Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

Say I'm dedicated to bypassing the computer on a shifty loan car. Can I?

I've never fooled with my car's computer. I've owned only two and while i got this one off a self-finance lot, I also paid cash to walk out with close to the car's blue book +/- the loving shot tires i had to replace. If there's some secret loving beeper/engine killer on it i want to know and also gently caress the computer up.

If you have the necessary knowledge, tools, and possibly the right computer equipment, then yeah, you'd be able to remove it. But that's the rub: the tools may be just regular ratchets and poo poo, but if the car's computer is involved, the equipment gets very specialized and expensive. It's not worth it unless you're the one installing the devices in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Modern car makers sell workshop kits as part of a package deal when they authorize a shop to work on their cars. This means that a regular wrench won't do it because their nuts and bolts are all custom and so you NEED that tool set they sell to do any significant work on your car and they are very, very expensive.

Now imagine that same system for their computers and yeah...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Now that Larry Wilmore is canceled and the Daily Show is just... Not very funny, it's beginning to look like John Oliver is the real Superman and the crisis is over. Oliver's show appears to have a much bigger presence on social media and frankly his commentary/depth is a lot better, along the lines of at least Stewart and probably a fair bit better than that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Whatever attention I used to give to the daily show/colbert has been entirely subsumed by Last Week tonight. That there's far less content sucks but it's still preferable to post-stewart TDS and I'm seriously amazed the nightly show lasted a year and a half, it should've been killed in the 2nd week.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Nightly Show baffled me, because he literally covered the exact same stories that the Daily Show covered right before. I watched it a few times when Hulu played it automatically after the Daily Show and there was just never anything original.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Now that Larry Wilmore is canceled and the Daily Show is just... Not very funny, it's beginning to look like John Oliver is the real Superman and the crisis is over. Oliver's show appears to have a much bigger presence on social media and frankly his commentary/depth is a lot better, along the lines of at least Stewart and probably a fair bit better than that.

Samantha Bee's show is incredible as well.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
For political content, Colbert's show is really good, unfortunately it's at best half of its runtime and it's really obvious that Colbert loving hates doing the rest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really get the feeling that the live shows marked a shift in Colbert. It feels almost as if he's hit the 'fuckit' stage and is allowing more weirdness infiltrate into the show. Both Word (or Werd) segments were on point and just like old days.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think it's more that he's bringing back the old stuff to keep from being canceled.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

hemophilia posted:

I'm seriously amazed the nightly show lasted a year and a half, it should've been killed in the 2nd week.

:agreed:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

For political content, Colbert's show is really good, unfortunately it's at best half of its runtime and it's really obvious that Colbert loving hates doing the rest.

I think he got tired of doing the character, so he decide to retire it and do a "normal" talk show, but "normal" shows are full of fluff and none of it's natural for him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think it's more that he's bringing back the old stuff to keep from being canceled.

There is such a stark quality difference between his political humor vs the rest of his show. Even his interviews change in tone when he's talking politics, you can tell he cares about the questions he's asking.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, the more I hear about the business of selling debt, the more it sounds like it should just be a crime. Once you let people sell off debt from loans, it's removing any responsibility from the financial institutions. It's a moral hazard.

Lenders have no reason to make sure that borrowers can repay, they're just churning out a product. The people who buy the debt have no responsibility for how bad of a loan it was in the first place, and they're prone to give absolutely no mercy, since they're practically in the business of foreclosure. And of course we know at the end of the chain, the private independent debt collectors are in the business of being the worst human beings possible.

And then somewhere down the line, you have the entire US economy resting more and more on the financial industry, which is relying more and more on the buying and selling something that shouldn't be a product in the first place, and when something goes wrong with that house of cards, it'll all come crashing down again, and the big banks will walk away with some federally subsidized bonuses, because they already know that they won't be held responsible for their mistakes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

His audience on CC isn't even remotely the size as an average night on late night. The FINAL episode of the Colbert Report didn't has as many eyeballs on it as the convention coverage.

Colbert's ratings issues haven nothing at all with him "selling out" or "needing to bing back old stuff", it's about his brand of weirdness not appealing to a wide audience.

You only have to look at the late night leader, Fallon, to see that. If you want Colbert to do well in ratings, he's going to have to 'sell out' far far more.

