Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i blame online RPGs. what did we expect to happen when a boy spends 10 hours a day of his entire childhood as a sexy elf woman? we need to do away with these online games and return to raising our kids on nothing but traditional television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If you, as a person who has no real ability to definitely state whether someone is a man, woman, or in between, is telling strangers what toilet they can or can't piss in then you're being a fuckhead.

Again, your argument doesn't account for people who are NOT trans but are misidentified as such or people who have some other kind of medical issue or whatever. Or just feminine looking dudes, or masculine looking women, or whatever.

The onus is not on the a person to figure out what bathroom you want them to use, the onus is on you to stop obsessing about other people's gender so much and just drink your drink at the bar or whatever.

e: you here meaning the general 'you' not you Applewhite specifically

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

I feel like "don't be a dick to people when they ask you to use certain pronouns" is pretty easy, but I guess we have different conceptions of what constitutes "easy".

Ah poo poo. I don't care. At least moridin interested me. You suck off any dick you like, whether the bearer is male or female.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

a dog from hell posted:

Lol. Strange territory, folks. How to act?
Man if you're intimidated by muscles on a girl, get in the squat rack and buy some gallons of milk

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applewhite posted:

Well who's infringing on whom here? Why is it "infringing" to want males and females to use the bathrooms 99.9% of the population agrees to use, but it's not infringing to barge into a space explicitly designated to exclude you just because you feel like you belong there and that exclusion isn't fair?

This is a ladies' room. It's for ladies. It may very well be that when you look at the big picture and gender theory and social psychology that "lady" is a poorly defined term and that you have as much right to be called a lady as anyone else, but the vast bulk of the population has no idea about any of that and most of them wouldn't believe it if they did. You being there is seen as a violation of their privacy.
Moreover you know that being there will upset them, but you deliberately go in anyway because their feelings aren't important.

How does the old argument for pronoun respect go? It costs you no effort to be polite so you might as well do the thing that makes the other person happy and comfortable?

Well it costs a non-passing transgender no effort to be polite and use the bathroom other people expect them to use.

Bathroom labeling is a challenge, not an exclusion. They built a time machine and made gender separated bathrooms because they knew it would piss MRAs off and lead to their downfall, ushering in the dawning of the age of Aquarius, unisex bathrooms, and calorie free alcohol. :mrapig:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

Do transwomen get tattoos on their foreheads stating that they are, in fact, trans? I don't understand your question. People are attracted to whomever they're attracted to.

Well you seem to think that we can create a society where sex doesn't matter. I was curious as to whether it mattered for you. Again, you have this theoretical society that has no bearing on reality. You're not going to be able to convince a straight man that another man is a woman. That's why the stereotype of trans people is that they prey upon very drunk men who can't tell the difference until they're balls deep, but even then, that's hardly a good basis for a relationship, isn't it?

Have you seen Priscilla Queen of the Desert? Out of curiosity, what do you think of the main character's arc, that is that he has to accept responsibility as a father, and become a part of his son's life, despite fleeing those responsibilities and hiding behind a stage persona?

Applewhite posted:

Well who's infringing on whom here? Why is it "infringing" to want males and females to use the bathrooms 99.9% of the population agrees to use, but it's not infringing to barge into a space explicitly designated to exclude you just because you feel like you belong there and that exclusion isn't fair?

This is a ladies' room. It's for ladies. It may very well be that when you look at the big picture and gender theory and social psychology that "lady" is a poorly defined term and that you have as much right to be called a lady as anyone else, but the vast bulk of the population has no idea about any of that and most of them wouldn't believe it if they did. You being there is seen as a violation of their privacy.
Moreover you know that being there will upset them, but you deliberately go in anyway because their feelings aren't important.

How does the old argument for pronoun respect go? It costs you no effort to be polite so you might as well do the thing that makes the other person happy and comfortable?

Well it costs a non-passing transgender no effort to be polite and use the bathroom other people expect them to use.

