Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Y-Hat posted:

Badass woman must be called Ripley. We've already got our Uncharted character.

Ripley deserves to kick rear end and take names in every franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

SMaster777 posted:

Hmm.... blonde hair, clearly important, and obviously going to be rescued by Nathan the thief?

...We gotta be looking at Elena Fisher. This game was Uncharted before Uncharted was Uncharted.

This. Elena is my vote too.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...
I love how Merchant-Nathan got kicked in the crotch (rumored) for being "an imperial spy" because he didn't know the password, but Nathan, wearing an Imperial Uniform, got right on through.

Also, I'm usually one for default names but I'll toss in a vote for Ripley as well.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Throw in a vote for Olivia for me.

Torrast
May 17, 2007
A blonde female general sounds like Beatrix to me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

mauman posted:

Because we kept Terra, this is one name we should keep as default.

I agree. Tina.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Torrast posted:

I'm concurrently reading the FFIX LP, so Beatrix gets my vote as well.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I know it's not gonna get picked but I might as well throw in what my brother and I always named her: Aurian, after the kick-rear end titular character of the Artefacts of Power series who deals in magic and swordplay.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If we're going to contrast her with Terra, then name her Ciel.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really like Locke's scenario, but I had the hardest time. There's nothing that tells you that you can steal the merchant's clothes, and I don't know about you guys, but when I'm flying solo, Stealing is the last thing on my mind.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Torrast posted:

Syka posted:

I'm concurrently reading the FFIX LP, so Beatrix gets my vote as well.

I think it's still a six character limit. You could shorten it to Betrix? Nah, doesn't really flow right.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I went looking for a name with a more subtle connection to a certain event and came up with Athena, which also happens to fit her character very well.

I'm liking this one, though I'm drawing a blank on the event you're talking about. The name does fit her.

Another vote for Athena.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rockopolis posted:

If we're going to contrast her with Terra, then name her Ciel.

You bring up an excellent point. Obviously to contrast with Terra, her name must be Nigma.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Ripley is a good idea

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Just keep Celes

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dirk the Average posted:

You bring up an excellent point. Obviously to contrast with Terra, her name must be Nigma.

I liked that game, so sure, let's do it. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Joyce for no reason other than that's the first woman's name I thought of randomly. :v:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Olivia is a name that's been passed down through the Empire for generations!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don't know... I think she strikes me as the Maria type, for whatever reason.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Holy balls, there's a lotta different votes in here.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Pre-knowledge joke vote: Floozy :v:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Well, default isn't gonna win, so might as well throw my hat in for the reference to my favorite anime ever: Olivia

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Voting Ripley

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I say we call her Cher so we can see if she believes in life after love (after love (after love))

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

If like to change my vote to Balding in honour of the BBC's coverage of the Olympics.

Six char limit make it Baldin instead.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

AweStriker posted:

Just keep Celes

Too many alternatives, going for this.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I really like Locke's scenario, but I had the hardest time. There's nothing that tells you that you can steal the merchant's clothes, and I don't know about you guys, but when I'm flying solo, Stealing is the last thing on my mind.

There is some NPC dialogue or a popup that deals with this, though I think the popup only happens after a turn or two of combat and both the Merchant and Soldier die in one hit.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
A headstrong blonde woman taken hostage by her unit of record, probably for exhibiting some manner of autonomy, with a vaguely misogynistic overreaction?

That's clearly Samus.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
I like Olivia, it's fitting. Also, a kickass name for a kickass lady.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Celes

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
A blonde general? Nell.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Well, it was close between Olivia and Ripley, but the lady traitor of the Empire is Olivia!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Well, it was close between Olivia and Ripley, but the lady traitor of the Empire is Olivia!

I approve of this message.
______________________/

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not dead!

I'm not even doing this LP, just involved in a side-project, but the LP Curse don't care...

On Thursday, August 4, I was doing laundry. I went to take my clothes out of the dryer, and they were still wet. I thought I forgot to start the dryer, but nope. It was dead. It was 10+ years old, so it had a good run. We went to Home Depot, and bought a new one...

When we got home, we found the AC wasn't working. We tried everything we could think of to get it to work again, but nothing did it. I went outside to look at the unit, and saw the fan wasn't moving. Dead AC? In August? Yes, please!

We called someone out to fix it on Friday morning. Our house was built in the 1950s. The AC was made not long after, and the company no longer exists. The parts that needed replacing were had to find, and expensive. And, being so old, there was no guarantee how long it would last once replaced. So, we got someone to come out Friday afternoon to give an estimate.

