Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm extremely grateful we don't have a parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Epic High Five posted:

I'm extremely grateful we don't have a parliament

Prime Minister's Questions or whatever the gently caress it's called would be awesome though.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/hillary-clinton-prepare-trump-debate-lewinsky-227033

quote:

Clinton preps for Trump’s Lewinsky attack
Democrat’s team searches for a close ally willing to dredge up the most awkward, painful accusations against the candidate.

US Pol: get today's news last week.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

theflyingorc posted:

I think we've hit a new low for stupid conservative controversies: http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/biden-does-the-unthinkable-with-nuke-codes-at-hillary-rally

How do they think the nuclear codes work? Do they think you can just steal them and launch the nukes yourself? Do they think it's just a big red button you can hit and the world ends?

Its not even a secret, there is a fuckin wiki article about it. There are more levels to the security than just "has code, push button"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Of all the risks of dying the average American faces, terrorism is less likely than being crushed by furniture. It beggars belief that we, as a nation of rational adult human beings, have let the national conversation become dominated by paranoid, apocalyptic fears that have little basis in reality. I feel like my country has literally turned into a lunatic asylum.

Don't get me wrong - Orlando and San Bernadino were horrific tragedies and if I was personally affected I'd probably feel completely differently about terrorism. But thinking as a nation we have to face so many external threats and internal problems and must deal with an uncertain world. The only rational response is to assign an appropriate degree of attention to each threat, because our resources are finite.

This sounds obvious, but poll after poll finds that Americans are truly worried about terrorism more than the economy, more than health, more than the environment. How has this happened? How has the home of the brave and the land of the free become the home of the paranoid and land of the fearful?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Prime Minister's Questions or whatever the gently caress it's called would be awesome though.

Yeah, it also means an almost nonexistent chance of a fistfight breaking out

No system is perfect but at least ours doesn't just hand out legitimacy to fledgling Nazi parties because a couple thousand people in Bovine Bugggery, MS are big fans of genocide

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/765550275671228416

Middle East comments not withstanding, Brian Williams to me is still one of the best out there.

On that note, how does NBC do it? They had Tom Brokaw, who is well loved, Brian Williams was just as well received until it came out he lied about a few things, and Lester Holt is also kickass. Look at the other networks, and when their big 1990s national news anchors retired they had revolving doors for a while.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, it also means an almost nonexistent chance of a fistfight breaking out

No system is perfect but at least ours doesn't just hand out legitimacy to fledgling Nazi parties because a couple thousand people in Bovine Bugggery, MS are big fans of genocide

Fair point.

EDIT: wasn't there a time when Obama visited some house republican thing and took questions?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 16, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axe_vendetta posted:

This sounds obvious, but poll after poll finds that Americans are truly worried about terrorism more than the economy, more than health, more than the environment. How has this happened? How has the home of the brave and the land of the free become the home of the paranoid and land of the fearful?

Could easily be a relative thing too. Like, unemployment is ~4%, so even if things are a little crappy they're not nearly as bad as they were 8 years ago. Health care has had major reinforcement the past few years, and there's at least the sense of progress regarding the environment with all the flashy articles about electric cars and whatnot.

If people are worrying about dumb poo poo, it's usually a sign that things aren't too bad at home.

Probably also worth noting that the people freaking out about Terrorism weren't hit nearly as hard economically.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 16, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone pointed out that Trump saying he's going to engage in a new cold war with ISIS is painfully dumb? Assuming ISIS is the USSR in this analogy parallel actions would constitute a pretty severe step down from what we are currently doing under the SAD Obama administration.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axe_vendetta posted:

Of all the risks of dying the average American faces, terrorism is less likely than being crushed by furniture. It beggars belief that we, as a nation of rational adult human beings, have let the national conversation become dominated by paranoid, apocalyptic fears that have little basis in reality. I feel like my country has literally turned into a lunatic asylum.

Don't get me wrong - Orlando and San Bernadino were horrific tragedies and if I was personally affected I'd probably feel completely differently about terrorism. But thinking as a nation we have to face so many external threats and internal problems and must deal with an uncertain world. The only rational response is to assign an appropriate degree of attention to each threat, because our resources are finite.

