Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

MikeJF posted:

My battery is currently sitting at 62% charge and the percentages listed add up to 80.

Then I guess the 'computed power use' is completely hosed.

E: Unless you topped up your battery at any point?

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It makes more sense if you were using android for the brief period we had the 'gently caress knows' battery section displayed, I can't remember exactly what it was called

But that dude is wrong, its a percentage of used battery, not the total

Its always been that way, it's just not all the info is shown so the numbers don't seem to add up

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

It makes more sense if you were using android for the brief period we had the 'gently caress knows' battery section displayed, I can't remember exactly what it was called

Android System and Android OS were the biggest catchalls. You could even have both at the same time. How those differed from Phone Idle was a mystery.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nah there was a specific line separate to those for a bit

E: found it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Nah there was a specific line separate to those for a bit

E: found it

Wow, I can't believe I've never seen that. That must've been only on the original 5.0 given that that's Lollipop but before they stopped making the numbers add up to 100%. On the one hand I get how Miscellaneous is useless, but so is Android OS, Android System, and Google Play Services. The whole screen is of dubious utility unless it can tell the user which app is invoking things and apparently that's just not possible.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've tried to find a post I made with the explanation of it back in the day but no joy

It really was a :iiam: line though, with googles support page essentially saying it was everything left after the known values

We know x, and we know y, but the total battery use is more so here is 'misc' PS: gently caress you nerd

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
My phone's battery stats have always been consistent with "percentage of total battery" rather than battery used since last charge. It might be different for each phone model or for specific variations of android?

Here's the current screen (Moto X 2014 at 93% battery, having been unplugged for about 3.5 hours):

At the end of the day those numbers have always increased to be about 8-10% or so, depending on how I've used my phone. It never adds up exactly, but I assume that's down to rounding and completely omitting things that have used less than 1%.

It's Android though so it's entirely possible my phone just hasn't got a clue about the missing 95% and these stats are therefore 100% useless.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just assume the battery screen is a filthy lie.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

HelixFox posted:

My phone's battery stats have always been consistent with "percentage of total battery" rather than battery used since last charge. It might be different for each phone model or for specific variations of android?

Here's the current screen (Moto X 2014 at 93% battery, having been unplugged for about 3.5 hours):

At the end of the day those numbers have always increased to be about 8-10% or so, depending on how I've used my phone. It never adds up exactly, but I assume that's down to rounding and completely omitting things that have used less than 1%.

It's Android though so it's entirely possible my phone just hasn't got a clue about the missing 95% and these stats are therefore 100% useless.

You wouldn't get an accurate reading at 93% anyway. Not that it matters, look at how much falls into Miscellaneous on Skarsnik's screenshot. The stats are completely worthless in every way and even the advanced kind you can get with root are pretty difficult to interpret. The best Android can tell you is what the wakelock is and not what invoked it. Additionally, some things (think location services) work where multiple apps can request the same data so Android gives them the data it has but maybe one app wants updated data so Play Services just gets hammered so even with a specific wakelock you might not be able to narrow it down to a particular app. Unless an app uses an oddball wakelock that you can Google for, you're generally in the dark about where it's coming from.

Given that even if the user has all of the data stats are impossible to figure out it's not surprising that the simplified version is completely uninformative.

docbeard posted:

I just assume the battery screen is a filthy lie.

This is the correct thing to do.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
That Engadget link keeps saying that Duo is available today. It links to other articles also written today that say the same thing. It's not up on the store though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Miscellaneous includes things like the resistive load of pocket lint in the USB connector.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That Engadget link keeps saying that Duo is available today. It links to other articles also written today that say the same thing. It's not up on the store though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tachyon

shows COMING SOON on the index and a "Pre-register" button for me. I don't think I'll be installing that, since I'm predicting a market prenetration of 0.1% at best. Maybe if it gets preinstalled on Samsung phones or something.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

HelixFox posted:

I've been keeping an eye on it as the day progresses. Screen for me is on 4% - 147 mAh used which is 4.14% of the total battery capacity so currently they're still consistent with that. The percentages on those items could add to more than you've used if you top your battery up.