The Wife & I talked it over, and scraped together the money to get a new AC. Since it was late Friday, we couldn't contact them until Monday. Later that day, they brought us a portable unit. Of course, we have louvered windows, except in The Wife's office, so that's where we set it up. It didn't do much to cool the rest of the house, but that room (which had always been hot before) was nice and cool. Plus, we have a window unit in our bedroom, since it never got too cool in there. Fans and open windows after it rained and cooled off were the standard.

The AC crew was scheduled to come out on Thursday, August 11 to replace the AC. Before the crew showed up, their foreman showed up to look at the duct work (which we had been told would need to be replaced in 1 or 2 years when we got the estimate). It turns out that on the side of the house where the laundry room is, a 2 foot section of duct was missing. Just... gone. :iiam:

But now we know why that side of the house was always hotter... :ms:

So we ended up having to reschedule to this past Monday.

And, of course, it wasn't easy. We had to rip down part of the ceiling in our bedroom. The other 2 areas we had to take down had already been taken down not long after we moved in, and we just screwed sheetrock up, so at least that was easy to remove.

With our house being 60+ years old, it wasn't like anything the crew had seen before. They had to custom make the boots for the ducts, and it took them 2 days to get everything installed. Oh, they also had to custom order the vent covers, and that will take 3 weeks.

They finished up yesterday, and we spent the rest of the night putting the drywall back up, and cutting and fitting new drywall for our bedroom. Which is just screwed in place, because it'll have to come back down soon, so that we can get insulation blown into the ceiling.

But we have working AC again, and it's modern, so our power bill will start going down! And my office is up and running again! So now I just have to catch up on the LP, and get some Bestiary Entries done! :sugartits:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kheldarn posted:

I'm not dead!

drat, and I was annoyed when my car battery died yesterday during lunch. At least everything's been sorted out, from the sounds of it!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Kheldarn- I recommend the Koopa Troop AC Crew. They work fast, are very professional, and have remarkably very few complaints. Rumors of the Crew Chief Bowser savagely mutilating any complainers are surely exaggerated.

I've been having AC woes this summer too. :(

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

: So... Blitz attacks aren't something you can just learn from studying. Stupid Mario jumping on my while I'm trying to read...

Explosionface posted:

I will cut you, you son of a fatherless goat!

: Truth hurts? Bwa ha ha ha!

Explosionface posted:

Carbon dioxide posted:

I noticed that Bowser's portrait was circular, so a part of me thought it would be a good idea to do this:

Every part of me thinks this was a good idea.

: Except the Left Right Left part!

Junpei posted:

Hey Bowser, are you a ninja?

: You never saw me coming, did ya? Gwa ha ha ha!

Chapter 4: Lethe Lummoxes

"These small creatures live in holes dug into the earth. Their sturdy skin can be used to make armor."
: Rhodox armor, huh? Hmm...

"The Nautiloid's Ink attack can be a nuisance. Buy plenty of Eye Drops to avoid the resulting Dark."
: Or, invite him to use Ink on you whenever that hag Kammy is near!

"This species of crab attacks with its giant Scissors."
: Weak to fire. Steamed crab. Sounds like dinner!

"A species of dragon. Its many attacks include Wing and Fire Ball."
: This pterodon is a dragon? Bah! I'M a dragon!

"I've got more lives than I do arms!"
: This guy sounds fun! I bet he'd make an excellent addition to my Koopa Troop!

: Alrigt, I'm off to recruit Utlros! Then, it's Mario stomping time! Bwahaha

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ripley

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kheldarn posted:

I'm not dead!

Oof. The closest I've come to something like that (not that it's even in the same ballpark) was after my apartment complex got some major pipework done last year and knocked a bunch of stuff loose. My washing machine line got completely blocked, two showerheads had to be replaced, three sink filters needed clearing (easy but they prefer to do it themselves in case something breaks or a washer gets dropped), and one toilet bob got jammed because silt got into the hinges. The annoying part was that it didn't all happen at once, one thing would wait to break until just after the maintenance guy left from the previous one. This included some work on the shower knob which had the phrase "they make this tool specifically to remove that part without it breaking, I used it and the part broke", and also a broken pipe between the wall and the showerhead where it just decided to disintegrate when the guy touched it. Two weeks of my plumbing turning against me.

On the bright side, I didn't have to pay for any of it and everything's worked like a charm afterward.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Eleven: Aren't You A Little Short To Be An LP'er?

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, Nathan infiltrated South Figaro and discovered that one of their Generals had turned traitor. Today, we're going to rescue that General and escape South Figaro, so let's roll.

We've actually seen Olivia before; you might not have realized it then, but she is in Terra's flashback.

It's okay if you forgot about that. I pretty much did, too.

She doesn't let that guard get away with his poo poo-talking.

I think he's supposed to be locking up her shackles here, but I like to think he's trying the Vulcan nerve pinch.