There was that recent poll where Terrorism is only a white people fear and other races care more about more grounded topics.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Phone posted:

I like how they went out of their way to address things that are near and dear to the Hispanic population's heart, such as:
- Benghazi
- Iraq
- Syria
- Boko Haram
I am especially enjoying the implication that Clinton is somehow responsible for Boko Haram.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wasn't there a graphic posted here about how terrorism and the national debt are basically white people problems? Meanwhile blacks and Hispanics care mostly about racism, police, education, etc. I would love to see more data like that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

nachos posted:

Wasn't there a graphic posted here about how terrorism and the national debt are basically white people problems? Meanwhile blacks and Hispanics care mostly about racism, police, education, etc. I would love to see more data like that.

Hell, I'd like to see how it breaks down into urban/suburban/rural lines.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

nachos posted:

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about.

The national debt is another where everyone who says it's a huge problem I've asked about can't explain why at all. I think they imagine that episode of the Simpsons where all the other countries come to collect at once but are aware enough that they can't use that as an example.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 16, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The sad thing about Brian Williams is he probably legitimately didn't realize he was lying. The human brain is weird, it will easily take an actual memory you had and conflate it with another thing you reported in a similar context, combine it, and you will remember it having actually happened to you.

You hear the phrase "I know what I saw" a lot, but the truth is you really don't. Your vision and memory processing is a ton of guesswork, neurologically speaking.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

greatn posted:

The sad thing about Brian Williams is he probably legitimately didn't realize he was lying. The human brain is weird, it will easily take an actual memory you had and conflate it with another thing you reported in a similar context, combine it, and you will remember it having actually happened to you.

You hear the phrase "I know what I saw" a lot, but the truth is you really don't. Your vision and memory processing is a ton of guesswork, neurologically speaking.

Except for Trump

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Epic High Five posted:

Except for Trump

I have it on record that he has the one of the world's greatest memories.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Epic High Five posted:

Except for Trump

And definitely not Hillary.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Except for Trump

Is there a case of a right wing politician or media personality being caught in a lie and having that affect their career? O'Reilly had a book written about his mistruths and no one seems to care. The closest I can think about is Bush and "no new taxes" but I think that has more to do with taxes in general and Clinton being a better politician.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Radish posted:

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about.

The national debt is another where everyone who says it's a huge problem I've asked about can't explain why at all. I think they imagine that episode of the Simpsons where all the other countries come to collect at once but are aware enough that they can't use that as an example.

Because people often get sold that Microeconomic problems such as debt, are just as important to get rid of when you get to the macro level of economics.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dexo posted:

Because people often get sold that Microeconomic problems such as debt, are just as important to get rid of when you get to the macro level of economics.

lol @ u if you don't have a printing press in your basement

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radish posted:

Is there a case of a right wing politician or media personality being caught in a lie and having that affect their career?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXO1-EhS31o

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

axe_vendetta posted:

24 hour news media

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

computer parts posted:

*On a side note, a lot of issues with gerrymandering would be solved if we simply decreased this ratio. I like a ratio of ~100k per rep, personally.

That would require about 3000 reps, which would be rather impractical.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Radish posted:

There was that recent poll where Terrorism is only a white people fear and other races care more about more grounded topics.

There's a state legislator here in Nebraska who has been a long-serving representative of a predominantly/historically black portion of the only real city in the state, Omaha, and a while back he'd straight-up said that the cops were his ISIS - making this same point that people who have guns pointed in their face every day don't give a gently caress about a bunch of assholes on the other side of the world. Naturally the garbage who live out in the sticks got all up in a tizzy about it while almost everyone in the city was either "albeit somewhat raw, he has a point" or "no poo poo Ernie, drat right."

So yeah, just a long post saying this is echoed elsewhere IRL - terrorism is an abstract concept which only gets play when you aren't threatened everywhere you go and guess who is/isn't threatened everywhere they go?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hillary up 9 points in new NBC poll proving that her convention 'bounce' is the new normal.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

FairGame posted:

Wasn't there some article a few years ago that showed how a bunch of nuclear missile silos had either no password protection or a default password of like "12345" because the people in charge of them had no loving clue or hadn't bothered?
We must be about halfway through the month because this question came up in the USPOL thread. This should probably be in the OP.

