Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol that man could beat the poo poo out of you 10 ways to sunday friend

:synpa: master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Historical fact: In the late 19th century all restrooms were unisex until the proto-feminists attacked.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Sniffing pheromones ITT and I don't like what I smell...

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Applewhite posted:

I'm not objecting to the idea of men and women using the same bathroom without caring about the gender of the person in the next stall. My objection is there's no logically self consistent argument in favor of "protective" laws that prevent prejudicial enforcement of gendered bathrooms.

We might as well do away with all civil rights legislation, amirite?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

^^^^ -- You don't have that right though.

if I don't have the right to determine my own identity then I basically have no rights at all because everything flows from that basic principle if you think about it. You could all determine that I was a lesser human, and thus not worth the protections of the bill of rights. Just like people did to black people.

It's not up to you to decide who I am.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

lol that man could beat the poo poo out of you 10 ways to sunday friend

:synpa: master

Typical loser response: she could beat you up!!

Sweet page 18 snipe btw

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what a weakass comeback

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Luxury Communism posted:

Historical fact: In the late 19th century all restrooms were unisex until the proto-feminists attacked.

Wait really? That'd be loving hilarious if so. History really is a pendulum.

Aschlafly posted:

We might as well do away with all civil rights legislation, amirite?

Less laws is always better. In truth, nobody should question anybody's civil rights because the Constitution declares all people to have these rights.

Your argument lies in the fact that you are defining things like "gender identity" as a human right somebody has, but you've not really backed this statement up. You are not entitled to be perceived how you want. An ugly person doesn't have a right to be perceived as beautiful.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

paco650 posted:

I hate to tell you this, but he probably does not possess psychic powers. Also being born as a male makes you a male.
Oh whew, so glad you cleared that up for us

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

what a weakass comeback

Lol

Also nice ninja edit fag, post more why don't you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

My objection is there's no logically self consistent argument in favor of "protective" laws that prevent prejudicial enforcement of gendered bathrooms.

we wouldn't need it if people in the South stopped making laws that say 'the state determines what bathroom you are allowed to use.'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Your argument lies in the fact that you are defining things like "gender identity" as a human right somebody has, but you've not really backed this statement up. You are not entitled to be perceived how you want. An ugly person doesn't have a right to be perceived as beautiful.

lol is this really what you think we're talking about when we say you have the right to self-determine your own identity guy

really?

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
The capitalists didn't want to pay for two separate facilities but the courts determined that having female employees using the same restroom as male employees was fundamentally discriminatory.

How, you ask? Because of the same made-up allegations of danger that we see to this very day.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

I mean dude how is it NOT oppressive to not validate an identity? You're literally denying that person the right to self determine their sense of self

this is the issue right here. ok yeah sure gender is a social construct, its doesn't follow that gender is a choice. you are assigned a gender at birth, before you even know what the concept is. deciding to be transgender spits in the face of how gender is actually socially constructed. its not a video game, you dont get to choose

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

this is the issue right here. ok yeah sure gender is a social construct, its doesn't follow that gender is a choice. you are assigned a gender at birth, before you even know what the concept is. deciding to be transgender spits in the face of how gender is actually socially constructed. its not a video game, you dont get to choose

gently caress social norms bitch that's the argument of a 17th c. monarchist fuckwit

you were assigned to be a peasant at birth you don't get to choose :smugdon:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paco650 posted:

Lol

Also nice ninja edit fag, post more why don't you.

lol bro im gonna gently caress you up man you don't even know
you've entered a world of pain

honk honk

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Make your employees poo poo in a hole in the earth.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Less laws is always better. In truth, nobody should question anybody's civil rights because the Constitution declares all people to have these rights.
Exactly, that's why there's no civil rights legislation. The Supreme Court has been able to simply find all of these rights in the Constitution. oh wait

quote:

That isn't really my argument. I'm pretty pragmatic though and utterly fail to see the harm in entertaining people's wish to be treated as the gender of their choice, unless there's some pressing reason not to (e.g. athletics). Whether trans people are a certain level of Constitutionally protected class is something jurists will have to hammer out.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

we wouldn't need it if people in the South stopped making laws that say 'the state determines what bathroom you are allowed to use.'

