Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What falsehood have I stated? Gender dysphoria is a mental illness currently, that's the medical definition. If a man says that he's a woman, how is that somehow less crazy than a man saying he's actually a dog?

Out of curiosity, what's your stance on otherkin?

Once upon a time a woman having an orgasm was a mental/medical disorder as well.

also it's less crazy because men can be born with XX chromosome mosiacism and present as very feminine but obviously a human can't be born as a dog.

Tallgeese posted:

So you're saying it would be oppressive for someone with a mobility impairment to say to someone who identifies as wheelchair-bound, without accompanying medical or psychological impairment, that the latter does not have a mobility impairment disability?

Because taken at face value, that is what you are saying.

Why don't you not take it at face value and let it roll around your head for a bit. How is someone going to just be able to visually identity what you feel on the inside? That's wildly different from an obvious physical impairment.

And tbh lol you're just wrong again because dude without accompanying medical or psych impairment ACCORDING TO WHO? Do people in wheelchairs need to have their documentation ready for you to inspect at all times? There's TONS of things that can't be visually identified that would require someone to use a wheelchair.

Hell they could say 'my spine is broken' and you'd have 0 way to verify that outside of a hospital setting (or maybe physically assaulting them to see if they have feeling in their legs) and yeah dude, you don't get to tell the wheelchair person they don't really need it cuz you don't see an injury whether or not you are in a wheelchair yourself.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Also NC attempted to pass a law that stated you have to use the bathroom that matches the gender on your birth certificate, something that you can change if you want. That's a very big distinction.

Merely theoretically being able to change a characteristic doesn't mean it isn't protected, or else "no Muslims allowed" would be A-OK (religion is mutable).

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just had a stroke

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's what your attitudes result in:

quote:

The Dutch sprinter Foekje Dillema was expelled from the 1950 national team after she refused a mandatory sex test in July 1950; later investigations revealed a Y-chromosome in her body cells, and the analysis showed that she probably was a 46,XX/46,XY mosaic female.[14]

ooooh she can't REALLY be a woman she's too uggo and too fast gotta somehow be a tranny CHEAT

nah actually she just had mosiacism and you kicked an athlete for lovely reasons good job

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Haven't there been XY female Olympic athletes with nonfunctional SRY genes, too? Gosh, it's almost as though biology is really messy and there are innumerable genetic and developmental contingencies that can muddy the "clear" waters of binary sex.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dad gay. so what posted:

I just had a stroke

what';s going to finish you off first, your high cholesterol or your suicidal tendencies?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

what';s going to finish you off first, your high cholesterol or your suicidal tendencies?

because i want to sponsor whichever of those things is going to get the job done

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

ooooh she can't REALLY be a woman she's too uggo and too fast gotta somehow be a tranny CHEAT

nah actually she just had mosiacism and you kicked an athlete for lovely reasons good job

This is from 50 years ago, why on earth is it relevant based on modern science and knowledge? You're being silly. You've defined oppression so broadly that literally just saying "you're wrong" could be taken as not validating your identity and thus dehumanizing you. It's absurd.

Moridin920 posted:

Once upon a time a woman having an orgasm was a mental/medical disorder as well.

also it's less crazy because men can be born with XX chromosome mosiacism and present as very feminine but obviously a human can't be born as a dog.

Actually, feminine hysteria was thought to be treated WITH orgasms, hours upon hours of doctor-assisted fingerbangs.

And look, I'm sure there are tons of weird medical conditions that can obscure or alter perceived norms about gender--like a woman could get that weird disease that gives you super muscles that will poo poo your colon out after thirty years.

That's a medical problem though, that must/should be cured and treated. It's not a perfectly healthy gender identity.

Since you refuse to answer the question of rights, then how about this: is somebody with gender dysphoria "healthy"? Is wanting to be the opposite gender as your birth one a normal state of being, and if so, why?