Anyway, the answer is yes! But also, no.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OddObserver posted:

That would require about 3000 reps, which would be rather impractical.

Not really, no. Especially if you don't need to convene everyone at the same time.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

The only hard and fast rules is that districts must be continuous (i.e., no islands where you can say "this is District 5 instead of District 7") and that they have to be roughly the same population. This latter one can have issues in states that are not quite eligible for two representatives. So for example, if the average district is ~300,000 people per Rep*, and a state has 400,000 people, then you either have one person representing 400k or two people representing 150k. It gets a little messy.

Other than that, it's basically whatever goes, until a judge strikes it down for being too discriminatory.

*On a side note, a lot of issues with gerrymandering would be solved if we simply decreased this ratio. I like a ratio of ~100k per rep, personally.

The only issue there is with gerrymandering is that Republicans outdid us in 2010. Thankfully, we have 2020 to kick their asses.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FAUXTON posted:

So yeah, just a long post saying this is echoed elsewhere IRL - terrorism is an abstract concept which only gets play when you aren't threatened everywhere you go and guess who is/isn't threatened everywhere they go?
This is pretty accurate. Well-off white people have a fairly large amount of control over their life, so they fear the things that they can't control.

They're not worried about car accidents, because in their mental model those are something that happens to people who mistakes driving, and as I am in control of my vehicle, that's fine.

They're obsessed with having guns because otherwise they'd have to admit that they wouldn't be in control of a scary situation with a gunman.

Random acts of terror, while rare, are a situation where they would feel powerless - and people who have never felt powerless are more terrified of that than anything.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Not really, no. Especially if you don't need to convene everyone at the same time.

The solution is more levels of government. Creation of regional councils, to coordinate midwestern policy to gently caress over wisconsin real gently caress'n good.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ogmius815 posted:

They literally made Tsar Nicholas II a saint. Say what you will about the Bolsheviks (and they deserve every word), but that guy was no one's hero.

Actually he is a passion bearer, but its still bullshit. I mean his sister in law deserves to be canonized, and his children could be argued to have died as martyrs but him and his wife should not be mourned.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 16, 2016

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think they were referring to how for years you'd hear all the time about how terrifying africanized bees were going to be swarming all over north america but they never really moved far beyond the far south

They're still spreading northward, just more slowly than they were, probably because they're more comfortable in warmer climates. (Also the fears about their behavior are pretty overblown. They're dicks, but not as much as your average wasp nest.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

showbiz_liz posted:

They're still spreading northward, just more slowly than they were, probably because they're more comfortable in warmer climates. (Also the fears about their behavior are pretty overblown. They're dicks, but not as much as your average wasp nest.)

There's a lot of suggestion that the fears were because of the term "Africanized".

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Interesting point - that fear of terrorism is largely a "white person problem". Whites tend to be more individual- than community-oriented than minorities and suffer higher suicide rates despite achieving higher in almost all other socioeconomic indicators. Last year Angus Deaton, a very famous economist, wrote a very interesting paper about an inexplicable but very significant rise in mortality amongst middle-aged white Americans NYT. Of course putting all white people in the same bucket is a terrible generalization. I would wager, though, that a lot of these disenfranchised white people are Trump supporters. Perhaps rallying around a scapegoat like terrorism and creating new myths of government betrayal is some reaction to their reduced socioeconomic prospects.

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 16, 2016

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I am convinced that if we had an equivalent GWB would never have been re-elected.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

axe_vendetta posted:

I'm less worried about a terrorist attack killing me than I am about the damage terrorist networks do to american interests worldside, and that, along with foreign policy generally, is my predominant concern in any election.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
On the other hand it's unlikely that Trump will be able to even do adequate debate prep in the first place. If his opponent in the prep actually hits him on anything of substance... well, that would be the end of debate prep right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm less worried about a terrorist attack killing me than I am about the damage terrorist networks do to american interests worldside, and that, along with foreign policy generally, is my predominant concern in any election.

What exactly do you mean by "American interests worldwide?"

I see you go on and on about this but I have no idea what you're referring to. And also, how are terrorist networks damaging them?

• Locked thread