Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

the post you edited was not the post that Syka and Leave were referring to when they asked you not to spoil poo poo. Click your name in his quote to be taken directly to the post they want you to change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Nine: Seafood Soup!

Welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we made our way to the Returner hideout, where Terra agreed to help fight against the Empire. Shortly after that, Banon, leader of the Returners, was forced to flee with Remain, Terra and Leave, while Nathan makes his way to South Figaro. Today, we're going to cross the River Lethe, so let's roll.

This section is on rails; we have very little control over where we're going. There's also no specific music for this area; it's just the sound of rushing water.

But, there are still random encounters. Since it'd be boring to just float down a river.

Surprisingly, we find a lot of sea critters to fight.

Banon's special command is Pray, which acts as a free Cura spell.

It's really great at keeping your party alive, and what I have Banon doing every turn, even if we're all at full health. It's a paranoia thing, since if Banon dies, the entire thing goes kaput.

The Nautiloid is weak to Fire, because most things have been up to this point, but also Lightning, since it's a sea creature.

They've also got 236 HP, so Auto Crossbow won't likely drop them in one volley, but Aura Bolt will, no problems. In addition to a generic physical, they can also blast someone with Ink, to do a little damage and inflict Blind.

The Exocite is a little less exciting, having only 196 HP and a weakness to fire. As well as lightning. And holy-themed Hadokens.

Either way, light 'em up, and they're nothing to worry about. They can snap you with a Pincer, though, for some extra damage.

The Exocite drops 162 EXP and 153 Gil, with the Nautiloid giving out 216 EXP and 173 Gil.

Every now and again, we're given a choice of which way to go along the river.

We're going to head left, which makes things a little quicker going through here.

But not before we fight a couple of flying lizards.

These sons of bitches are tougher than most other enemies we've encountered, having 380 HP a piece.

They are weak against Fire, though, so light 'em up!

Punching the living poo poo out of them is also very effective.

They give out 464 EXP a piece, which holy balls, that sounds like a lot, and 325 Gil a piece. They'll also rarely drop Hi-Potions.

Holy poo poo, I cannot think of anything to say about this. I mean, it's floating down a goddamned river.

Oh, hey, we're inside. Neat!

It gives us a chance to hit a save point, rest, and move along. I only do the moving along part, since with Banon, I have no need to recover HP, and Terra's spells have a low enough cost, I'm not worried about running out of MP.

We're quickly given another choice of where to go. Up will take us into an infinite loop, leading us back here to make the choice again. That's also an exploit you could use in the SNES version; use your turbo-controller, set up the cursor memory so that Remain is using the Crossbow, Leave and Terra are attacking and Banon is using Pray, and have it hammer the "A" button so that you're constantly inputting commands and choosing to go Up, and come back in a few hours; you'll be massively overleveled.

But, gently caress that, I went left.

Which leads us back to another rest area.

I still didn't save at this one. I thought about it, but didn't.

All is going well and good, until

We fall off a waterfall!

Oh, never mind. All is still well and good.

We...We seemed to have stopped. That's odd.

:ducksiren:Certainly no boss fight about to go down, no sir!:ducksiren:

I could ask the same question!

Oh, God, look at that ugly sumbitch.

Ugh. I hate it when something with teeth like that giggles at me. It makes a poor first impression.

Now I'm reminded of that loving lovely movie, so I'm going to kick your rear end twice as hard.

Yeah, he's a chatty cephalopod.

That might seem like a lot of damage, but Banon is in the back row; that's half of how hard Ultros can smack someone.

To follow the trend of the other enemies here, he is weak to Fire. He's also weak to Lightning, but I've no way of utilizing that, so Fire will have to do.

Make sure that Banon is Praying his rear end off in this fight; Ultros can drop a bunch of damage quickly, and if he kills Banon, it's game over. And if he's whittling down other party members, it can be hard to revive them, get them healthy, while keeping everyone else healthy, dealing damage, and ensuring that your instant lose button isn't pressed.

But, with Banon blasting the Prayers all over the place, you can focus on ripping through the 3,000 HP Ultros has.

He does not like to be lit on Fire, either.

He's very particular about his non-fire status. He likes it that way.