I'm just gonna have a look at the source code when I get a chance and confirm it once and for all.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tamba posted:

Can you flash an image (with an untouched system partition, but modified user data) without unlocking the bootloader though? Because doing so when Samsung Knox is involved seems like a bad idea.

Other than that...If you just want to install/uninstall some apps, you could probably create a batch file that runs a bunch of 'adb install' and 'adb uninstall' commands. That requires manually enabling the debug mode on each phone, but should get rid of all the bloatware that isn't installed as a system app.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. We are in a weird spot with this initial batch of phones. They are having some custom software loaded onto them and then being resold to customers. I'm working on some long term plans to use an MDM solution in the future, but for now I just need to strip out the useless apps, add our software and then I'm not touching these phones again.

We may start reselling Verizon service to our customers soon, at which point we'll start the process of using an MDM to manage those devices. I think I will work on the batch file just to get through this round of phones.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

Hangouts is dead, long live hangouts

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/16/google-hangouts-business-focus-duo-allo/

Ok, maybe Hangouts isn't dead, but Google has flat out said they are going to re-focus it on business customers. Hopefully this means they'll keep the consumer side working the same way it has been since Hangouts is pretty much the fundamental staple of all my friends' communications.
Even more of a push to get people off of Hangouts? So I guess I can use Messenger Allo on the web now?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Grim Up North posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tachyon

shows COMING SOON on the index and a "Pre-register" button for me. I don't think I'll be installing that, since I'm predicting a market prenetration of 0.1% at best. Maybe if it gets preinstalled on Samsung phones or something.

I was able to download and install it, but I am running a Nexus 6 currently. I'll have to check after work if the GF can get it on her Turbo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Even more of a push to get people off of Hangouts? So I guess I can use Messenger Allo on the web now?

Nope. They're pretty adamant about it being mobile-only.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

chippy posted:

I think you're wrong.. My battery's on 92% currently. The top item is 'screen'. It shows 1% and the computed power use is 41mAh. 41 mAh is 1.18% of 3450mAh, the total battery capacity. There are another 3 items, all similar levels of use (25-40mAh) all around 1% of the total battery capacity, and all showing 1%. These figures are all consistent with that percentage being 1% of the total battery capacity, not the total battery usage.

If, as you propose, that figure was a percentage of the amount used, then the calculated battery use for the top item should be 1% of 8% of 3450mAh, which is 2.76mAh. If it's meant to be the percentage of the total battery use then the computed power use figure is wrong by an order of magnitude. That would also mean that 96% of the battery use was unaccounted for.

tl;dr: I think you're wrong because the 'computed power use' figure is consistent with the percentage being the percentage of the total battery capacity, not the total battery usage.
It used to be percentage of battery used so far. One of the recent versions changed it to percentage of total battery capacity. Google does love to confuse people.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I can't be the only one that hates how awful hangouts is on mobile now. It runs like dog poo poo on my Nexus 6. constant crashing and other bugs and it's not occasionally, a short convo will have an issue every time.

:hfive:

Captain Yossarian posted:

I was able to download and install it, but I am running a Nexus 6 currently. I'll have to check after work if the GF can get it on her Turbo

On my phone, in the play store, I couldn't install it. Just said coming soon or whatever. Then I followed the link to the play store from the AP article on my computer, and I could install it to my Turbo. Not sure why. :iiam:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I was also able to download and install. MXP.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ilkhan posted:

One of the recent versions changed it to percentage of total battery capacity.

Yep, that's certainly what it seems to be on my 6P, but there are others in this thread that maintain this is not the case.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

myron cope posted:

Interesting, thanks! I also hadn't heard about the watch(es) at all. I have a Pebble but may check one of those out too. What is the purpose of LTE in a watch? To use the watch without a phone at all? I thought that was the point of Android Wear :confused:

LTE's purpose in Wear 1.X was the same as Wifi: expanding the range in which the phone and watch can communicate so that the Watch can retain full functionality in more places (e.g. gym when the phone is in a locker). It also enabled call forwarding.

