justice posted:

I yearn for a time when peoples' sexual identity isn't a a defining part of their personality.

same tbh this poo poo is all so loving dumb

the Culture had it right.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

that's fine but you gotta realize if you speak your mind 100% of the time without regard for the people around you you're prolly gonna get called a rude rear end in a top hat

I get called that anyway and I don't give a drat. I am going to erode my credibility here but I repulse people who are aggressively opinionated about the popular arguments. Not nessarily about this stuff. But I argue in my own self-interest and for what I think is the truth. The masses dislike that kind of thing.

The only thing I really dislike is the inhumane mechinism that dominates every aspect of our culture. People want to create little problems and in doing so they ignore the big one, which is that society is belittling and harming most people and treating them like tools. The ripple effect from this creates 100 more problems for every 1. If I could reshape it myself than it would all look different, there must be ways of living where everyone receives respect.

Not an advocation for communism. Ideology is part of the problem. We need respect for the big picture, instead every group is marginalized except for the few at the top of the pyramid, making GBS threads on everyone.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

It's almost like gender is a social construct with ultimately arbitrary definitions

But they aren't arbitrary, men are men and women are women. Everyone fundamentally knows this, a child knows this.

Aschlafly posted:

This goes back to the point above. You have a disagreement about the meaning of words, not about reality.
A word doesn't "lose all meaning" simply because it's used in a different context. The question of whether someone was born with two X chromosomes, ovaries, etc. can be answered by stating "I was born female" or "biologically, I'm female" or "I'm a cis female". Not that hard.

I'm saying, you can't just call a man a woman and then they become a woman. You want a society where homosexual sex is then classified as heterosexual sex solely because one of the men identifies as a woman. You're not talking about reality, you're literally talking about the meaning of words. If the definition of female is "whomsoever identifies as female" then...I mean, again, there's no point to the term, it no longer accurately describes a biological woman.

You can't just brush off biological sex as some sort of antiquated concept, it's precisely why these words exist in the first place.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

We need respect for the big picture, instead every group is marginalized except for the few at the top of the pyramid, making GBS threads on everyone.

I don't disagree with that but I think getting pissy about gender and trans stuff and what bathrooms they are allowed to use is exactly what plays into that.

My stance is who cares we are literally all meatbags. What defines us is our grey matter, not our outward appearance. What kind of person are you, who cares what you like to gently caress or whatever.

Thus when states like NC pass some weirdo anti-trans measures, I disagree with them.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You want a society where homosexual sex is then classified as heterosexual sex solely because one of the men identifies as a woman.

what's wrong with that though really?

I mean, really? What social pillars are going to come tumbling down if you can't ID who was a man or woman from birth or not instantly and easily?

I want a society where people just gently caress and don't care about telling other people how they should be loving or what labels they should use to describe said loving.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pn0JKmy5-M

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm against passing a law either way. Transmen and transwomen should be free to use whatever bathroom they see fit, unless doing so violates the wishes of the bathroom's owner. If some rear end in a top hat wants to expend the effort to gender check everyone who enters his bathrooms that sounds like his problem but it's also his property and we should respect his wishes however misguided they are.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm saying, you can't just call a man a woman and then they become a woman.
I agree that, if a person was born biologically female and asks that I call them a male, they don't magically grow testicles or develop an X chromosome. But no one thinks this, so this cannot be what the disagreement is about.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Moridin920 posted:

There's tons of societies globally in which trans people are accepted and acknowledged as a 3rd gender, the United States and W. Europe is not the end all be all of everything.

Another reason the argument of 'but there's only two REAL ones' is kinda dumb really. It's just stupid poo poo humans made up to group themselves and identify themselves :shrug:

odds are in Europe people just didn't give a poo poo tbh but i'm not sure about that

Oh sure. Usually as a religious role, as sex workers, or temple prostitutes which I suppose is a combination. That's different than total acceptance in everyday life though.

I mean, if Daire the Ploughman's son Finin had what we would clinically describe as Gender Dysmorphia, what would happen to him?

With Genderqueer, I'm not convinced that the concept isn't perpetuating itself since people who describe themselves as that usually come from Gender Studies, Womyn's Studies, Social Work or Psych and are already in LGB circles or other kinds of activism.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But they aren't arbitrary, men are men and women are women. Everyone fundamentally knows this, a child knows this.

I'm saying, you can't just call a man a woman and then they become a woman. You want a society where homosexual sex is then classified as heterosexual sex solely because one of the men identifies as a woman. You're not talking about reality, you're literally talking about the meaning of words. If the definition of female is "whomsoever identifies as female" then...I mean, again, there's no point to the term, it no longer accurately describes a biological woman.

You can't just brush off biological sex as some sort of antiquated concept, it's precisely why these words exist in the first place.

Also isn't this kinda the whole point of the new pronouns we were just poo poo talking not too long ago, the ones that had no purpose or meaning or anything?

we can create new words to describe new concepts in society to facilitate communication!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I'm against passing a law either way. Transmen and transwomen should be free to use whatever bathroom they see fit, unless doing so violates the wishes of the bathroom's owner. If some rear end in a top hat wants to expend the effort to gender check everyone who enters his bathrooms that sounds like his problem but it's also his property and we should respect his wishes however misguided they are.