Aschlafly posted:

Merely theoretically being able to change a characteristic doesn't mean it isn't protected, or else "no Muslims allowed" would be A-OK (religion is mutable).

It's not theoretical, you can absolutely do it. I think it costs a little money? I do not think gender identity is quite equivalent to religion, outside of both being things you can choose later in life.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ima go fap to trans women and you can't stop me

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

dad gay. so what posted:

I just had a stroke

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I woman wants to strap on a dildo and ram me up the rear end for equal rights, I would do it. I would do it for equality, and politics. If it would put the world at peace, if it would stop the women's uprising and the looming femmewars, I would do it. I would do it with no lube. :staredog:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's a medical problem though, that must/should be cured and treated. It's not a perfectly healthy gender identity.

you don't really 'treat' chimaerism. some people are even born with both sets of genitals and the doctor is all 'welp do you want a boy or a girl?' like that House episode. But they're not monsters or disease ridden, they just have a different genetic makeup. How are you gonna say an Olympic athlete is unhealthy lol.

poo poo simply is not as clear cut and defined as you are making it out to be, and coupled with 3rd gender being an accepted normal thing for hundreds of years (or thousands in some instances) in other societies this whole argument seems extremely eurocentric and smug tbh

You haven't even addressed feminine looking men and masculine looking women now being told to use 'the right bathroom' which will absolutely happen (and has happened already).

You, a stranger, simply cannot determine what people really are so it isn't for you to say what bathroom they can really use. Period. The entirety of the argument being made seems to be 'well I don't like it' and that's fine but it's no basis for any kind of rational policy. Being personally uncomfortable is not good enough to justify changes to the legal code that impact the lives of other people.

e: aight now I'm really gonna go jerk the hog

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 15, 2016

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Why are internet feminists so obsessed with trannys? And don't tell me it's because they're concerned with this pressing social issue; these dudes are like 0.001% of the population and usually homeless non-voting, non-tax paying mental cases who kill themselves in droves anyway. Why not work on getting prostitution decriminalized or ending literal sex slavery or getting more women into Sanitation Engineering (a very male-dominated profession!!)?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

e: aight now I'm really gonna go jerk the hog

Have fun. I've got some tips for making it better but don't feel comfortable sharing them here. PM me.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
I still don't get why bathroom usage is the cross on which these biological essentialists have chosen to die. Bathroom use is inherently a social construct.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paco650 posted:

Why not work on getting prostitution decriminalized or ending literal sex slavery or getting more women into Sanitation Engineering (a very male-dominated profession!!)?

Because no one really argues against those things thus they aren't a point of contention

although I did argue that first one in a thread last week! people weren't liking it because 'hookers are degenerates only doing it for iPhone money and they can just get a different job if they don't like it so much.' heh

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's not theoretical, you can absolutely do it. I think it costs a little money? I do not think gender identity is quite equivalent to religion, outside of both being things you can choose later in life.
It is theoretical. I can't will myself to "feel" female.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Aschlafly posted:

I still don't get why bathroom usage is the cross on which these biological essentialists have chosen to die. Bathroom use is inherently a social construct.

You are all on the cross and don't know it. White males sacrificing themselves. Let me know what heaven feels like.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Hello I was born with XX/Y chromosome but I can just bootstrap my way into XY according to GBS."

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Because no one really argues against those things thus they aren't a point of contention

although I did argue that first one in a thread last week! people weren't liking it because 'hookers are degenerates only doing it for iPhone money and they can just get a different job if they don't like it so much.' heh

But that's wrong. Hookers are degenerates only doing it for coke money.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

It is theoretical. I can't will myself to "feel" female.

You're not really making a strong case that these aren't simply mental delusions. A person may "feel" they are a dog, a cat, Walter Cronkite, or as a woman. The only reason that trans identity isn't similarly dismissed is because we can, theoretically, use surgery and hormones to give somebody the basic appearance of the sex of their choice.