Jesus, Kefka is a dick.

Hmm...If we boogie out now, that's one less Imperial we have to worry about. However, she did betray them, so it could be beneficial if we were to take her along.

However, we changed her name, so we all know she's coming along.

"I know it's time for shift change when the spiders start crawling all over me!"

In the original, since Olivia got punched by the guard, she passes out here. In this version, I like to think that it's just general exhaustion and maybe a little starvation that makes her go down.

At least, that's how I read this scene, so I could be wrong.

That's the nice thing about being a grunt; nobody really notices you and as long as you're respectful and keep out of the way. Being on the bottom rung in basically any organization, you're basically treated like a mushroom.

In that, you know, you're kept in the dark and fed bullshit all day.

...Well, we're going with the significantly less creepy option here.

*straightens tie*

No respect, I tell ya.

Also, hey, have a Star Wars reference! That's the only reason I stayed dressed as the Trooper. I hope it was worth it.

: You're a Returner!? I'm...Or at least I was...General Olivia. Now I'm nothing but a traitor.

Not even going to ask about her betrayal, Nathan?

No? We're just...Skipping over that? Could be important!

: I appreciate it, but...Even if you got me out, you wouldn't be able to protect me. I'm better off waiting here for the executioner. At least that way, I'll keep my pride...

: I'll protect you! Trust me! You'll be fine! Let's go!

Eh?

Even if we wake him up, we can put him back to sleep.

:ninja: style.

Go ahead, Nathan, tell me you were "treasure hunting" through his pockets.

Oh, God, stab him, he's awake!

Oh, no, never mind. He's just dreaming about food.

I wonder what kind of bread he's dreaming about.

So, Olivia is a Rune Knight.

She only comes equipped with the Hairband, but barring some armor, we can get her kitted out.

However, we have no good Relics to throw her way.

I'll have to explain Runic at the end of the update, due to how it works, but take note that Olivia comes with some Magic; she currently has Cure, Poisona, and Blizzard.

The second door is still a save point, so we'll just go through to the third.

So, there's this ticking clock.

And a non-ticking clock. Since we have a clock key, and there's already one ticking clock, we'll just go ahead and wind this one up. Were this Resident Evil, we'd have to read a silly-rear end file to find out the proper time for this clock or we'd have to restore power to this room while finding clock hands. And we'd have to set it to the time the other clock showed, too, and possibly change that clock's time, too.

But, all we do is select the option and this shelf shifts over and we go through the uncovered door.

We're in a little dungeon area now, complete with a couple of new enemies, but we'll get them out of the way rather quickly.

As in, we're seeing both in this fight. How fun!

Vector hounds aren't much to worry about, even if their attacks do hurt a little bit.

Unfortunately, they're weak to Fire, and we only have access to Blizzard.

Speaking of Blizzard, here it is in action.

The Hounds have 166 HP a piece, so they're nothing too scary. And if you kill off the other enemies and leave a Hound by itself, they'll Flee instead of finishing the fight.

Nathan can tear these guys apart with ease, using the Genji Glove to its full effect.

The Hounds special attack is Bite, which deals a bit more damage than its regular attack.

I threw Olivia in the back row to start with, but that quickly changes.

The Commander will use this attack when he's left to his lonesome, otherwise he just has a regular attack.

The first hit deals double his usual damage and its immediately followed by a regular attack, which Nathan blocked. But, since they only have 102 HP, they're easily wiped out. They're also weak to Poison, but we don't have access to that, but we don't really need it.

The Commander is worth 85 EXP and 153 Gil, while the Hounds drop 128 EXP and 83 Gil.

We have hidden passages out the wazoo here, and plenty of good treasures to grab while we're at it.

Those chests are easy to grab, since we just have to loop around and grab them.

Olivia's Mythril Shield is better than this, but if you didn't have one around for her, it's a good shield.

This is better than her Mythril Sword, so its a straight upgrade. Also nice, if you didn't have anything worthwhile around for her.

But she still needs some armor. She has a pimp hat, but that just won't cut it.

And now we'll grab another piece of equipment, one that's really great for Olivia. Or anyone who uses magic-based attacks, really, so Terra can make great use of it, too, as can Leave, with his Blitzes.

This increases the damage of magic attacks by 25%, and you can throw on a second earring to double the effect. Oddly enough, you can only stack extra magic damage; if you have two Relics that increase physical damage (like two Gigas Gloves equipped on one person), they'll only get a single 25% boost. Just a little tip for those of you playing along.

Uh...I get a little discombobulated when looking through shots of me going through secret passages. When I take the shots, I'm always thinking that I'll remember it this time.

It never works that way. I can't remember poo poo for poo poo. I don't even remember what game we're LP'ing.