LTE in Wear 2.0 is more self-explanatory since they've moved away from the Phone companion paradigm and just have the apps connect to the internet directly. Though since watches on Wear 2.0 preferentially bridge their internet connections from the phone over bluetooth when it's in range (for power savings) it's effectively the same thing.

Nifty posted:

My battery life has become poo poo on my Galaxy S7, and "Android System" is to blame. Consistently takes up 30+% of my battery life. I have not rooted my device. I cannot think of any specific app or change I made now that the battery life is bad. I looked up battery monitoring and appears the device needs to be rooted which I am not going to do. Any advice?

A Google search is misleading, you don't need root to access those stats. The XDA community is/was so wound up about the batterystatsservice becoming locked behind a system permission and breaking their apps (despite it never being an official thing to be used in the first place) that they never realized that an alternative was added to the system itself via ADB. If you've got that set up hook up to a PC, open up command prompt/terminal, navigate to a directory you like* and do this:

code:
adb shell dumpsys batterystats --charged > battery.txt
(*unless you're a non-developer and the ADB command isn't global in which case the txt will be in the same folder ADB is)

Battery.txt is pretty human readable, the only potential snag a normal would fall into is that it uses Linux process id instead the human readable app name. So in your case it will be "uuid 1000" instead of the "Android System" you saw on the phone. However, once you've decoded which number belongs to which app (by using the battery stats on the phone as a decoder ring against the "Estimated battery use" section in battery.txt) it's just a case of searching for the number (1000) to find every wakelock belonging to that process and eventually the handy breakdown it provides of the entire process. The "Discharge step durations" at the start is also quite useful for narrowing down when exactly the battery drain happened.

Zorilla posted:

"Android System": the svchost.exe of Android

These days its usually pretty benign unless you're using a Samsung like the OP (the more stuff you add, the more stuff that can go wrong):

Thermopyle posted:

You are a wrong person.

You're actually both right. In 4.4 and under it was "calculated usage as a percentage of total calculated usage" VS 5.0+'s "calculated usage as percentage of total battery capacity".

Skarsnik posted:

Its always been that way, it's just not all the info is shown so the numbers don't seem to add up

The reason the numbers don't add up is a real world consequence of the way power calculations are done. Roughly speaking there are two principal parts: power_profile.xml in /system where the power usage of that devices base components (CPU, screen, Wifi etc) are defined in maH and batterystats.bin in /data which stores the time each app/process uses the devices base components.

So with the Nexus 6P in normal conditions (Scenario A), if App A uses Wifi for 3 hours that would be 82.0 * 3 = 246 maH or 7%.

Now imagine (Scenario B), where App A on the Nexus 6P also uses Wifi for 3 hours. But unbeknown to the user, some local anti-austerity protest gnomes hijack the laws of electromagnetics and impose a 5x WIFI power use tax until the government gives in to their demands (Why? Because I'm too lazy to think of something better that's why). The actual use would be 410.0 * 3 = 2050 or 35%, but the device would display the exact same 246/7% usage as Scenario A since the device is dependent on essentially a static text file to make the calculation.

Now replace "normal conditions" in Scenario A with "when the device works properly" and the gnomes in Scenario B with "Complex web of issues with Commodity electronics/drivers/Linux".

It's not "hiding" anything. The OS just doesn't know. A generated battery.txt calls it "unaccounted".

quote:

Miscellaneous also had a disclaimer which explained everything:

Your screenshot is precisely where the older Kitkat method was worthless. The Kitkat version of this screen would've shown Play Music, Screen, and Cell standby with big percentages without ever mentioning the battery stats only accounted for 30% of the total device power use, leading the user down a wild goose chase of wakelocks and/or screaming at the Play music team on Google groups.

chippy posted:

Then I guess the 'computed power use' is completely hosed.

E: Unless you topped up your battery at any point?