But even if we can do it, should we?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
feminism means u have to show me your peener, but in a nonthreatening way like draw a little shirt and tie on it so it makes me smile instead. bitches love smiling

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uh huh.

And if they tell you they don't actually have a medical impairment, or if you knew in advance they didn't through a reliable source? Just asking.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

Uh huh.

And if they tell you they don't actually have a medical impairment, or if you knew in advance they didn't through a reliable source? Just asking.

Then you roll your eyes and go whatever and move on with your day because they're not hurting anyone are they and if they want to be in a wheelchair then this is America and that's their fuckin' right.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But even if we can do it, should we?

honestly? as long as I don't have to pay for it go hog wild. Some people have legit issues but I think you're really trying to conflate all trans people with personality disorder people and it's silly.

some trans people are mentally ill, doesn't mean all are

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

honestly? as long as I don't have to pay for it go hog wild.

But you do have to pay for it, the VA has sexual reassignment surgery on the docket. In fact, you will get fast tracked for it, as opposed to having cancer treatments, where there's lengthy waiting lists.

EDIT: Stop double posting so much you fuckman

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
once again if you want to plastic surgery a donkey dick onto your forehead I really couldn't give a poo poo, that's your right

if there's any fundamental right it's the right to determine what we do to our own selves

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But you do have to pay for it, the VA has sexual reassignment surgery on the docket. In fact, you will get fast tracked for it, as opposed to having cancer treatments, where there's lengthy waiting lists.

and I hope Psyopmonkey is happy but yeah if the VA was going to pay to turn someone into a dog I might have an issue with that and say 'they should really go out of pocket for that.' Lemme know when it's a thing I guess.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you're the type of people who are going to prevent me from self actualizing as a cybernetic organism aren't you

listen if I want to get aug'd up on my own dime that's none of your goddamn business

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Lol that reminds me of my schizophrenic friend who, to this day, insists he is just fine and that the voices in his head are just other people's thoughts and he must be psychic, but at the same time everyone else can read his thoughts so he just lets loose long, scatological streams of verbal garbage to confuse people/quiet the voices. Sometimes he gets really depressed and disappears for a few days to go score meth in the city and he'll come back and be totally unreachable for a few days. He's not very smart and he's terrible with money and he has a felony and a few misdemeanors on his record. Also he wants to cut out his tongue sometimes. But nah, he's not mentally ill, this is his choice!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paco650 posted:

Lol that reminds me of my schizophrenic friend who, to this day, insists he is just fine and that the voices in his head are just other people's thoughts and he must be psychic, but at the same time everyone else can read his thoughts so he just lets loose long, scatological streams of verbal garbage to confuse people/quiet the voices. Sometimes he gets really depressed and disappears for a few days to go score meth in the city and he'll come back and be totally unreachable for a few days. He's not very smart and he's terrible with money and he has a felony and a few misdemeanors on his record. Also he wants to cut out his tongue sometimes. But nah, he's not mentally ill, this is his choice!

yeah that's definitely the same thing you're not arguing in bad faith whatsoever when you compare your diagnosed as schizophrenic meth addicted depressed friend to the average trans person.

check it out I know the same type of person but get this they're gay surely that's mental illness too right I mean... coincidence???? i think not

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Moridin920 posted:

Then you roll your eyes and go whatever and move on with your day because they're not hurting anyone are they

You are profoundly ignorant.

Are you aware how difficult it is to get human beings, regardless of culture, to be accepting and tolerant of disability in a non-infantilizing manner as things currently stand?

You can bullshit all you want about changing minds or whatever, but actually? Yes, they are.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Let's just have a general Niceness movement. Niceism.