This, is also a very good point. It seems to me that the accomodations for a very small minority create incredible complications for the vast majority, and I do not see why this is prudent or ideal, particularly if the only goal is to validate the gender identity of strangers.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

Man if you're intimidated by muscles on a girl, get in the squat rack and buy some gallons of milk

I'm not intimidated, I find it unattractive. I am lightweight but mostly muscular. I am working on it though frankly I have more respect for being a bit fat. It has a wholesomeness to it.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
We're all gonna be obsessing over whether or not grown men with inverted penis-vaginas should be able to poo poo in the ladies room at target when some insane mullah decides to nuke us.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This, is also a very good point. It seems to me that the accomodations for a very small minority create incredible complications for the vast majority, and I do not see why this is prudent or ideal, particularly if the only goal is to validate the gender identity of strangers.

eh kinda dangerously close to 'it makes whites uncomfortable to eat around blacks so segregation isn't oppressing black people it's just protecting white people's rights to not be uncomfortable.'

I mean look, show me some actual harm that results from letting people pee wherever. Getting upset or discomforted isn't really a good enough basis to deny people's identity.

Plus there's only discomfort and whatever because it's something new and scary, in 100 years no one will care.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
My real life speech is like a pot head stoner surfer and I call everyone "man" and "dude" and I like to passively aggressively call women "dudes" all the time. For ex: the sexy girl cashier at starbucks that makes 30% less than men when she gives me my drinks "Hey thanks man!" "Have a great day dude!" and i chuckle to myself evily.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Secular Humanist posted:

We're all gonna be obsessing over whether or not grown men with inverted penis-vaginas should be able to poo poo in the ladies room at target when some insane mullah decides to nuke us.

I don't think you're a humanist at all.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poetic Justice posted:

My real life speech is like a pot head stoner surfer and I call everyone "man" and "dude" and I like to passively aggressively call women "dudes" all the time. For ex: the sexy girl cashier at starbucks that makes 30% less than men when she gives me my drinks "Hey thanks man!" "Have a great day dude!" and i chuckle to myself evily.

I call everyone dude because I'm horrible at remembering names.

Around these parts it's not even a gendered word anymore, although I do get some out of towners who go 'I'm not a dude!'

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

a dog from hell posted:

I'm not intimidated, I find it unattractive. I am lightweight but mostly muscular. I am working on it though frankly I have more respect for being a bit fat. It has a wholesomeness to it.

lol "wholesomeness"

Basically, as far as I can tell, your entire argument amounts to "I don't like things I personally feel are gross" and this only further confirms it. We're all weirded out by some things, but don't make the mistake of thinking "weird" means "wrong". Probably don't worry about crushing on trans women, either. Statistically speaking, you've probably found a trans woman attractive without even realizing she was trans.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Poetic Justice posted:

Umm Starbucks pays minimum wage, so everyone is equal. Honestly, are you retarded or just another ignorant white collar?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

a dog from hell posted:

I don't think you're a humanist at all.

Lol

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

lol "wholesomeness"

Basically, as far as I can tell, your entire argument amounts to "I don't like things I personally feel are gross" and this only further confirms it. Probably don't worry about crushing on trans women, either. Statistically speaking, you've probably found a trans woman attractive without even realizing she was trans.

If I found a trans woman attractive I would not mind. Sex is the result of attraction. I find men to be good looking all the time I just don't want to gently caress them. I am liberated, you see.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5b2hADJXWQ
drat its a good day to be a white dude

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 15, 2016

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Not for me. I am very poor and all the gals are feminists so they go with black dudes or other girls.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just think it's great that women at least can admit they poop in modern society. Can you imagine before women's bathrooms? We have this modern adaptation of a waste bag called a "purse" :airquote: which is where women used to have to defecate. They wore skirts so they could simply purge wherever they were, while pants wearing men had to poo poo in a private room. We've at least come this far, let's not usher in a women's uprising by letting men cut their dicks off just to get a peek at their snatch. :tinfoil:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

If you, as a person who has no real ability to definitely state whether someone is a man, woman, or in between, is telling strangers what toilet they can or can't piss in, you're being a fuckhead.

Again, your argument doesn't account for people who are NOT trans but are misidentified as such or people who have some other kind of medical issue or whatever. Or just feminine looking dudes, or masculine looking women, or whatever.

The onus is not on the trans person to figure out what bathroom you want them to use, the onus is on you to stop obsessing about other people's gender so much and just drink your drink at the bar or whatever.

Yeah well there's a lot of fuckheads out there. Being a fuckhead isn't illegal, nor should it be.

I don't agree with any property owner who decides to enforce gendered bathrooms so I also don't agree with when he enforces it mistakenly. It's a moot point.