I want to be a professional Gender Checker

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If the definition of female is "whomsoever identifies as female" then...I mean, again, there's no point to the term, it no longer accurately describes a biological woman.

Even if that's how we define "female", I can still inquire about someone's biological sex, or the state of their genitals, or their karyotype, or their ability to bear children, or whatever, in plain, unambiguous English, without introducing any bizarre new words or concepts. So what's the problem?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

what's wrong with that though really?

Why fight for gay rights, for the right for a man to love another man or vice versa for women, if you're ultimately going to just make everyone a "heterosexual" after all? Doesn't it invalidate THAT identity?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh sure. Usually as a religious role, as sex workers, or temple prostitutes which I suppose is a combination. That's different than total acceptance in everyday life though.

Maybe but I'm simply saying the concept definitely exists outside of the Eurocentric mindset many itt seem to have. It's not like things can't evolve and change anyway.

plus idk man I just googled it and that doesn't seem to be accurate anyway

quote:

References to a third sex can be found throughout the texts of India's three ancient spiritual traditions – Hinduism,[130] Jainism[131] and Buddhism[132] – and it can be inferred that Vedic culture recognised three genders. The Vedas (c. 1500 BC–500 BC) describe individuals as belonging to one of three categories, according to one's nature or prakrti. These are also spelled out in the Kama Sutra (c. 4th century AD) and elsewhere as pums-prakrti (male-nature), stri-prakrti (female-nature), and tritiya-prakrti (third-nature).[133] Texts suggest that third sex individuals were well known in premodern India and included male-bodied or female-bodied[134] people as well as intersexuals, and that they can often be recognised from childhood.

A third sex is discussed in ancient Hindu law, medicine, linguistics and astrology. The foundational work of Hindu law, the Manu Smriti (c. 200 BC–200 AD) explains the biological origins of the three sexes:

A male child is produced by a greater quantity of male seed, a female child by the prevalence of the female; if both are equal, a third-sex child or boy and girl twins are produced; if either are weak or deficient in quantity, a failure of conception results.[135]

seems like it's just a 3rd gender in India to me, in the Kama Sutra and everything

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
We should just have hot people bathrooms and goon bathrooms

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Why fight for gay rights, for the right for a man to love another man or vice versa for women, if you're ultimately going to just make everyone a "heterosexual" after all? Doesn't it invalidate THAT identity?

Well probably because not all gay men are going to also identify as women?

I think this is why some people in the LGB and Feminist movements didn't want Trans piggybacking on, it kind of muddles the water.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

I don't disagree with that but I think getting pissy about gender and trans stuff and what bathrooms they are allowed to use is exactly what plays into that.

My stance is who cares we are literally all meatbags. What defines us is our grey matter, not our outward appearance. What kind of person are you, who cares what you like to gently caress or whatever.

Thus when states like NC pass some weirdo anti-trans measures, I disagree with them.

I don't care but I believe the answer is a return to sanity and common sense.

I don't even believe it will happen. It is too late and we are very far down this road with little sign of doubt.

Republicans are dumb, liberals are dumb. I liked Applewhite's argument that bathroom segregation is a social convention. I once walked into the women's room by accident like a dumb rear end and I only got funny looks. I have used the women's room when it was a one toilet affair and the fuckhead in the men's room needed to wipe his rear end or stick his dick up the blowdryer for 20 minutes.

The answer is to suss it out in context and use common sense. Nobody needs to get up in arms, the police barely need to be involved in anything. The issues have been brought up, school funding being withheld being principal among them. These are the same dirty tricks Republicans use. They are the same. People nowadays need a swift and hard kick in the rear end so we remember what dirt, sky and water mean to us and what the problem is.

Humanity should be more easy going. This escapes the scope of this issue but this issue is the same problem that creates every other problem.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

That's a very enlightened attitude. I agree. You shouldn't care.

But you know what, some people, a lot of people do care and even if I think it's not important, I think it's important that they be allowed to care and live their lives in a way that makes them comfortable too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I fight for all oppressed peoples. All struggles are ultimately the same struggle against the domination of the elite few that rule.

That's how I can be pro-Palestinian in the Israel/Palestine scuffle and also at the same time say Palestinians are stupid for having honor killings be a thing.

Also gay people are still loving dudes whatever the societal label is, no one's identity is invalidated. Also you're not accounting for new words that can be created (like those pronouns that were disparaged on the other page)! We don't need to constantly rehash and redefine old ones.

Applewhite posted:

That's a very enlightened attitude. I agree. You shouldn't care.

But you know what, some people, a lot of people do care and even if I think it's not important, I think it's important that they be allowed to care and live their lives in a way that makes them comfortable too.

that's fine but they shouldn't infringe on other people in order to do so. That's the mentality that enables multi-culturalism's excesses imo.