I bet nobody thought of it before, they always try to have a focus on one thing or another. "Oh, this specific thing is wrong, let's try to fix it, abloobloobloo." But More Niceness would cover all of it.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
The major difference is that "having psychic powers" makes predictions about reality that turn out to be wrong, whereas "I was born male but identify as female" does not.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

yeah that's definitely the same thing you're not arguing in bad faith whatsoever when you compare your diagnosed as schizophrenic meth addicted depressed friend to the average trans person.

check it out I know the same type of person but get this they're gay surely that's mental illness too right I mean... coincidence???? i think not

I'm not comparing them, I'm saying feminists are mentally ill.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

You are profoundly ignorant.

Are you aware how difficult it is to get human beings, regardless of culture, to be accepting and tolerant of disability in a non-infantilizing manner as things currently stand?

You can bullshit all you want about changing minds or whatever, but actually? Yes, they are.

odds are that if you think of actual disabled people in a worse way because you meet some weirdos who just like being in a wheelchair, you might be the poo poo person in that scenario

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Aschlafly posted:

The major difference is that "having psychic powers" makes predictions about reality that turn out to be wrong, whereas "I was born male but identify as female" does not.

I hate to tell you this, but he probably does not possess psychic powers. Also being born as a male makes you a male.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paco650 posted:

I hate to tell you this, but he probably does not possess psychic powers. Also being born as a male makes you a male.

let's play a game

man or woman?

paco650 posted:

I'm not comparing them, I'm saying feminists are mentally ill.

oh you're one of those

lol

e: oh and please don't tell me you'd have to sniff for pheromones or some equally insane poo poo tia

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Aschlafly posted:

I don't get why bathroom usage is the hill anyone has chosen to die on, but in particular the transsexual community. What "right" exactly are transsexuals fighting for? The "right" to use the bathroom of their choice?

Nobody has that right. I, a white male, don't have that right. Not having the right to choose which bathroom you want to use is, in fact, essential to the concept of gendered bathrooms. You go in the bathroom society says you go in.

I'm not objecting to the idea of men and women using the same bathroom without caring about the gender of the person in the next stall. My objection is there's no logically self consistent argument in favor of "protective" laws that prevent prejudicial enforcement of gendered bathrooms.

Once you've allowed people to determine their own gender and use the bathroom of their choice that's it for gendered bathrooms. The whole concept is kaput. It's a moot point.

If someone came in here and said "gendered bathrooms should be outlawed" I'd think they were going a little overboard but I'd accept they were making a lot more sense.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I don't get why bathroom usage is the hill anyone has chosen to die on, but in particular the transsexual community. What "right" exactly are transsexuals fighting for?

The right to determine their own identity without other people telling them what they are. It's pretty basic really.

Applewhite posted:

Nobody has that right. I, a white male, don't have that right. Not having the right to choose which bathroom you want to use is, in fact, essential to the concept of gendered bathrooms. You go in the bathroom society says you go in.

and you think tyranny of the majority is something that should be legally codified then? Good thing the founding fathers vehemently disagree, and they thought that actually in fact the right thing is NOT always what 'society' says it is and wrote the constitution appropriately.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 15, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^ -- You don't have that right though.

Applewhite posted:

I don't get why bathroom usage is the hill anyone has chosen to die on, but in particular the transsexual community. What "right" exactly are transsexuals fighting for? The "right" to use the bathroom of their choice?

I'm not objecting to the idea of men and women using the same bathroom without caring about the gender of the person in the next stall. My objection is there's no logically self consistent argument in favor of "protective" laws that prevent prejudicial enforcement of gendered bathrooms.

Once you've allowed people to determine their own gender and use the bathroom of their choice that's it for gendered bathrooms. The whole concept is kaput. It's a moot point.

If someone came in here and said "gendered bathrooms should be outlawed" I'd think they were going a little overboard but I'd accept they were making a lot more sense.

qft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

let's play a game

man or woman?

oh you're one of those

lol

e: oh and please don't tell me you'd have to sniff for pheromones or some equally insane poo poo tia

That's Buck Angel, certified Tranny pornstar and technical woman. Try again bicth.

• Locked thread