As I recall, social media had a sustained campaign that was meant to say that you shouldn't question the gender identity of bathroom users well before NC legislated it.

In this day and age, where trans people feel more empowered to express themselves in that way, it seems inevitable that somebody would put a legislation like this forward. The fact is is that it is no more discriminitory than the social mores it seeks to enforce--that men use men's rooms, women use women's rooms. This didn't need to be enforced by a law because it was not really challenged at all because everybody liked that arrangement..

As Applewhite pointed out, this is really an issue that is being forced, and it isn't prudent or rational. It doesn't do anything to actually help trans people, it just serves to make women less safe.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

Rutibex posted:

I don't suspect anyone "chooses" to be transgender. I certainly didn't wake up and "choose" to be male or to identify with traditionally masculine things. It just happened.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

As I recall, social media had a sustained campaign that was meant to say that you shouldn't question the gender identity of bathroom users well before NC legislated it.

In this day and age, where trans people feel more empowered to express themselves in that way, it seems inevitable that somebody would put a legislation like this forward. The fact is is that it is no more discriminitory than the social mores it seeks to enforce--that men use men's rooms, women use women's rooms. This didn't need to be enforced by a law because it was not really challenged at all because everybody liked that arrangement..

On the one hand you start the post with 'tons of people on social media dislike X' then midway through you make the assertion that everyone liked the status quo.

for real?

have some internal consistency duder I don't even know what to say anymore. If everybody liked that arrangement there would be 0 controversy because this issue wouldn't exist. obviously some people did not like the arrangement and obv some people were being harassed about what bathroom they should be in.

HONK HONK

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
"People choose to be transgender" is the 201X equivalent of "people choose to be gay"

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4S0gHlKiho&t=6s

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

I don't even know what to say anymore]

Try saying nothing at all

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

I don't suspect anyone "chooses" to be transgender. I certainly didn't wake up and "choose" to be male or to identify with traditionally masculine things. It just happened.

The trans issue seems to be an exaggeration of a rejection of gender roles. It is fine to want to define your own gender role, but to take that so far as to believe that you SHOULD be an actual biological woman seems incredibly strange. There's a difference between saying "everyone is equal regardless of gender in the eyes of the law" and "both genders are interchangeable/gender is a meaningless concept". Again, children are being given reassignment surgeries and this is being presented as a GOOD thing.

Everybody includes people not on social media too, you insipid retard, and I'm going to just ignore any more posts you end with honks. What even are you--when did this happen? Why are you talking like this

And yes, I'm going to posit that until a tranny decided that he/she was entitled to poo poo wherever he/she wanted, nobody actually gave a crap about who was using what bathrooms. I'm pretty sure this whole thing started as a social media movement, with some Tumblrite citing oppression, although that's only feverish speculation. It's a minority within a minority dictating to the majority.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paco650 posted:

Try saying nothing at all

bro idk what it is with FYAD but I swear you dudes just follow me around to make the weakest little insults like I'd expect from a 7th grader

I know you guys are a bunch of 30 year olds you can cut the cute-sy teenager act already cuz it's fuckin WEIRD dudes

HONK HONK

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Everybody includes people not on social media too, you insipid retard, and I'm going to just ignore any more posts you end with honks. What even are you--when did this happen? Why are you talking like this

how can you say everyone liked X if people were complaining about X. That is my question.

jesus christ it's like arguing with literal 13 year olds

8-Bit Scholar posted:

to take that so far as to believe that you SHOULD be an actual biological woman seems incredibly strange...