It's like yeah, all cultures are important and have the right to exist and whatever but if your culture thinks other cultures should be destroyed then maybe yours sucks actually. It's not racist to say genital mutilation is awful and it isn't bad to say people who want to make others unhappy so they can be more comfortable are dicks.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 15, 2016

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

a dog from hell posted:

I don't care but I believe the answer is a return to sanity and common sense.

I'm guessing there's a great deal of overlap between "common sense" and "the things that I, poster 'a dog from hell', personally believe to be true".

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

I'm guessing there's a great deal of overlap between "common sense" and "the things that I, poster 'a dog from hell', personally believe to be true".

I don't have many beliefs. Common sense is finding the simplest answer to a problem. Nobody does this.

You are speculating now and I don't know why you bothered posting.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A child can understand boys and girls but it takes a degree in Womyn's Studies to learn about Genderqueer, so I'm guessing one is more common than the other.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

Even if that's how we define "female", I can still inquire about someone's biological sex, or the state of their genitals, or their karyotype, or their ability to bear children, or whatever, in plain, unambiguous English, without introducing any bizarre new words or concepts. So what's the problem?

If you truly think biological sex has no bearing on anything but aesthetics, are you saying a heterosexual man should be sexually attracted to both women and transwomen? Is there no distinction in whom you are sexually attracted to? Do you have no gender preference? If so, do you not think that colors your perspective slightly on this issue?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
The irony here is that the problem is believing your way is better than the other person's way. If you eliminated that fundamentally then there wouldn't be any of these problems.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

Frosted Flake posted:

A child can understand boys and girls but it takes a degree in Womyn's Studies to learn about Genderqueer, so I'm guessing one is more common than the other.
That's pretty much a find-replace of an argument creationists use against evolutionary theory. Hell, why bother studying anything, ever?

My point is that "common sense" evolves with time. Women being subservient to their husbands was once "common sense". Today it is not. I'm guessing when most people say "common sense", they're using it as shorthand for "the things I think are common sense". Personally I think it's "common sense" that respecting people's pronoun wishes won't cause the downfall of Western civilization or the degeneration of the English language into grunts and gestures. YMMV.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

That's pretty much a find-replace of an argument creationists use against evolutionary theory. Hell, why bother studying anything, ever?

My point is that "common sense" evolves with time. Women being subservient to their husbands was once "common sense". Today it is not. I'm guessing when you say "common sense", you're using it as shorthand for "the things I think are common sense". Personally I think it's "common sense" that respecting people's pronoun wishes won't cause the downfall of Western civilization or the degeneration of the English language into grunts and gestures. YMMV.

You are muddying the waters. I defined common sense as I meant it, which is finding the easiest solution to a problem. You are misconstruing me to have meant social convention or persuasion by force. Check.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you truly think biological sex has no bearing on anything but aesthetics,
I've never said that.

quote:

are you saying a heterosexual man should be sexually attracted to both women and transwomen?
Do transwomen get tattoos on their foreheads stating that they are, in fact, trans? I don't understand your question. People are attracted to whomever they're attracted to.

quote:

Is there no distinction in whom you are sexually attracted to? Do you have no gender preference? If so, do you not think that colors your perspective slightly on this issue?
I like traditionally feminine characteristics and am not a fan of penises. I also don't mind short hair, muscles, or hairy armpits. Who cares? My only "reservation" about being with a trans woman would be the inability to conceive children and the possibility that PIV sex might not be very satisfying for her.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

a dog from hell posted:

You are muddying the waters. I defined common sense as I meant it, which is finding the easiest solution to a problem. You are misconstruing me to have meant social convention or persuasion by force. Check.
I feel like "don't be a dick to people when they ask you to use certain pronouns" is pretty easy, but I guess we have different conceptions of what constitutes "easy".

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I want that pretty lady to put her big dick in my butt

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

I like traditionally feminine characteristics and am not a fan of penises. I also don't mind short hair, muscles, or hairy armpits. Who cares? My only "reservation" about being with a trans woman would be the inability to conceive children and the possibility that PIV sex might not be very satisfying for her.

Lol. Strange territory, folks. How to act?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

Is that really gonna be your argument dog

cuz a child understands 'drop the ball it goes down' but that doesn't mean Newtonian physics is more accurate than quantum physics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

that's fine but they shouldn't infringe on other people in order to do so. That's the mentality that enables multi-culturalism's excesses imo..

Well who's infringing on whom here? Why is it "infringing" to want males and females to use the bathrooms 99.9% of the population agrees to use, but it's not infringing to barge into a space explicitly designated to exclude you just because you feel like you belong there and that exclusion isn't fair?

This is a ladies' room. It's for ladies. It may very well be that when you look at the big picture and gender theory and social psychology that "lady" is a poorly defined term and that you have as much right to be called a lady as anyone else, but the vast bulk of the population has no idea about any of that and most of them wouldn't believe it if they did. You being there is seen as a violation of their privacy.
Moreover you know that being there will upset them, but you deliberately go in anyway because their feelings aren't important.

How does the old argument for pronoun respect go? It costs you no effort to be polite so you might as well do the thing that makes the other person happy and comfortable?

Well it costs a non-passing transgender no effort to be polite and use the bathroom other people expect them to use.

• Locked thread