Though, someone did mention I've done Final Fantasy IV Advance and I'm now Final Fantasy VI Advance and they were wondering if I'll do Final Fantasy V Advance.

To answer that question truthfully, I'm not sure. I might. I might not. I'm not super familiar with Final Fantasy V.

Down this hidden set of steps is three treasures.

A Hi-Ether restores 150 MP to a given character.

While an X-Potion completely restores someone's HP.

And hidden down here is a Ribbon, one of the best accessories you can find.

While equipped, the character wearing it is immune to Blind, Zombie, Poison, Imp, Petrify, Silence, Berserk, Confuse, Sap, and Sleep. Ribbons let you not give a gently caress about status effects. I give it to Olivia since...well, why not?

Had I left it unequipped, though, I could have given it to someone in the next scenario.

Which is true of all the bits of equipment people are wearing. I can't unequip them because they're not in the party, but that's okay. We'll make it through the next few scenarios juuuust fine.

Which is an excellent question for her to be asking. Why should Nathan give a poo poo?

To be fair, he has rescued a couple of damsels in distress lately. Maybe it's going to become his new hobby.

I think he's supposed to have a tone akin to being comforting and calming, but I can't help but read this as him snapping at her.

Ultimately, I'm not sure how you're supposed to read that, but I think it's Nathan trying to be nice about it. From what we've seen of him, Nathan is a kind and caring soul, but definitely a stickler for semantics.

In other news, we're out of South Figaro!

However, we have to still get through the cave to Narshe, but it won't take long.

Some new monsters have taken up residence since our last time here, but nothing to be scared about.

Gold Bears are nothing too special, but they can drop some big damage, so I recommend killing them first.

I always expect bear enemies to be weak to Ice, but the Gold Bear is not. They do, however, have 275 HP.

The other guy, the Acrophies, is much easier to kill, with only 145 HP. They can inflict Stop on a character, which freezes them in place, but they shouldn't last that long. They're also weak to Lightning, but slicing them to sushi has the same effect.

The Gold Bear has an attack called Gouge, which deals 250% of its normal damage, so that's why I like taking them out first.

Gold Bears give out 160 EXP and 185 Gil, while the Acrophies gives out 90 EXP and 115 Gil.

At level 13 (I got a little lost while hunting for the Ribbon, as I never remember exactly where it hides), Olivia learns Imp, which can turn an enemy into a Imp. Party members can also be Imp'd, and when they are, their Attack is dropped to 0, and their base Strength is used to calculate damage. Their base defense is also used to determine how well they resist attacks. It also kills most commands and magic, except for the Imp spell and some special commands.

Anyways, let's get the hell outta here.

An odd noise? Near the healing spring? Well, that's probably not good.

:ducksiren:No matter what it is, though, we will kick the poo poo out of it.:ducksiren:

Just before the exit, everything begins shaking.

HEAVEN OR HELL

LET'S ROCK

: If that thing hits us with its magic...They'll be scrubbing two big scorch marks off the wall!

: So what are we supposed to do!?

: I'll draw its magic with my runic blade!

: And you'll be okay!?

: Just you watch!

Alright, Runic explanation time. Olivia can only use Runic when she has a sword equipped.

Runic can be used to absorb magic attacks, from either side. It will absorb one magic attack before needing to be reapplied.

It, uh, it has no effect on being punched in the face, though.

Anyways, the Tunnel Armor has access to two different magic spells, which Runic will completely nullify.

Olivia absorbs the base cost of the spell, and adds the MP to her own pool.

The Tunnel Armor has 1300 HP, so Nathan is going to tear it apart within a few turns, thanks to that Genji Glove.

Its other spell is Thunder, but Runic takes care of that with no issues.

This is the attack you need to look out for.

It hurts just as much as you'd expect a metal rod flung into your throat would hurt.

However, Nathan quickly finishes it off after that, and the Tunnel Armor dies as it lived.

Hmm. I was hoping to have something witty thought of by the time I wrote this.

Yes, we are. Let's get the hell out of here.

But before we do another update, I need another vote from you guys. One that you've made sure to BOLD.

Which scenario do we do next? Do we go catch up with Leave, after his trip down the River Lethe, or do we see how Terra and co. are rockin' around? I'll give you guys about two days, or whichever option hits 10 votes first.

What? I want to play more of the game, so I'm setting a condition where it should make it quicker to get back to it.

Leave fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 18, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Grandpa's Raft Trip to the Mines next. Sabin Leave's is something that's kind of designed to be done last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Leavemywife posted:

However, Nathan quickly finishes it off after that, and the Tunnel Armor dies at it lived.

Is this a typo? It doesn't role all that well off the tongue. I assume you meant as it lived, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, Gotta get off dat raft someday

• Locked thread