He'll counter with Ink when Terra lights him up, which...Does nothing to impede her ability to cast Fire. In fact, he could Blind the entire party here, and it wouldn't affect our combat efficiency one iota, since Tools, Blitzes and Magic don't give two shits about Blindness.

So, in essence, Ultros just gave Terra some kickass shades, and now she can be all :dealwithit: to Ultros.

If you watch the video, this is my entire battle strategy.

Ultros also proves himself to be ultra-loving creepy.

:stare:

:gonk:

Tentacle is not an attack to gently caress around with, and is an excellent reason to have everyone in the back row. Something that can deal over 200 damage to a single character is fuckin' scary, especially since that's more HP than Banon has at max.

However, Ultros won't just single out Terra.

He's also jealous of Leave's physique, and will gently caress him up, too.

However, that's the end of this fight. Ultros has an attack I didn't get a chance to show off, since I was too busy wrecking his poo poo, but he can hit the entire party at once with Tentacle, which will deal massive damage across the group. But, that's the only part you didn't get to see that would normally show up.

The fight is technically over when Ultros drops back into the water.

It'd be hard for him to miss the point. I know if I got an assbeating like that, I'd get the point.

It's entirely possible, I suppose. He doesn't seem sharp enough to take the opportunity to run off.

Oh, maybe Terra found a bit of octopus brain matter.

:gonk:

Just as long as keep away from the edge; it's kind of like that Stephen King story.

...Wait a second, they weren't safe, even away from the edge...

Leave isn't satisfied at the rear end-kicked status of Ultros, though.

And decides that the best way to rectify that is to go and kick some more rear end. I like his style.

What argument will Remain use to keep Leave on track?

Apparently none, as he's shoulder checked outta the way and Leave dives into the water.

That reminds me, Sabin's original name in the Japanese version was Mash.

...My wife?

I believe in him.

We know that, Banon. You're having another senior moment; go stand in the middle of the raft and reminisce about when you could afford two cars and a house payment with a single income source.

Maybe I should be transcribing this.

I probably should be. I'm not sure why I'm not.

And there goes Leave.

Just a little bit. Slightly overshot it; it happens.

At least Terra gives a poo poo about Leave.

Yeah, he'll be fine.

Uh, maybe. Hopefully. What's the worst that can happen to someone floating down a river without a raft or any protective gear?

And thus ends our trip down the River Lethe...

But not the end of this update.

But what of Leave, who was swept away by the raging waters? And how is Nathan faring after having penetrated the Empire's defenses in South Figaro? Is all going according to plan...?

That's right, folks, it's time for another vote! BOLD your vote for which scenario we go through first.

Will we follow the saga of Terra, Remain and Banon as they try to reach Narshe? Will we see where Leave wound up after being separated and floating down the River Lethe? Or shall we see how Nathan is doing in South Figaro?

You'll have a couple of days to vote, and the scenario with the most votes is what we'll do when we come back!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nathan

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Locke is my fave, so I say we go with his story. I also think his is the best of the three. He's great, Sabin is alright, and the third option is a bit dull. Ultros can be a tough boss if you're fairly new to RPGs or not spamming Pray. I don't think he's ever taken me out, but I've had some close calls. I've played FFVI a fair amount of times, but I forgot how many characters use anything but their standard Attack.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nathan, or really anyone but Leave right now for reasons.

Also, reason number 2 for why the SNES translation is "better", Ultros opens the fight with "Uwe hee hee! Game over! Don't tease the Octopus, kids!"

Also also, using my highly trained sense of pattern recognition, it seems that Leave didn't do FFV Advance, is that something that can be fixed in the future?

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Gotta vote for seeing what Nathan is up to. Probably heisting a museum or something.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go with Nathan for now.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Locke's is a really fun sequence. That's why I suggest we get the story with Terra, Banon, and the Jack of Hearts Leave out of the way first.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Nathan. He's been offscreen for a while so we should check in.

Leavemywife posted:

That reminds me, Sabin's original name in the Japanese version was Mash.
When the vote to rename Edgar and Sabin came up, I considered suggesting Banger & Mash to play off of this. I didn't suggest it because I was on vacation and do not like phoneposting.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ParanoidLogician posted:

Right, right. My bad entirely.