I do, however, believe that he should be free to enforce such rules on his own property if he wishes to expend the time and effort to do so. I consider the unfair enforcement of those policies on the undeserving to be collateral damage that person is just going to have to deal with. He's under social pressure, too.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

a dog from hell posted:

Umm Starbucks pays minimum wage, so everyone is equal. Honestly, are you retarded or just another ignorant white collar?

Bro, you need to chillax and hangten

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
trannys should just pee before leaving the house like i do

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Poetic Justice posted:

Bro, you need to chillax and hangten

I am chill as gently caress you just don't like my tone lol

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well you seem to think that we can create a society where sex doesn't matter. I was curious as to whether it mattered for you.
Sex will obviously continue to matter for some things, e.g., the biological differences between cis men and women. I haven't really said much about sex, though. The issue is gender, not sex.

quote:

Again, you have this theoretical society that has no bearing on reality. You're not going to be able to convince a straight man that another man is a woman.
Why would I have to? Trans women are out there in the world, not hiding in dungeons with goblins and liches. You've probably crushed on one (you might've even slept with one, GASP) without realizing she was trans. Oh the horror!

quote:

That's why the stereotype of trans people is that they prey upon very drunk men who can't tell the difference until they're balls deep, but even then, that's hardly a good basis for a relationship, isn't it?
I've never heard of this stereotype but goddamn does it sound hateful.

quote:

Have you seen Priscilla Queen of the Desert? Out of curiosity, what do you think of the main character's arc, that is that he has to accept responsibility as a father, and become a part of his son's life, despite fleeing those responsibilities and hiding behind a stage persona?
Never seen it. My grandpa, who's pretty conservative, thought it was hilarious, though.

quote:

The whole point of having a society that respects individual (read: minority) rights is to allow the minority to avoid being crushed by mob rule.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Cause the way I’m livin life, is a muthafuckin joy
On some grown man B.I.
I could have been a girl
Or any ethnicity up in the world
But I’m rollin with the top back
I ain’t gotta worry where the cops at
I ain’t gotta wear a loving bra strap
Me and the crew
Are really doing everything that we like to
Man it’s a drat good day to be a white dude

it's p great

quote:

Which is like, amazing because
Everybody naturally assumes I’m a great person

also that's so loving true it's astounding lmao

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

eh kinda dangerously close to 'it makes whites uncomfortable to eat around blacks so segregation isn't oppressing black people it's just protecting white people's rights to not be uncomfortable.'

Only if you stretch logic and try constantly to define trans rights as a civil rights issue, and until you are willing to state that you believe gender choice is a natural born human right, I fail to see why it should be defined as such.

Nobody is oppressing trans people--but nobody is saying that it's totally normal and fine for a man to wear women's clothing and go about town insisting to be called a woman either. Not validating an identity is not oppression, and you keep making this false equivalency.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
also applewhite is right if you would actually understand his point morodoin/evyerone else

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Come on, guys. Let's just relax and shitpost for a bit, we've all been through the wringer.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

Applewhite posted:

Yeah well there's a lot of fuckheads out there. Being a fuckhead isn't illegal, nor should it be.

I don't agree with any property owner who decides to enforce gendered bathrooms so I also don't agree with when he enforces it mistakenly. It's a moot point.

I do, however, believe that he should be free to enforce such rules on his own property if he wishes to expend the time and effort to do so. I consider the unfair enforcement of those policies on the undeserving to be collateral damage that person is just going to have to deal with. He's under social pressure, too.
Property owners who attempted to maintain racial segregation were under social pressure, too. They were on the wrong side of history.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

it's p great

also that's so loving true it's astounding lmao

I never wake up and have to cake on ma make up
Or straighten hair, I ain't given a drat
I'm wearing whatever I wanna in this muthafucka
They up in heels
And tummy tuckin, theyon't grub except for takin them pills, foreal...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nobody is oppressing trans people--but nobody is saying that it's totally normal and fine for a man to wear women's clothing and go about town insisting to be called a woman either. Not validating an identity is not oppression, and you keep making this false equivalency.

You keep acting like North Carolina didn't pass a law saying municipalities can't have anti-discrimination laws of their own because trans people are bad which imo has to be some kind of something.

And that's just 1 state among a few passing idiot laws.

I mean dude how is it NOT oppressive to not validate an identity? You're literally denying that person the right to self determine their sense of self that's like the definition of dehumanizing.