Again, children are being given reassignment surgeries and this is being presented as a GOOD thing.

strawman bullshit that no one said, plus again mentioning that child surgery poo poo for the 5th or 6th time even though no one itt disagrees with you there or argued it or anything

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 15, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Can we just have wealthy people bathrooms and poor people bathrooms, like lets say if you make less than 300k a year you are considered a poor person and you have to pee and poop with your fellow poors

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

I said come in! posted:

no functional adult actually cares about this or sees this as an issue

You should probably not think about what a "functional adult" does and what it doesn't and just live your dreams. :) Don't care about what people think.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

bro idk what it is with FYAD but I swear you dudes just follow me around to make the weakest little insults like I'd expect from a 7th grader

I know you guys are a bunch of 30 year olds you can cut the cute-sy teenager act already cuz it's fuckin WEIRD dudes

HONK HONK

lol if this is true loving lol

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

HONK HONK

how can you say everyone liked X if people were complaining about X. That is my question.

jesus christ it's like arguing with literal 13 year olds

I don't post in Fuad also I'm 12yo and love smoking weed

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i mean haha, that is nearing smorky level of delusion

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
we all know rich people get away with whatever their sick perversions are anyway so . . . .

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aschlafly posted:

"People choose to be transgender" is the 201X equivalent of "people choose to be gay"

gay determinism is a bunch of poo poo. people are not robots, they are in control of their own actions

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

I don't really think this flies, because you can argue that sexual preferences are completely inborn traits, whereas transgendered persons are literally rejecting their in-born traits. You can't prove or disprove it, so it's a meaningless gesture.

Prohibiting people from being gay does nothing to help anyone, it only hurts gays and it violates the freedoms this country was founded upon. It costs nothing to allow them to marry and the only justification against them is religious, which can be easily dismissed.

Trans people are asking for a lot more than the gays were, and unlike homosexual rights, it isn't religion that stands as the primary hurdle here--it's science and medicine. I'm happy to change my mind on the trans issue if science and medical professionals reach a consensus and hard data is collected to support it, which time will inevitably do--but as it stands, based on the current set of data, the issue is VERY contentious, it has not been settled or agreed upon, and the potential for harm caused is very great.

Do you refute this comparison?

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Actually, everyone exists at a unique point on a spectrum of bisexuality.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Marqui deSade was pro trannys in the girls room. But also anti-stall doors and pro-replacing toilets with kneeling open mouthed slaves.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paco650 posted:

I don't post in Fuad also I'm 12yo and love smoking weed

please it takes 2 seconds to look

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Prohibiting people from peeing in whatever bathroom they want does nothing to help anyone, it only hurts those people and it violates the freedoms this country was founded upon. It costs nothing to allow them to appear as they want and the only justification against them is religious/moralistic, which can be easily dismissed.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

please it takes 2 seconds to look

Turn your monitor on

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.

Rutibex posted:

gay determinism is a bunch of poo poo. people are not robots, they are in control of their own actions
which is miles away from saying they are in control of their own desires or inclinations. (also free will is a useless concept, but that's neither here nor there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Moridin920 posted:

I'm profoundly ignorant when I say 'you shouldn't assume poo poo about people and bother them about whether they are really disabled or not' and your argument against this is 'because it somehow makes real disability worth less because suddenly they lose their 'special' status.'

gently caress off you contradictory bitch, either disabled people have special status which makes people treat them in a manner that is inherently infantilizing or they're just like regular people who maybe need some help at the end of the day and in no way would be looked down upon because some other otherwise healthy people use crutches/wheelchairs.

Nice attempt at stealth edit.

Now kindly point out where I said anything about the disabled needing to be afforded a special status, on which your entire post rests.

It has nothing to do with a special status. It has to do with the fact that humans across cultures, which I specified, just don't treat or think about people with disabilities in an affirming manner.

Changing minds or biases on this is an order of magnitude more difficult than it is in regards to sexual orientation. Sex is one thing, but people have much more of their identity wrapped up in their respective physical or mental capabilities, which disability directly speaks to.

The transdisabled actually do run a serious risk of making positive disability advocacy more difficult, and it is already a nearly insurmountable task. I would recommend reading The Social Psychology of Disability for a (very) basic introduction on why you are being an idiot for even entertaining that nonsense.

• Locked thread