Have to say, wasn't expecting people to get so fired up over glitches.
What can you say, (stupid) rules are rules.

Gonna go Nathan for this one. Scratch that, people say Remain, Terra, and Banon have the boring mission so let's do that.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 15, 2016

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Hmmm, as much as I'd love to check on Leave let's go ahead and continue with Terra, Remain, and Banon.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lets go with our Chief Thief to see how his guerilla campaign is going

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I vote we check in with our boy Nathan. Stealthing your way through an enemy occupied city sounds interesting, and we might learn something!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I vote for Terra, Remain, and Banon because it's kinda boring and we might as well get it out of the way.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

quote:

People keep telling him to leave, so he did :v:.

Let's go with Terra, Remain, and Banon, we should get the least exciting one done first.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Seafood soup is one of my favorite dishes- when done right at least. :)

Ultros dialogue makes a lot more sense without Woolsey-isms. I still don't like that they took out the thread title though. :(

I also saw him do an attack called "You frighten me!" where he singles out Banon, but only if the battle went on too long. Probably good you didn't get that.

I never did the River Grind Loop, but then I've never owned a turbo controller. I won't judge.

In the SNES version, the river was just the Lete River. Without the h, it's hard to make the connection with the Lethe River of Greek myth. In there, if you drank from or fell into the Lethe river, you risked losing your memory. It was one of the nicer Greek underworld rivers. ;) I doubt they're going to hand us another party member with amnesia, so this is probably not the same famous stream.

Still, just to be sure, let's check in on Leave first.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ultros is the first real 'wake up' boss in the game. I remember him clowning on me so much because Tentacle is one of the meanest attacks in the game: it ignores defense and cannot miss. Leave dusted Ultros too fast, but he does have a scripted Tentacle attack on Bannon. The only way Bannon can survive it is either to have enough health to tank it in the front row or stick him in the back. He can also guard to shave more damage off of it but if he's guarding, he's not Praying and he'll need to do that too.

Even that's not a guarantee. My number 1 game over by Ultros move is 'full party Tentacle, Banon scripted Tentacle.' You really need to dust him fast.

Oh yeah, number 2? Banon getting tentacled twice. Ultros is mean.

Voting for Terra, Remain, Banon.

Nihilarian posted:

the post you edited was not the post that Syka and Leave were referring to when they asked you not to spoil poo poo. Click your name in his quote to be taken directly to the post they want you to change

:doh: Actually fixed it this time.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Let's get the raft going goobers out of the way first.

They really do have the least interesting story.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Gotta find out where Leave drifted to.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's just Nathan vs. the Empire

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
Casting my vote for Nathan, 'cause I only vaguely remember what happens with him in South Figaro. Also, I only ever played the playstation version, so it's neat to see all the changes between the SNES and GBA translations. I THINK the seafood soup line stayed in the ff anthology version, though. Don't quote me on that, however, it's been ages since I even played. :cheeky:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I vote not to leave Leave just floating off in some dangerous river all alone.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Ten: Clothes Really Do Make The Man

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, Remain, Leave, Terra and Banon escaped down the Lethe River, but they were separated by Ultros the octopus, who caused Leave to careen off down one side of the river, while the others continued floating toward Narshe. Meanwhile, Nathan has successfully infiltrated South Figaro, so we're going to go check that out; let's roll.

If you need to escape, turn the hell around! The exit is right there!

Oh, yeah, that would potentially stop you. That's a cutscene soldier, so we don't stand a chance by our lonesome.

Thankfully, even if it is a cutscene, they're still only about as aware as a Genome soldier, so we're safe for, well, ever.

But first, you need some equipment. You're currently nekkid.

In hindsight, I could have snagged the Gigas Glove from Remain before we fought Ultros and given it to Nathan here, thereby making him a physical force to be reckoned with.

But, this'll do. He's out a bit of Defense and a touch of Evasion, but he's also going to be smashing your face in so hard, it's not that big of a deal.

This guy has already forgotten he was chasing us.

However, we will scram, right into Duncan's house.

Where his wife has something to relay to us.