You're sitting there going 'no actually I have all the truths here and you're just wrong and mentally ill' and denying them their very identity and saying it isn't oppressive come on man.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 15, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean jesus just getting called a lovely nickname you hate in grade school is bad enough I can't imagine everyone around me literally telling me I'm not what I think I am nonstop all day even into adulthood and working to strip me of my identity and that's why I get treated worse than others. That absolutely is loving oppressive. poo poo I get people telling me I'm not white (even though I'm pretty sure I am!) and that's insulting enough.

I mean poo poo dude when did SA become the foremost authority on developmental psychology that you guys can sit there making these sweeping statements like you know really anything about anything at the end of the day?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 15, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

Why would I have to? Trans women are out there in the world, not hiding in dungeons with goblins and liches. You've probably crushed on one (you might've even slept with one, GASP) without realizing she was trans. Oh the horror!

Lol, no, I'm extremely confident I haven't.

Moridin920 posted:

I mean dude how is it NOT oppressive to not validate an identity? You're literally denying that person the right to self determine their self of self that's like the definition of dehumanizing.

I identify as Napoleon Bonaparte. By not validating my identity and giving me command of the French military, you are oppressing me.

I want you to read that bolded statement several times and then tell me that you actually have any loving clue what you are trying to say. You're being extremely dense about this; it is not the role of government to validate people's feelings, in most cases, and it certainly isn't its role in this case. Validating trans people is not even tried and true to be a good thing, medical science still hasn't concluded whether validating their feelings of dysphoria even helps treat the malaise.

Also NC attempted to pass a law that stated you have to use the bathroom that matches the gender on your birth certificate, something that you can change if you want. That's a very big distinction.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I mean look, show me some actual harm that results from letting people pee wherever. Getting upset or discomforted isn't really a good enough basis to deny people's identity..

Show me some actual harm that results from using the bathroom appropriate to your sex that you know society wants you to use and there'll be no trouble if you just play along.

This isn't Rosa Parks sitting at the front of the bus. The whole segregation issue wasn't about comfort as much as it was about power. Making Blacks sit in the back had everything to do with dominating them and reminding them every day that they were socially inferior to whites.

Gendered bathrooms have nothing to do with power or domination. They're a self imposed social convention created for the mutual comfort and privacy of both sexes. They weren't created to dominate or diminish transgender persons. Breaking down the gendered bathroom barrier isn't an upward blow for transgender freedom it's just pissing everyone off for the sake of being the center of attention.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Aschlafly posted:

Property owners who attempted to maintain racial segregation were under social pressure, too. They were on the wrong side of history.

Well maybe property owners who attempt to maintain bathroom separation are on the wrong side of history, too. If that's the case then you don't need to do anything but sit back and watch.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Lol, no, I'm extremely confident I haven't.

I identify as Napoleon Bonaparte. By not validating my identity and giving me command of the French military, you are oppressing me.

okay now THAT is a false equivalency lmao

self actualizing your identity is not demanding everyone else follow your orders guy. Also, Napoleon Bonaparte was an actual person from history obv you can't be Napoleon.

and NC passed a law preventing municipalities from enacting their own anti-discrimination laws you need to take a moment to google things if you want a serious discussion or I'm going to quickly go back into honk honk mode

But hey guess what, even if someone did have a mental disorder making them think they were Napoleon, telling them they aren't over and over and over isn't going to do anything.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

You're sitting there going 'no actually I have all the truths here and you're just wrong and mentally ill' and denying them their very identity and saying it isn't oppressive come on man.

What falsehood have I stated? Gender dysphoria is a mental illness currently, that's the medical definition. If a man says that he's a woman, how is that somehow less crazy than a man saying he's actually a dog?

Out of curiosity, what's your stance on otherkin?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Moridin920 posted:

I mean dude how is it NOT oppressive to not validate an identity? You're literally denying that person the right to self determine their sense of self that's like the definition of dehumanizing.

So you're saying it would be oppressive for someone with a mobility impairment to say to someone who identifies as wheelchair-bound, without accompanying medical or psychological impairment, that the latter does not have a mobility impairment disability?

Because taken at face value, that is what you are saying.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVEeZ7jjHyA

I mean, do feminist get that dudes have to deal with poo poo too?

Lil Dicky does a great job explain this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGiulPm3IU

poo poo, another video drat this kid is a murderous bitch

• Locked thread