The failure is CBS not realizing what they were buying. They thought because Colbert's fanbase was younger that he would appeal to all young people and they could pull in the younger audience for the late show. What they didn't didn't realize is that even though Colbert had a energetic young fanbase, not all young people subscribe to that sort of humor instead of more mainstream stuff like Fallon.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Young people watch the least amount of TV ever and fallon makes goofy gimmick poo poo that translates perfectly to a 5 min youtube. Colbert seems to enjoy being The Colbert Report Lite but i honestly think it's as boring and safe as anything else on CBS except with echoes of something i used to like from the era when i still watched a lot of cable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The networks don't really care about late night talk show ratings any more. They're more interested in if a segment goes viral on youtube.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know it wasn't the point of the segment but leaving a baby in the car is a loving crime. More so than the point he was trying to make.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I know it wasn't the point of the segment but leaving a baby in the car is a loving crime. More so than the point he was trying to make.

Americans are pretty paranoid about that stuff. In Denmark its considered normal and courteous to leave your baby outside the window when you eat in a restaurant. A couple was arrested in America for doing this some years ago. Just cultural norms.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Demiurge4 posted:

Americans are pretty paranoid about that stuff. In Denmark its considered normal and courteous to leave your baby outside the window when you eat in a restaurant. A couple was arrested in America for doing this some years ago. Just cultural norms.

Normally, Americans leave babies in a how car and they roast to death. Us Americans are so stupid, we needed laws to tell parents not to leave children in cars because exceptions to situations hurt our brains.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tarlibone posted:

If you have the necessary knowledge, tools, and possibly the right computer equipment, then yeah, you'd be able to remove it. But that's the rub: the tools may be just regular ratchets and poo poo, but if the car's computer is involved, the equipment gets very specialized and expensive. It's not worth it unless you're the one installing the devices in the first place.

I had an aftermarket remote starter put in my car and the stoned goober at the shop that installed it didn't take more than about an hour, most of which I'm sure was spent on something else. So installing something that can both start the car and cut off the engine if you try to operate it without first putting in the key isn't rocket science, removing it probably isn't any harder.

But then again, if you have that kind of car knowledge and tools you aren't buying a 10 year old kia at 25% interest.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

There's also a 100% increase in the chance that your baby could be taken by a repo man if you leave it in the car.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

How hot is Denmark in the summer? Their climate seems far enough north that their summer high might be 80?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's really weird how some people really want Colbert to hate doing a late night talk show like they think he's an idiot and didn't know exactly what doing a late night talk show on CBS involved.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IRQ posted:

if you have that kind of car knowledge and tools you aren't buying a 10 year old kia at 25% interest.
A friend of a friend's parent bought their HS dropout teen mom daughter a car because she was going to UberLift her way to a stable life.

Naturally, they needed to have a car that night, and they proceeded to start the search at like 7:30pm on a Saturday.

The salesman that "helped" them must have had a vision of them transmogrifying into both a baked Thanksgiving dinner and a giant kid's lollipop, Looney Tunes style, when they walked on the lot.

Say hello to your NEW 2015 Toyota Prius! 0% Down, at $385 a month. We're practically PAYING YOU to take it off our hands!

:grin:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PhazonLink posted:

How hot is Denmark in the summer? Their climate seems far enough north that their summer high might be 80?

It gets hotter than that. I used to be in Sweden and it got up to 90+ in the summer and Sweden is north of Denmark. They aren't leaving their kids in hot cars though either. They are leaving them in strollers outside stores and restaurants.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

It's really weird how some people really want Colbert to hate doing a late night talk show like they think he's an idiot and didn't know exactly what doing a late night talk show on CBS involved.

It's just, like, my opinion, man.

My impression is that the political content is what he excels at, and that he was trying to have a "political Late Show" with political or human-interest interviewees instead of celebrities and sport figures.

Whether he made that decision before or after getting the show, or if CBS made it for him due to ratings, I have no clue.

Maybe he even likes doing the traditional Late Night stuff and just sucks at it, I personally think he just hates it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I enjoy watching the first half hour or so of Colbert every night, but typically won't watch the interviews.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's just, like, my opinion, man.

My impression is that the political content is what he excels at, and that he was trying to have a "political Late Show" with political or human-interest interviewees instead of celebrities and sport figures.

Whether he made that decision before or after getting the show, or if CBS made it for him due to ratings, I have no clue.

Maybe he even likes doing the traditional Late Night stuff and just sucks at it, I personally think he just hates it.