A clue to progress! And we know just the house that has a draft! But, getting there is the trick...

We can't get past that Magitek guy, so let's keep exploring.

...Okay, we know of a merchant that used to deliver to this guy. Looks like we'll have to go pay him a visit...

Righto, bud. Just move aside and let me go.

Merchants!? Merchants are a bunch of dicks!

But, there is an item shop here. I'm sure this guy will know all about merchants. I mean, he is one, right?

...Uh-huh...I've gotta try and fight him now.

Remember what I said about merchants being dicks? Prime example, here.

In the SNES release, Nathan would have told this guy, "Call me a treasure hunter, or I'll rip your lungs out!"

Now, our (my) natural inclination is to kick the poo poo out of him, but that's not the solution here.

Instead, we have to Steal from him.

And not just the pimp hat, even if that is a nice bonus.

We also steal the clothes off his back!

And so, Nathan descends into a world full of another man's armpit funk and BO bombs.

He also decides to try being clever, busting out a small couplet.

Do be sure to check out the name change here.

Apparently, he tried so hard to flee, he ran headfirst into the wall and is now regretting the life choices that brought him here.

So, the gimmick here is that we'll need to switch clothes to work our way through the town.

People also react differently to us, based on how we're dressed.

But, maybe we can squeeze past this fella now.

Just tryin' to get past to peddle my wares, sir!

OH GOD IT'S ALL GONE WRONG

HE'S TURNED MY FACE INTO A LIGHTNING ROD FOR HIS HATRED

im bleeding from orifices i didnt know could bleed

Okay, let's not do that.

Instead, we'll explore out in another direction.

Namely, passing by this little poo poo.

There's nothing new for sale in the armor or weapon shop, but there is a hint as to how to proceed.

Uh-huh. I'm not surprised to find out I could take someone who is, essentially, a lackey.

However, this is the juicy bit. We can take their uniforms to go places where merchants and treasure thieves aren't wanted.

Unfortunately, we can't jack this guy's Magitek Armor and go for a joyride.

However, we can swing by this guy now.

Over to where one of those green-garbed goobers is.

The Main Gauche helps raise Evasion, and when you block an attack with it, you get this fancy little animation instead of just a miss notification.

You would think if this guy just hollered loud enough, someone would come by and see us throwing on his duds.

That sound you just heard, the one filled with depression and disgust?

That was me, groaning, after reading this.

Alright, let's see how the Imperials respect us now!

Not anymore than before!

Though, we do find out that this guy thinks Kefka is a jerk, so that's something. And that Kefka is going to try and kick down the doors to Narshe.

So, the door to the rich man's house is impassable, due to a guard on duty, but what about the guy just below the Magitek rider?

Ah, the allure of a break and not having to work. The siren call that affects all...

He's heading straight into the Pub, via Inn, but we'll just pop into the Pub the easy way.

Underground passage into the mansion, you say? Well, well, I think we know our entrance...

I...I don't think that's how it works when you're part of an army. I'm pretty sure that's a serious offense, and judging by how this Empire has done things before, you...Oh, hell, it's not my problem.

Lady general? And a famous one, to boot. As well as a traitor!

The plot thickens...

I just learned about the first one!

Alright, our entrance and our exit. I wonder if this has anything to do with the drafty passage.

But, before we go too much further, let's get the old man drunk and see what he has to spill.

I can pay you for it. It wouldn't be--

:sigh:

Just gimme your clothes.

And your boots and your motorcycle.

With the cider collected, we'll pop back over to the old man and make his daily liquor delivery.

Just happier than a pig in mud, he is.

Ah-ha. And as a previous servant of the richest family in town, it makes sense that he would have a quick way to reach them, if need arised.

Oh, you old bastard.

Wait, does it require letters and numbers?

Ooh, classic movie reference! I'll take Rosebud, for 100, child-needing-password!

I'm not sure what the kid does when the screen fades to black, but I'm assuming it involves hitting Nathan in the crotch.

Alright, let's try a different tack here.

Okay, you caught me; it doesn't matter what you're wearing, but it amuses me that the kid accuses us of being an Imperial spy, and then we roll past him wearing an Imperial uniform.

