Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's artificial turf with the rubber pellets underneath to simulate dirt. The rubber pellets soak up sunlight (because they're black) and the heat has no where to go because it sits on a bed of concrete rather than porous Earth that can soak up and dissipate heat.

I love how Qatar is spending money out the rear end to build a brand new city (not just a stadium) to hold the final in but can't be assed to build domes or enclosed stadiums with air conditioning because it's cost prohibitive.

Ah it's basically advanced astroturf? poo poo I remember the burns I used to get slide tackling on that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

djssniper posted:

Ah it's basically advanced astroturf? poo poo I remember the burns I used to get slide tackling on that poo poo

Sort of. Modern turf is generally more forgiving on slides and impacts than astroturf (which was hard packed plastic on concrete). Modern turf's "grass" is less packed and more flexible and has the benefit of the bed of rubber pellets.

Turf is a vast improvement over astroturf when playing indoor soccer but absolutely bakes in the the sun outdoors and generally makes things like sliding and and falling without hurting yourself more difficult than natural grass.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
I just woke up with massive ooey-gooey turf burns on both my knees from sliding on that dumb poo poo last night and imho turf is massively loving gay, and I don't mean that in the good way all the kids use that word today, I mean 90s and early period Eminem gay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Make the World Cup Great Again. :911:

Nevermind

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

dogboy posted:

I think most Qatar is mostly desert climate and there is no such thing as humidity. Dehydration is a bitch there though because all your sweat evaporates happily.

It's a little bit moot because of playing in winter but close to the gulf coasts it's often "Turkish bath" levels of humid. Like 90% + relative.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dogboy posted:

I think most Qatar is mostly desert climate and there is no such thing as humidity. Dehydration is a bitch there though because all your sweat evaporates happily.

Qatar, if it is anything like the rest of the Persian Gulf, is humid as fuuuuuck. Also its surrounded by water on three sides.

I remember traveling once and stopping at the Dubai airport, curious to check out the city, then immediately diving back inside due to the temp being like stuck in a particularily mean baking oven.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Ok thats quite surprising for me tbh (re: humidity) but I've never actually been there and was just assuming.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

dogboy posted:

Ok thats quite surprising for me tbh (re: humidity) but I've never actually been there and was just assuming.

What is the vagina?

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

ephex posted:

What is the vagina?

So Quatar is the place everyone longs to be in?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ephex posted:

What is the vagina?

lmao

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

ephex posted:

What is the vagina?

brutal

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
E: Wrong thread!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

In more news from our future hosts reporting rape gets you charged with adultery

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/12/dutch-woman-arrested-qatar-after-reporting-rape-court-doha-hotel

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
http://www.blick.ch/sport/fussball/blatter-ueber-auslosungs-bschiss-natuerlich-gibt-es-warme-und-kalte-kugeln-id5143400.html

Basically all cup draws are fixed by heating and cooling the balls according to emperor sepp

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

What a shocking revelation

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Polidoro posted:

What a shocking revelation

Isn't it? I've never heard anyone accuse FIFA of fixing cup draws.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I love that previously they were vehemently denying everything and dismissing these claims as ridiculous but now that he's not sitting on the throne yet, he's throwing poo poo everywhere.

Beyond parody, this poo poo.

E: Ah, actually wait, he's saying FIFA never rigged anything, but UEFA on the other hand, they're bent as gently caress. loving dirty old oval office.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Over/under on deaths in 2018?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36528403

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

50ish. 10 foreigners drunk wandering off into the desert and another 40 or so killed by Qatari armed forces during a regular goal celebration mistaken for a riot

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

50ish. 10 foreigners drunk wandering off into the desert and another 40 or so killed by Qatari armed forces during a regular goal celebration mistaken for a riot

2018 is Russia.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

50ish. 10 foreigners drunk wandering off into the Siberian waste and another 40 or so killed by drunk Russian police forces during a regular goal celebration mistaken for a riot

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

A rather conservative estimate.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

2018 is Russia.

Sorry, got my 3rd world hellholes backwards. The bright side is that now I'm looking forward to all the 2018 editorials about racism in football, though!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

I love that previously they were vehemently denying everything and dismissing these claims as ridiculous but now that he's not sitting on the throne yet, he's throwing poo poo everywhere.

Beyond parody, this poo poo.

E: Ah, actually wait, he's saying FIFA never rigged anything, but UEFA on the other hand, they're bent as gently caress. loving dirty old oval office.
Does anyone else think Sepp suddenly throwing poo poo on the UEFA may be related to the UEFA threats against Russia for his terrible supporters?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Sorry, got my 3rd world hellholes backwards. The bright side is that now I'm looking forward to all the 2018 editorials about racism in football, though!

FIFA will wish for vuvuzelas instead of the monkey noises we'll get instead.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

FIFA will wish for vuvuzelas instead of the monkey noises we'll get instead.

https://youtu.be/Oj6L6Ibv8VI

Still one of my favorites.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lol that's great

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This friggin' owns.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
It's right up there with Emre getting loving destroyed imo.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Just thought you guys should know, Joao Havelange nearly died. Nearly

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/07/02/former-fifa-president-joao-havelange-hospitalized-in-brazil/86635854/

quote:

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Joao Havelange, the Brazilian who ran FIFA for two decades, is being treated for pneumonia in a Rio de Janeiro hospital.

The Samaritano Hospital said the 100-year-old Havelange is in a stable condition. It did not elaborate.

Havelange presided over FIFA from 1974 until 1998, and was credited by many for expanding football into a truly global game.

He was also a longtime member of the International Olympic Committee until resigning in December 2011 amid allegations he took kickbacks from a FIFA marketing partner.

cmon 2016 ol' buddy don't let me down here

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Has Rico arrested anyone from a first world country yet?

I think he needs to get fired cuz he's not doing a very good job imho

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost
New accusations against Infantino:

- Accepting gifts in the form of flights in private jets, payed by unknown third parties (total sum up to 150,000$).
- Infantino refuses to sign his own employee contract and provide his bank details. He states that the compensation offered by FIFA is "insulting".
- FIFA payed several expenses to Infantino even as some of the transactions are not approved by this contract and the tax authorities: Personal driver (Infantino gets a car and driver from FIFA, but somehow this was not enough), a tuxedo, a 11,000$ mattress for his apartment, and 1,000,000$ for the FIFA congress in Mexiko
- Infantino hires his personal advisers without involvement of the FIFA HR department and pays them outrageous salaries and expenses.

http://files.newsnetz.ch/upload//8/6/86251.pdf

Bonus FIFA answer to the allegations: These are misinformation and distractions made by persons who are against positive changes inside FIFA.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Joao Havelange has died aged 100

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

chuggo is BACK posted:

Joao Havelange has died aged 100

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/765532269750747136?lang=en

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Piece of poo poo white man dead. Good.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spicy stuff from Lineker, maybe he can get a chip flavor

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dang, he shows off the emperors new clothes just once and thinks he can get away with anything

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Yes, finally he can look down from heaven to tell FIFA's latest corrupt president that he's doing a great job... a great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yes, finally he can look down from heaven to tell FIFA's latest corrupt president that he's doing a great job... a great job!

lmao