Just like the devices actual power usage can be more than the calculated usage, it can also be less.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Dear Google,

Stop with all the messaging app bullshit, all I want is for you to build Mighty Text functionality into Messenger so I can get my SMS everywhere.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duo is finally rolling out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tachyon&hl=en

AP also put it on their APK Mirror site:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/duo-by-google/duo-by-google-1-0-130018012-rc1_rc29-release/

AndroidPolice has had access to Duo (and most likely Allo) for a while now. The EIC says it works VERY well, even drops the device from WiFi if your video is slow and will move to mobile data. However, if that doesn't work, it'll drop video all together and you can still use voice.

The huge problem? You can ONLY use Duo (and Allo, most likely) on one device and that's it. There is no web app or anything as duo.google.com leads to a promo page for it. I can't get it to install on my WiFi Nexus 7 2013, but since it will drop down to mobile data, I'm not 100% surprised.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 16, 2016

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 20, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also, from looking over some of the reviews, Duo rings through any priority/silent setting you have, and you have to answer the call and hang up, there's no way to refuse the call.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

hooah posted:

Also, from looking over some of the reviews, Duo rings through any priority/silent setting you have, and you have to answer the call and hang up, there's no way to refuse the call.

Oh boy. And it's all phone number based and has that knock-knock 'show video before you answer thing'. Lot of women going to be getting 'look at my dick' calls.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Installed Duo. Now I just need to know a single person in the real world that plans on installing it...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Oh boy. And it's all phone number based and has that knock-knock 'show video before you answer thing'. Lot of women going to be getting 'look at my dick' calls.

Luckily, you can turn that off but it's on by default.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

nocal posted:

Installed Duo. Now I just need to know a single person in the real world that plans on installing it...

tell them that they'll get a Knock Knock from your dick

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

LastInLine posted:

Nope. They're pretty adamant about it being mobile-only.
Oh I know. It's just that's the main feature I use hangouts for.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Is there a combination of root and app/cyanogenmod that will let me install apps to sd without adopting the card as internal storage?

My Moto X Pure just ate another loving sd card. Nothing even detects it exists. Lost stuff on it since my backups failed and nothing decided to complain. I don't want to do this again, and my actual internal storage is too drat small.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vagrancy posted:

good post

You fucker, I just spend 45 minutes digging through AOSP to come back and make a post half as good as yours but saying the same thing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

HelixFox posted:

(Moto X 2014 at 93% battery, having been unplugged for about 3.5 hours):

What sorcery is this?

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

nimper posted:

What sorcery is this?

:shrug: I probably don't use it as much as most people in this thread, as I don't need it for navigation and don't keep the screen on when I'm listening to podcasts, etc. I also check the battery page every now and then and delete apps that I feel like are using too much for how much I use them.

It's at 80% after about 9 hours, and the numbers on the usage page add up to 18%. Seems to pretty obviously be percentage of total capacity.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a site or something where I can input my current phone and money I'm willing to spend on a new handset to see if getting a new one is worth it? I've currently got a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and I'm looking to see if I should get a new phone or not.

I'm on a SIM only contract so I can get pretty much any phone I want to buy.

There's plenty of comparison sites but some stats just aren't that useful (1.2 Ghz but four cores! What does that mean for day to day use?) and I can find reviews for individual handsets but it's hard to tell from them if the experience is better than what I've already got or not.

Maybe I'm just itching to spend money for no reason though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is Carbonite the best choice for SMS backup (without root)? I'm itching for my Note 7 and wanted to make sure my current phone is and ready to switch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

HelixFox posted:

Seems to pretty obviously be percentage of total capacity.

Yes, as mentioned by Vagrancy a couple posts up (and which I can confirm after checking the source), it was changed to be percentage of total capacity in 5.0.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is Carbonite the best choice for SMS backup (without root)? I'm itching for my Note 7 and wanted to make sure my current phone is and ready to switch.

I've been using Carbonite (aka SMS Backup and Restore) for ages and never had an issue. Backup, upload to Google Drive, setup new phone, download from google drive, restore messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't know what Carbonite was but I went to get you the link for SMS Backup & Restore and it's made by "Carbonite". So if that's what you're talking about, yes, that is reliable and simple to use.