The true password is Courage. The password in the original Japanese version was "Wild Rose", a reference to Final Fantasy II.

And with this open, we can sneak into the mansion, and grow one step closer to getting the hell out of here.

Yeah, you thought we were popping out of that door or something, weren't you?

Nope! Before we take off, though, we will rob time to be able to fully heal at any point.

Okay, we've made it into the mansion.

Nathan switches his frequency to 140.96.

I think that joke works, considering the next shot is us talking to someone who isn't really telling us much of use. I...I don't really know how to make Metal Gear jokes. I've never played the games.

Well, I'm going to go have a word with him!

Hey, assbutt!

I can never feel sympathy for someone like this. You had to have some idea of what the gently caress was going to happen. It's not like the Empire is known for giving out rainbow farts and kitten hats when they roll into town!

Or, maybe they do. I'm sure the children can tell me!

Uh-huh. When we're done, I'll teach you a rhyme about a lady with an axe.

This kid is still thinking about power armor.

Meanwhile, the soldier tasked with watching them is losing his mind.

Okay, let's sneak downstairs and see what's shakin'.

There might be another reason why I chose this outfit to come down here with. But, that'll come next update.

This room looked like a prison cell before, so let's see if there's something going on in there now.

"T-t-there was a woman, and a donkey, and two guys with mops!"

Ugh. Maybe I shouldn't have made a donkey show joke...

The lady traitor!? :monocle:

In the original, we saw this soldier punch this lady in the stomach. I'm pretty happy we don't have to see that anymore.

However...

We will need to see some votes that have been BOLDED to rename the lady traitor! I'll give you guys a couple of days to decide on a name, and we'll go from there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A lady general who continually gets called out specifically as a lady? Better name her Jeanne and have done with it.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Hmm.... blonde hair, clearly important, and obviously going to be rescued by Nathan the thief?

...We gotta be looking at Elena Fisher. This game was Uncharted before Uncharted was Uncharted.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'm going to throw in for Olivia in honor of a certain eldest sister of the Armstrong family.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Well, she's the sky to Terra's earth, so how about we name her Sarrah?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Badass woman must be called Ripley. We've already got our Uncharted character.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Edit: changed my mind, I'll second Ripley

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 16, 2016

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I went looking for a name with a more subtle connection to a certain event and came up with Athena, which also happens to fit her character very well.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

BrightWing posted:

I'm going to throw in for Olivia in honor of a certain eldest sister of the Armstrong family.

This.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm going to suggest Leia because I feel like it. Unrelated: I may have a niece and a nephew that have been watching a lot of Star Wars lately.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

BrightWing posted:

I'm with you on this. (Technically her first name is Olivier, but that's a bit too long for FF6's naming scheme.)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You should play the Metal Gear games, Leave. They are awesome. MGS 1-4 anyway, and Revengeance. I can't say I'm a fan of the others. Something about bad writing compared to the games I liked and overly complicated boss fights.

Enjoying the improved dialogue in South Figaro.

Celes- ah, my favorite female PC of the game (Remain being my favorite male). Tempting to call her Elena or Chloe since Nathan is gonna rescue her, but she strikes me as someone who is very much her own person and would not want to be defined like that. And she's an awesome commanding general so I agree Olivia fits. I did have to Google Olivier Armstrong though. I need to watch Full Metal Alchemist now.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 16, 2016

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.

SMaster777 posted:

Hmm.... blonde hair, clearly important, and obviously going to be rescued by Nathan the thief?

...We gotta be looking at Elena Fisher. This game was Uncharted before Uncharted was Uncharted.

This person has it right, that's an Elena if I've ever seen one!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

Badass woman must be called Ripley. We've already got our Uncharted character.

If she's such a badass I'm voting we call her Badass.

Albelnoxyesthatone
Jul 22, 2014
I vote Ripley

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Olivia suits her pretty well.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fun fact that Leave didn't show off since it skips stuff, but there's a bridge hidden behind the structure on the pub/inn/cider guy's house spanning the river. You could get there with just the Merchant's disguise and skip the soldier swap and telling the jerk its time for his break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Because we kept Terra, this is one name we should keep as default.

Celes

That way their names properly play off of each other.

• Locked thread