Are you kidding? He clearly loves the interviews and he's very good at them, it's just that they're terrible and boring because celebrity interviews are 99% terrible and boring. This was the case on the Report as well. I turn the show off after the scripted segments too but to say that Colbert is bad at the traditional late night talk show bullshit or hates it is crazy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

IRQ posted:

Are you kidding? He clearly loves the interviews and he's very good at them, it's just that they're terrible and boring because celebrity interviews are 99% terrible and boring. This was the case on the Report as well. I turn the show off after the scripted segments too but to say that Colbert is bad at the traditional late night talk show bullshit or hates it is crazy.

The other thing Colbert tried to do was interview people who actually have an effect on what is happening in the US and the world. He regularly has (or had) on CEO's, scientists, authors, and people who were working on projects to improve our lives. But the audience says "gently caress that, lets seem J Law be awkward but adorable! We want Clooney! and on and on." And I don't think Colbert dislikes talking to actors and such, but its got to be hard to have to do only that when you are trying to inform people.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He knew exactly what he was getting into and a big part of what turns me off of his show is how he tries to imitate Letterman (imitating Carson). I sincerely hate that he left the Report for the Late Show but who am I to judge? From watching it he's definitely happy where he is doing dumb celebrity interviews so good for him.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

IRQ posted:

Only late night guy (in recent years) who could regularly do interesting interviews was Ferguson. Could pull great interviews out of people that you'd never expect.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Late night talk shows are terrible. In fact, broadcast tv is terrible, and YouTube spots are for vapid millennials to watch on their cell phones.
Everything is terrible except for prune juice and the Macneil and Lehrer Newshour.

Colbert needs to do his character to be funny.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr. Fowl posted:

Only late night guy (in recent years) who could regularly do interesting interviews was Ferguson. Could pull great interviews out of people that you'd never expect.
He was also on at the rear end end of the night, so I doubt he had any network mandates or interference. They probably just said "Is he pulling better numbers than The Chevy Chase Show? Yeah? Ok cool, queue up some more terrible late night As Seen on TV commercials and XTENZ bonerpilz ads"

Network executives love the idea of The New Guy immediately pulling Letterman/Leno/Carson/Parr/Allen viewership, but they're all stricken by some rare form of amoeba that drains the concept that each personality took years to craft their show and persona to gain a specific audience.

Woden
May 6, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Samantha Bee's show is incredible as well.

Yeah it's the best of the ex Daily Show shows.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Really? Every time Samantha Bee was on the Daily Show she was terrible.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

My girlfriend feels the same way and I just can't understand it. She's always been top three in my eyes.

poo poo, just the Susan G. Komen fracking bit alone should be enough.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

punk rebel ecks posted:

She wasn't anything special on TDS but she's the only game in town these days if you want righteous anger in the Jon Stewart vein.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

punk rebel ecks posted:

IRQ posted:

She wasn't anything special on TDS but she's the only game in town these days if you want righteous anger in the Jon Stewart vein.

She's no prune juice, but she'll do.

Oliver is still markedly funnier in his delivery than anyone who's been mentioned here recently.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I tried watching an episode of Full Frontal and I just really couldn't get behind her politics, nor the way she presented them. If it had made me giggle that would have been one thing, but I found her tone and jokes just...unfunny.

She was pretty drat okay on TDS though. It's a shame. I'm glad she has a show for the sake of it, I just wish it were better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mastajake posted:

I enjoy watching the first half hour or so of Colbert every night, but typically won't watch the interviews.

Same here, I almost never watched the interviews on The Daily/Report. I can get through Colbert's Late Shows by only watching the first 15 minutes or so.

IRQ posted:

He knew exactly what he was getting into and a big part of what turns me off of his show is how he tries to imitate Letterman (imitating Carson). I sincerely hate that he left the Report for the Late Show but who am I to judge? From watching it he's definitely happy where he is doing dumb celebrity interviews so good for him.

Solvent posted:

Late night talk shows are terrible. In fact, broadcast tv is terrible, and YouTube spots are for vapid millennials to watch on their cell phones.
Everything is terrible except for prune juice and the Macneil and Lehrer Newshour.

Colbert needs to do his character to be funny.

I'm pretty sure he was tired of doing his character day after day, for almost a decade, which is why he decided to end it on a high note and go to the much more banal Late Show. He should probably just bring back "Colbert" on occasion, maybe once a week, and that should make everybody happy.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

My girlfriend feels the same way and I just can't understand it. She's always been top three in my eyes.

poo poo, just the Susan G. Komen fracking bit alone should be enough.

Almost everybody I know likes Sam, but one of my female co-workers thinks she's annoying. I was surprised when she first told me, but I guess it's sort of a catty female dislike thing.

• Locked thread